Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best thing to say to the shutting down is....

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Theiskareot

It is about damn time...

After all the lies

After all the missleading posts...

After all the fanbois of the NGE claimed the game was great as servers closed and people were less and less in droves only to tell us "OH NO we are busy"....

After all the online info of what Dev members did, said, left... or quit.. or jumped ship... or posted..

After all the Mr. Smedley himsef said about the game, the "MISTAKE" and still charging people money for it..

AFTER being told things, in a expac would be there and how it would function.. and lets not forget charged people but had to actually GIVE BACK MONEY on..

(I want to note something here)... SWG IS THE ONLY GAME EVER that had to PAY PEOPLE BACK AFTER LAUNCHING A EXPAC that people installed) --- Now I want you to think about this...

THEY CHARGED PEOPLE/Misslead people/HAD TO PAY US BACK...   Do you realize how bad that is?  Yet the NGE fanbois paid them... going forward... boggles my mind.

In the end this is the fact:

"If anyone remembers.." --  THAT Post.. that one post that one day...

"My UNCLE, is a friend of a friend... and this is getting ready to HAPPEN to SWG"....  you will lose everything.....".....

We warned them, we told them.... we left.   

SO you have to wonder, what Smedley was thinking... and really why he didnt listen to us. 

So sadly the score ended like this -

PRE-CU - told ya so's... 1

CU's - told ya so's ...1

NGEr's... 0

SWG fans?  Lost it all as sad as it is.

But hey... Thank God they got those paintings out there for people... for housing.. that nobody was around anymore.. lol.

+1

great post OP.

we won, $OE the eternal enemy of online gaming lost.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The sick, ailing dog that is SWG has finally been put down.

Good riddance.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

SWG was a bug ridden mess from day one, released way to early and built more on dreams then logic... I was there and saw it with my own eyes, and despite what soem of the sandbox fanatcs would like to claim the only things that worked in that game was the crafting... If you crafted combat gear and buffs... Tailoring was broken from day one to the day they closed... Not to mention the "social" profesions... If you decide to make them make sure you have some or any form of content for them.

"Class" balance was a joke on the level that it makes WoW look like a paragon of utter balance and zen, gridning was broken (medic tumble macro... among other)

Yeah you can keep all the rosetinted nostalgia you want... But it was not a good game... It was a horrid game with a few good parts. And sure those will be missed but they did not make a good game.

This have been a good conversation

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by dinams

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by Sandbox

Originally posted by SysOpPsyche

You're still here?

That’s a new one… not!

This is a special occasion that deserves some extra trolling efforts.

I'd echo the comment..

6 years later and you're still crying over SW:G

+1 internets

Theres nothing good in the closing of a game

Its less one option -.-

I actually Agree that the closing of Any Game is not a good thing.

I'm just astounded at the lack of ability by the "Pre-NGE/Pre-CU/Pre-Patch 9 FTW!!" whiners that are STILL complaining 6 or 7 years later and can't seem to Move on.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I'm just astounded at the lack of ability by the "Pre-NGE/Pre-CU/Pre-Patch 9 FTW!!" whiners that are STILL complaining 6 or 7 years later and can't seem to Move on.

Who would pay to keep them running hipiap?! You?! Are you under the impression that gaming companies do it as a public service and owe you access to the game?

And please stop confusing others feeling that pre-NGE the game was better as "not being able to get over it"...it's NOT. It's stating what HE feels on the game, just like you do. You can disagree, but do it with reason, not name calling.

• AquitisAquitis Member Posts: 24

Pre-cu was way ahead of its time.  I have been waiting for a game like it ever since.  It is true that it had bugs but not game breaking.  Considering the amount of things you could do in that game the bugs I find forgiveable.  It is crazy to imagine a modern MMO where you PvP and you have no idea what your up against because few people played with the same class combination.  

My opinion is that SOE was under a lot of pressure to add jedi and this was almost unstoppable.  I wish they had spent more time simply fixing bugs and upgrading the weaker classes.  They also could have implimented Jedi as just another class that was ballanced to the original classes as an expansion.  People who buy the expansion get to play as a jedi I would not have cared. 

If SWG opened back up with Pre-cu servers I would play it over anything else out on the market.  And I think there would be a 100k people or more who would play with me. 

Originally posted by TUX426

Who would pay to keep them running hipiap?! You?! Are you under the impression that gaming companies do it as a public service and owe you access to the game?

And please stop confusing others feeling that pre-NGE the game was better as "not being able to get over it"...it's NOT. It's stating what HE feels on the game, just like you do. You can disagree, but do it with reason, not name calling.

Somehow I missed this.

SW:G could have been Taken F2P.  The SW:G TCG proved that people were willing to spend money on luxury items that didn't really matter to actual Game Play. 

