Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think this is sad...

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

my friend stopped playing SW:ToR until after launch because he was tired of getting booted from groups.    He did beta, but he is going with a new class so he gets a fresh start.   He is getting kicked from groups because he is not going through the group dialogue choices fast enough!   He said because he is watching the cutscenes play out and it is taking longer than the others people get upset and are kicking him from the group.   How sad is that?

He is also upset that he is getting screwed on lightside points due to never winning rolls.    That is another thing that is making him upset and the reason he is going to wait until after launch when he has more friends that he can play with that will take their time and not rush through the game or strip him of a chance to become attuned to the lightside.

Comments

• penguinmanepenguinmane Member Posts: 73

im curious if your playing due to your post, that you cancelled the preorder but got the early access?

• MckiedizMckiediz Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Teala

He is also upset that he is getting screwed on lightside points due to never winning rolls.   

Well, tell him to not being upset about that, he still has his lightside points even if he loses the rolls

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by penguinmane

im curious if your playing due to your post, that you cancelled the preorder but got the early access?

Nope...I am not playing.   I will not play this game, or should I say I will not play this game in its current state.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

The thing that sux with mmo's is that you must group with people that are not your friends from time to time or maybe most of the time, it sux.

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

my friend stopped playing SW:ToR until after launch because he was tired of getting booted from groups.    He did beta, but he is going with a new class so he gets a fresh start.   He is getting kicked from groups because he is not going through the group dialogue choices fast enough!   He said because he is watching the cutscenes play out and it is taking longer than the others people get upset and are kicking him from the group.   How sad is that?

He is also upset that he is getting screwed on lightside points due to never winning rolls.    That is another thing that is making him upset and the reason he is going to wait until after launch when he has more friends that he can play with that will take their time and not rush through the game or strip him of a chance to become attuned to the lightside.

I'm afraid that your friend's experience will not be an isolated case. Unfortunately, the quality of a game's community tends to be inversely proportional to the size of the player base (eg. WoW). Success has its downsides ...

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

This happened in Guild Wars too. Really, it just comes with the territory of playing an MMO - The quality of people you'll be surrounded with will be a little less than pleasurable.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Vidir

The thing that sux with mmo's is that you must group with people that are not your friends from time to time or maybe most of the time, it sux.

Well or more so, that there are trappings in place in themepark MMOs that turn other players into hostile problems.

ArenaNet are dead on when they say that other players often become a nusance.

I can't group with other people on corosaunt because once I am grouping with someone and we need to collect quest items, we need to collect double up the amount. or triple. or quadrouple. Other players keep me from completing the story and the long respawn rates on mobs, quest items and world objects frustrate the experience.

It's standard themepark problems that we've seen since WoW. Somehow they feel more annoying in TOR though. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Mckiediz

He is also upset that he is getting screwed on lightside points due to never winning rolls.   

Well, tell him to not being upset about that, he still has his lightside points even if he loses the rolls

Yeah, one would guess someone with a reasonable amount of exposure to the game would know about that ...

Ah well. Give him a hug and tell him it's alright; The group conversation didn't accidentily his points anyway.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

He said because he is watching the cutscenes play out and it is taking longer than the others people get upset and are kicking him from the group.   How sad is that?

Yeah, that was expected, cause I had that issue in beta too, though I didn't get kicked very often.  More or less people were getting irate because I wanted to watch the scenes.  This was from those that have run a particular flashpoint multiple times before I showed up.

As for the light and dark side points debacle.  Those you don't lose out on even when grouped.  You will always get the same amount whether solo or in a group, and regardless of who won the roll.  {Basically if you choose the answer that would give you light side points, but the winning roll goes to a player that chose the dark side answer, you still get all light side}

The numbers that pop up during group conversations are social points. {with the icon that looks like 3 people}  If you win the roll and your character speaks you get 15points, but if you lose the roll you only get 1-5 points.  Or if you win the major story points you can get up to 100 points.  Social points will require tons of grouping or basically farming of flashpoints or grouping through regular questing to earn a ton of, and are only for getting the social sets of gear.

Players rushing through conversations and getting irate over a new player wanting to watch the cutscene has always been one of my major complaints from beta too, but unfortunately, the way TOR is set up, I don't see how it can be avoided.  Other than waiting to play a flashpoint or doing elite quests with friends only ~ that will let you watch the cutscenes without being kicked...

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157

As long as there are no forced restrictions on who can play online games, you will always have immature people playing them.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

It's a byproduct of the game's design.  Making groups watch cutscenes and giving them the option to skip it...whenever you do that, they are almost always going to want to skip it.  Especially a significant time after release.  If you think it's bad now, wait a few months :).

Like another poster said, this issue was in Guild Wars as well.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by waynejr2

I love hearsay.

Got an axe to grind?

Did you not read any of the other comments in this thread??? People who are SWTOR fans (at least by their previous posts) have said this very thing happens... How is it hearsay, when these people just confirmed it? Reading is fundamental buddy =)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I love hearsay.

Got an axe to grind?

Did you not read any of the other comments in this thread??? People who are SWTOR fans (at least by their previous posts) have said this very thing happens... How is it hearsay, when these people just confirmed it? Reading is fundamental buddy =)

Didn't ya hear, nobody likes to read or even listen to posts or quests anymore...le sigh

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by Zarynterk

I love hearsay.

Got an axe to grind?

Didn't ya hear, nobody likes to read or even listen to posts or quests anymore...le sigh

Im sorry i just skipped right through your commentary... what did you say? ; )

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Creslin321

It's a byproduct of the game's design.  Making groups watch cutscenes and giving them the option to skip it...whenever you do that, they are almost always going to want to skip it.  Especially a significant time after release.  If you think it's bad now, wait a few months :).

Like another poster said, this issue was in Guild Wars as well.

Its also in Magicka.

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

Ridiculously uncool.  I've run Esselles and Black Talon probably close to 80 times each through all the beta time.  And, I ran it again last night. 

No way am I going to kick someone for playing and enjoying the game.

Bad form.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Only thing I can recommend is joining a guild.. maybe even an RP guild where story and such is always important aspect of the game.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Lets refrain from personal attacks and baiting guys.

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by helthros

This happened in Guild Wars too. Really, it just comes with the territory of playing an MMO - The quality of people you'll be surrounded with will be a little less than pleasurable.

After Factions launched it felt like people were more in a hurry, yes, but you couldn't be kicked from groups, and you couldn't see who skipped cutscenes and who did not.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

my friend <spacebar>
    He did beta <spacebar>
    He is getting kicked from groups <spacebar>
    He said <spacebar>
    He is also upset that he is getting screwed <spacebar>
    That is another thing that is making him upset <space bar>
    more friends that he can play with that will take their time <spacebar>

Sorry, trying skip through the dialogue.

Hmm. What are my choices?

-Politely Move on(Lightside)
    -Say some thing witty (Neutral) <
    -Flame away (Darkside)

Response: Your friend needs to play with people that share his play style and ones he can trust not to kick him from groups. Also, you never miss out on lightside/darkside points. Stop spreading misinformation to confuse people.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

This sort of thing will happen.  Though really, it's a sign that you probably don't want to group with those folks anyway.  

When teaming up, specify that you want to go through everything.  Get others on the team who want to do the same thing.  Let the Speedy types zip along.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Feydaway

Ridiculously uncool.  I've run Esselles and Black Talon probably close to 80 times each through all the beta time.  And, I ran it again last night. 

Bad form.

That's because it didn't happen.  No way am I going to believe that anyone would kick a person out of the group for letting the dialogue play out, particularly just after launch when many people haven't seen the content.  I tend to doubt this will ever happen, being that people playing this game know that dialogue is just a natural part of it.  However, if it does happen, it's definitely not going to happen right after launch, but rather months down the road after people have been through the content a few times.  

I call shenanigans. 

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

i look at it like this way, your friend just needs to stop grouping up with dumb idiots like that, and if people are just immature and be like that its just sad to begin with.  Whats the point of playing this game if your not gonna experience the cutscenes.  Just tell him dont quit and dont let idiotcy force him to do what would be fun for him.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Bad form.

That's because it didn't happen.  No way am I going to believe that anyone would kick a person out of the group for letting the dialogue play out, particularly just after launch when many people haven't seen the content. 

I call shenanigans. 

This happens wheater you like to believe it or not. Not just in TOR either, like other posters have said its happened in GW also. As the game get a month or so out youll have people re-rolling playing with new people then this problem will get much worse.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Bad form.

That's because it didn't happen.  No way am I going to believe that anyone would kick a person out of the group for letting the dialogue play out, particularly just after launch when many people haven't seen the content.  I tend to doubt this will ever happen, being that people playing this game know that dialogue is just a natural part of it.  However, if it does happen, it's definitely not going to happen right after launch, but rather months down the road after people have been through the content a few times.  

I call shenanigans. 

I'm sure this is happening, I've seen things like this in GW, as well as many online Co-op games, simply getting kicked is weaksauce compared to some of the crap I've seen given toward people watching cutscenes in group play.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson