Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is this different then sitting in a queue?

Comments

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

The difference is, you're not supposed to be sitting and waiting for the email, like you have to sit and wait for the queue.  Your choice to to waste your life and F5 key wating for an invite is YOUR OWN, not theirs.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by mikahr

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by Puremallace

Well to the people saying the fighting over a mob thing. Well isn't that exactly what a queue is there to do? 

No.  When you have a queue, it indicates that your server is FULL---the maximum amount of people are running around in the zone.  Therefore, questing becomes extremely frustrating due to all the tagging of mobs.  When the population is staggered, then you have a less-than-maximum amount of people spread throughout the zones.  

Also, I'm not sure when you played beta, or how long ago it was, but your thoughts on mob placement aren't anything close to what I experienced in the two weekends I played, which were both within the last month and a half.   

And that would not matter to you since you will still see same amount of people since zones are instanced and new zone instance openes when number of players in zone reaches predetermined number.

Have you even played the game so far?

How many shards are they using in the new zones?  And yes, it would still matter, as even full shards would be frustrating to deal with.  Do you think their shards are only going to contain 10 people or so?  There will still be fighting for mobs.  

I'm not sure what your question is implying, but I am still waiting to get into the game, but I've had two beta weekends, and the first one was pretty ugly in terms of mob tagging, shard or not.  And that wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of people logging in as it would if they just opened the floodgates for early access.  

Instances will be full whether there are 600 or 3000 players. In first case there would be 3 instances in second 15 (if the magic number is 200). In any case you would be dealing with 199 other people.

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Because this is a bonus! Or such.

Everyone will be playing soon enough. 6 months from now is when the real gripes will pour in.

Nothing makes people complain more than a bonus that they aren't receiving.

I keep thinking about the original opening date (12/22) and how much better off everyone is that it's available much sooner.

I think about the two extra days added to the beginning of early entry (which means effectively that everyone, even later preorders, get in two days earlier), and how ungrateful the recipients seem to be for it.

Developers have to be really thick skinned.  This is also the reason why they are so reluctant to make changes to a game based on forum chatter.  There are people who simply cannot be pleased and will find anything they can to complain about.  BioWare is doing what they can to ensure the absolutely best launch experience for the largest number of people. 

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

There is no appeasing people. Best just ignore the whining....its not Biowares fault that you people have absolutly nothing meaningful in your life other then sitting at your computer waiting to get into a GAME.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by PukeBucket
    Because this is a bonus! Or such.
    Everyone will be playing soon enough. 6 months from now is when the real gripes will pour in.
    Nothing makes people complain more than a bonus that they aren't receiving.
    I keep thinking about the original opening date (12/22) and how much better off everyone is that it's available much sooner.
    I think about the two extra days added to the beginning of early entry (which means effectively that everyone, even later preorders, get in two days earlier), and how ungrateful the recipients seem to be for it.

Well in all honesty it is just a clever way to allow the servers time to be adjusted. Rather than having the protocols slammed with a global onslaught of connections.

Then again the unholy hybrid of Star Wars nerd with MMO fanatic is going to make for some interesting rants yet to be seen.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Actually the big difference is that in queue games, no matter how clogged the game is, you have the choice to log on at 3am.  I do not remember any game where the queue continued to be over 2 hours at 3am. 

The other big difference is an email can be lost.  I remember one game that I was interested in that I got into a later beta and I found out when I started that I could have been playing all along (that I had gotten into an earlier beta) and somehow the email didnt get through.

If I were going to queue to queue I would have something on the website where you can choose oddball times if you want to avoid the process.  IE if you choose 3am or 6am on the 2nd day of the beta you can but you wouldnt have the random chance of getting in earlier.

Originally posted by Nethermancer

There is no appeasing people. Best just ignore the whining....its not Biowares fault that you people have absolutly nothing meaningful in your life other then sitting at your computer waiting to get into a GAME.

Its not my fault that theres world crisis going on, so business is so slow that i have a lot of time to spend on meaningless things ;P

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Really? What is your evidence that for late preorders it will be anything different whether it started on 13th/15th or even 17th?

Math.  Even assuming the worst-possile-case scenario (that all EE's are now spread across all seven days instead of the five (as advertised)), the last-trickle people are still bettter off.

Consider; 1M divided by 5, average 200k per day.  1M divided by 7, 142k+ per day.  Even in the worst possible case scenario, 116k people saw at least some benefit from the extra two days.

Best case, everyone's in by the end of day 5, and everyone gets two extra days of play time.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by centkin
    Actually the big difference is that in queue games, no matter how clogged the game is, you have the choice to log on at 3am.  I do not remember any game where the queue continued to be over 2 hours at 3am. 
    The other big difference is an email can be lost.  I remember one game that I was interested in that I got into a later beta and I found out when I started that I could have been playing all along (that I had gotten into an earlier beta) and somehow the email didnt get through.
    If I were going to queue to queue I would have something on the website where you can choose oddball times if you want to avoid the process.  IE if you choose 3am or 6am on the 2nd day of the beta you can but you wouldnt have the random chance of getting in earlier.

See there's a solution right there. 3 am

Originally posted by Robsolf

The difference is, you're not supposed to be sitting and waiting for the email, like you have to sit and wait for the queue.  Your choice to to waste your life and F5 key wating for an invite is YOUR OWN, not theirs.

Plus you could have just pre-orderded on day one and not have to wait at all.  Queues would take away the incentive to get your pre-order in qiuckly.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I got 2 days sooner then I thought I'd get, considering I was in the first batch sent out at 7:00am EST yesterday. So I'm really happy with the head start system.

You know why?

Because I pre-ordered and registered my code in like the first hour it was available.

Weren't as smart as me?

GET OVER IT

Originally posted by BadSpock
    I got 2 days sooner then I thought I'd get, considering I was in the first batch sent out at 7:00am EST yesterday. So I'm really happy with the head start system.
    You know why?

Because I pre-ordered and registered my code in like the first hour it was available.

Weren't as smart as me?
    GET OVER IT

That also seconds as his best pick up line.

Really? What is your evidence that for late preorders it will be anything different whether it started on 13th/15th or even 17th?

Math.  Even assuming the worst-possile-case scenario (that all EE's are now spread across all seven days instead of the five (as advertised)), the last-trickle people are still bettter off.

Consider; 1M divided by 5, average 200k per day.  1M divided by 7, 142k+ per day.  Even in the worst possible case scenario, 116k people saw at least some benefit from the extra two days.

Best case, everyone's in by the end of day 5, and everyone gets two extra days of play time.

You see, it can go both ways so infact it could benefit all of early predordes and small amount of late preordes.

You have no evidence at this point except only people who benefited from this at this point are those who preordered early.

It remains to be seen what happens. But what you cannot claim is that late predrdes benefited at all.

You see, it can go both ways so infact it could benefit all of early predordes and small amount of late preordes.

You have no evidence at this point except only people who benefited from this at this point are those who preordered early.

It remains to be seen what happens. But what you cannot claim is that late predrdes benefited at all.

Don't early pre-orders deserve the best benefit?  Isn't that the kind of thing that would encourage people to pre-order?  And isn't this exactly what they said would happen from the beginning?

Originally posted by NMStudio

Don't early pre-orders deserve the best benefit?  Isn't that the kind of thing that would encourage people to pre-order?  And isn't this exactly what they said would happen from the beginning?

Uhuh, you might read the disussion because someone claimed late preordes benefit from this. Which at this point is just a line without any evidence. I dont judge, but people should not just say things that at this time might be total BS. I also think late preorders will benefit, i just dont state it as fact until it - becomes fact - or not.

No way, man!  Just like, if a movie gets sold out, people should still be able to buy tickets for the same time, and who gets to go in should be randomly selected!  image

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

This isn't about sitting in a queue. This is about getting people in and spread out in the world without a lot of fun-decreasing waiting for spawns, hundreds of people in the same zone, etc.

Get everyone spread out a bit at a time and it's a much smoother way to play. People need to stop comparing this to other launches, because this is one of the only ones that have been done right. Queues and server crashes at launch should be a thing of the past at this point, and BW knows what they're doing, despite the impatient, immature outcry from the people on this site, and such.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by Gajari

This isn't about sitting in a queue. This is about getting people in and spread out in the world without a lot of fun-decreasing waiting for spawns, hundreds of people in the same zone, etc.

Get everyone spread out a bit at a time and it's a much smoother way to play. People need to stop comparing this to other launches, because this is one of the only ones that have been done right. Queues and server crashes at launch should be a thing of the past at this point, and BW knows what they're doing, despite the impatient, immature outcry from the people on this site, and such.

Seriously, what part of the zones are instanced don't people that spew this innaccurate crap get?

Let me say it again, the zones are INSTANCED.  When one gets filled to a predetermined number, a new one opens up.  They designed it that way specifically to avoid what you claim will happen if they let more people in.  So that argument is moot.

Just let the flood gates open and let people sit in queues.  At least they'd have an idea of where they stand rather than the "queue" system in place now that's irritating people to the extreme.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

No way, man!  Just like, if a movie gets sold out, people should still be able to buy tickets for the same time, and who gets to go in should be randomly selected!  image

Except SWTOR is not sold out and theres a bouncer on the entrance saying you cant get in until random time even if half of theatre is empty and you have your ticket ;)

AFAIK everyone that buys ticket for a movie gets in at same time, at least in civilized countries ;)

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I have to say, it is kind of nice not sweating with the release of the game. I pre-order most games to get early access and do all that jazz usually, but didn't with this. If I do end up getting the game, I will probably enjoy it more later than I would now.

As far as how they released the EGA and the game itself, every company does it. I am honestly just surprised the EA/Bioware didn't 100% fail on launch, as their track record is bad, and they haven't done it before. Then again, it is just a matter of time until release day, they may need to have those fire extinguishers on hand when those login servers start really getting hammered.

We'll see, but from what my friends have said, it has been pretty smooth.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

People always have to split those hairs, it's not about those waiting. It's about those who are actually playing. Yes they aren't sitting in queues. They're also not experiencing ( I'd assume) server lag, overcrowded zones, server crashes, login fails, login time outs, login crashes, etc... The common problems most MMO launches have seen.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Except SWTOR is not sold out and theres a bouncer on the entrance saying you cant get in until random time even if half of theatre is empty and you have your ticket ;)

AFAIK everyone that buys ticket for a movie gets in at same time, at least in civilized countries ;)

Nooooope.

If a movie is sold out, you have to buy tix FOR A LATER TIME.  And those who wait in line the longest GET THE BEST SEATS.  First Come, First Served.  It's not like the concept just popped up yesterday.

Nooooope.

If a movie is sold out, you have to buy tix FOR A LATER TIME.  And those who wait in line the longest GET THE BEST SEATS.  First Come, First Served.  It's not like the concept just popped up yesterday.

Yeeeeeeeeeees.

Can you provide evidence, any evidence, that SWTOR is sold out? I can still preorder if i want to.

Those who stand in line the longest get seats they want. They have no priority whatsoever when it comes to actually entering the theatre, and everyone that bought ticket can watch the movie exactly the same as anyone else.

Have you EVER missed half of the movie just because someone bought ticket before you? Have you EVER been stopped at the entrance to theatre just because someone bought ticket before you?

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

I thought it was a good idea, but today everyone would be playing and not waiting. It's only the first 24 hours which are explosive, the whole point of being there on launch day, then later tell stories and sing songs of your experience.

Now the stories are i waited for an email, woo...

Actually this reminds me of when i take the youngest to kindergarten sometimes, they all line  up, patiently eagerly waiting their turn to be signaled to walk into the school, a pat on the head and told to behave.

Yeah real epic launch day stories. lol

Must be me, i just feel like Bioware is to neat and tidy, afraid to step out of line, and are going to end up sucking the living fun right of this game.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Because you can go on with your regular life if you have one... Sitting around waiting for a que or an email = silly.

I got my email when I woke up yesterday morning, went to work, had dinner with the family and then had 4hrs of  very enjoyable, quality play time with SWTOR.

Very smooth and problem free, you can tell when someones got their shit together. Two thumbs up for Bioware

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee