Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Developers Bid Adieu

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the final Producer's Letter on the Star Wars Galaxies site, Tony "Teesquared" Tyson bids a heartfelt farewell to fans of the game that has now ceased operations much to the dismay of its fans.

From my first day to the last, Star Wars Galaxies was, and will always be, a meaningful and memorable part of my life, an experience I'll treasure and share with anyone who wants to hear a good story. It has been an honor to take this journey with you, the community and all of the team members who have made Star Wars Galaxies such an awesome game.

On behalf of the Star Wars Galaxies team, thank you. We have truly enjoyed getting to know you - our dedicated players - over the years. From in-game events to Fan Faires, we appreciate your continued loyalty and support. It would not have been possible without you.

May the Force be with you. Always.

Read the full letter on the Star Wars Galaxies site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's a shame how they destroyed that game. IMO, SWG had the most potential out of any MMO ever created.

What a disgrace.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

its shame that lucasArts and ea felt the need to kill SWG for torcraft.

Even the post-nge swg was way better than themeparky cartoony quirkyness TOR gave...

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Narcin1Narcin1 Member Posts: 145

lol I love how one of the most unpopular Star Wars games is leaving, and all the fans of the game can do is bash other games and talk about how good the game really wasn't. 

And somebody please create a sandbox fantasy world for Yuui so he/she will get off the MMORPG forums where he bashes themeparks for not being sandboxes all the time.

Argh

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

:(

I am sad today.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Having played swg since beta, I can say I am sad to see it go, but I find swtor is better in almost every way. To me swg strong points in any mmo was the crafting and gathering, rest in piece swg and let's hope soe doesn't butcher anymore games.
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

I love how there's just one more product upsell on that page (SWG Memory Book: Coming Soon!).

Even in death, they gotta make a buck.

(Decent letter though)

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I had a great time at launch and 1 year afterward, shame they had to trash it with NGE. RIP SWG.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291

I played SWG in the first few months that it came out, and with the exception of the extensive crafting system it dissappointed me.  What!  I can't start as a Jedi!!!!  I can't run up a hill at full speed?  I quit after a couple of months of playing and went back to EQ1 at the time, which I thought I was going to stop playing for SWG.  Sony always seems to screw up games at launch, and fix them later.  EQ2 is another example of a game totally bad at launch, and is now a really great game in my opinion.  Hopefully the next major MMO launch by Sony will not be so screwed up...

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

SWG - An amazing achievement. It will be forgotten by history, and it will be remembered as a failure. 

It was meant to have been the genre breakthrough that WoW became instead. It had the most insane design sheet. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I've written nothing short of a book on this site about my love for all that SWG was for the years I played it.  It was not a perfect game, often far from it, but it did something right that has been forgotten in modern MMO development.  SWG handed us an amazing universe and the tools to build our own story.  With those things, we created amazing communities, and adventures for years.  For many who loved the game, the problems and shortcomings of the game didn't matter all that much, because we were making our own content anyway.

In light of all the negative chatter SWTOR is getting now that people are playing it, I think what the pre-NGE SWG game stood for is more important than ever.  We need to return to MMO games that are virtual worlds.  Living, breathing worlds that in and of themselves tell a story, and let the players adventure in their own way.  SWTOR is the 'themepark' mindset taken to its extreme and look what we have.  It's an MMO that makes gameplay second to story.  It might have sounded good on paper, but in practice it isn't working for many people.

RIP Star Wars Galaxies, and the past players of my favorite servers:  Bria and Intrepid.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TenebrosoTenebroso Member Posts: 262
    Can't wait so I don't have to read about fanboys crying over NGE this NGE that. I am actually having a glass of wine to celebrate the future!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Stupid, stupid stupid, if they had put up pre NGE servers the game would still be popular.  

SOE is by far the WORST run producer in the business.  Why Sony cannot see how badly SOE is run is a real puzzle.  I think you could actually have a room full of monkeys make better decisions.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I've written nothing short of a book on this site about my love for all that SWG was for the years I played it.  It was not a perfect game, often far from it, but it did something right that has been forgotten in modern MMO development.  SWG handed us an amazing universe and the tools to build our own story.  With those things, we created amazing communities, and adventures for years.  For many who loved the game, the problems and shortcomings of the game didn't matter all that much, because we were making our own content anyway.

In light of all the negative chatter SWTOR is getting now that people are playing it, I think what the pre-NGE SWG game stood for is more important than ever.  We need to return to MMO games that are virtual worlds.  Living, breathing worlds that in and of themselves tell a story, and let the players adventure in their own way.  SWTOR is the 'themepark' mindset taken to its extreme and look what we have.  It's an MMO that makes gameplay second to story.  It might have sounded good on paper, but in practice it isn't working for many people.

RIP Star Wars Galaxies, and the past players of my favorite servers:  Bria and Intrepid.

*tear*   those who wandered the planets in Tempest...I miss you. In SWG i never had to do any quests or go to talk to any people..hell i barly had to leave tatooine....the expanse of space called to me though....its rought to see this one go down in flames, i knew it was happening, and all we as SWG lovers can do is wait for EMU

I have no problem with Themeparks...but Star Wars should never be confined.

• shuvit82shuvit82 Member UncommonPosts: 3

my first post... played swg beta and all the way thru Combat Upgrade (which downgraded combat imo) but couldn't take NGE hitting just after I had finally started my Jedi Village quests. Even with all the bugs was still the most ambitious and most complex mmo. Was a ton of fun while it lasted... fuck SOE

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Good bye, SWG... all depth & complexity went with you.

Thanks, SOE. Thanks for leaving us with this linear BS.

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64

ill miss my wokie droid maker :(   loved the ship fights in space ... was the best for me )

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I got the pleasure of seeing the last half hour on starsider which was from what I was told basically the only server left worth playing on. 

I played 18 months straight a year after launch, the best time in the game up too a few weeks after the NGE.  Best gaming iv ever had thats for sure, of course vanilla wow was pritty damn close up there also.  The game world was a mystical place with day and night cycles that made your mind think you were actually living in the world as it coliated with the real life outside surroundings.  It was a magnificent gaming expierence. 

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

A game that will be dearly missed, but we all saw it coming. I agree with the dude that said they should open a pre NGE server... SOE loves to steal money. They have to have a backup of it somewhere they can load up and squeeze every last penny out of me.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by Zekiah

It's a shame how they destroyed that game. IMO, SWG had the most potential out of any MMO ever created.

What a disgrace.

I completely agree.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

This is the /deathblow to SWG, having been incapacitated by the NGE years ago.

It is symbolic on the current state of western MMOs...  The streamlined linear experience that has been forced on us, that developers think we want, and that some of US even think we want.  Those who stuck it out with SWG for more than a few months know better, we know what a virtual universe CAN be and we now have a thirst for it that cannot be quenched by any MMO in existance.

I look into the future and I wonder when the turning point will be for sandboxes...  We have been in this decline for a while now.  I would say that it really started with the 2003 cancelling of planned sandbox MEO to be replaced by linear LOTRO, and the 2004 successful release of World of Warcraft.  In 2005 the shift was in full force with the NGE to SWG.

We still have not recovered...  It has been 8 years guys...  In a way I am happy, because I have not commited myself to any of these games and it has given me more time to do other things.  I know someday big developers will see the merit in sandbox games again...  How soon?  Probably not another 10-20 years honestly.  That is the problem with these big coorporate companies, none of them will make a sandbox game until they see indications in the market of sandbox games working for a big developer like themselves.  What a catch 22.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

SOE can rot in hell for ruining a perfect MMO!

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

TOR may be cool, but SWG gave me something unique: the opportunity to play in the same timeframe of the classic movies. To be able to roam in Tatooine as I had dreamed since I first saw the movies. To explore places only available in the expanded universe, like the moon Rori. To drive my own landspeeder. To hang out in the Cantina! Boy, those were magical moments, running around in Mos Eisley for the first time... I'll miss you, SWG.

• LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36

IMO, by FAR the best game EVER!  Uploaded some pics to my gallery.  RIP SWG. 

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

My first and favorite MMO

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

I love how there's just one more product upsell on that page (SWG Memory Book: Coming Soon!).

Even in death, they gotta make a buck.

(Decent letter though)

I asked about this book.  Its a free download as a gift to all former players.  They are putting it out in a high quality PDF format so you can opt to print your own copy.  More than likely, SOE can not make another dime off SWG from here on out.  LA had to sign a non-competion clause with EA.  This is the main reason the license is not being renewed.