Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Skyrim - Resistance is Futile

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Yet another MMORPG.com writer has succumbed to the Borg and is fully and utterly immersed in Skyrim. As a player, there is so much to like about Skyrim that it's hard to resist. In a new column today, we take a look at Skyrim from a Player Perspective. Check it out!

The quiet in Skyrim is glorious. No trade channel – no channels at all, in fact. I can do what I want, when I want and where I want. If I want to spend hours rearranging my house (ahem, houses actually), I can, and nobody’s going to ask me why I’m not around to do dailies/dungeons/world events. For a brain somewhat frazzled by workload lately, the peace and solitude have been a boon… and yet, I miss my friends.

Read more of Isabelle Parsley's Player Perspectives: Skyrim - Resistance is Futile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

This game is a SPORPG - not a MMORPG.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by precious328

hmmm... what does the O stand for? Skyrim is not Online. its more of a Action RPG than anything else. and yes, I'd rather read about a MMO culumnist's experience with a Single player game than a re-hash of what we already know about SWTOR or any other game that's not out yet.

Furthermore, Skyrim has a lot of elements that many MMOs should look into for insipration. One of them is the crafting IT ACTUALY DOES SOMETHING USEFUL, and so is the classless levelling system, the great visual experience, fast travel, day and night actually influencing who's up and who's asleep and wether if you can sneak in a fort unseen.

Playing it, I've learned that being a magic user was a lot more challenging than in any other game and it takes a lot of time before you can actually rely ONLY on magic.

so yeah, if some MMO designers read what's out in the community and figure out that skyrim has it maybe the genre will evolve

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

I think SPORG is what most people have been doing while playing Skyrim.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

with the way people act in MMO's nowadays I know i would rather play with NPC. at least i know i wont hear "dude your dps sucks" "omg is that your best gear" "LOLZ i just pwned you noobtard"

maybe I should create a mod that make the players companions say some of those as well as ninja items and go afk before a major fight. just so i can be reminded of the a**hats in mmo communities.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by chbautist

hmmm... what does the O stand for?

Single Player Only is my guess.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Long live Skyrim !

Can't wait for the development kit to be released in January, all that modded goodness will result in several different versions of the game, most likely. Not to mention world expansions and new crafting recipes and new clothing skins and ....

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Yes Yes Skyrim is a good game..but..It's NOT glorious !!

1. It's suffers hard from "Consolitus" Wich is sad and limits the PC version..And If you don't have a controller(Xbox 360) for your PC , you will have to work with the bad keyboard/mouse port.

2. Conversations with NPC's is better than Oblivion but still very bad, sometimes you will end up in all sorts of odd situations, with the person you are talking to staring agains a wall and you staring at a table , with all matter of folks cackling about in the background and so it's impossible to actually hear anything from your dialogue.

3 The AI that handles if and when you have stolen/murdered someone is but funny, you can be out in the wilderness for days only to come back to civilisation and be greeted by the guards ..-"I know what you did " and yet you have absolutly no clue at all to what you actually did..So you will have to reload a 5 hour game session or face jailtime for something that not even the game seems to really know..

4 . The companion system..Well It's a shame really..

5. The combat..Is well bad..and In conjunction with your companion ..it's even worse.. This is partly the consol developments fault as far as I see it..Whats up with not being able to block If I have equipped spells in both hands ?  It could be explained like you have to focus for the spells to work etc, but all in all it's only because the game has to work fluently with a controller , and to many things at once for a controller is a big no no..

6. And If you think you can rid the land from all bandits, well forget it, because so many of the lands bad eggs are immortal and can't be killed. because It would naturally ruin some of it's quests, but isn't that really what this is all about, players choice ? But In this you seem to have no choice as If these bandits would actually hire you at a later stage even thou you tried to kill them all :)

It seems as If I'm one of few that thinks Skyrim is far from the best thing since sliced bread, It's far to overhyped..It's a good game, with a great open landscape..But as far as the story goes..Nah..

If and when ..A roleplaying game world is made with Biowares talent for story/dialogue and Bethsofts talent for open worlds, I would be all over it..I had my high hopes that Skyrim would have been this game, but sadly it isnt..

I would rate Skyrim 3/5 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

If Skyrim has made you LOVE what an MMORPG could/should be, you will absolutely LOATHE what SWTOR has done to them.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• sartoksartok Member Posts: 79
    Wow. You took my very thoughts and put them in writing.

After friends begging to get in TOR I did today. Couldn't pull away from skyrim, the 1st game Iv had fun with in a year

Im 1 hr in TOR and the fact there's story and the agent rock will keep me here all day. The 1st mmo I have had fun with since Warhammers 1st month
  • ace5572ace5572 Member Posts: 113

The O stands for Open

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Skyrim has been a great diversion from MMOs. And personally I think it mostly has to do with the lack of the "omg you spent your talent points where?" crowd. Just being able to explore and enjoy a game and not be constantly reminded that I am only running at 85% effeciency at my designated role.

