Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest immersion killing feature - the static world.

Comments

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by lthompson94

Skyrim is the single most overrated game in the history of RPGs.  Go ahead, flame on.

People need to stop whining about what they think is wrong with SWTOR or GW2 or any other game they don't like. 

Do you see the contradiction you just made.

Nice try, but no.

Commenting in an existing thread about a subject that is on topic (in one line) is no where close to starting the 5,000th thread about "why this game sucks," and the proceeding to write my novel of disdain.

Had I started a thread called "Why Skyrim Sucks" when there were already 4,999 threads about the exact same thing... THAT would have been a contradiction.

Back to my point, either continue the conversation in an existing thread,  or stop subjecting all of the readers of MMORPG to pages and pages of pointless opinion on how games should be made differently - or how they aren't up to your particular idea of how they should be.  Games are what they are.   Take them or leave them.  There are plenty of threads to stay on topic and dicuss them negatively or positively.  There is no need to open a new page long thread for every aspect of a game you don't like in an effort to bash it and garner a bit of online attention.

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Tyvolus1

Originally posted by Sideras

Originally posted by Nihilx

I agree completely. The lack of dynamics in npc's, landscape and creatures makes the whole world look like a cardboard cutout on a stage. Combined with the lackluster models, the lack of character diversity both in players and npc's and the purely hotkey driven  combat... I am very worried about the game's potential. There is simply no justification for the state the game is in right now, three weeks before launch.

The story may be alright, but it does not make up for the completely unimmersive gaming experience. SWTOR just isn't up to Bioware standards.

Bioware ain't bioware anymore, enjoy Mass Effect 3 and put them to rest. That's what I'm going to do anyways.

"Bioware ain't bioware anymore"

Sad, but 100% correct. 

When is anything what it used to be after EA?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I completely agree with the OP. I'm having fun playing through the story, but the game is lacking severely in providing an immersive, living world beyond the dialogue.

It ticks me off, because it's a sure sign of a game that was rushed on too short a development cycle, or had serious issues with project leadership. How they had time to produce so much story and large, expansive, detailed city scapes and interiors, but didn't have time to properly script npc/mob behaviours outside of combat, is beyond me.

So much is right here, but so much is lacking; the blown potential will be the biggest source of disappointment for many over the long term.

Anyway, back to playing. I am having fun, just not enthused over the long term aspects of the game once the story runs out...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• PunkrePunkre Member Posts: 92

i think it depends on the planet, sure the lack of NPC's making noise is sorta a problem, especially during combat (you hit them with attacks and they don't make any sounds of being hit.) But I find that the other issues your claiming are a little BS.

No ambeint sounds? Dromund Kass has lightning in the background, rain, and you can hear explosions of other peoples attacks going off (even during talking scenes.) I think this depends greatly on the planet; planets with a very hostile environment are going to be much busier than those with a very peaceful atmosphere. (Hutta Vs the Jedi starting world.)

The lack of music is a very known issue of most MMO's, one thing that is good about this game is that music will pick up during boss fights during the storyline, or after you choose a lightside/dark side choice that had a lot of effect on your character. The lack of constant music is one of the reasons many AAA MMO's end up with mods that allow you to control the music, or why most players just end up turning off the sound and playing their own music, its not because they don't like the music in the game, but because it has like 15mins of dead time between the loops.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by fiontar

I completely agree with the OP. I'm having fun playing through the story, but the game is lacking severely in providing an immersive, living world beyond the dialogue.

It ticks me off, because it's a sure sign of a game that was rushed on too short a development cycle, or had serious issues with project leadership. How they had time to produce so much story and large, expansive, detailed city scapes and interiors, but didn't have time to properly script npc/mob behaviours outside of combat, is beyond me.

So much is right here, but so much is lacking; the blown potential will be the biggest source of disappointment for many over the long term.

Anyway, back to playing. I am having fun, just not enthused over the long term aspects of the game once the story runs out...

more I play the more areas I feel the OP stick out even more... even areas they put steam or smog or whatever it feels so fake and forced there..  all the static mobs of 3 every single area all over the place... i know most people don't care but it bothers me a lot...

Originally posted by Punkre

i think it depends on the planet, sure the lack of NPC's making noise is sorta a problem, especially during combat (you hit them with attacks and they don't make any sounds of being hit.) But I find that the other issues your claiming are a little BS.

No ambeint sounds? Dromund Kass has lightning in the background, rain, and you can hear explosions of other peoples attacks going off (even during talking scenes.) I think this depends greatly on the planet; planets with a very hostile environment are going to be much busier than those with a very peaceful atmosphere. (Hutta Vs the Jedi starting world.)

The lack of music is a very known issue of most MMO's, one thing that is good about this game is that music will pick up during boss fights during the storyline, or after you choose a lightside/dark side choice that had a lot of effect on your character. The lack of constant music is one of the reasons many AAA MMO's end up with mods that allow you to control the music, or why most players just end up turning off the sound and playing their own music, its not because they don't like the music in the game, but because it has like 15mins of dead time between the loops.

as I have not visited all the planets the starter areas stick out the most.. especially Hutta.. hopefully the later planets are better.. but it does make a bad first impression to not put the time into the starter areas to get people more into the world

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Just for you guys information there is in FACT  a AAA mmo that has done this(shows in their alpha and pre alphas I've expereinced and even videos), it'll be coming out next year though. Just to those who said their will never be an MMO like that in years, and for those who really beleive new devs will look at SWTOR's style while making their mmorpgs, which in that case I hope not, I hope new devs try to take two good things and put them together to make it a innovation(not new but a huge step forward.) 

Most people who play SWTOR don't really care  about the static world [yet] because for now there is a lot of players so they won't make notice to the NPCS. I mean I only notice this issue because after trying out an alpha on a mmorpg(before I played Skyrim) is when I really took notice in the static world(as well as gameplay lol). It's all about story for the majority right now.

May the common sense be with you guys also for those playing I hope you have fun, SWTOR is still on my watchlist, it was on my top but something else knocked it down.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by RizelStar

Just for you guys information there is in FACT  a AAA mmo that has done this(shows in their alpha and pre alphas I've expereinced and even videos), it'll be coming out next year though. Just to those who said their will never be an MMO like that in years, and for those who really beleive new devs will look at SWTOR's style while making their mmorpgs, which in that case I hope not, I hope new devs try to take two good things and put them together to make it a innovation(not new but a huge step forward.) 

Most people who play SWTOR don't really care  about the static world [yet] because for now there is a lot of players so they won't make notice to the NPCS. I mean I only notice this issue because after trying out an alpha on a mmorpg(before I played Skyrim) is when I really took notice in the static world(as well as gameplay lol). It's all about story for the majority right now.

May the common sense be with you guys also for those playing I hope you have fun, SWTOR is still on my watchlist, it was on my top but something else knocked it down.

WHATEVER!!!! Here is what you posted a few months ago:

News Discussion « General Discussion

9/06/11 12:27:09 PM

So this (TERA) and Guild Wars 2 might be my main MMOs(Guild War 2 will be top though I mean hell no subscribe) but server vs server type stuff is cool. I also like combat in mmos were you can actually say "You can swing at nothing!!!" lol

....So your post kinda lacks any credibility. GW2 has always been your priority.

There Is Always Hope!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by RizelStar

WHATEVER!!!! Here is what you posted a few months ago:

News Discussion « General Discussion

9/06/11 12:27:09 PM

So this (TERA) and Guild Wars 2 might be my main MMOs(Guild War 2 will be top though I mean hell no subscribe) but server vs server type stuff is cool. I also like combat in mmos were you can actually say "You can swing at nothing!!!" lol

....So your post kinda lacks any credibility. GW2 has always been your priority.

Alright I had a feeling someone would try to start bullshit with me, just for your info I was an SWTOR  fan before 9/06/11 honestly, that's around the time I tried out that alpha of GW2, so let's not get this shit twisted homeboy. 

If you come at me you need to start thinking. Also don't tell me what was my top priority, and as for the Tera yea at that time I figured it be good but in October I rethought that.

