Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tyranids: To Be or Not to Be?

Comments

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

I say leave the 'nids and necrons as an npc race, hostile to everyone.  If people wanted to run around as those 2 races then why not make it as a monster play option that you would unlock with your regular character through questing or achievements.

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

• cheshyrecatcheshyrecat Member Posts: 137

Originally posted by Dnomsed

I say leave the 'nids and necrons as an npc race, hostile to everyone.  If people wanted to run around as those 2 races then why not make it as a monster play option that you would unlock with your regular character through questing or achievements.

I think that's a perfectly viable idea.  However, I think a lot of people would like to play one of these races as opposed to the others.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by cheshyrecat

I think that's a perfectly viable idea.  However, I think a lot of people would like to play one of these races as opposed to the others.

I agree, though I think the basis of a race like the 'nids precludes much in the way of depth and staying power for playing full time.  The races in 40k with sentience along the lines of reality are far easier to write story for and create meaningful content.

Imagine if you will a 'nid infested world in DMO:  You have tons of npc's all over the place wreaking havoc plus all the trappings gamers are used to in MMO's, quests, dungeons, pvp areas, etc.  At the culmination of a group based dungeon, one of the achievements for downing the last boss is the 'nid playable unlock.  Now that players run through the dungeon his accounts unlocked for 'nid play.  He can start as part of the ravening horde as a nameless 'gaunt and through 'nid unlocks eventually "evolve" (unlock) the ability to gradually take on the role of more advanced synapse creatures.

Would be one helluva lot of fun and the most bad@$$ pet classes ever invented, hehe.  The potential for development is vast.  'Nid players could be initially limited to running in open world pvp and eventually earn the right to join scenarios and possible even take up the mantle of sub-bosses in a pvevp styled dungeon.  

Would give players options for running in their favorite units shoes (hooves?  hehe) but not break the lore so much as to have genestealers standing shoulder to shoulder with Chaos and whatnot in the auction house, lol.

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

That idea has potential.  Honestly, I'd just wanna play one of those races (necron/nid).  As long as I get to pounce on a smurf marine or 3 and rip them to shreds or hit him with a gauss blast to turn him into vapor, I'd be pretty happy.

Would give players options for running in their favorite units shoes (hooves?  hehe) but not break the lore so much as to have genestealers standing shoulder to shoulder with Chaos and whatnot in the auction house, lol.

I'd be pretty annoyed if I see any of the races standing shoulder to shoulder in an auction house (ala wow).  I love auction houses but considering the level of xenophobia throughout the 40k universe.... i hope I never see any 2 races hanging out at the bar having a cold one.

Though, come to think of it I vaguely remember an instance of a small group of greenskins in a tau encampment.....So maybe there are a FEW exceptions to the xenophobia rule.

• DreawingDreawing Member Posts: 362

tryanids could work, but i would not want them to be playable.

I am hoping tyranids are more like a left for dead zombies idea like.  were your zombies are the hormagraunts and stuff, then your lictors and stuff are the witches and gas like zombies.

Have it as a world event. Put on planet. tyrannic envasion. Then you can advoid helping the planet or help the planet. you will get the best loot if you succeed. Though it will be hard. And have quests that go through stages . in your city.

kill 9 thousand small tyranids

or later on. find 13 generation lictor and get it to the inquisitor of the ordor xenos. To bisect it to make a chemical bullet to kill the overmind and space by taking you and everyone to the hive mind to destory it :D who ever destorys the hive mind and everyone helping wins :D 1 in every 4 months event :D on random planets.

Though why i think tyranids can be playable is that. Some of the bigger tyranids can survive on there own with out the minds control and can fend for themselves. or lead a huge lot of little ones to battle for 1 basic mission.

Though i am hoping there will be npc squad mates with your character you can control.

and 1 more thing. No one said orkz are playable. Though i am senseing this game to be more of a chaos vs imperium. with orkz as the main 3rd npc faction. nothing been called yet but 2 factions and 1 playable race. with other 2 going to be adeptus mechanicus , and imperial guard.

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

If they go Bubblegum Two faction holy trinity Gear Grind you can forget it. I think from what I see so far you will be lucky to play something other than just human. Two factions in this game is just rediculous. In Warhammer everyone can fight anyone at any time. If they rip off WOW this game is vaporware just like that other Warhammer wow rip off Dead on Arrival.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Good, that means you'll stay the fuck away from my awesome 40k MMO so I don't have to deal with yet another 3 faction whiner. Go ahead, lead a revolution. Find all the people who are ever going to piss and moan about not having a 3rd faction and rally them against this game so that the rest of us never have to see you ruining our game with your drivel.

There have been hundreds of attempts in as many different forums, videos, comments and blogs to convey the fact that games workshop doesn't want a 3 faction conflict, and still you drones persist. If you can't find one, or simply refuse to read them, my one hope is that you and yours will continue to be this stupid for the rest of your lives, thus reducing the chances of you ever procreating.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Is this Blizzards new MMO ?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'd say nay for tyranids, they are too much of swarming faction and I dont see how individual play would suit that well. I see tyranids being an awesome AI enemy that tries to overwhelm you, but not really as a playable race. I dont think there would be any good system to present mission objectives or general... Well anything, the race just does not suit individual play imo, at all.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Entropy14

Is this Blizzards new MMO ?

Hope this is some kind of bad joke, or else its reeeeaaaally sad.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by Azaria

If they go Bubblegum Two faction holy trinity Gear Grind you can forget it. I think from what I see so far you will be lucky to play something other than just human. Two factions in this game is just rediculous. In Warhammer everyone can fight anyone at any time. If they rip off WOW this game is vaporware just like that other Warhammer wow rip off Dead on Arrival.

newsflash, 40k is almost always 2 sided, and theres one key word you even said but dont seem to understand, everyone CAN, note, CAN fight everyo0ne, not do all teh time without any thought.

Its called strategy, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, eldar ally with the imperium, same with tau, dark eldar ally with chaos, it happens.

Heck, the Eldar helped Cadias fleet agaisnt Abaddons Blackstone Fortress during the 13th black crusade.

40k = side vs side, always will, theres a reason why you dont see 5 way battles in teh tabletop much, because the sides arnt stupid enough tog et whiped out based on racial bias.

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by warmaster670

newsflash, 40k is almost always 2 sided, and theres one key word you even said but dont seem to understand, everyone CAN, note, CAN fight everyo0ne, not do all teh time without any thought.

Its called strategy, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, eldar ally with the imperium, same with tau, dark eldar ally with chaos, it happens.

Heck, the Eldar helped Cadias fleet agaisnt Abaddons Blackstone Fortress during the 13th black crusade.

40k = side vs side, always will, theres a reason why you dont see 5 way battles in teh tabletop much, because the sides arnt stupid enough tog et whiped out based on racial bias.

Yes, there is no reason to indulge in the living world of Warhammer 40K, we should just look forward to a recreation of the table top miniatures game.

We see how well this worked for WHO.

We should ignore the ideas behind the canon, that every thing fucking kills everything else and break it down into a nice neat good versus evil. Law versus chaos. Order versus disorder.

Making the game into every race for it's self would show to much creativity now wouldn't it. It would just be to hard.

Why make a virtual world when a game will do.

Originally posted by Ubermeh

We should ignore the ideas behind the canon, that every thing fucking kills everything else and break it down into a nice neat good versus evil.

Except, thats NOT how teh cannon is, theres this little thing people here dont understand,  tehre called diplomacy and strategy, get it through yourt head, THEYLL ALLY, just because they dont trust each other and fight doesnt mean they DONT ALLY.

You can keep living in denial that 40k is nothing but endless slaughter of whatever moves thats not you, but thats NOT how it works, I guess that Eldar messanger in teh space marine book was never talking to the leader of that imperial world, they just shot him on sight since thats how ot works, same with the Eldar/Guard in winter assault,  never worked together, same with fire warrior, the tau and ultramarines just killed each other on site, same with teh eldar that helps Marneus Calgar in yet another book story, Calgar just shot him on sight /sarcasm.

We should ignore the ideas behind the canon, that every thing fucking kills everything else and break it down into a nice neat good versus evil.

Except, thats NOT how teh cannon is, theres this little thing people here dont understand,  tehre called diplomacy and strategy, get it through yourt head, THEYLL ALLY, just because they dont trust each other and fight doesnt mean they DONT ALLY.

You can keep living in denial that 40k is nothing but endless slaughter of whatever moves thats not you, but thats NOT how it works, I guess that Eldar messanger in teh space marine book was never talking to the leader of that imperial world, they just shot him on sight since thats how ot works, same with the Eldar/Guard in winter assault,  never worked together, same with fire warrior, the tau and ultramarines just killed each other on site. /sarcasm

So what you are saying is that you want realism in your fantasy??

In the future there is only war. Warhammer 40K is a dark place and while the Eldar may ally with you today they will be burning your planets tomorrow if it is of benefit to them.

I suppose what this MMO will turn out to be is a story line with players in it that will keep you on the rails. Newbie zone for Space Marines will probably have you running from one high ranking imperial official to another fighting space Orks and then move to the next zone to fight Tau. Then the end game will be the forces of chaos.

PVP area, I suppose, will have some Spacemarine/ Eldar love fest fighting "the other guys".

Once again a vast universe with much possibilty will end up being a move here, kill this, oh but don't attack that guy. He's friend.

The wussfication of Warhammer 40K from its roots is sickening.

You can keep living in denial that 40k is nothing but endless slaughter of whatever moves thats not you, but thats NOT how it works, I guess that Eldar messanger in teh space marine book was never talking to the leader of that imperial world, they just shot him on sight since thats how ot works, same with the Eldar/Guard in winter assault,  never worked together, same with fire warrior, the tau and ultramarines just killed each other on site. /sarcasm

In the future there is only war. Warhammer 40K is a dark place and while the Eldar may ally with you today they will be burning your planets tomorrow if it is of benefit to them.

I suppose what this MMO will turn out to be is a story line with players in it that will keep you on the rails. Newbie zone for Space Marines will probably have you running from one high ranking imperial official to another fighting space Orks and then move to the next zone to fight Tau. Then the end game will be the forces of chaos.

PVP area, I suppose, will have some Spacemarine/ Eldar love fest fighting "the other guys".

Once again a vast universe with much possibilty will end up being a move here, kill this, oh but don't attack that guy. He's friend.

its so funny watching the people that think they know about 40k talk about it.

there is only war, well, you DO know that war doesnt mean everyone killing everyone right? guess you missed those WW2 history lessons, ill give you a hint, it wasnt 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.

Also, you DO know that just because your working together doest mean your in some love fest right?

You can keep crying about it, and trying to maike the FACT that this fits more with the cannon somehow some decision to lure children into tehg ame, but your only showing your lack of 40k knoledge even more.

its clear you have no interest in this game, unless they butcher the 40k universe by making all the races blind kill everything hoards like the nids, speaking of nids, guess the necrons working with teh ultramarines agaisnt a tryanid invasion never happened to right?

Sorry this game will be to complex, seeing how theres going to be a hint of diplomacy and strategy involved with teh different leaders decisions, and not dooming there races to extinction by letting there stronger foe whipe them out (which, sicne you wont know, would have happened already if the imperium didnt except help from alien races.

there is only war, well, you DO know that war doesnt mean everyone killing everyone right? guess you missed those WW2 history lessons, ill give you a hint, it wasnt 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1.

Also, you DO know that just because your working together doest mean your in some love fest right?

You can keep crying about it, and trying to maike the FACT that this fits more with the cannon somehow some decision to lure children into tehg ame, but your only showing your lack of 40k knoledge even more.

its clear you have no interest in this game, unless they butcher the 40k universe by making all the races blind kill everything hoards like the nids, speaking of nids, guess the necrons working with teh ultramarines agaisnt a tryanid invasion never happened to right?

Sorry this game will be to complex, seeing how theres going to be a hint of diplomacy and strategy involved with teh different leaders decisions, and not dooming there races to extinction by letting there stronger foe whipe them out (which, sicne you wont know, would have happened already if the imperium didnt except help from alien races.

Oh, please forgive me. Forgot you are the WARMASTER.

Any way,  Warhammer 40K is not the second world war. Warhammer 40K is a science fantasy set in a fictional universe. In this type of setting you can have a group of orks fighting a group of spacemarines while fighting a group of something else.

Remember these are "groups" or "squads" of something, don't believe this sound like 1 versus 1 versus 1 versus 1 yadda yadda yadda.

This has nothing to do with the rolling dice and moving you expertly painted miniatures.