With that said I started SWTOR last night, and been keeping myself busy plowing through content... promised myself I would listen to the voice acting, but once I realized exactly how much voice acting there was I rolled my eyes and slammed space bar... but I don't skip a thing in Skyrim... what is the difference? My friends on vent going "omfg why are you only level 3 jesus christ hit space bar already" probably has something to do with it.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by PyrateLV

If Skyrim has made you LOVE what an MMORPG could/should be, you will absolutely LOATHE what SWTOR has done to them.

i agree with this, its like skyrim is trying to be an open world and SWTOR is trying to be a singleplayer game.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by thark

1. It's suffers hard from "Consolitus" Wich is sad and limits the PC version..And If you don't have a controller(Xbox 360) for your PC , you will have to work with the bad keyboard/mouse port.

2. Conversations with NPC's is better than Oblivion but still very bad, sometimes you will end up in all sorts of odd situations, with the person you are talking to staring agains a wall and you staring at a table , with all matter of folks cackling about in the background and so it's impossible to actually hear anything from your dialogue.

3 The AI that handles if and when you have stolen/murdered someone is but funny, you can be out in the wilderness for days only to come back to civilisation and be greeted by the guards ..-"I know what you did " and yet you have absolutly no clue at all to what you actually did..So you will have to reload a 5 hour game session or face jailtime for something that not even the game seems to really know..

5. The combat..Is well bad..and In conjunction with your companion ..it's even worse.. This is partly the consol developments fault as far as I see it..Whats up with not being able to block If I have equipped spells in both hands ?  It could be explained like you have to focus for the spells to work etc, but all in all it's only because the game has to work fluently with a controller , and to many things at once for a controller is a big no no..

1- its not such a bad case of consolitis, and the mouse and keyboard work fine. except the inventory menus and trader interfaces are kind of funky and they could have ordered the items better.

2- you can still move your camera during those scenes

3- what are you taking about? sure didn't happen to me.

4- Yeah companions... sometimes they go AFK lol and you meet them back at your house the next day kinda weird but still not a major issue. the fact that they just cant help themselves but spring every trap is also quite comical.

5- your opinion. I think the combat is fine but yes I would like it if they made it easy to hotkey some spells, weapon sets and potions instead of going through the inventory during battle which sort of breaks the immersion (and the favorites menu is not much of an improvement)

I give it 4/5, your 3/5 is harsh

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

5- your opinion. I think the combat is fine but yes I would like it if they made it easy to hotkey some spells, weapon sets and potions instead of going through the inventory during battle which sort of breaks the immersion (and the favorites menu is not much of an improvement)

You realize you can bind anything from your favorites menu to the 1 - 0 keys yea? I didn't at first, so I'm mentioning it just in case you hadn't noticed either.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Yes Yes Skyrim is a good game..but..It's NOT glorious !!

6. And If you think you can rid the land from all bandits, well forget it, because so many of the lands bad eggs are immortal and can't be killed. because It would naturally ruin some of it's quests, but isn't that really what this is all about, players choice ? But In this you seem to have no choice as If these bandits would actually hire you at a later stage even thou you tried to kill them all :)

It seems as If I'm one of few that thinks Skyrim is far from the best thing since sliced bread, It's far to overhyped..It's a good game, with a great open landscape..But as far as the story goes..Nah..

If and when ..A roleplaying game world is made with Biowares talent for story/dialogue and Bethsofts talent for open worlds, I would be all over it..I had my high hopes that Skyrim would have been this game, but sadly it isnt..

I would rate Skyrim 3/5 

1. I agree that its not perfect but im getting use to it now playing Skyrim with key board/mouse i refuse playing it with controlly no way:)

2. Conversation made ALMOST no progress after 6 years after alot of playing(250houres now) you starting to annoy how repeative and limited the NPCS saying always same sentence or words not alot more then Oblivion.

3. A.I is same as conversation ALMOST no progress in 6 years also annoying after while how dumb npcs are.

4. its a nice step forwards but its POORLY implemented with again the dumb A.I and annoying limited conversation your companion have its a mule nothing more.

5. Im rather content with combat as mage i love the dual powerfull magic and how i can shoot and attack mobs also with combo's like one hand sword other a fireball its nice. I agree with companion thats badly done i always say to company wait here most time behind some door or far away other wise it suddenly jump infront of your fireline lol.

6. i agree partly.

Game is by far not perfect but for me the freedom and open beautiful world plus the AWESOME DUNGEONS its still worth playing.

And becouse there is no other game out there that offers this kind of open free roaming world i gave it a 8/10.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• CosbySweaterCosbySweater Member UncommonPosts: 37

I went into my house in Whiterun to find that girl inside.  I figured I could get away with killing her since she was an intruder.  Come to find out you can't hurt the children at all.  The guards came into my house once I attacked though.  You can't even Shield Charge them.  In a sick way it would have been funny to send them flying in the air even if they don't take damage...

• amitava82amitava82 Member Posts: 17

I'm loving Skyrim(infact first Elderscroll game i'm liking) but I'll have to give it 3.5 with the ammount of bugs and poorly designed UI. I'll have to to agree with Vahrane regarding breaking the immersion. I take 1 point for it. Come on, with so many years of experience with RPG, bethesda could not come up with some intuitive UI? Also, I feel the world is so empty. It would have been better if the world had more foes, population. I spend 30 min walking to quest locations and only encounter I get is 2 wolf..! seriously?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Dead-gorgeous gameworld but I'm over it. The fun lasted 171 hours for me. (or quite a bit less if Steam also counts hours played when you are paused or tabbed out).

Good value for money nonetheless. I might revisit it in a year or so and have access to more player mods, hopefully making it a much better game than it is now.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Ok, it may be a good game, but what is a single player game opinion article doing on an MMO website? Frankly the article had barely a mention of MMO's.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

Originally posted by Moirae

Ok, it may be a good game, but what is a single player game opinion article doing on an MMO website? Frankly the article had barely a mention of MMO's.

Many of us that are playing Skyrim and are also familiar with mmorpgs see the open world design of Skyrim as something newer mmorpgs should be asipiring to. To me Skyrim's world is far more immersive than all of those seen in AAA mmorpg titles from the past five years. 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Moirae

Maybe because it is the model for MMORPG's that we should have gotten over the years...that is why so many articles are calling Skyrim the best MMORPG that is not an MMORPG.    It's open and immersive world is "one" of the best that has been seen in a game.   Does anyone recall that these games were originally called massively, multi-player persistent game worlds? 

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

1- its not such a bad case of consolitis, and the mouse and keyboard work fine. except the inventory menus and trader interfaces are kind of funky and they could have ordered the items better.

4- Yeah companions... sometimes they go AFK lol and you meet them back at your house the next day kinda weird but still not a major issue. the fact that they just cant help themselves but spring every trap is also quite comical.

2 As far as I can tell, I coud not move my camera in certain situations, and even If I coud move my camera that doesnt count for the NPC im talking with staring in a wall..

3 Just because It didnt happen to you doesnt make it less true..:)

First day of playing I had a Monk like fellow falling from the sky and landing infront of me..:) I guess that didn't happen to you aswell ?

And..Just to add to my previous post..I find the quests , atleast the ones i have done, far to linear without any secondary solutions at all

My point is that ..Skyrim is beiing pictured as the perfect and mostly flawless game, if you are looking at the reviews...I have only seen one review that dared to give it a rather low score , and that is Swedish PC gamer 79%

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

On mmorpg.com occasionally the writers will toss up an article on a game in another genre that they feel mmorpg gamers are or will be interested.

Nothing new about them doing this, so why complain? 

If you check the forum section list they have an entire section for regular non-mmorpg games for both PC and Console platforms.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

2 As far as I can tell, I coud not move my camera in certain situations, and even If I coud move my camera that doesnt count for the NPC im talking with staring in a wall..

3 Just because It didnt happen to you doesnt make it less true..:)

First day of playing I had a Monk like fellow falling from the sky and landing infront of me..:) I guess that didn't happen to you aswell ?

And..Just to add to my previous post..I find the quests , atleast the ones i have done, far to linear without any secondary solutions at all

My point is that ..Skyrim is beiing pictured as the perfect and mostly flawless game, if you are looking at the reviews...I have only seen one review that dared to give it a rather low score , and that is Swedish PC gamer 79%

Not everyone thinks Skyrim is perfect, in fact many reviewers state the game is far from perfect because of the number of "non-game" breaking glitches...personally Skyrim got an 8/10 from me and it is the highest rating I think I have given any game - ever.   It has its issues and should be scored accordingly.   When I see reviewers giving Skyrim 9.5's and 10/10 I write them off because this game is a great game but it is not that great.   I've yet to find a game that is worth a 9 let alone a 10. 

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Good read, Isabelle. Skyrim is a really great game as she was describing. Yet, even though I enjoy the quiet, I always seem to wonder how long I would be able to go without some human contact. MMO's are the offspring of single player RPG's because it is more fun to play an RPG with someone else. 

Personally, this website can talk about RPG's all day because it is as comparing two parts of a tree: While one is above ground, open and connectend with an entire world, the other are roots that where is began to grow and now hold it in firmly, and that rooting unfortunately is solitary and confinded. I do love Skyrim and have been playing it, but also have picked up another older MMO and I am enjoying that as well.