Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Secret World: What Weapon?

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,609MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

One of the most interesting features coming in The Secret World is the nearly limitless combination of weapons that players will have at their collective disposal. In our latest column devoted to TSW, we take a look at the exciting prospect of a wide-open weapon configuration. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Forget about game mechanics for a second and ask yourself what type of weapon would you use? Many people love the dual pistols, or the katana, even magic is on the menu. The options seem endless. While I always started out as a solid straight fighter in most games in recent years I have found myself really digging the hybrid combos lately. Weapons and spells combined make for some great character builds and I am hoping something in the game allows for a healer-DPS hybrid. Sure the skills are untlimited but when it comes to a character’s arsenal I am now drawn to being totally self sufficient as a player. I can heal myself and beat you up? Done.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Secret World: What Weapon?

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

I think it will be awesome to have that range of choice available to the players. My weapon choice: Shotgun with a flail for backup.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NervesNerves Toronto, ONPosts: 7Member

From my understanding, there will be a very small number of faction-specific skills that you can earn by increasing your standing with your faction.  Me??

I'd like to go with a

melee tank (sledgehammer) + shotgun

healer + sledgehammer melee dps

rifle + crowd control

• zhivikzhivik SofiaPosts: 38Member

Sure, if there is choice, it will be great. My personal choice - a sinper rifle for ranged combat, and then a straight-blade bastard sword for close quarters :)

• Khaine007Khaine007 Kansas City, MOPosts: 35Member

This Illuminati will be using a Sniper Rifle for ranged DPS, and either pistols or some form of bladed melee for up close.  Not sure whether I'll delve into any magic.  Looking forward to trying this game out.

• RedcorRedcor Austin, TXPosts: 426Member

Originally posted by zhivik

Sure, if there is choice, it will be great. My personal choice - a sinper rifle for ranged combat, and then a straight-blade bastard sword for close quarters :)

Ditto, I like the way you think

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• SenadinaSenadina San Diego, CAPosts: 896Member Uncommon

Gonna make a southern gal who uses shotguns and voodoo ( blood magic? or chaos?).

• DragimDragim Boring, KSPosts: 867Member

This game looks promising for the most part, I hope they do decide to make it more of a "war between factions" rather than "all factions don't like each other and can be friendly". But I fear I will be dissapointed.

The factions I think will be "wary" of each other but still able to group up and quest (for some strange reason), but oh well.  I suppose if I want a faction v faction v faction I will look up Prime whenever it comes out.

Either way though the game has some potential.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t PhoenixPosts: 606Member Uncommon

I  ilke it when it upclose and personal so I gonna be dual Blade Chaos Magus.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• eyceleycel rolling hillz, PAPosts: 1,334Member

Oh no not the "it has an endless amount of wepons" story again, I heard this about dead island too but yet it didnt have that many. 

Its never good to start off a new topic about a game in the works with "limitless amount of weapons". 

• OzivoisOzivois Phoenix, AZPosts: 598Member

As long as every single skill has a counter this should be great, but if not expect cookie cutter best dps build/ best tank build/ best heal build to be the norm.  I sincerely hope that mobs have resistances to different kinds of attacks. For example, some mobs take extra dmg from fire, other mobs absorb fire damage.  Or some mobs bulletproof, but weak against melee weapons. Same for our defensive skills, some buffs good against some mobs, but useless against others.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Beaverton, ORPosts: 867Member

I want a shotgun, that can double as a cudgle. Cuz that's what shotguns do.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• ropeniceropenice Lake Worth, FLPosts: 587Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Dragim

This game looks promising for the most part, I hope they do decide to make it more of a "war between factions" rather than "all factions don't like each other and can be friendly". But I fear I will be dissapointed.

The factions I think will be "wary" of each other but still able to group up and quest (for some strange reason), but oh well.  I suppose if I want a faction v faction v faction I will look up Prime whenever it comes out.

Either way though the game has some potential.

Factions can team up with others because they are all humans trying to save the world from evil. They will haves zones/areas where they fight and compete for their factions objectives against other factions.

• 69Cuda69Cuda none of your fucking bussinesPosts: 251Member

It is still Fun Com making the game right? lets pray they can make a working game with at least 20% of the content at release that isn't a steaming pile then I will get exited about the features such as unlimited weapons.

The game mechanics look to good to be true and it is FunCom making it which means it probably is ..yeah nm Think this is a pass until at least 6 months after release and many many player reviews. If they are smart they should do a free trial from day 1 of release to try to overcome their reputation.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Seattle, WAPosts: 309Member

Shotgun or magic shotgun (a magical shotgun).

This is my BOOMSTICK! 

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• AkruxAkrux Goderich, ONPosts: 56Member

• AkruxAkrux Goderich, ONPosts: 56Member

• oubersoubers bazelPosts: 876Member Common

as a dragon i will be using a katana in one hand and magic fireballs in the other hand :p

gonne be epic :)

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Calgary, ABPosts: 176Member Uncommon

As long as I can wield a two-handed hammer and heal, I'm there...

• wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Grawn, MIPosts: 22Member

Originally posted by ropenice

Factions can team up with others because they are all humans trying to save the world from evil. They will haves zones/areas where they fight and compete for their factions objectives against other factions.

I expect the FvFvFvM element to play out much the way it did in Anarchy Online; grouping up with the other factions is possible but not common. I think it's interesting that they're not taking a "save the world" ideology for ANYBODY though... you go in and clean up the mess but everybody in the town still dies. It's not your job to save them in TSW, just to make sure the rest of the world never finds out what happened to them.

• VargurVargur OsloPosts: 143Member

Hopefully TSW will allow us to maintain combinations of melee and ranged weapons, but I fear most will end up with only one per build. A melee weapon for tank builds, and some ranged weapons for the various dps builds.