A matter of fact I'm not even a fanboy of any of these games, and I wasn't trying to bring up GW 2 because I know people would have a fit just as GW 2 fans do with others when they bring up SWTOR, if you check my history yes I have been over in GW 2 forums and yes I do favor that game as much as I do SWTOR but do I think SWTOR sucks as much as other people be saying? No I don't think it's suck, I think it's a great currrent MMORPG that will give WoW an drainage, I'm not saying it'll kill it either.

If you want to argue against all that then so be it, say what you got to say, do what you have to do, just note I won't respond after what I said because there is no need.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

It must be the crap engine they used to make TOR.

There is a reason there is so little character customization... lack of ambient noise... lack of high-res textures... lack of mobile npcs... lack of AA... and the list goes on...

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Were you really expecting immersion in this game?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by fadis

There is a reason there is so little character customization... lack of ambient noise... lack of high-res textures... lack of mobile npcs... lack of AA... and the list goes on...

not true go on youtube and look at videos of the heroengine.. the engine itself is capable of a lot of things it just depends how much further they want to develop on top of the engine. I do agree they could of chosen a better engine though

Originally posted by Zekiah

not in the sense you get from skyrim or anything but from a story based games yes I would expect a little more immersion over your standard everyday pay or free MMO but instead we got less...

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by Zekiah

not in the sense you get from skyrim or anything but from a story based games yes I would expect a little more immersion over your standard everyday pay or free MMO but instead we got less...

Video and cut scenes, that's where the money went.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Margulis

There was another topic about this here but it got locked for whatever reason - so I'm bringing this one over.  I think this is one of the biggest problems with SWTOR right now and it doesn't seem to be getting the attention it deserves. The simple fact that the world just FEELS lifeless and static. Let me give a few examples:

1. Cities and social hubs - Running through these feels like a library or graveyard, not a bustling hub of activity. Why? Because the npc's are so static - like statues. There is hardly any ambient npc chatter, conversation, or sound (I heard 1 random npc conversation in 2 weekends of testing), and most of them are just stuck in place. You also can't interact with any npc's, unless they are a questgiver, for a small sentence or two of conversation like in other mmo's or the KOTOR games.  There are a few examples of npc's "doing something", but those are in the great minority and even many of those are static in their actions (jedi meditating for example). 

2. Mobs - A very high percentage of mobs just stand in place also, including non-aggro mobs. There is very little scripting / pathing for mobs in this game.

3. Critters / world creatures - Where are they? It's something you don't even really notice till they aren't there, but this game is severely lacking in them. The few that are there are also just stuck in place like statues.

4. Music / sound effects - There are large amounts of time with no music, which I think should be increased. It could also help if there were added ambient sound effects in the game (birds chirping, bugs, npc chatter as discussed earlier, etc).

All of this combined = a very static and lifeless world.

The argument that "this is how all mmo's are" doesn't work at all, as many AAA mmo's over the last 5-8 years have had great ambient atmosphere, npc acitivty, npc conversations, and lots of creatures running around. 

Hopefully Bioware addresses this. The story, voice acting and cut scenes add a great deal of immersion, now if they can just get the rest of the game up to speed it would be awesome.

Maybe this is what is bugging me about SWTOR but I am not sure, there is certainly something lacking. All I do know is the game feels bland and boring, even the underlying musical score is not used to great effect except in the occasional cutscene. The whole thing feels so damn uninspired and I am really dissapointed.

I will keep plugging away at it because I want to like it and I am a total Starwars Nut, but right now I doubt I will sub.

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Maybe this is what is bugging me about SWTOR but I am not sure, there is certainly something lacking. All I do know is the game feels bland and boring, even the underlying musical score is not used to great effect except in the occasional cutscene. The whole thing feels so damn uninspired and I am really dissapointed.

