Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Wait is (Sort Of) Over!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

With day one of Early Access behind us, this week's Star Wars: The Old Republic column looks back at the past 24 hours and even offers a farewell to one venerable Star Wars MMO.

In October 2008, BioWare teased the unveiling of Star Wars: The Old Republic by triumphantly announcing (along with a giant and now ironic graphic) that “THE WAIT IS OVER.” Oh, but it had only just begun. What’s more, with Early Access kicking off yesterday, many are still waiting (sometimes impatiently) for their golden ticket into the game.

Full disclosure: I got into the game yesterday in the first wave at 7AM. Take a moment to spew your hatred at me. It’s OK, I’ll wait.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Wait is (Sort Of) Over!

Comments

• edmarkleedmarkle Member Posts: 11

In on wave 3 of day 1 and luvin it !

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think Mike just needs to learn how to wait in line, I was in yesterday, though...

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Illyssia

I think Mike just needs to learn how to wait in line, I was in yesterday, though...

Huh? I got in first wave...

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

The Wait is never over. The End of one is just the beginning of another.

Oh and BTW. We're going to find your toons, kill them and corpse & spawnpoint camp them til 2015 on EVERY server.

Have a nice time in Early Access without us because we'll get in eventually.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Illyssia

Huh? I got in first wave...

Why not just title the story My wait is Over :-)

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

Why not just read the article?

• 0Cru00Cru0 Member Posts: 1

I have a question.  I Pre-Orderred this and bought the middle package but I didn't see on either of the three options if we received a free month with pre-order...do we still need to purchase game time?

• hey cool, I rolled on Jung Ma too image

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

I'm happy for you and a bit envious. Have to wait for late December to get a copy shipped to me in the Philippines.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• Originally posted by 0Cru0

I have a question.  I Pre-Orderred this and bought the middle package but I didn't see on either of the three options if we received a free month with pre-order...do we still need to purchase game time?

No. When you pre-order Star Wars: The Old Republic from Origin.com, you agree to the automatic purchase of your selected edition of the Game when it launches. When you pre-order the Game you will be charged an advance payment for the pre-order (cost varies by country and edition). This is the standard pre-order cost. When Star Wars: The Old Republic launches, your credit card will be charged for the full retail cost amount of your chosen edition, minus the initial pre-order advance payment. You will also be required to sign up for a subscription to Star Wars: The Old Republic, however you will not be billed during your first 30 days of gameplay, as that is included in the retail cost of the Game.

http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#q209657

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by victorbjr

I'm happy for you and a bit envious. Have to wait for late December to get a copy shipped to me in the Philippines.

Digital preorders are unavailable or are you looking at a Collector's Edition?

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

The community will never be fully happy with anything an MMO developer does, and I'm sure they know that and plan around that. In many ways I'm glad Bioware are doing things the way they want to for this launch. You're right when you say that the last thjing this new MMO needs is a bad launch that sticks in the memory. On the other hand I'm itching to get in and play the game I've been desperate to get back to since the November stress test.

I've got Skyrim though and, if I'm honest with you, I'm quite enjoying the buzz in the build up to this new game. Yes people can be negative and frustrating, but it's a new MMO, and a new MMO that has some legs. Good times are back...oh yes indeedy.

As long as I get to play by this weekend I'll be happy. I've got work anyway and I'm busy Friday. If I have to wait longer I'll get peeved, but it won't hamper my enjoyment of this new launch.

I just hope my two preferred names aren't taken.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by victorbjr

Digital preorders are unavailable or are you looking at a Collector's Edition?

Sorry for the late reply. As to your question, SWTOR pre-orders are also region-locked to the territories mentioned in the launch FAQ, as far as I know. My Origin doesn't even show SWTOR as anything purchaseable.

In any event, my local store is having X number of copies of SWTOR shipped from the US to the Philippines. I've got one reserved for me by the nice lady who manages the store I frequent. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Eh. What it boils down to is people feel left out. No one wants to be forced to wait in line while everyone else seems to be getting into the club. It makes them feel unimportant and trivial: both are emotions Bioware really has gone to great lengths to avoid making their players feel in game. It's a shame their approach out of game is compeltely 180.

Not saying their approach doesn't have merit on paper, but here I am, still waiting in line, trying to look around the big, fat bouncers shoulders while everyone else, it seems, gets to enjoy the party. I feel like the kid picked last in gym for the baseball game at recess.

Call it what you will: self-entitlement fit well... but no gaming company has ever made me feel so completely unimportant and trivial as Bioware has in these last 2 days, and that's including Blizzard who, for all their faults, has never kept me out in the cold for 7 years.

I'll see you all at launch. Hey, maybe if I'm lucky, a day or two sooner. I'm hardly anti-Bioware at this point, but let's just say my first impression of this MMO is that the company couldn't care less if I played or didn't. Not a great feeling to have right after their so-called "launch day."

