Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR already in 2nd place for subs

Comments

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Might end up second, probably not until it actually has a full global release though.

Subscription wise.. it will definitely be WoW, Aion, SWTOR in the top three, but Aion has the advantage of being available in Asia where it has nearly 2.5mil subs.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by fony

so did Warhammer Online. 

Not to mention Rift, prolly AoC, and so will most likely TSW, possibley TERA depending on how well asian art style is recieved out in the West, and ArcheAge.

To the topic at hand, any new MMO will pop up second as every swinging dick is trying the game out, the real question is how long will it last as all the above MMOs had a massive drop in subs a few months after.  So will SWTOR but perhaps not as badly, especially with the list of upcoming MMOs coming up.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i'm sorry gw always came off as a poor mans wow. they only got their popularity because they didn't want to nickle and dime people.  The simple fact is with the star wars ip behind it this game has longevity. it doesn't matter if you love or hate it or themeparks or whatever. It's gonna be the lasy long term popular subscription mmo. unfrotunately for people who don't really follow the industry f2p and social games have hurt the market ALOT....the recession is starting to hit the gaming industry and alot of bad things are coming.

so say we all

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Why is anyone here even talking about Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2?

The OP said subs, subscriptions, GW & GW2 don't have subscriptions! :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by cylon8
    The simple fact is with the star wars ip behind it this game has longevity.

Damn right. Just look at SWG!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by tom_gore

Its not your fathers star wars though.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

At least swg was star wars.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by nerovipus32

You mean for the first year, right?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by biggarfoot

I'm expecting this to be one of the biggest launches in history if not the biggest, and i'm expecting GW2 to surpass this even.

I seriously doubt that. Mainly because GW2 is completely unknown outside of MMORPG circles.

• noxielnoxiel Member Posts: 48

I hope it don't turn into WAR, but I think is coming and coming fast. Many servers are full, and full of competitive shit eating full of it players. 

There is a rush leveling goin on at the moment and I predict low players will stay playing after a month. A good MMO is not for a quick leveling rush. A good MMO don't start at end game.

I hate WoW, because of its comunity not the game, and I remember how inmerse the game was when playing through low levels and as one went on it became awsome until endgame. If WoW classic did it why change the recepie at this new MMO. And I played bet and currently playing TOR.

I hope wiht all my heart I'm wrong, but I think this will be WAR or Rift at the end.

Originally posted by Benthon

star wars without darth vader is like batman without batman for me.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of any of the lore before and after Darth Vader then. It's a personal preference, but one that is clearly not shared among millions of others.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

who really cares about subs...especially when they dont exists yet ! lol. just play then like it or leave it. to be honest i dont like over populated areas. :D

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Toodles

Originally posted by Praetalus

I'm expecting this to be one of the biggest launches in history if not the biggest, and i'm expecting GW2 to surpass this even.

I would really love to see what all you guys see with GW2... but I just don't. 

As to the OP - Aion was at 3.5 million or so last I checked. 

Aion was done by NCSoft. NCSoft tradtionally carries the asian heavy games. The NA/Euro populations in Aion are miniscule.

It's still a MMORPG and it still has a massive amount of active subs, not pre-orders.

Moving the goal-post when the facts don't support your agenda is not only extremely obvious, it's rather disingenuous.

The OP does not specify "The Western Market" or "The EU/US Market" at all in their post. You don't get to just disregard an entire region of the world because it's getting in the way of your favorite MMO "winning" some "which game is bigger and better" forum contest.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of any of the lore before and after Darth Vader then. It's a personal preference, but one that is clearly not shared among millions of others.

I like the lore but it's just not star wars for me, star wars (and i hate to use this word) is iconic and when you take away what makes it iconic  it no longer feels like star wars.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Explain to me how inherently the franchise gives longetivity? It is like saying everything Star Trek is good just because it is Star Trek, which is not the case because there have been tons of Star Trek games that were just pure garbage.

I like the lore but it's just not star wars for me, star wars (and i hate to use this word) is iconic and when you take away what makes it iconic  it no longer feels like star wars.

What makes Star Wars iconic to you and what makes it iconic to me is different then. The space setting, galactic struggle and mysterious Force usage make it iconic for me.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by Xondar123

I seriously doubt that. Mainly because GW2 is completely unknown outside of MMORPG circles.

If it came out tomorrow then sure, but there's zero point in doing a major advertising campaign for a game which doesn't even have a release date or is not yet into beta. Best bet is focus the funds on development and just let the hype train slowly gain speed through word of mouth.

You can bet that Arenanet (or NCsoft) will advertise the heck out of this game once they are comfortable enough to say "Right, the game will release on xx/xx/xx".

At that point, I would expect the number of people who know about GW2 to increase dramatically.

GW 2 will probably sell more than SW:TOR but not because of the IP but because one requires subscription and the other one is, most likely, P2P. So you are really comparing apples to oranges.

It would be like comparing the sales of Skyrim, which is of the charts, to SW:TOR.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

BY now everybody should know that pre-orders as well as sales means nothing. It's all retention that counts.

So, if you wanna talk numbers, don't start until 30 days after release the earlierst.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by fony

so did Warhammer Online. 

This

Originally posted by VoIgore

BY now everybody should know that pre-orders as well as sales means nothing. It's all retention that counts.

So, if you wanna talk numbers, don't start until 30 days after release the earlierst.

January 20th is the day we're all waiting for.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Chieftan

Well I'm guessing but lol they've already surpassed the pops of other established MMOs in 2 hours.

Ew,  ew let me post this. Let me post this.. Oh man...

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Compare SWTOR's current hype to the hype of games already released. Another game is entering the sea, have fun wading the tides.