Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Raid Finder - A Smash Hit?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As with any new feature added to World of Warcraft, there are the doomsayers prophesying that the end of the game is nigh and woe to those who do not recognize it. In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at the Raid Finder recently added to the game. See what we think of it and then let us know what you're thinking in the comments.

Now, I’m not sure who Tweak (the author of the post) is, nor am I sure if I even care, but I have to give props to the guy for coming off as a pristine example of the typical everyman who plays WoW because he enjoys it and just wants a fair shake at the content. If the rest of the thread is anything like the first ten pages (and from what I hear around the water-cooler it is, even some blues stopped by to shake hands with the players) then there is a solid 183 pages of unadulterated praise for Blizzard’s latest prodigal son. I’m not even experiencing the Raid Finder yet and all this jubilant talk is getting me excited for my first run through it!

Read more of Joe Sanicky's The WoW Factor: Raid Finder - A Smash Hit?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

In before the OP is crucified...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Actually without it, WoW, would be in really desperate shape.  They lost the hard core gamers a long time ago and have been pushing casual gaming for quite some time now.  They really can't turn back, so it's in for a nickel or nothing at all at this point.  Expect more of these type of changes in MoP.  A lot more.  LOL, I'm surprised they haven't come up with pre-queuing for stuff yet.  You pre-queue when you plan on logging on and when you log in, you get ported directly into a dungeon or raid.  No more sitting in a city alt-tabbed out, you just do dungeons or raids or battlegrounds directly.  No need for guilds or anything.  That is the future that awaits us in WoW.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by fivoroth

In before the OP is crucified...

They shouldn't be, because there has been much praise among fans of WoW. Those who are on the outside looking in will see this as a further "dumbing down" of the content, but what they fail to see is a new layer of content for WoW to maintain it's staying power.

There have been issues with LFR, world first guilds exploiting a glitch in the LFR system to obtain loot faster than intended, lead to many week long bans for a long list of players. Blizzard was quick to correct the issue by placing more appropriate restrictions on items in LFR only.

LFR though finally opens the game to everyone (from a PvE standpoint), and it's one-half of a two pronged measure to allow players to "play how they want".

Blizzard also added the ability to obtain Conquest Points used to purchase middle tier pvp items via the random battlegrounds (Conquest previously only being truly obtainable via Rated BGs and Arena).

The LFR system is an excellent tool for what it is meant to be, a way for folks who don't raid a way to see content that was previously not available to them. Raiding and Heroic Raids still exist, and to a degree, Blizzard can up the difficulty of Heroic Raids because of LFR.

Blizzard is making a decent attempt to combat the age of the game, as well as lessen potential losses to other games.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

From what i have heard it working pretty well. And this is coming from a Wow hater no less. It's good to see that blizzard is allowing everyone else to experience raiding. it took long enuff, but better late then never.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Raid guild drama was something a lot of folks, myself included, couldnt deal with. This tool may give people a chance to see content they would'nt have before. Like the fellow above said, the hardcore are mostly gone now so why not give the causuals a shot at the content? Its a good move for Blizz as it may keep players busy a bit longer.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by pmiles

Actually without it, WoW, would be in really desperate shape.  They lost the hard core gamers a long time ago and have been pushing casual gaming for quite some time now.  They really can't turn back, so it's in for a nickel or nothing at all at this point.  Expect more of these type of changes in MoP.  A lot more.  LOL, I'm surprised they haven't come up with pre-queuing for stuff yet.  You pre-queue when you plan on logging on and when you log in, you get ported directly into a dungeon or raid.  No more sitting in a city alt-tabbed out, you just do dungeons or raids or battlegrounds directly.  No need for guilds or anything.  That is the future that awaits us in WoW.

The phrase is "in for a penny, in for a pound", but you're right.  Blizzard hasn't lost the hardcore crowd (as they happen to be the most hardcore game out there right now, if you aren't looking at grindfest JRPGs), so much as they just realize that TBC was as good as they were going to get and they weren't going to be the lot to carry WoW forward (there just aren't enough of them to make a difference financially, after all).  The casualifying (making up new words here) of the game is a natural progression of the pursuit of money, and teh commercial success of WoW is a testiment to the fact that a "hard" game isn't what makes it in this world.  Games that are fun, exciting, and innovative don't have to be hard, challenging, or even repetative (85 levels of quests, dungeons, PVP and dailies will be repetative anyway...) and they will be successful.  While I personally would like to see things be a bit more challenging, I have ways to make the game more challenging (like taking on content that is ovcer my level just to see if I can), so I'm not complaining.  Harddores wanted challenge in raiding, so Blizzard gave them hard modes.  Did they run them?  No.  Did they complain about still wanting challenges?  Yes.  Did Blizzard stop listening to the little whiners?  Yes.  Enter MoP.  I'm laughing all the way to the bank on this one.  I predicted this expansion back in Vanillla.  So enjoy the game for what it is.  I am.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is still pretty hard to raid with a pickup group, no matter the tool used to find one, even in this dumbed down game.

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

As someone who had neither the time nor the willpower to deal with the atmosphere of a raiding guild I found the LFR feature to be a huge boon considering I've always wanted to see endgame content when it's current but never had the means nor the drive to (During WoTLK I never set foot in ICC as any of my characters).

I tried LFR for the first time yesterday and while I ended up joining a group in progress that had only one boss to go, it was a rather enjoyable experience since the new "LFR difficulty" is a nice balance between accessable and challenging. It certainly isn't a "faceroll", you still have to be on point, know what you're doing, and be semi-competent in your role. But it's also easy enough that if you happen to lose a few people in the middle of a fight you can still pull through and win (we lost about 5-7 people during the fight but still downed the boss on our first try).

Of course it is a bit sobering to realize you might not ever get a new piece of gear from LFR since you're competing with a handful of strangers but to be fair Blizzard did say that the main goal of LFR was for more casual players to experience end game content and in that regard I'd say they've succeeded.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Funny enough the players you would think would be enormous detractors are actually as enthusiastic about it as the laymen who rejoice the feature.

You know, they were about the Dungeon Finder, too.  Most popular feature in WoW's history, at least for a while.

But then..the negatives began to grow more apparent over time.  The gloss came off, and attitudes turned.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LawlieLawlie Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Ozmodan

It is still pretty hard to raid with a pickup group, no matter the tool used to find one, even in this dumbed down game.

hard and extremely frustrating, i usually just end up leaving the group after the 15th wipe, i only have so much patience >.<

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I wish Wow would have had features like this and the Dungeon finder from the start of the game or after vanilla cause the game fell apart for me after the Molten Core Raid instance because I hated the Guild system so despicablely in Wow and still do and only the top guilds could even do the next in line which was Blackwing Lair.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I've used it, the PUG 25 groups have been interesting in its language. Interesting as in downright rude, lol. But Blizzard are getting there.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I love it! I just hope we can uuse it to join old raid content soon too. I have many old raid rep and WoTLK raid reps to complete :P
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    *WoTLK achievements
  • ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Ill bet that this could make a good book; "WoW, 10 things i hate about you!"..oh wait...its been done already...

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Wrong there are still quite a lot of top raiding guild that push for heroic content all Blizzard have done is split the raiding community into 3 sections:

Looking for Raid: Casuals PUG's

Normal Raids: Casual / Semi Hardcore raiding guilds

Heroics: Hardcore Guilds

I personally think this a fantastic change and will attract raiders to the specific group in which they come under.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Overall, I think it a wise move.  WoW has been becoming increasingly raid centric.  Instead of leaving the casuals out in the cold, WoW is coaxing them into becoming raiders.

If you can't take the mountain to the casuals, you take the casuals to the mountain.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Just another tool to make wow even easier..... not impressed at all really. 

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Coolit

Just another tool to make wow even easier..... not impressed at all really. 

Rounding up a bunch of loonies to get yelled at in Ventrilo is difficult.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

its doing really well and blizzard plans on adding more to it soon.  but we won't let that get in the way of all the people so desperate for wow to fail and finally die.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

WOW, isnt that some game? I have played it a long time ago. It wasn't called vanilla though but barrens chat was still alive and kicking.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

They lost the hard core gamers a long time ago and have been pushing casual gaming for quite some time now. 

And how is that a bad thing?  Casual players probably outnumber the hardcore 10,000:1, so why would losing one elitist prick thats paying $15 a month be in favor of $150,000 a month be a bad thing....heh

Casual is where gaming has gone too, so either like it and join the masses or continue to QQ about it where most don't care...

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Originally posted by Khrymson

They lost the hard core gamers a long time ago and have been pushing casual gaming for quite some time now. 

And how is that a bad thing?  Casual players probably outnumber the hardcore 10,000:1, so why would losing one elitist prick thats paying $15 a month be in favor of $150,000 a month be a bad thing....heh

Casual is where gaming has gone too, so either like it and join the masses or continue to QQ about it where most don't care...

actually i think your wrong. WoW has gone to the casual gamers, not gaming. seriously most the hardcore gamers are waiting for a certian game to be released so that they can play it. so that they can play something different. Personally im waiting for TSW, its something new not a repeat of a old formula. Funny thing about casual gamers, they are fickle. the second something more appealing pops around they run. you see it happening now, things like "prepay for a year of time" is a sign of this. they need money NOW, thus they are willing to risk less money over a short period. if they need money now then they dont have the support of numbers that they used to.

and before you say how much money they are making. take into account the amount of servers they need to run, the amount they are spending on development, and paying their employees.  Blizzards Big, costs alot to keep a game this size floating. Activision has been happily sucking the money from blizzard for awhile. wonder what they will do when the well runs dry.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Khrymson

I'm hardly elitist or hardcore . Quite frankly I'm not good enough a player to be either .But I do like a little challenge in a game or its no fun at all to play even if your playing on a casual basis . Which is why I quit WoW .   YoYouuyooyou

You make a valid point that WoW needs to cater to the causal gamer but remember theres an awful lot of us in the middle that don't want a game to be too easy . Perhaps it would be wiser of Blizzard to impliment servers with different difficulty settings . Then maybe they would be losing subs on a monthly basis and perhaps would have had 15 -20 million players when they hit thier peak .

As for this Raid finder . I will say the same thing about it as I did about the dungeon finder . Great idea on PVE servers and absolutly appallingly bad of PVP servers because if kills world PVP .

With a beast of a game about to be released today I think Blizzard may have to reconsider the direction they have taken the game or face paying a heavy price for thier mistakes .

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I was excited until I saw the loot is, of course, sub par. Guess that says how they feel about casuals. I'll continue to pass on this game that people claim is for the casual fan.

Just because you can level to max doesn't mean the game is casual when everything else is aimed at the player who gives up his life in order to achieve end game goals. To me EVE is the true casual game. Anyone can do anything.