Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Skyrim - Resistance is Futile

Comments

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

still dont get why MMOrpg is doing so many NON mmo reviews and all -_- but hell yeah Skyrim is epic duh... just as all the previous in the series!

May only TES 6 give skyrim an arrow in the knee! for stealing its sweetroll when it Fus Ro Dah'd his guard ;P

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Ecoces

Originally posted by precious328

This game is a SPORPG - not a MMORPG.

with the way people act in MMO's nowadays I know i would rather play with NPC. 

Reading these fine (cough) forums I compute that you're not the only one being slighly put off by the current "behavioral trend" in MMOs. What I'm wondering is that where the hell are you "good guys" in the new games? Is it really the games themselves or just that likeminded people don't hook up with each other so easily in the middle of the billion average Joes and their dogs who have joined up the scene, most of whom approach MMOs as an eloborated versiod of FarmVille and with instant gratification on their minds?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is a fun game, but the UI is horrible.  So, no matter how good a game it is, the control issues take it down a couple of notches.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

1. Excellent article with some great truths mixed in, particularly those about the greatest times being those when you laugh at something as a group.

2. Having taken on the challenge and playing Skyrim in hardcore mode (no fast travel, no compass, no crosshairs, first person for archery) I find it very immersive and the controls very similar to Darkfall, but yeh it would be fun to somehow share achievements - a mod perhaps that lets you show your toons achievements on an honour roll website would be a nice start.

3. Have fun with SWTOR Isabelle. I have a group of friends playing Lineage2 again now that its ftp, and another group playing Lotro. I have three games I love and pay no subs for any of them (lifetime lotro sub), life is good.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

Originally posted by Ubermeh

I think SPORG is what most people have been doing while playing Skyrim.

HAHA....Awesome and so true!

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

Originally posted by chbautist

hmmm... what does the O stand for? Skyrim is not Online. its more of a Action RPG than anything else. and yes, I'd rather read about a MMO culumnist's experience with a Single player game than a re-hash of what we already know about SWTOR or any other game that's not out yet.

Furthermore, Skyrim has a lot of elements that many MMOs should look into for insipration. One of them is the crafting IT ACTUALY DOES SOMETHING USEFUL, and so is the classless levelling system, the great visual experience, fast travel, day and night actually influencing who's up and who's asleep and wether if you can sneak in a fort unseen.

Playing it, I've learned that being a magic user was a lot more challenging than in any other game and it takes a lot of time before you can actually rely ONLY on magic.

so yeah, if some MMO designers read what's out in the community and figure out that skyrim has it maybe the genre will evolve

I agree MMOs have a lot to learn from Skyrim. I think Skyrim as mmo would be similar to Darkfall tho, a lot of griefing and ganking. I would rather see it as a co-op server (up to like 6-8 players) than a mmo, where you could just play with your buddies, it would be a truly sweet desktop role-playing game.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by thark

Originally posted by thark

1. It's suffers hard from "Consolitus" Wich is sad and limits the PC version..And If you don't have a controller(Xbox 360) for your PC , you will have to work with the bad keyboard/mouse port.

2. Conversations with NPC's is better than Oblivion but still very bad, sometimes you will end up in all sorts of odd situations, with the person you are talking to staring agains a wall and you staring at a table , with all matter of folks cackling about in the background and so it's impossible to actually hear anything from your dialogue.

3 The AI that handles if and when you have stolen/murdered someone is but funny, you can be out in the wilderness for days only to come back to civilisation and be greeted by the guards ..-"I know what you did " and yet you have absolutly no clue at all to what you actually did..So you will have to reload a 5 hour game session or face jailtime for something that not even the game seems to really know..

4 . The companion system..Well It's a shame really..

5. The combat..Is well bad..and In conjunction with your companion ..it's even worse.. This is partly the consol developments fault as far as I see it..Whats up with not being able to block If I have equipped spells in both hands ?  It could be explained like you have to focus for the spells to work etc, but all in all it's only because the game has to work fluently with a controller , and to many things at once for a controller is a big no no..