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

I love the new industry motto. "All players are equal but some are more equal than others." It sure has worked well for them. Forcing players to purchase games before the NDAs are dropped and reviews are written.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I didn't know Mumm-Ra was in this IP...

• commando991commando991 Member Posts: 20

so far BW made SWTOR a fucken WOW clone inspace.

and the servers you can not switch to another server  if the one you started out on is full !

thats poorly done there.

and the skill refresh is the same as WOW game childish and poorly made.

the space combat system is something off from space invaders.

BW is failing as we speak, their support team does not answer phones or even emails and forum support to help the gamers.

they won't even answer the phone call at all, just 90% of the time put people on hold and they wait there on hold for over 6 to 9 hours.

and if your call is dropped thats another 6 to 9 hours on hold again.

the early accesses promise from BW for SWTOR is a scam and you won't get your full 5 days of early accesses at all.

the most 90% of the gamers is getting is 1 to 2 daysd.

and as for the ones thats already in their having issues with game crashing and the servers being full and can't login.

resolution resize is not working good either.

and loads of gamers complaining about major lag !!

so far this game is show that is not worth the high price BW is asking for at all.

it problalby be better to wait till GW2 comes out and play that game which is suppossed to be better then SWTOR and WOW And any other game thats out now.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Uh, yeah.  Anyway, back on topic.  The wait is indeed over, and so far I'm having a pretty damn good time. Thanks Bio.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by commando991

so far BW made SWTOR a fucken WOW clone inspace...etc...etc...

can't help but think this is a parody post.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

so far BW made SWTOR a fucken WOW clone inspace.

and the servers you can not switch to another server  if the one you started out on is full !

thats poorly done there.

and the skill refresh is the same as WOW game childish and poorly made.

the space combat system is something off from space invaders.

BW is failing as we speak, their support team does not answer phones or even emails and forum support to help the gamers. I would hate to be working in their customer service department. They are slammed with calls non-stop. You've probably never worked in one of these environments so you don't understand it.

they won't even answer the phone call at all, just 90% of the time put people on hold and they wait there on hold for over 6 to 9 hours. 6-9 hour hold time is just you being ridiculous. As is the rest of this post.

and if your call is dropped thats another 6 to 9 hours on hold again.

the early accesses promise from BW for SWTOR is a scam and you won't get your full 5 days of early accesses at all. You were never guaranteed 5 days of early access. From what i've read they said they were going to do it in waves for a long time now.

the most 90% of the gamers is getting is 1 to 2 daysd. Early access is early access.. what's your point? You're still getting in before the 20th which is the actual release date of the game.

and as for the ones thats already in their having issues with game crashing and the servers being full and can't login. It's day 1 - what do you expect. Thousands of people all in the same place will make a server have problems. This is nothing new and very expected.

resolution resize is not working good either. I find it hard to believe that you are unable to adjust your resolution. But I guess it's possible.

and loads of gamers complaining about major lag !! Then these people probably shouldn't have been invited on Day 1 if they didnt expect the lag.  Most people's video cards cant handle having a few hundred to a thousand players being in the same location all at once. Servers can have trouble with this too. Welcome to Day 1 Live.

so far this game is show that is not worth the high price BW is asking for at all. If you bought anything other than the standard edition and you weren't 100% sure you were going to be into this game, then you're a fool. Standard edition is the normal price of video games. Maybe you're new to the gaming scene, but I don't get this point at all.

it problalby be better to wait till GW2 comes out and play that game which is suppossed to be better then SWTOR and WOW And any other game thats out now.

[Mod Edit]

• OsirrusOsirrus Member Posts: 55

I got my email in the first wave at 2pm UK time today 14/12/11. but had to work today so it wasnt until 4 hours later i got in. 

just been in game for 6 hours. and almost releveled my beta character back to where he was at end of beta.

apart from a couple of laggy rooms in quest areas there has  been no problems for me.

lots of folks about on korriban, but i only had to wait for respawn once whilst waiting for a  person ahead of me

i do know a couple of US servers crashed yesterday ( not sure for how long)

but as far as i could tell no servers crashed tonight and only 4-6 had queues of a few mins across all servers

although it sucks not to be i game and playing from a personal poit of view.

from a massively multiplayer point of view the staggerd launch does seem to be working so far 

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

nice! the forum-fanboy-wars allready started have

• AnanamooseAnanamoose Member Posts: 118

so far BW made SWTOR a fucken WOW clone inspace...and a bunch of other stuff...

Have you played WoW lately? I have. Granted it was only to level 4 but that's about all I could take before I wanted to stab inanimate objects for no particular reason.

I was also in the Beta for SWTOR, briefly anyway..got to about level 5 before I decided the game wasn't for me and wasn't going to hold my interest.