This a computer game. It is amazing what they can do with those now adays.

Any way,  Warhammer 40K is not the second world war. Warhammer 40K is a science fantasy set in a fictional universe. In this type of setting you can have a group of orks fighting a group of spacemarines while fighting a group of something else.

Remember these are "groups" or "squads" of something, don't believe this sound like 1 versus 1 versus 1 versus 1 yadda yadda yadda.

This has nothing to do with the rolling dice and moving you expertly painted miniatures.

what part about all of this stuff that ISNT tabletop gameplay related are you NOT getting? if there were space marines fighting a group of orks, and they were going to be a problem they would not fight the nearby eldar without a reason, and the eldar wouldnt engage the marines unless it was nescasary, in fact, the eldar would WANT the marines to take out teh orks, seeing as how if the imperium goes down so does every other race in the galaxy, aside from the corrupt greasy ones.

learn some 40k please, you know NOTHING of the lore, seeing someone else post some info or seeing one 40k thing doesnt mean you know the lore.

what part about all of this stuff that ISNT tabletop gameplay related are you NOT getting? if there were space marines fighting a group of orks, and they were going to be a problem they would not fight the nearby eldar without a reason, and the eldar wouldnt engage the marines unless it was nescasary, in fact, the eldar would WANT the marines to take out teh orks, seeing as how if the imperium goes down so does every other race in the galaxy, aside from the corrupt greasy ones.

learn some 40k please, you know NOTHING of the lore, seeing someone else post some info or seeing one 40k thing doesnt mean you know the lore.

I refer you to the above. Doesn't have to "make sense". In the Rogue Trader days the Warhammer 40K rules were refered to as a RPG miniatures game.

Of course Warhammer 40K the MMO could be wild and crazy and fun or could follow the homogenized SHIT that Games Workshop has come up with to sell more figures.

So I tell you what WARMSTER, you go ahead and wish for the MMO you want I will wish for the one I want.

But I tell you, waving your Warhammer 40K Epeen all around just doesn't give the geek cred it used to.

I refer you to the above. Doesn't have to "make sense". In the Rogue Trader days the Warhammer 40K rules were refered to as a RPG miniatures game.

Of course Warhammer 40K the MMO could be wild and crazy and fun or could follow the homogenized SHIT that Games Workshop has come up with to sell more figures.

So I tell you what WARMSTER, you go ahead and wish for the MMO you want I will wish for the one I want.

But I tell you, waving your Warhammer 40K Epeen all around just doesn't give the geek cred it used to.

So suddenly now that ive proven that it is canon, now suddenly you want a wild crazy non canon focused game, funny how that works, before you were pissed off it didnt follow canon.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

They're going with 2-faction quest-based thing and sticking to their guns because "they know best."

We'll see if they'll change their tune when SW:TOR's retention begins to nosedive and all the AAA mmo devs who were slavishly trying to copy WoW's formula with the mantra "this one didn't work because we didn't copy WoW closely enough! and didn't have strong enough IP! and put even more ridiculous amounts of money in it!" start leaving this ship of fools like rats they are.

Dang, even SOE finally learned their lesson and are working on Planetside 2.

Can they do better than SWTORs IP? Nope. Better than SWTOR's budget? Nope. Bioware's developer credentials? Nope.

Maybe they'll finally see the light then. Or maybe it'll be much too late...

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Not to be! because mmo developers are not creative enough to be able to do it.

So suddenly now that ive proven that it is canon, now suddenly you want a wild crazy non canon focused game, funny how that works, before you were pissed off it didnt follow canon.

Whoa there cowboy. You proved both jack and squat (speaking of which, do you remember the squats?).

There was a time when Warhammer 40K was fun flexible and accessible. Now it is Games Workshop cash cow designed to bilk teenagers and fat old nerds out of there deposable income, so they can feel like they are either big bad spacemarines or the irresitible force of chaos.

So you are correct in one aspect WARMASTER, if the MMO ends up being the sterile WoW clone theat is rail driven. Instead of being a massive virtual world with a feeling of danger and awe.

No WARMASTER I have no interest in WH40K:DMO

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    Omfg yes please NIDS !!!

Sic Luceat Lux

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Can you imagine Tyranid trading in AH, chatting with chaos space marine in pub or joining your guild for commong goal ? I simply cant.