Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What IP Would You Play Religiously If It Came Out With An MMO (Even if it was a Themepark MMO)

Comments

• digiownzdigiownz Member UncommonPosts: 5

Originally posted by Metanol

Originally posted by Grotar89

A Song of Ice and fire

^^ or Dragonlance.  Could never get into Forgotten Realms.. /shrugs

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Yea either Fallout or R.A. Salvatore's version of AD&D Forgotten Realms. Menzoberranzan, Icewind Dale, Waterdeep, the Sword Coast, and the rest of the locales of Abeir-Toril.

If you like Salvatore he's working on an MMO with Todd McFarlane and Ken Rostlen for Kurt Schillings. The RPG they made comes out in a month or two. MMO tba :( 

Yup ive been following KoA: Reckoning for a while now, ive even posted a few things on here.  I am looking forward to this game even more so then Skyrim, since it features open world but more action orientated combat.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Well before EA shut down Westwood Studios, there was a Command & Conquer MMO being made. Not RTS style, but MMORPG style. I would play the shit out of a C&C MMO.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Warhammer 40k (in the works!)

Dune

Romero Zombie Franchise

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by digiownz

A Song of Ice and fire

Song of Ice and Fire refers to A Game of Thornes not Dungeons and Dragons.  You are thinking of Icewind Dale.  You remind me of my friend who hated Forgotten Realms and was a Dragonlance guy, doesnt really matter because you both are wrong because R.A. Salvatore is a f**king god among authors.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

Star Wars....oh wait...

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

on a lighter note Adventure Time or Samari Jack MMO's

on a more serious note Malazan book of the fallen MMO or shadow run

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374

Hrmm.  I'd like the thought of a mmo off the Nightwatch series (The Lukyanenko novels.  Not the shoddy movie based off of them).  The whole bit about these supernatural things happening right infront of our eyes with us not even being aware of it is is intriguing to say the least.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by toddze

I dont play MMO's for the name thats stuck on it. Anybody that does is setting themselves up for a dissapointment. Atleast IMO.  Everybody has their own idea of what they would want their favorite IP to be in an MMO. If you havnt noticed some of the strongest opinions on MMO's comes from an MMO that has a big IP associated with it. Look at conan and star wars.

All true, but some IPs would make better MMOs than others.

I personally think that using a P&P IP like Shadowrun or Call of Cthulhu is better than using one from books or movies. Those IPs are made specifically to offer a lot of things to do for the players instead of just telling a great story, which really isn't the same thing.

The difference between Forgotten realms and Middle earth is really that FR were made for players to discover and join the plot themselves. ME was made to tell a single story, a great story but it have less room for players to make their fortune than FR.

Of course just slapping a Wow skin on top of a P&P IP don't work, Warhammer is one of the great one but the MMO failed since it wasn't really Warhammer.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Starcraft mainly. Also a bit of Fallout.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

A Song of Ice and fire

Song of Ice and Fire refers to A Game of Thornes not Dungeons and Dragons.  You are thinking of Icewind Dale.  You remind me of my friend who hated Forgotten Realms and was a Dragonlance guy, doesnt really matter because you both are wrong because R.A. Salvatore is a f**king god among authors.

R.A Salvatore IS the most over rated fantasy author of all time. You really need to read more books or stop being 10 years old.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    I'll say this and everyone will laugh but I'm telling you a Narnia MMO would be cool. So many races to choose from and could have 3 faction PvP plus all the different characters that could be used for bosses/faction leaders, etc. Probably wont happen though :(
  • DecaeDecae Member UncommonPosts: 14

Shadowrun.

Originally posted by Nethermancer

A Song of Ice and fire

R.A Salvatore IS the most over rated fantasy author of all time. You really need to read more books or stop being 10 years old.

And you need to die IRL.  j/k but Salvatore is my favorite fantasy author and Douglas Adams is my favorite Sci-Fi author and its not even close.  I have read so many books in my 42 years on this planet (on average 1 per week) and I have enjoyed those 2 more so then any.

Who is your favorite Author?  Stephanie Meyer or JK Rowling? lol.  And dont say George R. R. Martin because he writes like he is explaining rocket science, so hard to follow his style because it doesnt flow in rythem and synch like a good book does.

Please mods dont ban me for just kidding for the die in real life comment.  :P

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Nethermancer

A Song of Ice and fire

Just because you're a Rick Riordan fan it doesn't mean you have to bash Salvatore. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Wizardry.

...and I get my wish in 2012. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Originally posted by Icewhite

The Book(s) of Swords -- Saberhagen

Thomas Covenant -- Donaldson

Ringworld/Known Space -- Niven

Heechee  -- Pohl

Ender -- Card

Neuromancer (et al) -- Gibson

Moties -- Niven/Pournelle

Foundation -- Asimov

Not all of them would be suitable for a great MMO, I don't think, but they all have "deep" enough universes, enough "lore" to work with.

Exceptionally good list, IceWhite.  Are my brainwaves being transmitted again?

I particularly love the Known Space stories from Niven.  But organlegging could lead to all sorts of new griefing possibilities.  I'd probably prefer Ringworld or the Mote in God's Eye over those for just that reason.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• golabgolab Member UncommonPosts: 21

Elric

"As a foulness ya shall know them."

• MasterChaosXMasterChaosX Member Posts: 52

Harry Potter

Pokemon

DragonBall Z (in the US)

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

I like games, and MMO's, but i doubt that i would play anything long term, as in a year or longer.

Everything gets old eventually, no matter how much you like it at the start. kind of why we have these folks ( like me too i guess) that look back on old games and think the best is behind us:P

Some games grab us for a while others we just do not get why people like them at all. But if those older games were so great, we would still be in them right?

Guess the main thing that makes games stop appealing to me is one of the things MMO's are made for. They change.  UO was great, and i am not really into PVP, but once they changed it to seperate servers, it lost something.

Same thing with COH, i really liked that game till they changed the way some of my characters played, and i didnt like the way i felt so much weaker, so i stopped playing that, and all the way to today, i can not last there for more than a few days when i try it again.

WOW was the last i played for over a few months, and again once the expansions started, while each was ok, something seemed to change for me and i can not last there long either anymore.

Heh guess i am doomed to be a short term player, since MMO's can and do change, and any game i start and like, will eventually be changed in some way and it will lose something for me. All that said, i still prefer open world, skill based games like UO had. Think that type of game would have the best chance of grabbing me for any kind of longer term.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Legend of Dragoon . I like many things but a new Legend of Dragoon game is probably the only games I'd ever buy without thinking, so a MMO I'd just die over. Though they would have to do a lot of tweaking to make it MMOish, having a million dragoons just doesn't make sense, but the IP only has one game so I don't think people would hate new things as much as more developed IPs.

Others I would play religiously if done right:

1. Warhammer 40K, so hopefully that MMO is good, but even I am a little skeptical so far, even though I'm not as well knowledged in the IP as others. I think a Warhammer Sandpark would be better than themepark or sandbox, it makes more sense if you think about the IP. Also it would have to be pvp oriented, otherwise it wouldn't fit at all. <-This is why I'm totally ok with tyranids starting out not playable, because it gives the sense of Warhammer without pvp, so that people with a liking for pve don't feel left out, which will ultimately make the game more profitable. I just hope there are some huge battles pve and pvp, 40k without some gigantic battles would not be good to me.

2. Black and White: Would be an interesting new type of MMO, having RPG and RTS elements. A sandbox would make most sense.

3. Pokemon: I real one, it would do best as a Themepark with small sandbox elements.

4. Star Wars: I'm perfectly fine with Swtor, satisfies the story part of Star Wars universe, but to satisfy my battle lust (only things I liked about episodes 1-3, besides Jango) Swtor isn't it. It would have to be based off Star Wars Battlefront, Xwing vs tie fighter, and Star War Clone Wars game. It can have pvp and pve, with AI as smart in these games, which is a lot smarter than any MMO despite their age. This game would be a themepark with some sandbox themes.

5. Spyro: I'm showing my age, but I don't really care for most of the IPs most people here grew up with. Would love to play a dragon, even a cute dragon. However, the dragons would have to look like the original Spyro dragons or at minimum Legend of Spyro dragons, any squashed faced freaks and I'll /facepalm. Spyro would clearly be a themepark.

6. Lego: A game that can easily have Themepark and Sandbox elements, the Universe game was a joke. When you love lego and played Lego Knights Kingdom and many Lego Adventure games, you know Universe was capable of a lot more than it gave.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

a gundam mmo. not the sd version but regular gundam. saw they have one coming out in japan but not in the us. =[ 

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Originally posted by ForTheCity

a gundam mmo. not the sd version but regular gundam. saw they have one coming out in japan but not in the us. =[ 

tried EXteel (NCsoft) ?

not really an MMO but i think youl like it

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

How fucking DARE i forget Shadowrun!!

OH my god you guys are brilliant!!

I would say...

1. Fallout

2. Wheel of Time

3. MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE!!! YES!

4. Shadowrun

5. World of Darkness (ohh waitt... :)..)

6. Nightwatch! (fuck yeah!)

7. Stargate! I wish they did and they were going to but it cancelled...

8. A better original D&D sandbox one would be dope too. 

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

I wouldn't play any game blindly/religiously based on IP alone.  The IP gets me to try something (because it's the outward-facing skin of the game I can see without playing it) -- but it's gameplay which determines whether I stay and play something religiously or not.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver