Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will you buy in F2P MMO shop

Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

I was wondering, if a mmorpg becomes free, and it apears with a shop, what will you buy?

Edited: Just a note - option for "dont buy anything, but continue play the game" = Buy a pizza

option for "take a hike somewhere else" = trip to Paris!

:)

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

One or more of the above, depending on the design of the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

In F2P I buy nothing unless I like the game. Like I played Street Gears for like a year and just to say thanks I bought a costume. I didn't need it, but after playing for free for so long I thought why not.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by lordathon

I was wondering, if a mmorpg becomes free, and it apears with a shop, what will you buy?

I'll leave the game. 

Been there (f2p and freemium games, also with games that changed from p2p -> freemium) done that. Did not like it. Not gonna happen in future.

I miss option "will leave game".

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

1. If a game isn't fun, it gets none of my money.  (Includes games which are excessively grindy in the hopes of selling XP potions.)

2. If a game feels like it's pay2win, it gets none of my money.  (Sadly WoT is fun and makes it to this point, then dies as a result of selling power increases.  If they hadn't, I definitely would have spent money because it's solidly fun.)

3. If a game offers lateral playstyle unlocks, then I consider purchasing.  (Since LoL is both very fun and doesn't sell pay2win items, I've made a lot of purchases in it.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

No choice for "Nothing". hmmm.... Even the trip to Paris does not excite me, though the pizza choice does sound good. I guess I just refuse to support this business model. I just cannot justify to myself the spending of cash for shiny pixels on a character I am barely vested in.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by lordathon

I'll leave the game. 

Been there (f2p and freemium games, also with games that changed from p2p -> freemium) done that. Did not like it. Not gonna happen in future.

I miss option "will leave game".

That's the last option... :)

btw, the Pizza option, maybe means you dont buy anything. omg im a very confusing guy

^-^

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Is this a covert marketing ploy by soon to be free to play Aion?

Smexy armor!

If this isn't a covert marketing campaign for Aion, don't bother with the smexy armor. Not many games have graphics good enough to make smexy armor work.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

dildos for the devs

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

only thing I ever bought was a 2 person mount in RoM, Because they are freaking sweet and walk on water.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I've found that League of Legends does it best. Non-stat gain shop where you can delight in skins and additional build slots.  And its one of the greatest success stories in on-line gaming as a result.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

If a game development company ever makes one worth playing a mount / housing / increased bag or bank space,  Thats it.  If there is anything else I need to actually have fun or be competitive I would never play it in the first place.  But I pretty much wouldnt play a gamet that didnt have a full access sub option as well so I guess its probably a mute point.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Originally posted by Robokapp

nada.

In a free-to-play mmo I play-for-free.

I only go to F2P mmo's to cover some time in addition to the mmo's I pay for, not a replacement so I'm not spending nough time and effort to justify buying anything. I either find my way around or if its not possible, simply find a different f2p.

You're the reason they become pay to win. They have to find reasons to make people want to pay money.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Where is "nothing"?  I won't buy a thing out of a cash shop, I don't  care what it is.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

I buy a subscription to another game.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Crunchy221

I buy a subscription to another game.

At the rate it is going with self entitled people taking over the genre this may be the future most of us are forced into with games that we like.

If we look at the LOTR hybrid model it works like this. There is some other stuff about more bag space or cosmetic items, but for those of us that would prefer to pay(ME) VIP would be cool. I am a big fan of seeing Rift stay popular in what is becoming a increasingly populated market.

You got to wonder if Blizzard has looked at this chart also. Aion EU, EQ2 have done it...it is only a matter of time before WAR announces it and we all know it is coming.

Originally posted by free2play

Is this a covert marketing ploy by soon to be free to play Aion?

Smexy armor!

If this isn't a covert marketing campaign for Aion, don't bother with the smexy armor. Not many games have graphics good enough to make smexy armor work.

No it's not a marketing thing, it's a question i have... as you can see im from Portugal, dont have any contacts with any software house. Except playing the games. :)

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

None of what is listed in your poll.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I'm playing Star Wars Clone Wars Adventures...lol I know, it is an SOE title, so sue me I wanted to see what this game was like before I allowed one of my kids to get into it...but being that as it may, I found myself buying more SC(station cash) so that I could gain acces to all this game offers and I am really surpised by just how much it offers.   Lots of clothing...tons...different weapons...furniture to put into your own home(lots of differnt ones to chose from - one you get totally for free the Padawan Quarters in the Jedi Temple).   Going to do a review of the game in a couple of days.    One thing that really surprised me was the all the fun little mini-games that are in this game.    I especially like the saber dueling.    :)  Only been beat once by another player so far...I suspect he beat me because he was not human but a bot.   Nobody can push keys that frikking fast.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

A TRIP TO PARIS hehe.

I won't pay dime Free two Play is F2P. Its waste of money spending in a free two play mmo i realy see no reason why?

So i can brag and show my bought stuff lol?...thats pathetic hehe

Only money i spent is buying game and if its worth to me ill pay a monthly subscription thats it.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

TRIP TO PARIS too, got scammed by f2p game once, now immune to shops...
    Or game must be so good & item really useful for me to buy, or just great game & sell cosmetic stuff to support playing.

but I found way better to pay sub to WoW then item from WoW clone shops. only IMO too

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Free to play that is pay to win....nothing, won't play.

Free to play that is basically buy to play, with downloaded content and cosmetic type stuff, ill bite, even though I am weary of a f2p becoming b2p and then me having to leave, due to play style.

I picked pizza though for the poll....I wouldn't be against it...If their cut came out of the pizza places slice...not my slice.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Costume if there are no imbalanced cash shop item. The best example would be LoL (League of Legends).

It's a way for me to say thanks to developers who created a free2play game without selling game imbalancing items in their cash shop.

I mean, come on, buying and selling costumes is the best alternative for developers to make money out of free to play games.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'll happily buy cosmetic items and character customizing options. I like to roleplay every now and then, so my character's "look" ingame has to reflect their personailty. It increases my immersion.

Also storage upgrades and similar "durable" utility items that would be usefull to my characters throughout their game "lives".

I don't buy potions, scrolls, ammo, xp increases or any other "temporary benefits".

• KelvrekKelvrek Member Posts: 86
    I didn't see an option for quest packs or area unlocks. Other than costume pieces, that's all I buy in f2p games. I go so slow in them due to lack of play time, so they are quite cheap for me to play (maybe $5 per month or less). I also like being able to dabble in a game without subbing.

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

TRIP TO PARIS too, got scammed by f2p game once, now immune to shops...

Or game must be so good & item really useful for me to buy, or just great game & sell cosmetic stuff to support playing.

but I found way better to pay sub to WoW then item from WoW clone shops. only IMO too

What about in a far future, or not so far, WoW becomes F2P with cash shop? What will you do?

Didnt remember "quest packs or area unlocks" , yeah forget it, but it's always an option.