Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rolling alts - isn't looking as fun as I thought it would be.......

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

I like how people just concetrate on one thing they like and disregard the whole package...

The game lacks gameplay/balance/content... but it has story!!!!! Well of course it has story!!.. It's STAR WARS.. it's pretty hard to fail on the story part when you have such a rich lore ready on your plate.

Take away the Star Wars from the game.. and you have probably the dullest MMO ever released.

..Cake..

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

That 'calculation' was based on 200 hours to cap per class and that times 8, or even 16. 1600 or 3200 hours! Wow! Of course doing that would be pretty repetitive, only the class story could provide any unique content after a while.

There was a time when some people claimed those hours would all be unique, given the example of a BH and Jedi not sharing a single quest. Truth is you can roll one toon on both factions without repeating content, after that you'll be largely in repeat mode.

The guy that reached cap in 5 days, if he did that twice, he'd have gone through the best part of the game in way less than a month.

Stop right there.

At no point it was ever promised by Bioware there would be more than 8 origin stories. It was always clear that the choice of advanced class and the choice of the skilltree you want to focus on wont influence the story you would go through.

Thus the prediction was always only about 1,600 hours, never 3,200 or 9,600 hours or anything.

Besides, it was also never promised (and personally I never expected that) that quests wont ever overlap, either.

And just for the record, you contradict yourself there. Jedi is Republic, Bounty Hunter is Empire. So if you play Jedi and BH, you obviously would have different questlines.

It is absolutely normal that people rush through content. So if the first person required 5 days to do so, apparently by playing all the time, you can expect others to be even faster in the future. There have been speedruns of Morrowind in 15 minutes or Baldurs Gate in about an hour in the past, too. I require over a hundred hours for playing Baldurs Gate, and I never managed to finish Morrowind, ever.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Personally I like the stories, also the scripts in the first "dungeon" on this ship in the imperial base. I just see this mmo so far rather like a Kotor 3 with multiplayer aspects or a star wars "Guild Wars game", the open world outside reminds a lot of it with its narrow pathes. Its fun so far...but I knew what did await me, reading in forums before.

• CyanKCyanK Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by joeri123

Obviously most of you don't care about the story or something? I do every quest because I love the voice acting and the stories. Even if the quests are already green or grey.

I think everyone knew the story and the whole being in star wars universe was the big selling point. So don't complain afterwards.

I think you're missing the point of this thread, it's not that they don't care about the story, its that playing through it and the dialogue a second time is soul crushingly boring.

You may love the voice acting and the stories now as they are fresh, new, interesting and extremely well done, but..  there will come a point, where if you are anything like the vast majority of MMO players and you roll up that 2nd 3rd or 4th character their novelty will wear off.

Originally posted by Loekii

Can you break away and quest on other worlds, or are you gated from doing such?

In WoW, when I was sick of certain zones, I would just go over to the other parallel zones and quest there.     I know people are saying if you follow the 'story', you repeat content, but are there options to ditch the 'story', and go off to other worlds and quest there?

Thats a good question, but I doubt it. The first ten levels are pure class story and later one everyone is doing the same areas so far I see. Its a world on rails and not a persistant open world, its like Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars and not like WoW.

I did roll already "alts", means I did play two classes to lvl 10 and another one to lvl 8 so far. The thing is that for example the BH and Agent starts in the same region and has almost the same quests, same targets to a certain point. Even buildings are similar on the "dark" side in comparison to the "light side", just have a look at the temples. But hey Iam fine with that, just saying since there are much more important issues to consider witht this mmo.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by spizz

In WoW, when I was sick of certain zones, I would just go over to the other parallel zones and quest there.     I know people are saying if you follow the 'story', you repeat content, but are there options to ditch the 'story', and go off to other worlds and quest there?

Thats a good question, but I doubt it. The first ten levels are pure class story and later one everyone is doing the same areas so far I see. Its a world on rails and not a persistant open world, its like Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars and not like WoW.

Thats not true, you need to get your space ship, happens around level 15+ and by then your on another world already, once your on your ship you can go anywhere you like, however most planets for a level 15 will be way to tought for them, out of their level range for example. so its not wise, but also not impossible.

Alright, Iam lvl 14....thats how I did expirience it so far. Lets see how it looks like with your personal space ship. I was flying around with the public transport ships so far. But its true about the first ten levels.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Dvalon

Originally posted by spizz

Thats not true, you need to get your space ship, happens around level 15+ and by then your on another world already, once your on your ship you can go anywhere you like, however most planets for a level 15 will be way to tought for them, out of their level range for example. so its not wise, but also not impossible.

I think thats the point folks are trying to make. Your locked into doing what BW wants. So while you can go anywhere you are limited to where you can go to advance. In WOW you have options as to where to level after making it out of the starting area.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by CyanK

Obviously most of you don't care about the story or something? I do every quest because I love the voice acting and the stories. Even if the quests are already green or grey.

I think everyone knew the story and the whole being in star wars universe was the big selling point. So don't complain afterwards.

