Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we expecting a resolution to the server cramming soon or is this it?

Dear SWTOR, thank you for the lovely pre-release access. I am loving the game....when I am not in a queue of 900 people....for an hour....and it doesn't bug repeatedly when it gets to 0 sending me right back to the end of the 900 person queue for another hour.

It's like being seduced by the woman of your dreams you've been lusting after for years, only to finally arrive at the threshold of the bedroom and she turns and says she's suddenly got a throbbing headache and it would be best to call her tomorrow when she's more in the mood for funky maneuvers over and over and over. And over. Except, in this case, cold showers don't help. 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

They opened 6 more US servers today and 2 more EU servers. Sounds like they are working on it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

I think the problem is a little worse than that. Two days ago, none of the servers were full, now nearly all 50+ servers are rammed each with 20minutes-2 hours waiting times. 2 extra European servers will be about as much use as offering a bandaid to a man whose just had his head chopped off.  

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

They opened 6 more US servers today and 2 more EU servers. Sounds like they are working on it.

the problem will stay if they arent start the free char/guild transfers at dec 20h or earlier

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

wait....weren't people here just crying the other day about not being let in all at the same time???

• APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

wait....weren't people here just crying the other day about not being let in all at the same time???

+1

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Shhhhh. We're tying to get past all that ugliness. Most people forgot they were mad and you go and bring that up.

For shame.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by defector1968

the problem will stay if they arent start the free char/guild transfers at dec 20h or earlier

Oh the threads, before it was there is no one here it doesn't feel like an mmo now you have que times, there are too many people here. And people were wishing they just let everyone in at once... Almost every issue people have freaked out about has been addressed and usually resolved. I am sure they are taking steps to improve the situation. They did with the shipping date on box sales, they did it with the grace peroid, I am confident this will be resolved as well.

imageimage

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

I rolled on a PVE server with a bizarre/ uncool name. I haven't had any lag and zero Queue's.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by Struggs

Oh the threads, before it was there is no one here it doesn't feel like an mmo now you have que times, there are too many people here. And people were wishing they just let everyone in at once... Almost every issue people have freaked out about has been addressed and usually resolved. I am sure they are taking steps to improve the situation. They did with the shipping date on box sales, they did it with the grace peroid, I am confident this will be resolved as well.

EA knew the preorders, knew the day that they add them into what server, also knew guild ppl (40%) and in what servers will go

they should had more servers and do better sharing. Are 7 days of preorder, not open to anyone (dec 20th) to have that chaos.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

EA knew the preorders, knew the day that they add them into what server, also knew guild ppl (40%) and in what servers will go
    they should had more servers and do better sharing. Are 7 days of preorder, not open to anyone (dec 20th) to have that chaos.

So that leaves 60 percent according to your made up percentages that they didn't know where they were going. There are servers that have no queue times. So, it seems as though people just tended to go to certain servers for one reason or another. Also, there are a large group of guilds who moved to our server because a lot of the people had played together in other games. EA/Bioware cannot account for things like this.

imageimage

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

Here's hopeing BW has a reasonable smooth launch come Dec 20th because thats when the floodgates really open.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

My queue is over 1500. It's moved down very slow. I think it's because it's friday night. People won't log^_^

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Wait, but, weren't the people here supporting the tiered access system saying it was to avoid this exact problem?  So, why is it happening now?

Actually, the tiered early acces could be the major problem.  As more and more people get access, they may be trying to get into the "full" servers because their friends or guilds (that got access earlier than them) are on that server, thus ignoring any of the new low population servers.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Ok listen up

Rift did the same thing

Then they opened up a ton of servers just like the OP Wants. After retention set in "which will also happen to TOR the only question is how much", a lot of servers were low on population. Bioware have to be careful of not making that same mistake. The result could be cross shard LFG tools to offset the fact they opened too many servers

Be careful of what you ask for.