1- its not such a bad case of consolitis, and the mouse and keyboard work fine. except the inventory menus and trader interfaces are kind of funky and they could have ordered the items better.

2- you can still move your camera during those scenes

3- what are you taking about? sure didn't happen to me.

4- Yeah companions... sometimes they go AFK lol and you meet them back at your house the next day kinda weird but still not a major issue. the fact that they just cant help themselves but spring every trap is also quite comical.

5- your opinion. I think the combat is fine but yes I would like it if they made it easy to hotkey some spells, weapon sets and potions instead of going through the inventory during battle which sort of breaks the immersion (and the favorites menu is not much of an improvement)

I give it 4/5, your 3/5 is harsh

2 As far as I can tell, I coud not move my camera in certain situations, and even If I coud move my camera that doesnt count for the NPC im talking with staring in a wall..

3 Just because It didnt happen to you doesnt make it less true..:)

First day of playing I had a Monk like fellow falling from the sky and landing infront of me..:) I guess that didn't happen to you aswell ?

And..Just to add to my previous post..I find the quests , atleast the ones i have done, far to linear without any secondary solutions at all

My point is that ..Skyrim is beiing pictured as the perfect and mostly flawless game, if you are looking at the reviews...I have only seen one review that dared to give it a rather low score , and that is Swedish PC gamer 79%

3- LOL no, haven,t seen a monk fall from the sky! that would have been fun to watch.

I agree, the game is not perfect, no game is and as mentionned: the step up from Oblivion is not THAT big. Bethsoft spend their time creating the world and the stories instead of improving the engine... You can't just have everything. Most quests are linear, that's true but the game is totally not linear on the other hand so you just go ahead and make your own story with it.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

"47% evil or 63% Stormcloak"

Ha ha, very funny. The imperial legions will not find it so funny!

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

SPORPG

Single Player Online RPG

Online, because, well, Steam.  Bleh.

And bleh, 4GB.exe to keep it from crashing.  Mostly.

And UI.

And, yeah, repetition.

And...  y'know.  I miss Morrowind.  Get off my lawn. ;)

feh.   Plus, geez, I just don' t have the great tracts of dozens and scores of hours to play I did when Morrowind came out...

Meh.

Sigh.

Is it me, or the game?   No stop, I know this crowd, don't freaking even start answering that. ;)

Shava

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Bethsoft spend their time creating the world and the stories instead of improving the engine...

Except, you know, the Creation Engine which is an entirely "new" engine they developed for Skyrim.

Edit; I wish I had footnotes. "New" the same way that the Oblivion engine was new compared to the Morrowind engine. :S

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • Enok4TwunniEnok4Twunni Member Posts: 207

I can't keep myself from replying to this thread.

Skyrim is one of the most over hyped games I've played in a long time. I've put in almost three hundred hours of game time into it so I know for a fact I'm not just blowing smoke. The game is bad. 