I think you're missing the point of this thread, it's not that they don't care about the story, its that playing through it and the dialogue a second time is soul crushingly boring.

You may love the voice acting and the stories now as they are fresh, new, interesting and extremely well done, but..  there will come a point, where if you are anything like the vast majority of MMO players and you roll up that 2nd 3rd or 4th character their novelty will wear off.

Well my point was that everyone knew what they were getting. Maybe bad wording.

Personally I don't play that often and once I'm level cap and seen most stuff, I just move on. Maybe check out some end-game raids and pvp. But what I'm trying to say is that Bioware has been pretty open about how the game would be and you're blind if you didn't see that this game isn't in for the long haul. (for most people).

Once GW2 comes I probably alternate between swotor,gw2 and wow. And I think, especially for people who play many hours per week, alternating mmo's is the way to go nowadays or you just burn out.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

It's basically:

Starter World — story advances—> Go to planet A or B — story advances—> Go to planet C or D — story advances—> Go to planet E or F, etc, etc, etc.

The game would open up a lot more if there were a few more leveling alternatives.

More variety is what is needed.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Well my point was that everyone knew what they were getting. Maybe bad wording.

Personally I don't play that often and once I'm level cap and seen most stuff, I just move on. Maybe check out some end-game raids and pvp. But what I'm trying to say is that Bioware has been pretty open about how the game would be and you're blind if you didn't see that this game isn't in for the long haul. (for most people).

Once GW2 comes I probably alternate between swotor,gw2 and wow. And I think, especially for people who play many hours per week, alternating mmo's is the way to go nowadays or you just burn out.

Actually its not the vibe i got at all by following the game.

I mean they did promise over 200 hours of story-content, now it turns out its only around 30 hours of -unique- story content with the rest being shared by all players/classes.

I'd be inclined to call it disingenious marketing.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Agreed.

While I really enjoyed 'The Wire', I did not rewatch each episode over and over, nor have I rewatched the series again.   Similarly, I enjoy 'Shawshank Redemption', but I do not watch it every night, nor even once every few months.  

Does that mean I must hate movies and story?  No.  It simply means I do not find any story compelling and entertaining enough that I would rewatch it once a month, nor even 6 times a year.

Story is like a great pasta sause.  It complements a solid pasta dish, making the entire meal enjoyable.  However, by itself, it really in not enough to be a meal, nor can it make over cooked pasta taste great.      

BW, imo, needs to really turn and focus on the main MMO aspects now, so that when they add more story/vo in an expansion, it really complements a strong game, rather than trying to cover up a bland game. 

So you can break away from the story, and go to different world than one that is on your story path, and respectably quest there --- like how a Tauren could go to the Forsaken zones and quest up?

I was under the impression that after the starter worlds, everyone is basically funneld into the same world story archs and side quests?  No?

Do you have any screenshots showing examples?

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

So you can break away from the story, and go to different world than one that is on your story path, and respectably quest there --- like how a Tauren could go to the Forsaken zones and quest up?

I was under the impression that after the starter worlds, everyone is basically funneld into the same world story archs and side quests?  No?

No you would not be able to quest in the zones once you get your ship you will be able to travel to the planets to give you the illusion of freedom but all planets have a level range and its a pretty tight one at the ie 16-20/21-25. There is no choice where to go to quest . This is my main dislike in the game is that while you may fly anywhere after your ship you only have one place you can level at in the world. Atleast in vanilla wow you could level up two toons and basicly level in completly different zones.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

I have one character I play as solo character and three group characters ( so far and all republic side. Basically I have all 4 base classes ). I don't mind running through the shared class with people I group with nor do I spacebar it. So far, the community I have encountered are fine. I have yet to find one person asking others to spacebar the story. On all my 3 group characters, people makes different choices. I know one thing different from other text based quest : People I group with talk about the cut scene stories. We would even discuss the story line and each NPC characters. Maybe I am just the lucky one that get to group with people like that ? 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I learned from Ikeda that this is true you can travel to other worlds, but you cannot run your class stories.  Then someone sent me an email and said that though you can travel to other worlds there is not enough side quest to level up so that you can move onto the next planet...so in a sense it is true but not true because then you will either have to go back and do some questing in original planet to get to a level that allows you to move on or grind the space game to level in order to move on.   

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Really hoping some alternate pathways open up, like several planets in the same level range that are relatively "open."  It would be nice to level a while on one planet, skip around, come back etc.  I can understand the main class story being very linear, but the side quests you really should be able to move through the galazy a bit more.

Of course, I'm notorious for not playing alts.  I can see how the side-quest storyline would be grating though on multiple runs.  I already get annoyed on the Esseles/Black Talon having to go through the conversations every time... not sure how end-game raids/dungeons will be as far as that.  If we have to grind them then they should really allow to skip that stuff if the whole group has already done it and opts to skip.

