Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of Fanboy and Troll-ism: What is the point?

MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Honestly, I just don't understand either of these. Every time I see a post praising or hating a game without any TRULY valid justification I just want to punch the person who wrote it in the face. A few examples:  "SW:ToR Will Fail." "SW:ToR, The Next WoW Killer", "GW2, The Best In 10 Years" (How do you even KNOW that? The game's release date hasn't even been announced!", and one that really just sent me over the edge, "While the kids are off playing SW:ToR . . . " under the ArchAge forums. Granted I didn't bother to read the last thread because I had a feeling I would be beating my face in with a bat after reading it. Why do people take it on to be the destroyer or defenders of games? Most of these people that praise or hate games are so ill-informed anyways that it's just a utter waste of time to spend any time reading what they have to say. "SW:ToR has too in-depth story, people don't want that--they just want to skip past some flavor text and kill the next objective, and that is why WoW is the better MMO" Really? Really, is that what people want now? -_- Another one that really bothered me, "The game mechanics in GW2 are so innovative that all other games won't be able to compete." Okay, don't get me wrong--GW2 looks damn good, but stop praising it without and due cause. How would you know that? Yeah sure we've all watched the videos and it looks pretty dang amazing, but how in the world could you possibly have any knowledge of the game mechanics? Well unless you are secretly a developer, then please listen to me and release the dang game already. 

Basically what I am trying to say, is stop it with the poorly backed posts about why a game is bad or not. People spend all their times praising or doomsaying games that they don't actually have time to play the game and formulate a real opinion. So just get off these dang forums, wait for the games to come out, play them, then get back to me and tell me what you think after that. Maybe then you will have something worthwhile to read, until then I'll just avoid your posts to prevent myself from . . . punching you in the face.   

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Its obvious you dont read all the post becouse there are some who realy come with valid replys and good arguements.

Plus punch others in there face(i condem violence specially so less importend matters as opinions over games there are WAY worse things in this world to be angry about) becouse you dont like what others say or how they react to some games and topics about them?

Duhh....HELLO... forum... discussion... opinions, you know thats what forums are for right?

Dont take it all to personal, after all who cares what people say about your favorite SWTOR go play and enjoy its only a forum with opinions of people you dont know and prolly live half across the planet hehe.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Drama24-7Drama24-7 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by MisterSruntil then I'll just avoid your posts to prevent myself from . . . punching you in the face.  

If you punched me in the face I'd have to kick you in the eye. This kick would be so powerful, so epic, that your eye would shoot out the back of your head. And, people would call you "hole eye" after that. Hole eye!

Next time a wannabe-fanboy like you attempts to troll the saavy readers of this fine forum you'd better learn how first cause this ain't no drill, son, this is the main event.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by MisterSr

1) Why do people take it on to be the destroyer or defenders of games? 2) Most of these people that praise or hate games are so ill-informed anyways that it's just a utter waste of time to spend any time reading what they have to say.

1) Forums are for PVP, and many enjoy playing.

2) As in MMO's, some people aren't very good at PVP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

This happens when two AAA titles are near launch. Now that SWTOR has launched, it will be the GW2 fans turning up the heat. When GW2 launches, all will be semi-normal again until the next two AAA's near launch.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    This is an 'i love swtor' stealth thread.Throw in a quick random line about swtor just to make it seem you are being fare then rant on about GW2 lol,nice try though. Look,you like swtor and not GW2,thats okay though,i am the other way round but dont hide behind a stealth thread to voice my concerns about biowares new clone wars single player hybrid.See, i come right out and say it instead of pretending i am down the middle,post history is your friend.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

I'm tired of all of these "I can fix people who desire to express their opinion with a well placed wall of text banter" -ism posts.

It's not going to happen.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by Jarazar
    This happens when two AAA titles are near launch. Now that SWTOR has launched, it will be the GW2 fans turning up the heat. When GW2 launches, all will be semi-normal again until the next two AAA's near launch.

I think Secret World will be the next down the pipeline. We'll see the "ooo shiny new" people turn on TOR and then hail it next.

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

I dare say he avoided his own post; that was one heck of a rant if ever I saw one.

As for the topic; completely objective, rationally thought out arguments have their place, that mainly being in reviews, but not discussion boards as a whole. If it was a requirement to back up your claims with evidence and/or first-hand experience then I say that these boards would be little more than a place to gather news and not comment on it until such a time as we get to play it.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I cant speak for everyone. I can only speak for myself and my actions.

One thing that will set me off on forums is when fangirls make outrageous claims, like "insert game"  is going to kill WoW.  Or this game is going to have millions and millions of subs.  The only game that will kill WoW is WoW, its doing one hell of a job in doing it. but the fact that idiots think their new found game is going to be the 2nd comming of christ just rubs me the wrong way.  Another example, in the GWII board theres a topic called "list of guild wars II inovations" 98% of that list is in no way shap or form innovative. Sense of reality has completly overtaken them, they dont even know what the word means anymore. They will argue untill their blue in the face, several tried telling me innovations doesnt mean new. wtf are they smoking in the dictonary the first definition of innovative is something NEW.

So the point for me is trying to knock the over zealous fangirls down a notch or two.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The one thing that kills me are the people that say they hate grinding and hamster wheel type mechanics. Yet here they are, every day on the forums saying the same things over and over and getting wrapped up in circular arguments that have no point. You don't like repetition? You hate pointless grinds and endless cycles? Then prove it and stfu about it already.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by PukeBucket

I think Secret World will be the next down the pipeline. We'll see the "ooo shiny new" people turn on TOR and then hail it next.

yeah TSW is up for beta within the next month or so and launches in April.

It hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as SWTOR had this close to beta but then again with SWTOR on the shelves EA might redirect their marketting dollars for the next few months.

Either way the ones who have heard of it are more inclined to berate Failcom than actually give the title more than a passing glance.

Off topic: EA is behind 2 major MMO releases in short order. Compensating for letting Command and Conaquer Online go in the trash bin all those years ago? I mean who would want to play an MMO convert of a RTS series? lol

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Jarazar

I agree...

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Everybody loves something.

Everybody hates something.

Do you think your point will convince anyone to not voice their opinion?

It just doesn't.  I'm as frustrated as you are.  But that doesn't change reality.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just got done playing LotRO, and will now go play Eve, while waiting for SWTOR, to keep my mind off the software I'm about to release myself.  No, it's not an MMO.  But still... stop fueling these "they care about my opinion!" orgasms, and make your own decisions.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The entire point of trolling is to encite a reaction.  You making this thread = victory for the trolls!  Before ever doing so again, please read #4 of this article, and for the love of all that is holy, heed its advice: http://www.cracked.com/article_18861_5-internet-life-lessons-parents-need-to-start-teaching-kids.html

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by wvmaxfangvw

It hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as SWTOR had this close to beta but then again with SWTOR on the shelves EA might redirect their marketting dollars for the next few months.

Either way the ones who have heard of it are more inclined to berate Failcom than actually give the title more than a passing glance.

Off topic: EA is behind 2 major MMO releases in short order. Compensating for letting Command and Conaquer Online go in the trash bin all those years ago? I mean who would want to play an MMO convert of a RTS series? lol

TSW will get a lot of hate not because of TSW, but for one sole reason, we all know what it is. Funcom has earned their piss poor reputation for a reason.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• wvmaxfangvwwvmaxfangvw Member Posts: 22

<p>"TSW will get a lot of hate not because of TSW, but for one sole reason, we all know what it is. Funcom has earned their piss poor reputation for a reason."</p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Um yeah, that's what I said? AO and AOC both had horrible launches. Visually and conceptually their games are top notch but playing on day 1 (hell even month 6) was like bashing your face against a wall. But going to give Ragnar the benefit of the doubt since this is his first MMO release... we'll see if the Beta is a breath of fresh air or a dreadful deja-vu and go from there.</p>
    <p> </p>

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by wvmaxfangvw

TSW will get a lot of hate not because of TSW, but for one sole reason, we all know what it is. Funcom has earned their piss poor reputation for a reason.

I can agree with that, but look at the "ooo shiny" crowd.

They don't really care if the game is a clone, poorly made, half done. They move from one properly advertised product to the next.

The Secret World has done a pretty good job at getting its name out there.

These are the people who talked up FFXIV, talked it up, talked it up. Played it, found out it sucked. Then went on to rave about RIFT. How it's the next best thing, rifts are going to change mmo gaming as we know it... Then 3 months later they join in calling it a shabby wow clone (but like the former pope quite Polish). SWTOR is getting that shine now. They'll be done with it by March.

It's a cycle I think a lot of game companies like to see because as long as they can get impressive "start" numbers then they can troll* (like in fishing) a line with investors and keep going well enough.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by DannyGlover

The one thing that kills me are the people that say they hate grinding and hamster wheel type mechanics. Yet here they are, every day on the forums saying the same things over and over and getting wrapped up in circular arguments that have no point. You don't like repetition? You hate pointless grinds and endless cycles? Then prove it and stfu about it already.

The difference is that the amount of variation in forum discussions is by a certain amount of people conceived to be far greater than in the repetitive games. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Originally posted by DannyGlover
    The difference is that the amount of variation in forum discussions is by a certain amount of people conceived to be far greater than in the repetitive games. 

I'm sure its possible. It just seems like people who type "I hate hamster wheels" ten times a day in various formats are failing to see the irony.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

You got fanboi problems? I feel bad for you son, but I got 99 problems and a troll ain't one!

Seriously..it's the internet. Soon as you stop taking everything so seriously, it gets better. If the rabid fanboism and trolling bothers you so much, just leave the thread and go somewhere else. Or better yet, leave the internet and go outside or something. It's a beautiful world out there. Don't  miss out on it because of the negative nancys on the internet. I hate the trolls too and sometimes I wish they would think before they hit submit but eh..the world is filled with a lot of people and they are all different. You just have to roll with the punches and not get butthurt over something said on the internet.

:)

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Everyone who posts on the internet has been a troll one time or another.  Being a troll is a rite of passage.

Now being a Fanboi is disgraceful.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Sorry but its the truth

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Every fanboy is a hater and every hater is a fanboy. It all depends upon what game they like and dislike. Very same people who call other 'fanboys' for defending their games do exactly the same when their own personal favorite MMO is under fire. It is quite amusing actually. Too much double standards on forums.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

lol, that other guy hid the GW2 rant better. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Nobody in their right mind would say that any given game is perfect or greatest of them all. People who claim such things are morons and they need to be reminded of it from time to time. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion tho. People should detach themselves from their games more.

I liked Pirates of the Burning Sea, but that game was average at best. I liked it - but it doesn't change the fact that it was shitty.

On the other end of the spectrum, I thought Dragon Nest was a brilliant game and apart from the art style and sound effects, I found nothing wrong with it. I didn't like it very much tho. Don't know why. Still... a great game.

Hey I'm playing Eve Online right now and I could write a book about whats wrong in the game and what CCP could do better. Still doesn't stop me from playing.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky