Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR's Launch Has Been "Staggering"

Comments

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Gajari

Shit, they expanded the early access from 5 days to 7 in order to get everyone in with everything working smoothly. From watching the streaming videos, you can tell there are lots of people around, and there is absolutely no lag. THAT is what a launch SHOULD be like, and that is what they are delivering.

The irony is, at the current rate, about everybody that preordered will be in by the end of the afternoon tomorrow, AKA the ORIGINAL first day of EGA.  Had they NOT done the two extra days, we'd be STARTING tomorrow and many people would only get in 2-3 days early.

But here it looks like EVERYONE that preordered will get the original, full 5 days of time.

Yet we have idiots screaming of being treated like a "2nd class citizen on the Titanic".

Pathetic.

It's nice to see some people can still think clearly on this forum. +1

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by Gajari

Shit, they expanded the early access from 5 days to 7 in order to get everyone in with everything working smoothly. From watching the streaming videos, you can tell there are lots of people around, and there is absolutely no lag. THAT is what a launch SHOULD be like, and that is what they are delivering.

The irony is, at the current rate, about everybody that preordered will be in by the end of the afternoon tomorrow, AKA the ORIGINAL first day of EGA.  Had they NOT done the two extra days, we'd be STARTING tomorrow and many people would only get in 2-3 days early.

But here it looks like EVERYONE that preordered will get the original, full 5 days of time.

Yet we have idiots screaming of being treated like a "2nd class citizen on the Titanic".

Pathetic.

Yeah, people from October are getting in now and that's already without a bonus wave. They encompassed two months and a few days in one day. Calm the f!ck down people.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

FFS !!!

I just saw an email in my inboxansd was like woooo has to be early access email.  Clicked on it and it was a link to this thread lol

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by kishe

If they had let everyone in at once, people would have complained of 8 hour queues and constant server crashes.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

8 hours queue?  Really?  Even if that is the case, 8 hours beats waiting 48+ hours of queues while your friends and guildies out level you?  Yeah makes total sense.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I think it was a nice change and i for one really enjoyed a stress free first day in a new MMO.

one argument against the staggered launch i do read quiet often is that ppls claim that it would give them problems if they cant start at the same time as there friends or family i personally can not understand that to be able to start at the same time would mean that there rl has to be identical sure i can understand that there are quiet a few who don't have a rl going on and therefore are able to log on as soon as they can and stay on till a maintenance will kick them out but is that really the majority?

I plan to play with my wife but even if she would have gotten in already as well couldn't we have started playing together at the same time work schedule are just not the same and we have other stuff going on as well and since we are at the topic of work does nobody for a sec think about the working ppls they cant log in in the morning regardless of there head start invite but at least this time they will be able to log in after work without having to wait for hrs in a queue (if they would have to wait they couldn't play since they have to work again the next day).

I guess what i am trying to say is that i don't think most ppls who are an active part in rl really do care about a day or 2 from the head start and the rest well they are prolly spoiled brats are something worse and who the hell gives a damn about them anyway....

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The staggered launch invites have 2 effects:

1. It ensures that the those people who ARE ingame get a smooth gameplay experience

2. It generates a massive amount of chatter on the internet, at school and in the workplace, which raises the SWTOR profile ever higher in the general public awareness. Onward the Hype Machine !

All this extra chatter about SWTOR is not about "server crashes, overpopulated zones, waiting hours in server queues, etc.", it's all about NOT GETTING INTO THE GAME YET !

So it has a generally positive effect. The thousands of people bitching because they CAN'T PLAY YET, just highlights how massive the demand is and how eager people are to play SWTOR. It will even drown out any negative comments by those that are ingame already, given that the % of players ingame is tiny compared to the waiting masses...

Win-Win for Bioware and EA !

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BarryManilow

Originally posted by kishe
    If they had let everyone in at once, people would have complained of 8 hour queues and constant server crashes.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

8 hours queue?  Really?  Even if that is the case, 8 hours beats waiting 48+ hours of queues while your friends and guildies out level you?  Yeah makes total sense.