Overall though I'm loving the game.  It has a lot more to it than the story.  Everyone who talks about it being a copy of WoW either haven't played it, or are way too jaded on MMOs.  Those are the people that I feel sincerely don't like MMO games, they only like their "hopes" and "wishes" for what MMO games "could" be.  Hell even companion management is it's own little side-structure mini task.  The space shooter is pretty fun too, regardless of all the drama.  I'm enjoying getitng parts for my ship and the distraction.

Anyway, it has tons to offer, and I'm sure they'll continue to add more and more content.  Hopefully, some of that content will be alternate leveling pathways and the like.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Margulis

So the idea of playing an alt for their class story sounded awesome to me at first, but I've got to tell you, the thoughts of having to go back through some of these zones just feels icky.  The first time through was helped by the story of the quests, but if you've already seen that once, twice, three times before, that whole extra is kind of over with - and some of this questing and zones just are NOT very fun.

No suprise....The hype should be over for TOR somewhere around mid 2012. Can't come soon enough, I tired of reading about TOR already and it isnt even launched lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ethian

No suprise....The hype should be over for TOR somewhere around mid 2012. Can't come soon enough, I tired of reading about TOR already and it isnt even launched lol

Then it's just going to be the next game on the horizon, different game same conversation.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Bioware already said, they have been working on new planets and quests for some time now. The tools they created to do so, makes it very easy to add in new content.

I think it would be easy to rectify the problem some of you have when leveling a alt. All they would have to do is add in a few more low level and teen level planets that can be shuttled to from your starter and capital planets before you get your ship.

Once you get your ship though, from my expierence so far, everything opens up pretty good.

Originally posted by musicmann

Bioware already said, they have been working on new planets and quests for some time now. The tools they created to do so, makes it very easy to add in new content.

I think it would be easy to rectify the problem some of you have when leveling a alt. All they would have to do is add in a few more low level and teen level planets that can be shuttled to from your starter and capital planets before you get your ship.

Once you get your ship though, from my expierence so far, everything opens up pretty good.

I am not a big proponent of believing nor having faith in developers.   Seen far too many 'plans' that take for ever to appear or simply never do.

I hope BW is working on seeding all planets with multiple levels of content and alternate story paths -- for example having the class stories become open enough that you can follow them on different planets (creating a parallel to class progression in WoW, for example).  

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I am just playing a smuggler and inquisitor so i dont have to do things over again becasue i KNOW i will hate to repeat missions in this game. But luckily i havnt had to :)

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I predict plenty of ESC spam while rolling an alt to skip cut-scenes...sounds exciting!! lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Not that many people feeling the force....

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Adamantine

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

That 'calculation' was based on 200 hours to cap per class and that times 8, or even 16. 1600 or 3200 hours! Wow! Of course doing that would be pretty repetitive, only the class story could provide any unique content after a while.

There was a time when some people claimed those hours would all be unique, given the example of a BH and Jedi not sharing a single quest. Truth is you can roll one toon on both factions without repeating content, after that you'll be largely in repeat mode.

The guy that reached cap in 5 days, if he did that twice, he'd have gone through the best part of the game in way less than a month.

Stop right there.

What? Foul somewhere?

At no point it was ever promised by Bioware there would be more than 8 origin stories. It was always clear that the choice of advanced class and the choice of the skilltree you want to focus on wont influence the story you would go through.

I never said BW promised that, just that some guys on this forum thought that what BW said actually meant what they thought it meant. BW didn't come up with this calculation, just some people on the the forums here.

Thus the prediction was always only about 1,600 hours, never 3,200 or 9,600 hours or anything.

The prediction was BS, no matter which way you turn it. The 200 hours is an overestimate to begin with. Multiplying it by however much is silly. As for by how much, there were people who said they were planning on playing each class both light and dark side, and probably a gray run too. People came up with thousands and thousands of hours of guaranteed unique gameplay. 3 force "sides" x 16 advanced classes x 200 hours is actually 9600 hours, but there was just one person who actually said he considered doing that. I doubt he'll get anywhere near that. He also went on to consider that if he got killed in PvP on one toon by someone and not on the other it would already be a completely unique experience to him. Just shows that unique can be stretched quite a bit if you're determined enough.

Besides, it was also never promised (and personally I never expected that) that quests wont ever overlap, either.

Again, I never said it didn't overlap, nor that I ever thought they wouldn't, nor that BW ever promised that. I've heard salesmen at work before.

And just for the record, you contradict yourself there. Jedi is Republic, Bounty Hunter is Empire. So if you play Jedi and BH, you obviously would have different questlines.

I do not contradict myself if you'd care to read what I wrote. Jedi is republic, BH is Empire, so they do not have overlapping quests (since they're different factions, not because they're different classes). Some people just interpreted this statement to mean that every class would have completely different quests. Anyone who knows how to read a salesman knew better of course. No contradiction in my statement however.

It is absolutely normal that people rush through content. So if the first person required 5 days to do so, apparently by playing all the time, you can expect others to be even faster in the future. There have been speedruns of Morrowind in 15 minutes or Baldurs Gate in about an hour in the past, too. I require over a hundred hours for playing Baldurs Gate, and I never managed to finish Morrowind, ever.

Your point being?

imageimage