Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Story of the Week: Star Wars Comes and Goes

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

A once great game with the most potential in MMO history goes out with a whimper because of the complete and utter incompetence of a few jackwagons pulling strings.

Thanks fer nothin' you panzies.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• helliwanhelliwan Member Posts: 15

SWG is better then SWtor  really, in what way ? i dont think neither are better then the other, in my opinion it was like the 1977 Starwars movie when the you didnt even know who luke skywalker was and how was he related to the dark lord himself  until it was in revealed in the 5th episode. Then in 200x we see the prequel coming out and so on and once again we scream the old ones were best.  Now we have the same thing happening for the games We have SWG based upon the war between the empire and the rebels and in SWTOR we learn about things that we have read in books and now it will be time for use to live up to those stories and add our own mark to it, some of us will say SWTOR is not good or it is a waste of time well bioware, mythic and EA have not let its gamers down in any games they have made so far. So if you want SWTOR to have Reputation and to Actually prove itself it will be our call to support them and show our determination by having positive insight on the game and give it its well deserve chance.

• ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91

another good game dies because of greed.  FU Sony/Lucas/EA and this consumer generation of idiots.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Storman1977

I was a huge fan of SWG...and then they did the NGE and ruined months of work on becoming a Jedi.  After NGE, I gave up. 

Look at it this way; now everyone's a winner with TOR welfare game-play entitlements. Bright-side, right?

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

The problem with SWG is that the things it did well it did really well, but the bad things were really bad. Crafting, housing, resources, social aspects, and expansive worlds were done extremely well, and I dare say better than any game before or since. The bad is that much of the game felt lifeless. At times the combat felt too random. The NGE carved the heart out of a deep combat system, replacing a system that itself was severely flawed.

Unfortunately the theme park MMO is the most popular at the moment, and if you make a truly sandbox game it's just going to be a niche game. If you want a sandbox you have to hope a smaller development house without grandiose expectations takes on the task. Of course, many players are suspect of indie games. It's just that the sandbox stlye has limited potential for a wildly successful game, and as we all know the profit is the most important part of the business.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by mad-hatter

Agree with poster above, SWG even with all it's flaws is still better IMO than Tor, I had my fill in beta and it just wasn't my style.  I'm sure it will draw a huge following but it's sad that SWG is now gone forever all because LA didn't want the games to compete with each other. 

Pretty much this.

TOR is nothing like SWG. SWG, even in its worst days, was a damn enjoyable thing and a sandbox, TORcraft is...welll  world of torcraft is world of torcraft.

TOR is nothing like KOTOR, to the point it should not even bear the same universe lore nor the sign of old good bioware.

its sad SWG could not go on. LA did a really cheap move hoping to capture "star wars" players into torcraft with this. All they did is cement my resolve to not touch TOR. And I am sure I am not the only one who will be avoiding the WoW2 as a plague.

lol as if wow was not a "clone" itself, these comparisons are getting VERY tiresome, thanks for another thou, it was a great contribution.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

i dont think you can even put the two games together in the same discussion.  (it makes me cringe to be  honest) they are just 2 very different games.  i wish the old repub much success but to me it will never be a replacement for swg.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

They give up on SWG for ruin the KOTOR games feeling :/

When i first heard about SWTOR i thougth, yay finaly a good sandbox game (hoped they learnd something about SWG what part is success and what is fail), but i got a huge dissapointment when i see the "sides are stick with classes".

poor headhunters are work only for sith(because Sith are actualy good people and care about evil doers,thats why the lot wanted poster, unlike the "Rebels" who dont use them, because they dont have the class), and i always know the smugglesr are good people in heart, they are just have a wierd hobby to hide explosives and drugs in there ships :)

• eagled2eagled2 Member Posts: 13

While SWG was one of the best MMO's in my opinion it's important to note the word "WAS". Even with the nge changes it could have still been a good game but the population was spread out on way too many servers and the economy has been in a joke for some time. It was a good game but I said goodbye a long time ago when it lost the interest of too many players to have the same community feel it used to. 

On a side note swtor may have a lot of aspects found in wow but it has a completley different feel to it and for me that really the most important thing. I do expect guild wars 2 to to take most of my attention when it comes out.

• WookieebobWookieebob Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by nyxium

"... I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened..."