If the level gap doesn't gradually close as you get to the max level, it means you're not playing as much as they are, or they are simply leveling faster than you. In which case you could start before them and the gap is going to show up anyway.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Khurg

Don't complain about light server loads until tomorrow evening 12/15. That was always the intial day of early access. These 2 days are a gift from Bioware. Merry Christmas for them !! A majority of the preorders (call it July thru October) should be invited by noon at 12/15. If you waited to preorder until after beta then tough luck

Because that devalues said customers money how? A pre-order is a pre-order wether it was placed the day they anounced they had the SW licence or 2 weeks before "head start".

I voted no; I consider it unfair that some can play, while their friends and others can not. There can't be many people that enjoy watching their friends enjoy a party, face pressed against the window waiting for your name to be called "at some point".

Let us not forget that those who bothered to pre-order did so because they are eager to play!

• PharkasPharkas Member Posts: 55

I think the staggered launch was a good idea. I just wish they would of let everyone know ahead of time that this was the plan. It may have stoped alot of the whinning.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

I hope there is no recognition system for people being the first to acomplish stuff in the game.  If there is then this system would seem a little biased and has a pay to win feel to it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Derros

there would be JUST as much rage happening if they let everyone in and had issues that you have stated.  Like someone else said, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

I think its more like,

damned if you do, damned if you don't - if you go and screw it up, either way.

They're already at Oct in the EGA line, and it's only the 14th. That says to me most if not all will be in by  friday. Which would be friday, sat, sun and mon, as days of early access. How have they screwed up?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

I cant wait to get in :D

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Distopia

there would be JUST as much rage happening if they let everyone in and had issues that you have stated.  Like someone else said, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

I think its more like,

They're already at Oct in the EGA line, and it's only the 14th. That says to me most if not all will be in by  friday. Which would be friday, sat, sun and mon, as days of early access. How have they screwed up?

Well, Mr. Sunny-Day-Real-Estate guy, you're clearly making too much sense.  There is no room for this kind of rational thought here today!

Originally posted by NMStudio

I think its more like,

Well, Mr. Sunny-Day-Real-Estate guy, you're clearly making too much sense.  There is no room for this kind of rational thought here today!

Damn and here I thought I banged my head against a wall long enough to fit in. :(

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Its a game, man. Its not even a PvP game, so any correlation to that which makes any point utilizing it (pvp) a moot one.  Just be appreciative that there is another quality game on the market and go with it.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Who gives a crap? Everyone is going to be max level in a week anyways. The whole "once in a lifetime world PvP" would only last for all of 15 minutes anyways. With queue times and what not, you could be waiting hours and hours before you log on. Server crashes could force you back out of the queue. You could never get in at all, if you were really unlucky.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters. From what I have played of the game, it is easy as hell. Everyone is going to max out in 2 weeks and quit the game because they finished all the content inside of 2 months. I mean, every MMO has done this pretty much for the past few years.

And I am not sure talking about "gamers" and this game makes much sense. Bioware has some of the worst gameplay of any developer, they always have. The story is awesome, but that is it. This game is no different, not to mention the story will end, the game will suck and everyone will be gone. Lol, there is going to be a MAJOR problem if the main draw of this game is the story.

I am still debating on getting this next year, but we'll see. I didn't enjoy the game very much and it wasn't really fun at all. SWG was at least 10 times better on release, at least it was a game first, and a story second, and not the other way around. The only reason I will is if friends are still enjoying it, but even then, I don't think it will hold my attention for very long. A month or 2 at the maximum.

