Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP Would You Play Religiously If It Came Out With An MMO (Even if it was a Themepark MMO)

Comments

• davvindavvin Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

I'll say this and everyone will laugh but I'm telling you a Narnia MMO would be cool. So many races to choose from and could have 3 faction PvP plus all the different characters that could be used for bosses/faction leaders, etc. Probably wont happen though :(

I would love a Narnia MMO!

A couple of my other choices:

Bleach

Monkey Island

Alias or Chuck (a good spy MMO would be great!)

Stargate

Elder Scrolls

And there's some others I'm sure, but those are the ones that stick out right now. And like most people have said, I'd love it if they made a game based off of those IP's, but only if the game doesn't suck.

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Originally posted by Dranny

Skyrim

Skyrim is not an IP, think you mean Elder Scrolls or TES.

But for myself id say Warhammer 40k or GTA !

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62

That's easy... it would be Stargate (if done right)!

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Originally posted by Nethermancer

Originally posted by digiownz

Originally posted by Metanol

Originally posted by Grotar89

A Song of Ice and fire

^^ or Dragonlance.  Could never get into Forgotten Realms.. /shrugs

Song of Ice and Fire refers to A Game of Thornes not Dungeons and Dragons.  You are thinking of Icewind Dale.  You remind me of my friend who hated Forgotten Realms and was a Dragonlance guy, doesnt really matter because you both are wrong because R.A. Salvatore is a f**king god among authors.

R.A Salvatore IS the most over rated fantasy author of all time. You really need to read more books or stop being 10 years old.

And you need to die IRL.  j/k but Salvatore is my favorite fantasy author and Douglas Adams is my favorite Sci-Fi author and its not even close.  I have read so many books in my 42 years on this planet (on average 1 per week) and I have enjoyed those 2 more so then any.

Who is your favorite Author?  Stephanie Meyer or JK Rowling? lol.  And dont say George R. R. Martin because he writes like he is explaining rocket science, so hard to follow his style because it doesnt flow in rythem and synch like a good book does.

Please mods dont ban me for just kidding for the die in real life comment.  :P

Steven Erickson (fantasy) Dan Simmons (scifi). And i will NOT die in real life because i need to read The Black Company which i just started.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• emperorvlemperorvl Member Posts: 103

The Cold War!

I've always tried to envision a great MMo based on the cold war with espionage, arms race, industry, and micro skirmishes which bring the world to brink of nuclear war.

Asterix and Obelix

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

Star Trek (If done correctly)

Dune

Firefly

Elder Scrolls

Or, a game set in Lovecraft mythos (Call of C'thulu)

James Bond (Espionage, spy type of game)

Terminator (set in the future)

FarScape

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Farscape

Babylon 5

Silmarillion

Diablo

Wheel of Time (but probably not the one that's coming out by a new developer)

Originally posted by s1fu71

Star Trek (If done correctly)

Dune

Firefly

Elder Scrolls

Or, a game set in Lovecraft mythos (Call of C'thulu)

James Bond (Espionage, spy type of game)

Terminator (set in the future)

FarScape

You have Star Trek (If done correctly)

Would you do the others if they weren't done correctly?

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

If it stays true to the PnP Source then: Shadowrun.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Originally posted by Homitu

Wheel of Time

Wheel of time would be awesome!! They started to make one but I think it was cancelled.

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by Homitu

Wheel of Time

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Final Fantasy...oh wait...

Thomas Covenant? The White Gold Weilder? WTF? Mr "I am a rapist and a man dying of leperosy"? Wha? Seriously? What in the lore would make that a compelling game environment? Hell might as well go with Last of the Renshai while you are at it.

You sir owe my curiosity an explanation for such madness! :)

DAMN HOW COULD I FORGET:

Palladium's RIFTS! Going with a Juicer or Vampire Hunter. No wait Ultimax pilot! No NO Ley Line Walker... no wait.... Dog Boy!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Depends on how the MMO will play. Just IP doesnt predict anything about that. I always liked Lord of the Rings (thanks to these books I now read for fun) and loved the movies too. I also liked the idea about the MMO, that you werent going to play as a main character, but someone in the background. But LOTRO was too boring for me. They created the kind of MMO that I wasnt interested in. I tried to like it, but I couldnt last a month. Even though I love the IP.

So while it can be interesting if a new MMO is announced based on an IP that I like, I dont really get that excited untill the developers tell more about the features and gamemechanics. Preferably using ingame footage.

For example, I would love a MMO based on Discworld. But that would need cooperation from Terry Pratchett himself. I really dont want others to mess up his humour and characters. And even then it really depends on what kind of gamemechanics will be used.

Originally posted by StSynner

Stargate (screams MMO. someone should take another look at the idea) 

They did and it was cancelled last I heard.

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

Owww! I love this game!

Uhh... Star Wars the old re... sorry wrong thread.

What I would really like to see is a good Sengoku based MMO. One that is fairly historically accurate.

I have a problem with MMOs based on existing world with set stories and characters.

Every one wants to be Conan, Drizzt, Aragorn, but they have already done all the cool stuff.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by emperorvl

Lol, that would actually be an interesting setting. I used to love to read those comic in my youth.

• lionkiller46lionkiller46 Member Posts: 1

I would love to have a dragonlance mmo. There is so much history and lore in the series it would be perfect for such a game. Each generation could be an expansion. Being able to adventure with the characters from that series would be awesome.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

And you need to die IRL.  j/k but Salvatore is my favorite fantasy author and Douglas Adams is my favorite Sci-Fi author and its not even close.  I have read so many books in my 42 years on this planet (on average 1 per week) and I have enjoyed those 2 more so then any.

Who is your favorite Author?  Stephanie Meyer or JK Rowling? lol.  And dont say George R. R. Martin because he writes like he is explaining rocket science, so hard to follow his style because it doesnt flow in rythem and synch like a good book does.

Please mods dont ban me for just kidding for the die in real life comment.  :P

Douglas Adams were indeed great. I like the Icewind dale trilogy by Salvatore myself but think his books started to drop in quality after them. I wouldn't call him bad still, but I think that Denning, Greenwood and Grubb have made better FR books, and at times, Cunningham.

I do not agree with you about Martin, I like his style. I am not as impressed about Jordan though, while Eye of the world was a great book he kinda started to be too slow for my taste after it.

The thing with books is that they really are a matter of taste. Some people love when the story is about many people and switching constantly while others prefer to have the book focused on a single hero or party. Both works for me.

There are many great and rather unknown authors who write great fantasy though.

My personal downside with Salvatore is that I don't paricularly like some of his characters. People like Wulfgar, Bruenor and many of the bad guys never really felt that much too me. I like Jarlaxle and Regis though.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by lionkiller46

I would love to have a dragonlance mmo. There is so much history and lore in the series it would be perfect for such a game. Each generation could be an expansion. Being able to adventure with the characters from that series would be awesome.

Actually, yes. Dragonlance would make some epic flying mount battles if nothing else.

I think Ravenlofts steampunk horror would work as well. The advantage to that before DL is that CCP actually owns the right to RL.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Mortal Kombat MMO would be sick. Though I wouldn't done in the traditional MMO style. I'd want it to play at least somewhat like a fighting game.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

5) GRR Martin's game of thrones books.  for a political intrigue type of game it would be the best.

4) for a modern fantasy setting, Neil Gaiman's Anansi boys/ American gods world, (and if you havent read american gods?  go do it now, it's not only a great fantasy but at its core a wonderful book about america)

3) I wanna indulge my steampunk freak flag, so i'll choose my favourite steampunk type world, the Engineer series by KJ Parker.  In the US it's hard to find, but if you can it's worth every second spent reading.

2) Star Control (the RPG series of the 1990s) i am sure some of you other older folks remember how amazing the star control games are .  My choice for the space/sci-fi game.

1) of course, of course, ages come and go, and eventually the legends that were once ages fade from memory, but a wheel of time MMO would live forever, for me, just like the books do, and RJ himself does.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

While I like many of the suggestions given in this thread, upon reflection my favorite MMO's have been for titles with unknown (or little known) IP's such as DAOC (OK, Arthurian Legend is pretty big, just more of a public domain thing), Lineage 1/2 (yes, I know its based on an Asian IP), EVE, and even WOW (game lore from RTS of same name, but not traditional lore.)

Games based on IP's such as LotRO, Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer and even Conan all pretty much tanked in my eyes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

A very well done Potter MMO might keep me glued... so long as it wasn't just about Hogwarts.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

1.  Dune

2.  The Malazan Book of the Fallen series from Steven Erikson

3.  The Dark Tower from Stephen King

4.  The idea behind the original The Matrix (leave out the idiot crap in the sequels)

Of course, they would have to be B2P for me to play them!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!