Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 MMORPG.com Awards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It's that time of year when the staff of MMORPG.com gets together and looks back over the long list of 2011's MMOs in order to hand out our coveted "Best Of..." awards. See what we think were the movers and shakers of 2011. Have different thoughts? Let us know in the comments!

It’s that time of year: the time of gift giving, receiving, eating, sleeping, drinking… and oh yeah, there will be games too. Amid all the craziness that was 2011, there really were a lot of things going down in the MMO world. For our own staff’s take on 2011, we’ll likely remember it as the year that MMOs began to really bust out of their shell, and as the precursor to a stellar 2012. Now, as we all prepare to light our Yule logs and drink copious amounts of eggnog, let’s sit back and recount MMORPG.com’s Games of 2011.

Read more The 2011 MMORPG.com Awards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Good for you Rift. Totally deserves it.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I agree, Rift is a fine game. And I am also onboard with The Secret World.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Rift is the obvious choice.

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars title is the MAIN reason for its beginning success. If you take away "Star Wars", the game would be just another flop.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Solid list of winners.

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Grats Trion and all the winners.  Solid list.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

List is solid. Only two things, well.. questions. Final Fantasy nominee for most innovative, why? TERA nominee for most anticipated, again, why?

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Excellent list, and I'm especially glad to see DC Universe in Most Innovative.

• AriesianAriesian Member UncommonPosts: 20

Go. RIFT!!! Awesome list.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Rift, game of the year? lol you gotta be kidding me :)

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by causs

List is solid. Only two things, well.. questions. Final Fantasy nominee for most innovative, why? TERA nominee for most anticipated, again, why?

TERA is trying some new things with the MMO genre, thus has at least myself anticipating it. I would have put it above SWTOR personally...

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Wait 10 days

Replace entire list with SWTOR.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Originally posted by precious328

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars title is the MAIN reason for its beginning success. If you take away "Star Wars", the game would be just another flop.

You mean like Rift is a flop? =)

Would be quite strange to make it game of the year, when its launched 12.20.2011 ..

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by precious328

You could turn my Assassin into a tree elf and all of the holo-terminals into stone slabs, and sw:tor would still be less redundant than RIFT in the grind, and game-play department.

At the end of the day, they both operate like what you expect from theme-park mmo's. Which one has features "YOU" prefer is really the only thing in question.

Looking down on Sw;TOR simply due to the IP is obviously naive.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Well...Rift technically didn't flop, and it's nice to see something other than EVE win the honors. Although, since it lists game of the year, and not technically mmo of the year, I would have much preferred to see the honors go to LoL, it's had much better success than anything else on the list (so far).

SWTOR and GW2 being tied as most anticipated was the right choice. As the article mentioned, 11 days of release doesn't qualify SWTOR for a game of the year nomination, but it should at least be a consideration for next year. I would almost place Wildstar above TERA as the runner-up though.

DCUO getting most innovative is a bit touchy. It did bring to the table a new way of delivering combat into a mmo, but honestly not much else. Although, nothing else really attempted to innovate mmos, so kudos to DCUO. FFXIV being a runner-up is laughable though. The game systems were a huge step in the wrong direction, coupled with the utter lack of real content.

Rising Star to TSW, sure why not. Wildstar might have been a more appropriate choice, or even Firefall. Again though, TSW looks like it's doing many things right (especially in terms of setting), so kudos.

Agree with the best Hybrid MMO. LoL has proven to be extremely successful, and is the biggest thing to happen to MOBA since DOTA was created.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

GREAT list of awards!!

RIFT trully deserves the "Game of the year" award. Kudos to Trion!

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Funny seeing Guild Wars 2 win the "Most Anticipated" title 2 years in a row. XD

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by denshing

Wait 10 days

Replace entire list with SWTOR.

I lol'd:)

Good list. I agree with almost all rewards.

Eat me!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Agree with everything on the list, except most innovative should be Rift...I mean they come out with new content every month...that's innovation :)

DCUO has cross-platform...been done (and you can even play with others on different platform, FFXI)  Cinematics...been done (FFXI again)...more i think about it, DCUO copied alot from different games...not very innovative...

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Well have to say I agree with the list, but what a sad sad sad state this genre is in when rift gets the game of the year.  I hope for the day when an MMO can win multiple game of the years. But they are not made for that anymore.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I've never played Rift, but in every demo I've seen it looks 95% identical to WoW.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

congrats to Rift.  Also, I guess technically SWTOR wasn't really made by the same guys that made KOTOR because EA owns them now and ruined the game.  When did EA ever create a good MMO?  They should just stick to sports and battlefield.  Give BioWare their freedom back.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Shows you what a crappy year for MMOs it was for Rift to win Game of the Year.  Yikes.  

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by causs

FFXIV has many problems, but it is more innovative than most. You have the armory system for changing and creating classes on the fly, crafting and gathering that are their own full classes with their own content styles, Grand Companies that provide a sort of NPC guild system, what used to be an active combat system, fast travel via the anima teleportation, and several other features that aren't found in the standard MMORPG playbook.

<3

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Great list, I agree with all except for the last.  League of Legends just is NOT a MMO in any shape or form.  Fits the FPS/Strategy hybrid period.  Besides League of legends playerbase is the worst I have encounted in an online game, hence I would never rate it highly.  Just my opinion of course.

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

Go Rift, the game deserves the title.

SWTOR is just an average game with a consacrated name that belongs to George Lucas. Take the name out, the game is just as good as Atlantica onine.

Guild Wars2 Will eat SWTOR alive with all the Luca's fanboys crying over it.