I don't really get the point about complaining about game launches when the game is going to be finished in such a short time. WoW servers opening up and people flocking to them? Who cares when they level to max within a day or 2? I mean it is just silly. Not to mention all world PvP in every game is complete trash except for DAOC and WAR, "ganking noobs" isn't World PvP, sorry.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Not that I am playing SWTOR, but the staggered launch is a much better idea. It'll allow them to test stability as they go, and they'll also wind up getting a much better idea of how many servers they will wind up needing. Trion kept opening servers to combat queues, and wound up with dead servers in the end. Server merges, regardless of their intentions, are generally viewed negatively by the community.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I think its more like,

You could just read my first post in this thread, right on the first page, on how I think they screwed up.  And by screw up, I just mean that they pissed off a lot more of their customer base than they had to.  They could have been a bit more organized, communicated better, and I don't think there'd be nearly as much angst going around over it all.  Some, of course, but a lot of it could have been avoided.

Also, we won't really know how well they've done, until after its over.  If people still have to deal with queues on top of this, too, I'd say that'd be another significant screw up - but we'll see.  Their plan might be better on that front, I don't know.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

You could just read my first post in this thread, right on the first page, on how I think they screwed up.  And by screw up, I just mean that they pissed off a lot more of their customer base than they had to.  They could have been a bit more organized, communicated better, and I don't think there'd be nearly as much angst going around over it all.  Some, of course, but a lot of it could have been avoided.

Also, we won't really know how well they've done, until after its over.  If people still have to deal with queues on top of this, too, I'd say that'd be another significant screw up - but we'll see.  Their plan might be better on that front, I don't know.

I think that just goes back to what the other poster said though, damned if you do, damned if you don't. IMO I'd prefer people being pissed because they have to wait, over people being pissed the game is performing horribly.  At least all that the former shows is excitement because people are eager to play. We all know what people think when they see massive performance issues. Regardless of what causes them.

On the second part absolutley true, this is just headstart, the true test begins on the 20th.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250
    This has been the best launch experience that I have ever been apart of. No wait, everything running smooth, and no complaints. You may not ever like SWTOR as I do, but it doesnt get much better than this.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

I think that just goes back to what the other poster said though, damned if you do, damned if you don't. IMO I'd prefer people being pissed because they have to wait, over people being pissed the game is performing horribly.  At least all that the former shows is excitement because people are eager to play. We all know what people think when they see massive performance issues. Regardless of what causes them.

On the second part absolutley true, this is just headstart, the true test begins on the 20th.

Thats the point, how well it is will be known only after everyone gets access.

in scenario 1 when you let all people in, they are pissed off by queues, possible server craashes, etc

in scenario 2 when all people eventually get access, and if they still experience all effects of scenario 1 after they had to wait few days to gain access at all, you get bunch of people that are now a notch more pi**ed off then in scenario 1

So the jury is still out until its "staggered launch" is over.

Think first big test will be this weekend because most everyone should get access by then. So stock up on popcorns :)

All people who preorderd have to get access eventually and will hammer servers at the same time at that point.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

I wana know how many people they are really lettin through the flood gates, how "fast" those server's really are filling up. If it's as bad as to send "4 waves of people" a day, it most be comparable to WoW's playerbase, or their server's just suck.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Joshua69

I wana know how many people they are really lettin through the flood gates, how "fast" those server's really are filling up. If it's as bad as to send "4 waves of people" a day, it most be comparable to WoW's playerbase, or their server's just suck.

Strat here, backtrack to what dates got access yesterday and today and do your math.

Remember its US retail sales only, you can estimate Europe numbers by US/Europe number of servers and add certain percetage for digital sales :)

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/40888/USA/

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

One day a server will crash.  It's inevitable.  What will happen then?  Will they stagger us in queues?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by mikahr

Originally posted by Joshua69

Strat here, backtrack to what dates got access yesterday and today and do your math.

Remember its US retail sales only, you can estimate Europe numbers by US/Europe number of servers and add certain percetage for digital sales :)

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders/40888/USA/

Problem is, we don't know how many of those are actually logging in.  How many are casuals, who aren't chomping at the bit to get in?  Waiting until they have more time, the weekend, whatever.  How many of those are people that didn't like the beta enough, and canceled?  Or any number of other random reasons not every single person who preordered logs in ASAP.  

Could be Bioware doesn't know either, and that's why they're being so cautious.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.