Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret Question Lockout

Has anyone else encountered this little gem? It spams you a secret question. Refuses to accept the same answer that worked a week or two ago in beta. You end up in the endless loop of password resets, and can't get CS on the phone. (7 hours on hold total so far. Got hung up on after 3 last night)

I am so close to just cancelling my CE preorder and never buying another EA product again. Between this and the idiotic way they are handling their pre release release it's pure amatuer hour. 

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I read someone using the "forgot password?" function on that, solving it for him. Or did you try that?

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Lots of people. You can't deal with it without calling SWTOR Customer Support and be thankful you can actually wait for an answer, a lot just get a message telling them to call back later.

Write down or take a screenshot of your security questions next time (also they work best if they aren't true, provided you don't lose the notes/screenshot).

[edit] Before they wiped the forums someone stated that putting a space in front of the answer made the answer acceptable (apparently the Webpage was bugged for a while). Also, its very sensitive to Case and spacing.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Its a pain in the ass but I guess it will keep us safer supposedly.  Luckily I wasn't going through one of my paranoid phases or I would have made up answers and forgot them by now, lol.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by SysOpPsyche

Also, its very sensitive to Case and spacing.

Well, spaces would count as extra characters so any extra space at the start, end, or anywhere else would break the password.

In my experience, they're NOT case-sensitive though.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

This stuff happens some times, just be there to help others when the same thing happens to them is what I would do instead od going ape crazy and rageing on EA.

Hope you get it worked out though, best of luck matey.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Thanks for clearing out these bugs before us late-preorders get in :P Right?

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Terranah

Its a pain in the ass but I guess it will keep us safer supposedly.  Luckily I wasn't going through one of my paranoid phases or I would have made up answers and forgot them by now, lol.

Personally I think in the long run this security feature will cost SWTOR more in money (tech staffers don't work for free), time, and player good feeling, than just having to deal with people who had gotten account hacked.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Terranah

It does nothing except force you to randomly spit out some random combination of passwords above and beyond the actual normal password that you chose to set.  It's illusionary and completely pointless security. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Yeah this security question bullshit that companies like using sucks. Now instead of having to remember a password(we can't even do the one we like because it has to be in a certain format) we now have to remember the answers to five questions. For instance I know what street I lived on, but I don't remember the EXACT way I typed it. It's ridiculous.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Woot now up to over 100 attempts to call their Customer Service. Total time on hold between drops (on the extremely rare occasions I actually get into the queue) 12 hours! Total CS people spoken with. 0!

And this was with the only load on their system being the expected and predictable number of pre-order customers. Won't this be fun when the game hits retail?

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

click forgot password rather than logging in, its a workaround. The guy on the phone told me too. Just change your password to the exact same one you're using atm.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Shouldn't be using random stuff or hard / unfamiliar wording.

Good example:

Q: What is your favourite activity?

A: sex

Ok, you might end up having same answer like 212.204 other people but it will be easy to remember.

Originally posted by Lashley

click forgot password rather than logging in, its a workaround. The guy on the phone told me too. Just change your password to the exact same one you're using atm.

I've done this. 20 or 30 times now. But as soon as I go to log in it pops up for the same Secure Answer that has been causing the problem. It doesn't matter if it is forums, web page, launcher, phone etc.

• yuweeyuwee Member UncommonPosts: 16

As soon as I was asked to use five security question, I knew there was no way in hell I would remember them. Screenshot is definitly the way to go to avoid this or like me write them in the note section within KeePassDB. Hope your problem is fixed soon.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by DarkPony

I read someone using the "forgot password?" function on that, solving it for him. Or did you try that?

That was me.  And yep, it worked.

My experience with the website overall has been less than stellar.

• WolfenbaneWolfenbane Member Posts: 48

it doesnt change your secret question though resetting your password...you still get asked it when trying to login.

Ive contacted CS many times now and they are simply repeating a script of "call this number" even though ive told em my phone has a bar on these sorts of numbers.

Theyve now said send us a scan of your passport that matches the account - show them my passport to play a game? your fookin kidding right?

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Originally posted by Gortz

it doesnt change your secret question though resetting your password...you still get asked it when trying to login.

Ive contacted CS many times now and they are simply repeating a script of "call this number" even though ive told em my phone has a bar on these sorts of numbers.

Theyve now said send us a scan of your passport that matches the account - show them my passport to play a game? your fookin kidding right?

What, you a wanted murderer or something?

Or just don't have a scaner?

• lonhelyglonhelyg Member Posts: 73

Hello guys ..

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with this , I'm getting really upset and my panties are getting all knotted up , I just dont know what to do .. :(

thanks xxx

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Gortz

You may get asked again, but it should allow you to play once you've answered... again.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I remember once having to scan and send my driver's license to prove I was over 18.

• CityHamCityHam Member Posts: 63

I can login to Game Client on PC but not forums

I can login to Forums on Netbook but not Game Client

ClusterFuck, this is.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by DarkPony

I can confirm that this does in fact work.