First off, the voice acting is horrible. The shadows are horrible. The story is again, horrible. Finish the game and tell me what you think. The bugs are almost too many to count. You can fly up mountains on your horse. The horse is one of the most annoying mounts I've ever encountered in any game. The companion AI is as horrible as it's always been, even on the old engine. The difficulty scaling is rediculous. I played on the hardest setting and I can dominate dragons easily while other times I'll run into some dude with a two-handed sword wearing iron armor and he two shots me. Very dumb. Once you get past level fifty the game is a piece of cake. Companions die all the time. You lose so much time having to reload because of accidental companion kills. You can kill a downed companion with the first level of your force shout. Stupid. I think long time fans should really call a spade a spade on this game, it's horrible. The commercials are epic, but that's where it ends. You can easily hide behind rocks or any other cover during dragon fights and expect the AI of the dragons to be absolutely stupid. I'm done with Bethesda as they seem to suffer from the same problems as Lionhead, the creators of Fable. I've created a huge bug list in the Bethesda forums called the big bug list. I've seen flying mammoths, people just fly into the air and plummet to their deaths for no reason. Though some think it's funny, I think I'd be embarrassed if it were my game. Not only that, but the horrible stability issues are rediculous. Even after a couple of little useless patches for the game so far. I think once again, it's a game that will be "fixed" by the mod community. In my opinion, they hyped the game and got what they wanted from so many; money. I wish I could fraps all the hours I've played so I could prove to everyone that this game is a farce. It was fun for the first few hours for me because it was new, but as I played it became more evident at the lack of effort that went into it. People say, oh it's such a huge game, it can't be perfect...I say you're full of sh**. There are plenty of huge games that have developers that really go all out to create the best they can. Bethesda isn't one. Period. Play for yourself and jot down on a pad of paper all the defects in the game you come across, you'll fill up pages before you know it. Thank God for people like CJ from Arena Net and  for the early years of WoW before all the squeeky wheels got the grease.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by enoch420

Skyrim is one of the most over hyped games I've played in a long time. I've put in almost three hundred hours of game time into it so I know for a fact I'm not just blowing smoke. The game is bad. 

First off, the voice acting is horrible. The shadows are horrible. The story is again, horrible. Finish the game and tell me what you think. The bugs are almost too many to count. You can fly up mountains on your horse. The horse is one of the most annoying mounts I've ever encountered in any game. The companion AI is as horrible as it's always been, even on the old engine. The difficulty scaling is rediculous. I played on the hardest setting and I can dominate dragons easily while other times I'll run into some dude with a two-handed sword wearing iron armor and he two shots me. Very dumb. Once you get past level fifty the game is a piece of cake. Companions die all the time. You lose so much time having to reload because of accidental companion kills. You can kill a downed companion with the first level of your force shout. Stupid. I think long time fans should really call a spade a spade on this game, it's horrible. The commercials are epic, but that's where it ends. You can easily hide behind rocks or any other cover during dragon fights and expect the AI of the dragons to be absolutely stupid. I'm done with Bethesda as they seem to suffer from the same problems as Lionhead, the creators of Fable. I've created a huge bug list in the Bethesda forums called the big bug list. I've seen flying mammoths, people just fly into the air and plummet to their deaths for no reason. Though some think it's funny, I think I'd be embarrassed if it were my game. Not only that, but the horrible stability issues are rediculous. Even after a couple of little useless patches for the game so far. I think once again, it's a game that will be "fixed" by the mod community. In my opinion, they hyped the game and got what they wanted from so many; money. I wish I could fraps all the hours I've played so I could prove to everyone that this game is a farce. It was fun for the first few hours for me because it was new, but as I played it became more evident at the lack of effort that went into it. People say, oh it's such a huge game, it can't be perfect...I say you're full of sh**. There are plenty of huge games that have developers that really go all out to create the best they can. Bethesda isn't one. Period. Play for yourself and jot down on a pad of paper all the defects in the game you come across, you'll fill up pages before you know it. Thank God for people like CJ from Arena Net and  for the early years of WoW before all the squeeky wheels got the grease.

So you put 300 hours on this horrible game?

XD

Not bad for such a bad game isn't it? Just think about the amount of games that won't even provide you with 50 hours.

Most of the bugs you mention have already been corrected, by the way.

And then you kill your companions and blame the AI? That's just hilarious. I haven't had a single companion die once, except for suicidal horses charging against dragons. Those are really stupid, I ll give you that.

And you don't need to frap anything. There are bazillion videos on youtube already showing how "bad" this game is. 

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

I've put 2-300 hours into Skyrim so far (and I'm not nearly done yet), and so far I've seen a total of 1 mammoth that fell to its death. I've never had a crash yet. So many of the bugs people mention.. I just havn't experienced them.