Lol a million? Try like 150. SWG was boring as hell in it's prime,  I can't imagine anyone mourning it after the NGE.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I was not a huge huge fan of SWG, but I did overall like it thanks to its crafting, housing, and other community-based aspects more than anything else. It seems that there will never be another game like it or like UO, since SWG did have some UO-like elements.

ToR is even more themepark than WoW, and to me a good Star Wars game should be all about the world, not just one story. I will most likely not be picking this one up...

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

This game from launch to NGE came to mean so much to me.  Ofcourse...it's just a game...it's just a game.  But I roleplayed my avatars and each one of them became an extension of some aspect of myself.  It was cathartic and fun and immersive.

To recap, my friends and I went down on one knee around a campfire we made in the dead of night, staring up at the Dantooine stars and founded our guild.  We built a city along a small lake.  I built a base there and we had a blast defending it.  We waged war, played at love, I crafted furniture, hunted jedi, took long drives in my two seater with my ingame gf, played the clown in our local cantina.  Gunfighter, Creature Handler, Bounty Hunter, Teri Kasi Master, Dancer, Musician, Architecht, Image Designer, Rifleman, Swordsman, Chef, starship pilot...I loved them all.

There were flaws in the game.  Lots of bugs.  I always wondered why they didn't fix them.  It was strange.  It was sad.  But even in spite of that I still loved the game.

There's only two games in my life I ever fell in love with, and this is one.  And like a lot of love affairs, it wasn't perfect, not by a long shot.  Rest in peace, old friend.  For me you died a long time ago, but this adds finality.

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

Maybe if $oE was a better company, listened to it's players, and have somewhat of a cluem SWG would have been better off. It was a great game, but always had something bad going on. Glad to see $oE doesnt have anything to do with this one.

• eosyneeosyne Member UncommonPosts: 392

rip swg...

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

SWG was buggy? Seriously where were all these bugs people talk about?

For a game that had 10X the features of any other game, I found very few bugs. Certainly none that impacted on my enjoyment of the game.

I have only fond memories of SWG and it was a game that fostered a community like no other.

This was truely a game with no ending, other than the one imposed on it by LA.

RIP SWG.

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

RIP Pre-NGE

Glad your dead Post-NGE

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

RIP Pre-NGE

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

CAN SOMEONE PLEASSE ANSWER THIS QUESTION:

Did Lucase Arts or anybody compensate players for their time and efforts in this game? How about offering perks to them for switching over to SWTOR???? Im not a lawyer but to close a game down that had players who have put in 100000s of hours seems wrong to me.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I was not a huge huge fan of SWG, thanks to its crafting, housing, and other community-based aspects more than anything else. It seems that there will never be another game like it or like UO, since SWG did have some UO-like elements.

ToR is even more themepark than WoW, and to me a good Star Wars game should be all about the world, not just one story. I will most likely not be picking this one up...

agree 

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

The true problem they should be worried about are tremendous sevrer queues (>1h30m) they currently have on lots of SWTOR servers (and it is only early game access - what is waiting for us at launch).

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by Timacek

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I was not a huge huge fan of SWG, thanks to its crafting, housing, and other community-based aspects more than anything else. It seems that there will never be another game like it or like UO, since SWG did have some UO-like elements.

agree 

I bought it and a few days into early access it has turned out to be nothing more than a yawn-fest.  I've been here posting all morning, rather than playing it, for example.  I find it insultingly shallow.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

RIP SWG

MMOs have gotten smallen and smaller with fever features every year.  What they are trying to sell to us nowdays is nothing what a MMO could be, the devs are just lazy.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Oh God PLEASE! I'm GLAD SWG is gone.

The game was BORING.  Certain skill sets were the ubersetups you needed to get ahead, so forget anything to do with being "original".  Everyone wore the same armor and used the same gear because it made them the best.  The game was a grind fest with almost non existant content and I'm sorry, the community was FAR from being "awesome." There were good people there, but they had more than their share of ass hats too.

Good bye, good riddance.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Bioware>soe

Star wars is a great universe to continue be ruined by some uninspired developers of soe and under fail soe's financial system which only purpose is to steal customers.

enough said

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

The game died in 2006 - when it jumped on the LINEAR BANDWAGON. The game has been dead.