Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about Upgrading my Video Card!

XforsakerXXforsakerX Member UncommonPosts: 124

Hey fella's currently im running a Nvidia Gefore GTX 260 i'm having no problems with the video card, but BF3 kinda in the low 30 fps, i was thinking about the GTX 560 any suggestion's ?

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
6142MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Antec Gaming Phenom
Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Comments

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Hey, check out this link below..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188

You can compare pretty much any of the 2011 GPUs against eachother to see how they go head to head.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The GeForce GTX 560 isn't a bad card.  The problem is that it tends to be too expensive for what you get, and you can get equivalent performance with lower power consumption from a Radeon HD 6870 for cheaper.

There's also the question of whether that tier of performance is faster than what you already have by enough to make for a worthwhile upgrade.  You might want to try going for a GeForce GTX 560 Ti or Radeon HD 6950 instead, to get perhaps a little better than double the performance of what you already have.  The 6950 is a better card than the GTX 560 Ti, but it's also a little more expensive.

• Munchausen0Munchausen0 Member Posts: 8

I am building a new system and really eyeing the 560 ti card and probably will go sli in the future.  I have done quite a bit of research (anandtech, tomshardware and alot of reviews) and over time narrowed down my choices to the 560 ti (Looking at the Asus 560 ti)

Really depends on if your wanting to SLI/Xfire in the future or not.  If it is one card then yes the 560 ti is really great and hits the sweet spot for gamers that dont yet want to plunk down the $$ on the 580 plus if your want to go sli in the future then yes the 560 ti is the way to go.. 

BUT if you want sli now I haveread that the 460 sli'ed gives the a non sli 580 a run for its money and the 2 460 (combined) will be a little cheaper than the one 580.

Also too you need to remember that you might have a slight bottleneck in your Mobo/Ram/Cpu.

Finally I have been looking at a few ATI cards and well.. I am still sticking with Nvidia but it is hard to find that balance of a great Vid card that matches what your pocketbook is willing to spend.  So happy Card hunting.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Don't buy one card today planning to add a second card for CrossFire or SLI in the future.  That means you have to pay an extra $100 or so for a better case, motherboard, and power supply to handle the second card.  By the time you want the graphical boost, you'll probably be better off replacing the card by one newer card, rather than adding a second of the old card, so that $100 is wasted.

• Munchausen0Munchausen0 Member Posts: 8

Well in my case I have already planned on future upgrades for adding a 2nd GPU.

Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Gene-z

CPU: i5 2500k

PSU: Corsair hx750w

Ram: 16g corsair (black)

SSD: Crucial m4 128

GPU: Asus 560 ti

Case: In Win Dragonslayer

The rest (OS, Keyboard cd/dvd et etc and few other things) I will get during my next few paychecks..bills and xmas for others come 1st :)

So in case I do go a 2nd card route I did plan for the semi-near future.