Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets, new and old... where are you going?

Comments

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I'm playing Vanguard and EQ2 atm. Will move on to GW2 or TSW once they release. Also going to try out Blade & Soul (playing the beta, it is pretty decent. The T & A are awesome.) and TERA once they fully come out.

BOOYAKA!

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by Obraik

No where until another game with open sci-fi/non-fantasy world with plenty of free choices is released.  For now I'll stick with short investment games like Team Fortress 2.

Given the design of MMO's these days, it's unlikely I'll ever have another MMO to play.

This about sum's it up for most Gamers above the age of 30.

SW:G was my first MMO and my first Love.

I've tried Vanguard and LoTRO and WoW and EvE and most of the others...but they are not Galaxies.

It will be my last for a long time.

Woah, woah!  I'm not over 30 :P

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Its sadly only been a very few MMOs that i have stand since Dec 2005.

If im forced at any direction when i login for the first time, i just quit.  I dont want to kiill ten of that and then ten of that, iw ant to play a MMO.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

World of Warcraft. Sorry for the lack of originality.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Since SWG died in 2005 I've been looking for a new MMO, there just hasn't been one since that isn't a poor imitation of WoW. After TBC WoW really died for me and I have had no interest in playing that style of game any more either. So just been playing SWGEmu, Project 1999 and Feenix on and off for the past few years. EVE Online died for me when Capital ships got brought into the game and turned into Capital Ships online.

I'll wait to see how SOE manage to ruin Planetside 2, see what Titan is all about and hope for a Pokemon MMO lol.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Skipping SWTOR and hoping TSW is worth the wait.

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Im still an SWG refugee, i have hopped from game to game over the years but never getting

past the first month sub, nothin compares to pre-cu

/cry

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75

Vet since 2003. I tried SWTOR in the beta but i really didn't like it. I'm probably going back to EVE or Vanguard.

• ata23ata23 Member Posts: 94

Funny to be here again I played SWG from start to NGE. Best ever. 8 years past and we are older now. So things change. Not always in good ways not enaugh time or will for playing mmorpg. But I checked SWTOR. Not even close except lightsabers:). Todays games are for another generation not ours who has an accont from past like me.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by Uzleb

I know it's been said a million times but if you didn't go through NGE you don't understand how deep the SWG scares go.

I will never play another Online MMO Star Wars game.

Everytime I hear Star Wars ANYTHING I cringe....and yes that may seem stupid and narrow minded to most people but some of us old Vets, NEVER forget.

And you guys will soon be right here with us playing ToR cause everyone on the freaking planet will be playing it!

• MadragonMadragon Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by Wrender

I know it's been said a million times but if you didn't go through NGE you don't understand how deep the SWG scares go.

Everytime I hear Star Wars ANYTHING I cringe....and yes that may seem stupid and narrow minded to most people but some of us old Vets, NEVER forget.

And you guys will soon be right here with us playing ToR cause everyone on the freaking planet will be playing it!

I second that:)!

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Nope.
    1 - The game is boring.
    2 - The cinematic animations are stiff and facial expressions look awkward. Ruining my immersion.
    3 - The worlds are sterile and bland.
    4 - The game is a little too easy.
    5 - It will become a sit-in-the-capital and wait for raid/dungeon game.
    6 - The stories are clichéd and the dialogues are sometimes corny. Not funny corny either.
    7 - The CC is generic and the characters look like plastic (Ex. EQ2 characters, but EQ2 had a good CC for their characters and plenty of off the wall races. Ratonga FTW!)
    8 - You cannot start off with a surname. Which will easily help with the name loss issues. Instead they give you the legacy system.
    9 - Since there is 0 chance of adding a day/night cycle. We lose the chance to have unique content pop up during different times of the day.
    10 - Combat is pretty slow and boring.

These are my main reasons that I will not play the game. The game bores me.

BOOYAKA!

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by blueshadow

Nowhere.

SWG was a unique game. There will probably never be one like it again. The complexity, the community. Played it since 2003 and it was my first MMORPG loved.

Back then when I discovered SWG and had finaly found the game of my dreams I was sure the future would hold more and more great games like SWG. But instead they just release arcade games with MMO support.

Bah.. everything that has been said about Sandboxes vs. Theemeparks have been said thosands of times on this webpage and I am not going to repeat it.. but untill there is a good sandbox worth paying for, I am not supporting any companies with my hard earned cash.

i feel the same.  ive tried other games and now just not sure if or where i will play another mmo.  dont feel like putting my money into anything unless i know i will like it.  there is just nothing out there with the freedom and comlexity i want.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

I know many of us are headed to SWTOR.

Been bouncing back and forth between WoW and other MMO's since the NGE myself, but heading to TOR for the foreseeable future.

What about you?

Haven't seen you around for a long time, since RLMMO. SWTOR for me, playing it now

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by Zekiah

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

This entire genre of gaming has turned into a casual, free-to-play, themepark shovelware fest, and there are fewer promising games on the horizon than there have ever been. In my opinion TOR is part of the cancer, but whatever floats people's boats.

This.

MMOs are dead to me unless designers decide to grow a pair and stop releasing half-a** themeparks. I refuse to give them any more of my money until this happens. Period.

I agree.

MMOs are just the same boring, linear, shallow Themeparks. SWTOR being the latest piece of garbage added to the pile

Playing Skyrim

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• judgex83judgex83 Member Posts: 7

Im playing DCU. Now people can hate on it as much as they want thats their right but I find it refreshing. Ive followed the crowd on a few games such as WoW and rift but DCU feels totally different. I like how I dont feel that I have to invest hours of play to keep up with friends and I really enjoy the world of the game since ive been a DC fan since I was a kid.

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101

Nowhere except my usual EVE Online on again/off again habits, possibly GW2 if it turns out to be good.

This entire genre of gaming has turned into a casual, free-to-play, themepark shovelware fest, and there are fewer promising games on the horizon than there have ever been. In my opinion TOR is part of the cancer, but whatever floats people's boats.

this...

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

I play SWTOR now..but it never pre-nge..May the force be with you....rip

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by cyress8

Nope.

1 - The game is boring.

2 - The cinematic animations are stiff and facial expressions look awkward. Ruining my immersion.

3 - The worlds are sterile and bland.

4 - The game is a little too easy.

5 - It will become a sit-in-the-capital and wait for raid/dungeon game.

6 - The stories are clichéd and the dialogues are sometimes corny. Not funny corny either.

7 - The CC is generic and the characters look like plastic (Ex. EQ2 characters, but EQ2 had a good CC for their characters and plenty of off the wall races. Ratonga FTW!)

8 - You cannot start off with a surname. Which will easily help with the name loss issues. Instead they give you the legacy system.

9 - Since there is 0 chance of adding a day/night cycle. We lose the chance to have unique content pop up during different times of the day.

10 - Combat is pretty slow and boring.

These are my main reasons that I will not play the game. The game bores me.

Thank you Uzleb and Cyress, I totally agree.  Especially iwth Uzleb in describing what is now a strong emotional response tied to SWG that will never leave...

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by Zekiah

This.

MMOs are dead to me unless designers decide to grow a pair and stop releasing half-a** themeparks. I refuse to give them any more of my money until this happens. Period.

I agree.

MMOs are just the same boring, linear, shallow Themeparks. SWTOR being the latest piece of garbage added to the pile

Playing Skyrim

SWG:Emu for my Galaxies fix

+1!  I have been refusing to give MMOs my money for 5 or so years now.  I think I have only have given like $30 to indie game cash shops and like $45 to resubbing Planetside here and there.  I have learned to spot duds and I avoid them now, because I refuse to support garbage.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Actually I'm one of the many original vets from first beta to the original release of SWG. I left SWG right around when the first person unlocked their force sensitive slot. Too many nerf's to the game then the complete overhaul of it ruined it for good.

I wondered around many mmo's since then but find that the mmorpg genre is dying as many other gamers have come to realize themselves.

The new direction nowadays are games that offer co-op not the usual BS mmo cr@p. This is the new rising trend for most gamers that have had enough of mmorpg's and the genre itself.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

My sig says it all :)

Originally Grandpappy from Shadowfire

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I really don't understand what people get out of calling themselves a "Vet" in relation with having played a video game.  I guess it makes you feel more heroic?  Its really weird to me.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I really don't understand what people get out of calling themselves a "Vet" in relation with having played a video game.  I guess it makes you feel more heroic?  Its really weird to me.

veteran implies experience which, in games, generally is associated with time

So if you are a swg veteran it implies that you are experienced in swg through a long playing time

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

If I go back, it'll probably be CoH.

I've played EVE.  I've played EQ2.  I've played Warhammer Online.  I did the free trial of WoW, quit after four days, and never will touch the thing.

Out of all the games I've played though, the closest to the Pre-CU feel was from CoH, and I've tried to figure out exactly why.  Maybe you can all help me out.

This is what I think it might be.  When I played SWG, I didn't play it like a game.  I played it like I used to play with action figures back when I was a kid.  I'd invent plots, create playsets, imbue the characters with personalities, etc.

Can't do that with EVE so well.  Can't do that with WoW, EQ2, or WAR so well either.  I can, however, do that with CoH.

CoH allows me to do that same thing.  Is the crafting as good as SWG?  No, but there's some crafting.  Is the player housing as good as SWG?  No, but there's some player housing.  Is the character customization as good as SWG?  No, but there's a lot of character customization.  Is the roleplay as good as in SWG?  No, but there's a whole lot more roleplay going on in CoH than anywhere else right now.

Does this seem to make sense?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• heavenlybodyheavenlybody Member Posts: 16

My friends and I started swg shortly after launch and played through til the upgrades. They always liked elements of the game that I did not. Actually, it was the fact that it was based on star wars that bothered me. Moreover, often I would even forget that it was a star wars game. Then, when it rarely became obvious that it was, I remember thinking how corny it was.

The upgrades made it even worse. They made it for example, if you were a smuggler : when you call up the character sheet it would show a giant picture of Han Solo in his iconic "where am I?" looking pose. CPR for the rest of the classes. Whereas before the upgrades you were left to do your own thing. I kept thinking, "Am I Han Solo?" Whereas pre-crap I was like, "This is star wars but I am my own character and as long as LA leaves me alone it will be a fun game."

Before that though, the Rise of the Wookie/CreatureHandler population exploded. I hate wookies. But, wherever I went there was a Wookie that was stronger/smarter/more skilled/more pets/ and the models for them were so butter face grinning about it. I hated it. Then the Kashyyk world expansion hit... ... I can think of so many ways to avoid releasing a strictly wookie xpack. Like more space/ship classes and stuff. Mining astroids, space station repair/space walk ect.... ... But Han Solo can't be floating space walking on the side of a space station doing repairs wearing nothing but his stripe cop pants and hoth coat. They wouldn't want to mess up his iconic hair-do.