They could have added Paintings and Vet Rewards and Discontinued Loot from themeparks or the Japanese servers to the F2P store. They could have added Chassis and Planets to the F2P store.  They could have added new armor and weapon skin schematics or Crates of Spice. A Nightsister Bracer or the Nightsiser Clothing or an Ewok Crossbow or Fruit Carts/Meat Carts..

They could have also turned it into a Credit sink/Credit sale Store for those with more money than credit making ability or vice versa.

I have always agreed that Pre-NGE was Better.  But for me, I felt it was better because you had greater profession choices.

The Content added by LA/SOE from 2003 to ToOW do not compare to the Content released into SW:G from 2006 to Shutdown in 2011.

Most of the people here have agreed with me when I've commented that the best option of SW:G would have been the CU professions with the Pre-CU NPC/Mob AI and 2011 era Content.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Somehow I missed this.

SW:G could have been Taken F2P.  The SW:G TCG proved that people were willing to spend money on luxury items that didn't really matter to actual Game Play. 

Sony wanted to take Galaxies free to play, and even tried to negotiate it into the license that expired in December, Lucas Arts said no.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Deleted User

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

The worst thing about it is that the players will now likely go to other mmos and everyone else will have to listen to their bs about how great the game was, so great that it's been dying on it's arse for years now.

MMO's today couldn't handle the mature player base of SWG. Most SWG players that I played with are in my age group of 35-45 year olds. I know it is hard to believe, but some of us stuck around after NGE and will play until the lights go out in a few days. All I can say is...see you all in SWTOR.

/salute

ouch. from one dying mmo to the other.

and i'm not actually being snarky. i really wanted a good star wars mmo. i was late to swg, so it was dead in game when i gave it a shot. didn't hate it. this one, though, i just get the continual feeling i'm secretly beta testing it for them and it'll get released in 4-5 years.

unfortunately, i don't think the playerbase will hang around on this one waiting for it to evolve beyond being just a good set of character stories you can only really play through once.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

finally swtor has the sw market for themselves?

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

Pre-CU SWG was superior in terms of crafting professions, the crafting system, open world feel, player cities, resource spawns, skill based characters, player housing/structures, non-combat professions. This is an extensive list, and no other MMO since comes close or even tries to, and that's why most MMOs in the last 8 years seem so stale to me.

The problems came from the combat professions. It also didn't help that there wasn't much content. Some people appreciated that there wasn't any linear content path, but others will always need to be led by the nose in the form of developed content progression.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Was the remaining 2k players in SWG before shutdown really competition for SWTOR?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Was the remaining 2k players in SWG before shutdown really competition for SWTOR?

Personally - no. SWTOR isn't even in the same class as SWG. Dumbed down piece of crap. The only effect this had on me is I'll never give Lucas another dime and my kids will be steered clear of Star Wars fandom (like he's not doing a good enough job at it himself)

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Originally posted by Omali

Somehow I missed this.

Sony wanted to take Galaxies free to play, and even tried to negotiate it into the license that expired in December, Lucas Arts said no.

That's what I heard. The game was making money at the time of close - that is why they added so much content. The TCG brought in a lot of revenue. SOE never wanted to shut down. I heard this from a couple of folks who would be in a position to know, and had no motive to lie.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The worst thing about it is that the players will now likely go to other mmos and everyone else will have to listen to their bs about how great the game was, so great that it's been dying on it's arse for years now.

As it turns out your words were very prophetic as that is EXACTLY what some of them tried to do in the TOR forums. It was quite entertaining to see fans of a game that at best had 50,000 subscribers lecturing fans of a million sub game what is good. Now I don't feel too bad about what happened to them. They chose to support a company that had been caught red handed lying to its customers and treating them like crap. They were like stepford wives in the way they constantly kissed up to that company and explained away any and every deceitful thing SOE did. They got what they deserved.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by ktanner3

As it turns out your words were very prophetic as that is EXACTLY what some of them tried to do in the TOR forums. It was quite entertaining to see fans of a game that at best had 50,000 subscribers lecturing fans of a million sub game what is good. Now I don't feel too bad about what happened to them. They chose to support a company that had been caught red handed lying to its customers and treating them like crap. They were like stepford wives in the way they constantly kissed up to that company and explained away any and every deceitful thing SOE did. They got what they deserved.

That was stated by bubbyhopper before SWTOR was released, and knew what it was like. SWTOR is already dying, from the get go. It took the NGE, over 2 years after its release, for SWG to start to die.

But still, even the NGE has been the only game I have been addicted to, and there will never be a game like it again, which will keep me at it. SWG will always be my most played game in Xfire.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I would still put my money on TOR not lasting as long as a pure subscription game, without a free x number of levels gameplay deal.

Given the size of TOR's budget, and the MMO market, it could easily be argued that TOR is a bigger disappointment than SWG...SWG had problems, and we all know that TOR does.

As far as deciet, I don't feel BW is any better, they promised a lot of things that were blatant lies imo, I got my money out of TOR, but as a mmo it is very lacking...