I have one relatively annoying UI-related bug; That my UI doesn't want to stack those Stone-things that you collect. But yeah..

Oh, and the fact that I've found quest-related items that I can't get rid of, but I have no idea what quest they're for. But that's not a bug as such...

Companion AI is... A bit dumb, but it's not really that bad (not in my experience, anyway). I've seen a lot worse. I accidentally killed my companion once or twice, but the reload isn't that bad (that might be my saving-habit talking, though). Well, the horses are retarded. But yeah, they're an animal. :P

My annoyances with Skyrim so far:

Horse/riding controls. I walk/run everywhere.

Quest items that can't be removed from inventory.

The fact that I don't have enough shelves/armor stands/weapon plaques to proudly display my hoarding disorder.

3rd person view in general. Yes, I shoot my bow first person, and have done so the entire time.

The fact that, while finishing a side-quest, you'll acquire at least two more. I want my journal clean. I want to complete all the side-quests I currently have, before continuing with the main quest.

The bucket-bug. I havn't used it, but I'm annoyed that it's there.

The fact that a stolen item is globally stolen. You should be able to steal an item from a shop/home in, say, Whiterun and sell it to virtually any merchant in, say, Solitude.

Edit: I was going to say more, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • LordjayLordjay Member Posts: 11

I have to laugh at the SPORPG comments,There IS NO SPO Its just an RPG period.No need to start inventing new titles or prefixs the original one works just fine.;)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

The greatest part of Skyrim is the fact that you don't HAVE to do anything!  I made an orc, did the empire storyline, made a Nord and did the stormcloak story.  Then I made my wood elf.  My wood elf is with neither faction.  Instead I spend my time hunting deer, helping the occasional person, but staying out of polotics, as any Wood Elf should!  I keep to the woods and rare go into town, I stick to the smaller towns to craft and trade.  I also made a Khajiit Thief, which also has no affiliation with any town, except a little with Riften (I am a thief after all hehe).  I mainly just stay to myself, stealing when i want to.  It's hilarious to steal something, then sell it back to the previous owner :D

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by kattehus

Edit: I was going to say more, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I LOL'd hard when I heard that. 

Yeah, I love the game, but feel that there are some annoying parts of the game that could have easily been remedied but haven't.

1) Still no 3D Object control to turn and place a held object.

2) All bookcases should have the "place book" function.

3) Lydia...I want to go....get out of my way.

4) Giant launching.

5) Umm...no custom spell creation?

6) Umm...no custom enchantment creation?

7) The armorer/enchant exploit. I don't use it.

8) Compare the spell list from Morrowind to Oblivion then to Skyrim. We were robbed.

9) [SPOILER ALERT] Ok, I lead the _____ guild now. Why can't I recruit people?

10) SKYRIM GUARDS: Y U NO GET BETTER KNEE ARMOR???

11) CONSOLES: Y U NO GET MODS???

I feel that in spite of the scope of this game, Bethesda was counting on players to fix some of these things with mods that should have been done from launch. I am looking forward to the day of saying, "Back when I played Vanilla Skyrim. Get off my lawn."

I could have written more but then I...oh forget it.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by PyrateLV

If Skyrim has made you LOVE what an MMORPG could/should be, you will absolutely LOATHE what SWTOR has done to them.

I agree somewhat.  SWTOR has the same vastness of world, but it is a themepark with finite, (albiet bountiful options) and not a Sandbox.  However, Skyrim didn't make me LOVE what an MMORPG could be.  I loved Skyrim because there were no other players ---> nobody to argue with, haggle with, steal quest mobs and treasure chests and resource nodes from... just me, and my plans for world domination through ungodly hours of play.  I really don't think sandboxes make the best MMOs.... at least not in our day.  Perhaps when technology advances and we no longer have to see developers individually program every facet of the world in, the genre will boom forward.  Until then, these themeparks are the best the world has to offer.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• liadzliadz Member Posts: 35

So I stopped playing Skyrim for a while so I could get something with a more dense storyline. In this case I'm talking about the first Mass Effect game, that I got in the last Steam deal. The game, as everybody probably already knows, is the opposite of Skyrim: great main story, worst side quests ever. But that has nothing to do with my point here.