So I know you can't really judge a game based on 4 levels but comparing the first 4 levels of each game, SWTOR is so much more highly polished than WoW...so much more..like astronomically more. Can you find where you are going to go for a quest in SWOTR? Of course you can. WoW? Ha! Good luck. The UI is way more polished and the VO is a nice touch. There are many other things that SWOTR does better than WoW as well, but it really isn't fair to compare a 7 year old game to a brand spanking new MMO either. (Not saying SWOTR doesn't have it's faults either, but I'll save that for some other time)

Is it WoW in space? no way, dude. I would have to say as far as themeparks go, SWOTR is a pretty well done game, at least for the first 4-6 levels. I didn't get much further cause I got bored..but then I was so used to playing GW that I didn't want to get too comfortable and have to make the switch back..so maybe it was more of that. Plus the bf wanted to play more heh.

All that being said, I am a GW2 fangirl...but I know not to knock a game that has some potential. It's great for people who want the traditonal themepark MMO experience..oh and Star Wars, of course. But it's just not for me :)

Back to the point I'm trying to make: some of you guys need to chill. And the GW2 fanbois and fangirls need to chill the heck out and stop trolling the SWTOR people. And the same goes for the SWTOR people. Stop trolling the GW2 people. You have your game, we have ours. Let's all just try to get along. We can agree to disagree but I wish people would stop with the WoW in space crap. it's really getting old guys. I know it's your "opinion" but it's annoying when I see this stated as "fact". It's not. You think it's WoW in space, but a lot of people, myself included, don't.

Do you want some cheese with that whine? :)

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Well havent read anyting in this tread besites the first op post ofc and the big green/white "discusion" above this (mine) post, was invited yesterday (also done a single beta weekend) and having a blast sofat, europian server, no lag, no resolution issue's  as good as no ?? why the fuck aint this working chat in game at all. few people having some fps issue's mostly indoors.

as said having a blast but sw:tor aint perfect (yet), its not as done as we all hoped it to be and they made some odd choices in gamedesign. exsalpe being technical bloom still dropping fps to much and sometiems act up resulting in weird light beam issue's or even ambient lights being in the compleet wrong spot (only on youre client) AA aint active yet and some setting are simply lacking or very hard to find in the options UI.

odd design choises are for me the very limeted choices your character has in creations while theres tons more possible if they removed the silly restriction. like a male twilek can be red, but a female twilek cant be.  a dark side zabrak is light brown -dark brown - red spectrum  but a light side zabrak only has human skin tones. all tatoos come in one color ..dark brown..

these kind of restriction I found all over the game sofar ,perhaps to give incentive to play more alts but  to me its stupid to restrict a player from "creative" characters they would like much more.

I got faith that in time they will resolve these things and it aint the most critical things anyway, the game runs smoot,the game is fun.. im happy.  whatever anyone else thinks on any forum ...I dont give a damn :P

make up youre own minds. never listen to forum reviews. (incl this mini one) since it all comes down personal opinions.

• SharookSharook Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by MrBoots

I love the new industry motto. "All players are equal but some are more equal than others." It sure has worked well for them. Forcing players to purchase games before the NDAs are dropped and reviews are written.

You confuse enforcement with giving incentives. It's your free choice.

This is the first MMO i preordered before having seen anything from it. Normally I am very strict about this and only buy if there is an open beta or a trial. But so far I have not regetted it by any means.

In the end it boils down to "lend the company your trust, that they will produce something that is worth your money, and they give you some small benefits in return" For them pre-orders gives some insurance about the outcome of their work. So it's a win-win.

One could have pre-ordered, attending the beta and in case of not liking cancelling the preorder. So there was not a huge risk here.

It's also safer for the company, since a guy who preorders is probably a fan anyway (or at least has some trust in them) and thus might be more forgiving for smaller nuisances and not downright damn the game to hell in all forums that are in the internet. This gives them some more time to remove problems. So the pre-launch is like the final rehearsal for the full launch.

Let's compare this  to the launch of Age of Conan: This title also had early access (but you had to pay extra for this, mind you), a hype of biblic proportions prior to release and then created a huge (and deserved) outrage because of the sh1tload of bugs, problems, false promises, missing features down to false feature descriptions on the game box. But it was labeled "one of the smoothest launches in MMORPG" history by the producer.

Compared to this SWTOR and its launch (so far) is not AAA, it's AAAAAA+, not the slightest lag, no crashes, no waiting queues, no performance issues on my 3.5y old computer (playing 1920x1200, max details) - you just go in and play. This is the FIRST MMO, where I experience this (wootwoot: innovation!1!). Same for all my guildmates.

It's clear to me, that my trust in BW's professionalism was justified 100% opposed to all other companies whose games I played so far...