I also find it funny you spared Lucas in the rant, as he was gepeto, and pulled the strings, he has shown he is a tinkerer, I am sure he is not happy with TOR, for $200+ million, it is a disappointment...I have in my post history that I thought due to the IP, budget and everything else, that the game would hit around 3-4 or 4-5 million...It wasn't my thing, but I think it will probably settle in at 4-500k western subs, which isn't hugely over what SWG had at one time, and it wasn't enough for Lucas, think they had around 300k and he wasn't happy...

I put more blame on Lucas, than anyone, SWG had things that needed fixed, balance issues, and needed more content, but it didn't need to be made into a new game, I hope for the TOR players that like it, that Lucas doesn't pull this on them too...No gaming company basically rewrite their game and makes it almost like a new game...

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by superniceguy

That was stated by bubbyhopper before SWTOR was released, and knew what it was like. SWTOR is already dying, from the get go. It took the NGE, over 2 years after its release, for SWG to start to die.

But still, even the NGE has been the only game I have been addicted to, and there will never be a game like it again, which will keep me at it. SWG will always be my most played game in Xfire.

SWG started to die well before the NGE. It was losing subs.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

Somehow I missed this.

I know.

LEC could screw up a wet dream.

Originally posted by Fishermage

Somehow I missed this.

That's what I heard. The game was making money at the time of close - that is why they added so much content. The TCG brought in a lot of revenue. SOE never wanted to shut down. I heard this from a couple of folks who would be in a position to know, and had no motive to lie.

And there is the other point....debate the active sub numbers all you people want to....between 2k to 30k players/subs is the range in speculation I've heard over the past 9 months.

The TCG made a butt load of coin for LEC/SOE

SOE didn't want to shut the game down...and they had the perfect excuse with the big hack of 2011.  They could have kept the game Off Line and just said "sorry, games not worth being brought back up."

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Ouch, has the OP been in a coma since 2005?

I can imagine that rage if he'd just lost his Creature Handler (or whatever) yesterday but OMG.

SWG didn't lose half it's playerbase after the first month or two like SWTOR.

Credit where it's due!

Do you really think anyone will remember SWTOR for anything good in 5 years from now?

It will most probably be remembered as the downfall of BW/EA.

Originally posted by kobie173

Originally posted by superniceguy

SWG started to die well before the NGE. It was losing subs.

How is it the majority of SW:G players don't understand that ALL MMO's start to die after they are launched?

Games gain and lose subs at all points regardless of Overwhelming changes or lack/plethroa of content or lack of expansions or the wrong color on the tip of the sparkle baton for the Dancers that got pushed back in Favour of Bug fixes for Jedi and BH.

GAMES LOSE SUB"s.

SW:G was loosing subs in 2003 from lack of Content and no Jedi at launch. And in 2004 because stuff was bugged to all hades and the dev's were outright pandering to Jedi and BH.

SWLG was loosing subs because of Perma Death and how hard and Random the Jedi Hologrind was....1 prof unlock or 32 profs to unlock or somewhere in between....ugh..

Corpse runs made people quit and they barely lasted 5 months (if that, the memory is hazy after 5 shots of tequila).

People that were hard on, gears for life ready for JTL quit after the expansion hit because it wasn't a Rail Shooter...or the quit because it Was as unqiue as EvE space combat...and that you couldn't face roll through your specials to insta-win.

Or the stealth nerfs to professions that were actually showing they had a chance in PvP verses Jedi and BH and CM/TKM

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

How is it the majority of SW:G players don't understand that ALL MMO's start to die after they are launched?

Games gain and lose subs at all points regardless of Overwhelming changes or lack/plethroa of content or lack of expansions or the wrong color on the tip of the sparkle baton for the Dancers that got pushed back in Favour of Bug fixes for Jedi and BH.

WOW did not, it just grew. It started off small and then attracted people

Apart from that, what you say is true, but you did not notice the lack of players in SWG (or other MMOs) as much, even on Valcyn, as you do in SWTOR

SWTORs problem is that it has too many servers and they are all instanced like STO, probably to prevent crashing, but it keeps it from having that MMO feeling. STO has less players than SWTOR but you see more people around and you certainly do not feel like you are the only one playing, unless you want to get into an instanced mission and not have any one (automatically) join you.

No MMO has dropped in population as fast as SWTOR has.  The second problem is that SWTOR is more of a single player game, and that once you hit max level you are virtually done with it, except create another character. It is like a single player game, and you can experience it with Mass Effect (an many other single player games) without paying a monthly fee

In SWG, one character was sufficient to play the entire game. The only time you needed more characters was when there were not enough other players around with a profession to supply you with stuff. There was plenty to do in SWG once hit max level.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

No point explainning to new people what was the gaming experience of SWG before SOE scrwed it up.. they will never get to test it and play it.. so they have no idea on how todays mmos are crap compared to it.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I would do anything to have pre-nge SWG back tbh. I dare say there are many many others here that would too.