Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP Would You Play Religiously If It Came Out With An MMO (Even if it was a Themepark MMO)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by itchmon

4) for a modern fantasy setting, Neil Gaiman's Anansi boys/ American gods world, (and if you havent read american gods?  go do it now, it's not only a great fantasy but at its core a wonderful book about america)

They were good (even though I think Stardust were even better), but the no1 Gailman book I would love to see as a MMO would be "Good omen" which he wrote together with Terry Pratchett. Great book and it would make a very interesting game with good Vs evil + humor. :D

WoT would suck as a MMO though, at best you would be Rands henchman or something. Just like LOTRO is that world too focused on telling a single story so there is limited room for the players in it. Song of ice and fire is better that waybecause even if winter is comming are there still many plots all over the place. 

The only way a MMO in WoT would work is if you put it before the books or after. The players should be the heros, or at least have that option, in a MMO.

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Icewhite

The Book(s) of Swords -- Saberhagen

Thomas Covenant -- Donaldson

Ringworld/Known Space -- Niven

Heechee  -- Pohl

Ender -- Card

Neuromancer (et al) -- Gibson

Moties -- Niven/Pournelle

Foundation -- Asimov

Not all of them would be suitable for a great MMO, I don't think, but they all have "deep" enough universes, enough "lore" to work with.

I would expand Foundation to include the whole Azimov universe as they all seemed to be pulled from the same timeline.

The Gaean series Titan , Wizard, and Demon By John Varley

David Drake - Hammers Slammers or Lt. Leary novels

Secret Histories series ( Eddie Drood ) - Simon R. Green

Any of the C. J. Cherryh Universes. Red Moon - PVP, The Well series - Fantasy, Downbelow Station/Company Wars/Cyteen/Chanur/Faded Sun - SciFi

All these would be acceptable worlds/universes to live in, whether they would make good games is another question.

But I'm thnking I'd be more interested in a "NEW" IP, "New" to me, anyway. A lot of the IP's I'm familiar with also have expectations based on my experiences with them and rememberances of them.

------- END TRANSMISSION

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by Mythios11

Boogie Nights

i + 1 this LOL.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by evolver1972

1.  Dune

2.  The Malazan Book of the Fallen series from Steven Erikson

3.  The Dark Tower from Stephen King

4.  The idea behind the original The Matrix (leave out the idiot crap in the sequels)

Of course, they would have to be B2P for me to play them!

i heard there making a movie of the dark tower. or some sort of series. i know my wifes sister loves those books. could make for a good game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kyleran

While I like many of the suggestions given in this thread, upon reflection my favorite MMO's have been for titles with unknown (or little known) IP's such as DAOC (OK, Arthurian Legend is pretty big, just more of a public domain thing), Lineage 1/2 (yes, I know its based on an Asian IP), EVE, and even WOW (game lore from RTS of same name, but not traditional lore.)

Games based on IP's such as LotRO, Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer and even Conan all pretty much tanked in my eyes.

True, but the reason for that is that lazy devs thought that a cool IP is enough, it isn't. Just slapping Warhammer or something on top of Wows mechanics isn't enough. You need to create unique mechanics to fit the IP to pull it off, otherwise it is easier to create a world yourself for the mechanics you already have.

Games like LOTRO or WAR never really feels like the IP because of that. Levels is just wrong in Warhammer and the same goes for healers in LOTRO no matter how you try to explain them. What part of only Istari can cast spells didn't Turbine understand?

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

1. Shadowrun

2. Wing Commander/Privateer

3. Chronicles of Riddick Universe

4. Underworld

5. Walking Dead

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Game of Thrones, aka A Song of Ice and Fire, esk game would intrigue me...I see it as a political sandbox type game.

Star Wars and LOTR would be in my top 5.

Sword of Truth Series by Goodkind would be an interesting concept.

Riddick universe is vast and could prove new and exciting.

• davecocacoladavecocacola Member Posts: 2

Shannara

Dune

Thieves' world

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

Originally posted by dannydeuce

Sword of Truth Series by Goodkind would be an interesting concept.

would there be a way to make the mmo based only on the first 4 books?  because in my eyes the series went to poop after the 4th book :

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

1. Shadowrun

2. Foundation

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

@loke666:  i remember reading good omens at the beach one day & laughing so hard  i was crying, and everyone @ the beach was looking at me like, what the heck is that dude reading?  great times, great book.  it makes me so sad that TP is so sick with that very dreadful alzheimers :[

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Member Posts: 22

This is the most commit I can give based on IP-

IPs that would have me watching dev site from day 1 till at least Beta feedback:

World of Darkness (Currently on back burner for CCP)

Wheel of Time if combat system was good and the grind well disguised behind story driven goals.

Ugh when I started typing I had a longer list but it just kept growing till I lost the track of 'em all in my head. TBH the Tolkein style fantasy (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs) has been done to death, resurrected and repeated a dozen times over. Robert Jordan's world is still fantasy but at least it offers a different perspective on it. Other than that I think I'd be most interested in any title that got away from fantasy (Horror or Sci-Fi) and did it well. Hense my interest over the past several years in The Secret World and SWTOR (follower since 2007 and 2009 respectively)

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

@ Puuk

I totally forgot about Shadowrun and Chronicles of Riddick.

Nice choices.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

1. RuneQuest/Glorantha

2. Kult

3. Firefly/Serenity

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Suikoden. Maybe Disgaea, although considering the ridiculous amount of grinding one can do to "max" out their characters in those games, I probably wouldn't have the patience for it.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Mass Effect.

Hell it'll probably happen someday.

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Firefly

Call of Cthulhu

Mass Effect

Conan (would prefer Funcom's version to be lower fantasy than it is, but meh)

With all the above, a lot would depend on implementation, of course.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Discworld.. of course, depending on how good it's done, though.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

D U N E

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by ormstunga

D U N E

Hmmm pick a Royal House of the Lansrad to join. Compete for control of Dune. Fight a massive intergalactic war for supremacy... And 100% Elf free.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Weird title.

I dont do sandboxes.

And I dont care for any IP that much that I would "play religiously". I want a certain quality in the game itself, and I'm highly spoiled by Vanguard.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Actraiser: This game is part of my childhood, the ability to become what look like a cupid with godly powers to eliminate the devils and start rebuilding the world, people worship me and and give me tributes, and i help them out by defeating whatever is causing so much trouble within my humble villages. The game is half RTS and half Platforming RPG. To turn it into a mmo, it need a bit of a modern tweak but keep to it's basic form of what it was, in a mmo setting it will be somewhat more teamwork then it was solo.

Bleach: although most people don't like bleach because of how the anime is filled with so much fillers then naruto has and how it's aimed for kids like dragonball Z is, but if I ever wanted a bleach mmo, I want it to be aimed for adults, and more into the gameplay and graphic style of the game Infamous, design my own character who has a selected personal background between other characters, the discovery of powers and defeating hollows that wants to devour you and steal your power. I think most likely it be more of a spin-off then in the main storyline.

Shadow Hearts: Another game that I took an interest after playing Shadow Hearts 1 and 3, however I like 1 better then 3. the game has an alternative history that is going on in the past, such in Shadow Hearts 1, the russian vs japanese war is going on, and a warlock by the name of roger bacon is causing havok among europe and japan. I want a game somewhat similar to this game where demons are running around killing people due to a curse or whatever bad things kept them into this plane, and a storyline that is an alternative history that is going on, and doing quests to historic characters. the ability to play for good and evil and have unique abilities.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Thunder cats pls

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

The Centurions! (80's cartoon) POWER EXTREME!

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

Planescape

Shadowrun

Bas Leg (China MIeville books)

The Many Colored Land (Julian May books)

Warhammer - Done properly