• purplecowpurplecow Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Dear SWTOR, thank you for the lovely pre-release access. I am loving the game....when I am not in a queue of 900 people....for an hour....and it doesn't bug repeatedly when it gets to 0 sending me right back to the end of the 900 person queue for another hour.

Good!

I never saw a purple cow.
    I never hope to see one.
    But I can tell you anyhow
    I'd rather see than be one.

• AshlindeAshlinde Member Posts: 120

So that leaves 60 percent according to your made up percentages that they didn't know where they were going. There are servers that have no queue times. So, it seems as though people just tended to go to certain servers for one reason or another. Also, there are a large group of guilds who moved to our server because a lot of the people had played together in other games. EA/Bioware cannot account for things like this.

wow.... you understood that post? i read it like 4 times and still have no idea what he is saying....

• AshlindeAshlinde Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by nickster29

Wait, but, weren't the people here supporting the tiered access system saying it was to avoid this exact problem?  So, why is it happening now?

Actually, the tiered early acces could be the major problem.  As more and more people get access, they may be trying to get into the "full" servers because their friends or guilds (that got access earlier than them) are on that server, thus ignoring any of the new low population servers.

ding ding.... we have a winner!

+1 for this post

the tiered access just made this problem a LOT worse. now people that want in with their guild are adding on to completely full servers, increasing queue times. If people had just been given access, guilds would have avoided full servers and rolled on less populated ones, therefore spreading population out much better.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

I think the problem is a little worse than that. Two days ago, none of the servers were full, now nearly all 50+ servers are rammed each with 20minutes-2 hours waiting times. 2 extra European servers will be about as much use as offering a bandaid to a man whose just had his head chopped off.  

But they opened 5 new European servers yesterday too. That's 7 in  roughly a 24 hour period.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Yes they were...funny that.  LOL!

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Hello... you do realize that most schools are now out on Christmas break... meaning that all the college kids and younger are now free to play 24/7.  Soon people will be on vacation... even more people with time to burn.  Then you still have all those people who didn't pre-order who will show up on release day.  It's going to get far worse on Christmas day.  The reward of early access is the pidgeon-hole affect... you are on the most populated servers from the get go.  New servers are for the people who haven't even bought the game yet.

• lukeborgmanlukeborgman Member UncommonPosts: 36

> 1 hour queue for a game I pre-ordered many months ago to play early.  Guild assignments apparently didn't account for proportion of unregistered guildees who would also want to play on the server their guild was assigned.  It seems they can't scale up individual servers.  Don't backtalk me about the alternative of not being let into Early Access because 1) I paid for it and 2) there's no reason to believe it will be better by launch. 

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Seems like they dont have only huge queque problems but also memory leaks on certain areas (Taris for example)...man this reminds me on Tabula Rasa.

Anyway, is this official that everybody can get into early access right now ?

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Wait so they did a staggered EGA so they could see how many servers need to be opened, so that the people wouldnt be in queues and also stability (which I guess last beta failed to do hence the staggered EGA) and now there are QUES BLASPHEMY!

Either way if you let them all in at once or not there will be ques.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Most likely a few servers may be added, biggest issue is several weeks later, chances are the server population will drop pretty significantly compared to launch date. In 6 months, I'll bet 1/4th the people will be playing the game that were at launch, possibly less.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by sammyeli

Wait so they did a staggered EGA so they could see how many servers need to be opened, so that the people wouldnt be in queues and also stability (which I guess last beta failed to do hence the staggered EGA) and now there are QUES BLASPHEMY!

Either way if you let them all in at once or not there will be ques.

Yes, but if you did it "staggered" you get people extra pi**ed because they have to wait 2-4 days in addition to every other crap happening.

Fanbois were all over the forum praising "lag and queue free launch" "best launch evah"...when nooone but handful of them could play, yelling at people how "good it is" and assuring its done to avoid all the crap. They kinda look a bit stoopid now, dont they?

Example thread and post :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/335311/SWTOR-has-the-smoothest-Launch-ever.html