Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Found Oblivion lacking, should I get Skyrim?

2»

Comments

• KarbonoidKarbonoid Member Posts: 83

I used to like Skyrim like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.

If you're uncertain, I'd say wait a few months and pick the game up for a much better price, and get some better UI mods at the same time (if you've got a pc) .

I'm not particulary taken with Skyrim myself, but I recognize a good game when I see it even if it's not my cup of tea.  There are no better sandbox rpgs out there that I know of.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Mardukk

I am currently trying to get through Oblivion and I'm finding it to be a chore just to start up the game.  I think the game is ultimately lacking in urgency.  I do appreciate the freedom the game allows you, as well as the exploration.  I also appreciate that they are trying to be realistic, but I think they are being realistic to a fault.  Make the game too realistic and things get dull.  However, without urgency/danger/variety I'm finding it very difficult to log back in. 

I'm debating whether to pick up Skyrim or not.  I hope I haven't been too Themeparkified (new word!).  I'm wondering if anyone else out there who found Oblivion boring/dull but are really enjoying Skyrim?

Dungeon crawling i say yes its BEST featers SKYRIM have 10/10. For a realistic and beautifull world to explore and lose yourself, Skyrim is the game.

But for rest no progress sinds Oblivion its realy sad how many bugs and limited AI plus voices for me are huge dissapointment even when there 70 voices now. Path finding NPCs is bad and companion is badly done even annoying.

Some quest lines are nice but many are just a filler.

Master lvl is for main part way to easy DRAGONS ARE A JOKE way to easy to kill them.

UI and simplification of skill tree is sadly dumb down to lvl thats not worth mention its a joke.

I hope MODS will improve alot becouse besides dungeons and exploring in a great looking world rest of game is big dissapointment.

Played 240hours so far so i can fairly judge the game hehe.

Game becouse no other on market and i love open free roaming worlds gets still a 8/10 from me but thats absolute max i give i hope mods will improve the game alot.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I couldnt get into Oblivion, put about 6 hours into it before it went in the closet. I am totally in love with Skyrim. IMHO the best single player fantasy rpg ever made to date.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I am currently trying to get through Oblivion and I'm finding it to be a chore just to start up the game.  I think the game is ultimately lacking in urgency.  I do appreciate the freedom the game allows you, as well as the exploration.  I also appreciate that they are trying to be realistic, but I think they are being realistic to a fault.  Make the game too realistic and things get dull.  However, without urgency/danger/variety I'm finding it very difficult to log back in. 

I'm debating whether to pick up Skyrim or not.  I hope I haven't been too Themeparkified (new word!).  I'm wondering if anyone else out there who found Oblivion boring/dull but are really enjoying Skyrim?

Your reasons for disliking Oblivion is still present in Skyrim and will be for Elder Scroll games to come. It's how they make their games. There's no urgency for anything. In fact it's encouraged to use it as a hiking simulator

Is the game heads over heals better than Oblivion. That's a sounding yes but not because it's more action action action!

The game is awesome that way. Fast paced gameplay is best left for other titles

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Skyrim is a must buy for any RPG lover. Period.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

You sound like you prefer being told what to do, where to do it, when to do it, and how fast.

Don't play.

I just don't get how people can be given freedom, keys to the car, and they just sit there wondering what to do.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

As I have said earlier:

Morrowind rocked.

Oblivion sucked.

But I enjoy Skyrim, even though I was bored with Oblivion. Get. It.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Dude, I tried playing Morrowing for like an hour and got bored.

I forced myself to play Oblivion for like maybe 10 hours total over a week, constantly trying to get into it and failing.

I've had Skyrim for a couple weeks now and I've put in 150+ hours into it. It's insanely fun even for someone like me who has never gotten into an Elder Scrolls game in my life.

Sometimes it can feel like there's a lack of urgency, but when it comes to the main quest, you're constantly reminded of the main threat with each dragon attack. You're pushed in many different directions and one minute you could be helping the war effort on whatever side you choose (Stormcloaks or Imperial), you could be keeping a magic school from being destroyed, become a werewolf, a vampire, steal everything from everyone, kill almost everyone, run simple errand or kill quests for extra money (of which there are infinite quests), either running into situations head on and just swinging your weapon until it's finished, or sneaking up and backstabbing enemies, or blasting them with magic...