I will keep plugging away at it because I want to like it and I am a total Starwars Nut, but right now I doubt I will sub.

been saying this for awhile.. so many people said the story and everything make up for the lack of everything else missing.. but I don't know I have a feeling this is going to steer away a lot of people unfortunatly

• AzariaAzaria Member Posts: 318

been saying this for awhile.. so many people said the story and everything make up for the lack of everything else missing.. but I don't know I have a feeling this is going to steer away a lot of people unfortunatly

Thats what alot of people have been saying, I know I have. I think the new divide is fluff or mechanics, I DO think from watching this go on that some people prefer fluff and prefer gear grinding so thats really the target audience. Sort of a Raider story driven crowd. I dont know if thier all that worried about interactive environements. The opposite to someone like me I like a basic backdrop story but I really favor Mechanics and event driven games. I dont even like jumping if it doesn't do something useful.

Then again if its bare bones but clean it might keep the kind of crowd RIFT keeps, but I dont think its going to win over any of the PVP crowd, I dont even think it will steal PvP players from WOW. At this rate it looks like it will settle a little under 400k in a year or so.

Originally posted by Azaria

Thats what alot of people have been saying, I know I have. I think the new divide is fluff or mechanics, I DO think from watching this go on that some people prefer fluff and prefer gear grinding so thats really the target audience. Sort of a Raider story driven crowd. I dont know if thier all that worried about interactive environements. The opposite to someone like me I like a basic backdrop story but I really favor Mechanics and event driven games. I dont even like jumping if it doesn't do something useful.

Then again if its bare bones but clean it might keep the kind of crowd RIFT keeps, but I dont think its going to win over any of the PVP crowd, I dont even think it will steal PvP players from WOW. At this rate it looks like it will settle a little under 400k in a year or so.

seems like a pretty solid prediction to me.. unless they pull a ton of new stuff out there hat in the next few months

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Creslin321

I always thought it would have been really fun to just explore Coruscant.  See the wealthy sections and the slums below, find interesting shops and hidden easter eggs.  But it just isn't there.  It's basically a staging area for story and quests and that's what it feels like.

There actually are hidden places, easter eggs, and I also found a workshop of some mini dudes, I dont think the place had any purpose for questing or such.

There's some places and hidden paths that I really had to use ninja jumps and super-moves to get to, and I'm not only talking about some datacron locations, they are the easy ones, it's the chest locations or some other misc areas that are the most fun to discover (there's also soloable boss elites in some scenery huts etc, took me 5 minutes to kill one in particular, and the price was great, nice stuff).

Anyway, I agree with the static world. I didnt pay any attention to it really untill some people was talking about it, it's not so bad now since I concentrate a lot more in progression and finding these secret places and whatnot, but I'm afraid sooner or later when the game becomes more familiar this will be an issue of some level untill BW work on it fast and hard. It's no gamebreaker to me, but it's totally there and should be done something about (after they add the promised UI customization and a couple of other features).

I'm glad James told us in one of the launch interviews that they are keeping the whole dev army after the launch to improve on the game, so it's not just the gameplay teams that keep trucking content and all that, but there's alot more people at work to cover some other areas too.

Originally posted by Kuinn

I always thought it would have been really fun to just explore Coruscant.  See the wealthy sections and the slums below, find interesting shops and hidden easter eggs.  But it just isn't there.  It's basically a staging area for story and quests and that's what it feels like.

There actually are hidden places, easter eggs, and I also found a workshop of some mini dudes, I dont think the place had any purpose for questing or such.

There's some places and hidden paths that I really had to use ninja jumps and super-moves to get to, and I'm not only talking about some datacron locations, they are the easy ones, it's the chest locations or some other misc areas that are the most fun to discover (there's also soloable boss elites in some scenery huts etc, took me 5 minutes to kill one in particular, and the price was great, nice stuff).

Anyway, I agree with the static world. I didnt pay any attention to it really untill some people was talking about it, it's not so bad now since I concentrate a lot more in progression and finding these secret places and whatnot, but I'm afraid sooner or later when the game becomes more familiar this will be an issue of some level untill BW work on it fast and hard. It's no gamebreaker to me, but it's totally there and should be done something about (after they add the promised UI customization and a couple of other features).

I'm glad James told us in one of the launch interviews that they are keeping the whole dev army after the launch to improve on the game, so it's not just the gameplay teams that keep trucking content and all that, but there's alot more people at work to cover some other areas too.

1.   No.  It's for a quest.

2.  Get back to me the first time an MMO launches and you hear "yeah, after launch we're going to let go or move most of our development talent and really scale back the speed at which we improve the game and/or release new content."

Money talks.  If TOR falls below whatever expectations are - talent will moved on to other projects real fast.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

First, the social hubs in WoW are so much more immersive than the ones in SWTOR.  Children run through the streets, NPCs walk around, the architecture and art is unique and usually feels like an actual city.  In SWTOR they are just vast expanses of nothing with vendors clearly marked on your map.

Second, WoW's world is much more "open" than SWTOR's.  With the exception of swimming across the ocean, you can "go" almost anywhere in WoW's world.  This makes the world feel so much more real, because you can almost always explore anything you see.  SWTOR is so closed and guided compared to WoW.  If you wander to far out of a zone you are insta-killed, there are red walls in places that you can't pass through, and every planet is only accessible by fast-traveling through space.

Okay this I dont understand really, there might be some child running in WoW's "city" - but the fact is that game does not have cities other than the main ones. From Crossroads to Tarren Mill through Darkshire, all the "cities" or quest hubs are made of 1-4 small cottages in a very small area. That's not immersive or "deep" or anything like that, that's just a practical quest hub pretending to be a town if you listen to the NPC's, when in TOR you have many many big actual city-looking areas, with big and tall buildings and a lot of space in every direction. Many cities have multiple speeder taxi locations because they are so big.

Second, you might want to level past the two first areas because the worlds get a lot more open after that. Also, if you are Republic the first areas are two times more linear than the Empire ones, I dont know the reason for this. Hutta and Dromund Kaas are alot more open than the Trooper starting area or Coruscant.

• coldcut333coldcut333 Member Posts: 86

Just going off videos ive watched I would agree with OP,mobs just standing around looks weak and hope they plan on making them path.

Saying that though,i dont understand people who play an online games to fight NCPs,all about the PVP baby!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I was looking forward to seeing Coruscant also, and just can't believe they even made that feel like its not really a city - the whole planet is supposed to be a city, and yet somehow, you run around in a part of it, where you can only see the city in the distance.  It's not even about exploration for me, so much as just thinking it'd be a cool place to experience in a game.. but this isn't even about the static environment, so much as the stark lifeless map design itself.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by fadis

not true go on youtube and look at videos of the heroengine.. the engine itself is capable of a lot of things it just depends how much further they want to develop on top of the engine. I do agree they could of chosen a better engine though

I have seen the Youtube videos.

Although it looks like the engine has a lot of features - it doesn't look to perform very well.  If there is another explanation why TOR is missing so many of the items mentioned above... and please don't tell me they aren't important, weren't noticed... or they didn't have time! 

Okay this I dont understand really, there might be some child running in WoW's "city" - but the fact is that game does not have cities other than the main ones. From Crossroads to Tarren Mill through Darkshire, all the "cities" or quest hubs are made of 1-4 small cottages in a very small area. That's not immersive or "deep" or anything like that, that's just a practical quest hub pretending to be a town if you listen to the NPC's, when in TOR you have many many big actual city-looking areas, with big and tall buildings and a lot of space in every direction. Many cities have multiple speeder taxi locations because they are so big.

Second, you might want to level past the two first areas because the worlds get a lot more open after that. Also, if you are Republic the first areas are two times more linear than the Empire ones, I dont know the reason for this. Hutta and Dromund Kaas are alot more open than the Trooper starting area or Coruscant.

I wouldn't call Hutta "open" in anyway not even close... ill agree WoW is'nt very immersive at all BUT its art style does a much better job of making you feel part of the world than TOR. But WoW the story isn't as involved as TOR's not even close so it's really not as noticable to me at least than it is in TOR.. also maybe I just expect little more from a pretty much 2012 release.. guess I expect to much..