The thing is: in my 30 hours of ME I saw something like 3 times the quantity of bugs I saw while playing 60 hours Skyrim, including random CTDs and being trapped or thrown outside the meshes of the levels. I know Skyrim for ps3 had serious issues but my pc version crashed 3 times and presents some collision bugs once in a long while.

And I'd give Skyrim a 9/10, not because it's so technically great, but because the experience I'm having is so rich and great that some issues I have about it are just not enough to make me feel bad about it.

No, really. I usually open the game just to walk around the woods a bit (which usually results in finding something interesting).

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I'm sorry but you are so sad. 300 hours of time into a game you think is that bad. My god your social calendar must be absolutely barren. Wouldn't 100 hours of not enjoying yourself move you on to something you might enjoy?
  • SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Originally posted by Vahrane

Originally posted by Moirae

Ok, it may be a good game, but what is a single player game opinion article doing on an MMO website? Frankly the article had barely a mention of MMO's.

Many of us that are playing Skyrim and are also familiar with mmorpgs see the open world design of Skyrim as something newer mmorpgs should be asipiring to. To me Skyrim's world is far more immersive than all of those seen in AAA mmorpg titles from the past five years. 

Heh , Skyrim deserves to be on this site and any other MMO site for that matter.   Bethesda has thrown in more innovations that are perfect for MMOs than mostly all MMOs failed to combine all togheter in the last 5 to 7 years.

And Bethesda is just getting warmed up  , after selling in the 10's million of copies , they caught alot of attention , I've been through mostly all the games content in about 180 hours but that doesn't stop me on logging back on and enjoying killing guards in markath ( hope they add function to markath to pay my 140K bounty ).

In a sense Bethesda opened the doors wide open to the MMO world , if the Devs are willing to embark and use some of Skyrim's innovation , because deep down , Skyrim is the perfect tool for finally bringing WoW clones to a full stop and hell , why not bring down WoW along the process?

So yea  , Skyrim fits well in the MMO world because as months go by , we'll be seeing new MMOs trying to recreate some of Skyrim's sparks , so just a warning to you GW2 fanatics out there , I'm a GW2 fan also , but it's far from being the dream MMO anymore , not with Skyrim in town.   Well time for me to FUS RO DAH some markath guards. o/

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

OP dont taunt my "Enchanments~!"-NPC in dragonage. He's a sensitive, lovable dwarf....lol.

• demonboxdemonbox Member Posts: 34

personally still can't figure out why to improve something they (companies) have to hinder some other aspects.

I've played Skyrim for many hours, and yes it is a good game but imo not a Masterpiece like most reviewers and players think.

It's surely better than it's predecessor (Oblivion) but worse than Morrowind and even the previous TES chapters (well not all of them ), and what's this fascination with dragons lately?where are the good ol' stilt riders or other weird creatures we had in Morrowind?where r the guilds? i mean the ones you find in Skyrim are not guilds are just quest givers "do this do that and gratz now you'r the guild master! now back to do grunt's works"

World is vast, open and nicely done,the you have  villages (you can't call them cities), i get it's partly due to the lore, but c'mon they could have made them a bit more interesting (and populated).

Someonw calls it a sandbox (?!?) then tell me how i can actually become a bard or how can you have fun living the life of a city rogue or again actually side with the Forsworn or even worse with Thalmers (no need for quests, just an "option" that allows you not to be attacked on sight by them for example)

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by demonbox

personally still can't figure out why to improve something they (companies) have to hinder some other aspects.

I've played Skyrim for many hours, and yes it is a good game but imo not a Masterpiece like most reviewers and players think.

It's surely better than it's predecessor (Oblivion) but worse than Morrowind and even the previous TES chapters (well not all of them ), and what's this fascination with dragons lately?where are the good ol' stilt riders or other weird creatures we had in Morrowind?where r the guilds? i mean the ones you find in Skyrim are not guilds are just quest givers "do this do that and gratz now you'r the guild master! now back to do grunt's works"

World is vast, open and nicely done,the you have  villages (you can't call them cities), i get it's partly due to the lore, but c'mon they could have made them a bit more interesting (and populated).

Someonw calls it a sandbox (?!?) then tell me how i can actually become a bard or how can you have fun living the life of a city rogue or again actually side with the Forsworn or even worse with Thalmers (no need for quests, just an "option" that allows you not to be attacked on sight by them for example)

So,  Syrim is a lesser game because it 's not Morrowind? Personally, I recall  those stupid birds attacking me every five seconds.  I also  recall  city layouts where falling off a cliff meant swimming  for  hours.  And no,  a game does not have to have every feature YOU  randomly name just to be called "sandbox."  The feature you mention would take probably about a year of programming and for what?  A feature tthat 95% of players would find boring and insipid.  Not how devs should spend their time.  Name a game that had that feature... and didn't suck?  Seriously, chief, I don't think today's technology is anywhere near as advanced as you seem to think it is.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by gordiflu

So you put 300 hours on this horrible game?

XD

Not bad for such a bad game isn't it? Just think about the amount of games that won't even provide you with 50 hours.

Most of the bugs you mention have already been corrected, by the way.

And then you kill your companions and blame the AI? That's just hilarious. I haven't had a single companion die once, except for suicidal horses charging against dragons. Those are really stupid, I ll give you that.

And you don't need to frap anything. There are bazillion videos on youtube already showing how "bad" this game is. 

To respond to your obvious attempt to be incredibly smart, no not almost all these bugs have been addressed. I guess you haven't looked at the Bethesda Forums. I'd like to say to your other small jab about other games not providing this many hours, I had to start over about three times because there's no way to respec you characters. So much of the time played was content I'd already played. I played all the other Bethesda games and wanted to so badly give them the benefit of the doubt, but the sad truth is, it's a really horrible game. Like I said, finish the game and then come tell me what you think. I haven't seen such a bad ending in a long time. The world around you just kinda shrugs at the fact of you heroic accomplishment and you get to explore the same mundane lifeless world of Skyrim.  Another thing is, I played every possible class combo because I wanted my bug list on the forums to be comprehensive. I guess I should have mentioned that for those who like to attack others on forums and sit back twiddling their thumbs as if they just made the funniest remarks alive. And I'd like to advise you to read my former post again, the one you quoted. I didn't blame stupid AI as the reason for being able to kill your companions. I can re-type if needed, in double space even. And about fraps, you're right, especially since fraps causes my Skyrim to crash anyway. Do your homework and don't be a smarta** just to troll for a few agreeing posts. Go troll another thread.

Originally posted by eayes

I'm sorry but you are so sad. 300 hours of time into a game you think is that bad. My god your social calendar must be absolutely barren. Wouldn't 100 hours of not enjoying yourself move you on to something you might enjoy?

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe you're right? My social calendar is barren. I've lost almost all my close friends. So go ahead, shake your head. Point a finger. In fact make some ugly comments about people who go through unfortunate times in their lives. I guess yours is perfect. About two hundred and sixty hours to be exact. Oh believe me, I'd like to have the obvious social utopia you must have, but sadly, I don't. It's sad to me that people attack eachother so readily on forums and video games yet in real life they must live a facade, because your nature that's baring it's self here is to be ugly and to tear down. Good job. So yes, I'm a pathetic person with a lot of lost friends that I wish I had around me. Some even have less than me. I pray they receive a blessing in this life and have the smarts to stay away from people like you.