... Swords, daggers, axes, maces, greatswords, battleaxes, warmaces, staves, dual-wielding,  bows, shields,  Destruction magic(Ice, Fire, Lightning), Restoration magic(healing), Alteration magic (buffs and such), Conjuration magic (summoning), Illusion magic (fear people, make yourself invisible, etc.), sneaking, lockpicking, heavy armor, light armor, robes, etc., etc.

THE CHOICES!

Plus it's fun in both first person or third person, and both work awesome. Third person looks amazing compared to the other TES games, if that matters to you.

Anyway, I love this game, gonna be playing it for another week at least for now until I get SWToR. Then we'll see how that goes.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i was undecided before buying Skyrim because i never felt like playing Oblivion, it never pulled me in so i didnt want to waste my money with Skyrim. But reading about it and watching videos and comparing them to Oblivions gameplay, i somehow found differences that actually helped me decide to buy Skyrim while letting Oblivion fall into Oblivion.... and BAM!!! best single player game in my booklist = Skyrim

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Quite simply:  SKYRIM ROCKS.....

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I didn't care for Oblivion at all (and never bothered with earlier Elder Scrolls games), but absolutely LOVED Skyrim.

I found the "ending" to be somewhat anti-climatic, but it is actually ok as the journey itself was diverse and rewarding in so many ways.

Skyrim is the first game in a decade I am considering going out and buying the strategy guide (after already beating the game), and trying to experience all of the secrets with a new character.

I found the melee combat to be visceral and fun (especially blocking and the skills associated), the magic effects to be cool and fun to use, and the assorted factions and quest lines to be diverse and enjoyable.

Nothing beats wandering the land and stumbling into a dungeon/camp/etc you weren't looking for and finding content on your own though. It is great when you wander into a place, loot the items, and walk to a new town and they recognize you have completed the quest before they gave it to you. :)

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Kost

I personally couldn't stand Oblivion, but I absolutely love Skyrim.

Same for me. Still have Oblivion installed on my PC but once I finished the Dark Brotherhood quests, lost all interest. Skyrim on the other hand, having a blast.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Simple answer, HELL YES!!

I didn't like Oblivion much myself, but i did love Morrowind and deffo loving Skyrim!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

i liked oblivion but did not love it. I LOVE skyrim. I have already played Skyrim for more hours then oblivion. But yeah you cn always wait until it is cheap on Steam in 6 months.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Skyrim and Oblvion are very similiar but "the devil is in the details".

It depends on what one didn't like about oblivion. If it is an open ended world then "sure" you might not like Skyrim.

I loved Oblvion but Skyrim has a better feel to me.

It has its issues but I just love the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I really liked Morrowind - I HATED Oblivion - I LOVE Skyrim.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Never played Oblivion but I've enjoyed Skyrim. Although I am pacing myself. I've had the game 2 or 3 weeks and I am still only level 12 lol

Edit: paciong should have been pacing

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Margulis

I really liked Morrowind - I HATED Oblivion - I LOVE Skyrim.

HATED Morrowind - disliked Oblivion - liked Skyrim (loved it at start, kinda got bored of it)

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I thought Oblivion was meh. I love Skyrim, however.

• ChemcalChemcal Member Posts: 32

Looking past the shiney graphics, unique way of advancing and the major changes to this game. The MAIN MAJOR difference i am UNGODLY thankful of in this release.

more than 2 voice actors... And they're good!

I still say daggerfall was the best tho, skyrim is a beautiful game and an extension to the franchise. I've been playing these games since Arena, and to be quite honest they all feel the same to me, with their own respective advances. 

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

I was also "ehh" on oblivion however Skyrim is likely the bet RPG i have ever played.... here is why for me:

There were 2 main things that made me not so excited about Oblivion that Skyrim has crushed...

1. Main Storyline - I just didn't like the Oblivion one, it felt to repetetive, Skyrim fixes that ( imo )

2. Cookie cutter dungeons - Oblivion dungeons felt cookie cutter, i recall this one place i would sneak into ( back door ) and loot something for money, it kinda ruined the game because it was too easy/exploitable..

Both of these are gone in Skyrim and frankly it feels more like a world than Oblivion did, for me at least.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Get the fx post processor mod and the graphics just become amazing. Also recommend the mod that slows levelling.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D