Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum: An Interesting & Attractive Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP has been sitting atop the sci-fi MMO hill for a long while now with all challengers somehow being repelled. But in our latest review, we opine that Perpetuum Online, given enough time and love, may finally be the one to at the least make CCP share the king of sci-fi MMOs title. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

For the most part, Perpetuum manages to be an interesting, and dare I say attractive experience. The art direction follows the path of a beautifully realised world of technological chaos; the natural world elopes around the electronic wonders of the synthetic inhabitants; weird and wonderful alien plant life spring out of every crevice and every horizon is illuminated by the invasive view of a metallic structures.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Perpetuum: An Interesting & Attractive Game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

It really is a great game, and would still be playing it if not for the large time commitment that is needed for games like this. It's actually the same reason I had to quit eve.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I completely agree with this review.

However, there is one aspect missing from this review and it was such an important aspect that it was the only reason why I stopped playing Perpetuum...

When you graduate from light robots to mechs, the mechs are really weak, ineffective, and expensive ammo-wise. This really spolied the game for me because all the mechs really look the business and I was really looking forward to piloting one.

Admittedly, I spent 95% of my time soloing - and this is not a solo game. Nevertheless, I think my critisism still stands.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Arquiteto
    It really is a great game, and would still be playing it if not for the large time commitment that is needed for games like this. It's actually the same reason I had to quit eve.

I really think that if they just gave the game MechWarrior style combat, it would be flooded with players. Keep the mining, the market and the skill point system, just add MechWarrior style combat.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    I thought it was like Mechwarrior too. But in the words of Jim Gaffigan describing how you feel when someone gets you clothes for christmas,

"not even close."
  • keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

Quite honestly I think you are being far to kind. Gameplay 8/10? I havent played in a while but AI was atrocious last time I played. Pathing was also horrible. No grouping of modules (at least none when I played) made for cumbersome button mashing. 7/10 would be a stretch, more like 6/10.

Considering 90% of the game is cut-and-pasted from EVE online, you still give them a 6/10 for innovation? Pathetic. It should, more realistically, be like a 3/10. Inverting skill point accumulation from EVE's system isnt exactly a ground breaking innovation.

I realize I havent played since beta/early launch, but aesthetically it was NOT an 8/10, and I doubt they are right now. Since most people who think of a Mech, thinks of a 10 story tall 150 ton hunk of molten death rays, running around a planet where your barely as tall as the shrubbery is somewhat of a letdown. Far too kind, should be 6/10.

How much did Avatar Creations pay you for this review?

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

wow  MMORPG tellin  blatant lies again..    WOW-Best mmo ever,   

perptumm  most attractive game.  

whos writing this nonsense.  They need to think about getting rid of some of these horrid article  writers.   You guys are gonna end up with a reputaion like gamespot soon enough. 

It..Burns..

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by keitholi

Considering 90% of the game is cut-and-pasted from EVE online, you still give them a 6/10 for innovation? Pathetic. It should, more realistically, be like a 3/10. Inverting skill point accumulation from EVE's system isnt exactly a ground breaking innovation.

This is only compounded by Perpetuum's devs claiming that it's not an EVE based game.

• ArtekArtek Member UncommonPosts: 62

Are you serious? This game is a blatant engine rip off EVE. The actual gameplay is extremely boring, travel times are extremely long, overal I would give it 5 - if that!

** Reality.sys corrupted - Unable to start Universe **

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I wanted to like this game, but couldn't.  At the end of my trial period (granted this was some time ago), the only thing I could honestly say I really liked about the game was the music.  The music rocks imo.  Besides that, I found most things to be pretty boring...dead in fact.  The world felt dead, and there did not seem to be a wide variety of vehicles available.  They used Eve's systems, but only included 10% of the content. 

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I found the game to be interesting, but not my favorite.  it definetly has it's niche of players, but as others have said, it could use a little more.

My main point in posting is thanking the staff for showing me a new word....Opine.

Define Opine;

Opine: Hold and state as one's opinion.

In Example:"“The man is a genius,” he opined".

I will be using Opine all the time now when I post, thanks! :P

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

How did you give aesthetics an 8?  The game looks like 90's garbage.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Decent game when I tried it. Very time consuming though, and very EVE-ish in terms of a lot of mechanics. No real reason to try and explain this, give the trial a go and you will see. I did like the mining mechanics (coloured node maps) but it was a bit of a clickfest that became an issue over time, but that's what you got macros for I suppose.

Overall the biggest problem I had in about 20 days playtime (I gave it a serious try) was the lack of content, and little variation in the existing content. You'd generally end up doing the same missions in a rotation with the same vehicle as there are only a hand full of vehicles and not really that many customization options.

Graphics wise it's a bit hit and miss. Certainly looks decent, if not a little dated by now, but it passes in most areas. Textures are probably the worst part, followed by low-poly environment models.

Certainly worth mentioning is the high level of dev-player interaction, a rare sight these days.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

interesting review ... seems AC started their ad campaign :-)

Played the game for a few months. While you can spot the EVE inspiration in many places it is unique enough to stand on its own. There are some balance issues (as in each game) but the Devs actively talk to the comunity and fix things. Since the dev team is small, progress is slow. However they do have some great ideas.

The 2 major issues are:

1. lack of contect - simple missions, industry, exploration (artifact scanning). there's nothing else except PVP. no player created anything.

2. client performance - ok I played under Linux/Wine, but I got 10 fps outside a terminal with nobody on screen with a radeon 5830. the game is heavily CPU limited.

Once AC fixes the first point, they will get some traction and the game will be excelent. Currently it is only good. I will check in a few months if the client performance improved.

• gibogibo Member Posts: 25

Been play this game for a year and seems quite a fair review and I agree it needs more end game content and more tools . The larger mechs are quite powerful once you have enough skills and more advanced modules. Many improvements during the last 6 months too, New NPC AI, highways for faster travel, player customised NPC spawns, end game mechanics has changed a few weeks ago and many more missions.

Its a pitty about the review date because the graphics is having a revamp tommorow, together with the introduction of the first hover bot hauler.

This game has a loads of potential, and its getting better.

• GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207

While growing slow, the game has a great community.

Yes the game's graphics engine is getting an overhaul.

I like to play games mainly for their mechanics. But I agree the look is what first grabs your attention and some tend to fell the game's graphics are a bit dated.

The game does have a 15 day trial. I would recommend anyone who likes FFA PVP loot, sandbox games with player driven politics, market, and industry to check it out!

• mercedes308mercedes308 Member Posts: 1

Been playing the game for some months now, starting any new game is daunting.

This game is no different, but not as bad as eve.

New players get to learn in safe areas, and pvp is optional (unlike eve).

The training method is good, no more alarm clocks to switch skills.

The tech tree is easy to learn, all the higher tier items use normal materials (no moon goo here).

The dev's and gm's contact you ingame to check your ok, and answer questions.

If you want to be in a game where you matter,  And you can your make your own place in game.

This is it

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40

Too similar to Eve is a con?? Just stupid... Anyways... This game is awesome, if you're thinking about giving a new game a shot this one is worth your time!

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• gibogibo Member Posts: 25

This game is awesome and its getting better after every patch, with gameplay improvements content and the first glider bot. They are going to add even more gliders and for end game new player owned structures more landmass (bigger islands) an a few months. This month we will get walls to build and bombs to clear plants and the new walls as a counter.

Its worth a try!