Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guess that "Work" Arguement didn't quite pan out...

1356

Comments

  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon

    I'll just leave this here...

    unless we forget...

     

    image
  • sanosukexsanosukex Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,836Member

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Laughing-man


    Originally posted by DexterMMO


    Originally posted by Laughing-man


    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    http://www.swtor.com/server-status

    I'm curious if the actual login's have the same info or if they collect data differently.

    People have been saying the server status page is the total pop and the game login screen is the starter area pop.

     

    All the servers were full earlier... this even has the crashed server and 2 servers with a heavy load... it's very accurate. Yes it is total server pop because most players moved beyond the starter choke point. I doubt 95% of players decided to log out for a 3 hour dinner all at the same time..

    I'm confused then, if its the total server population, and they were full earlier, and your saying that everyone didn't log out to eat dinner at the same time, why did the server pops drop?

     I explained this like ... 5-6 times... this is an old server tech dating back to EQ... games like Rift have a cap on load for their starter zone as fighting with thousands of people for starter mobs would be a shit fest. When the majority of players were in the starter 10 levels it gave a inflated load to keep from over packing it... as they move deeper into the game it free's up the server load.

    believe thats number 7 now

  • VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 2,588Member Uncommon

    Every single EU server at light load. The load is not going to get any heavier during the night and work day. Bioware won't be doing any more invites for 12 hours.

    I feel they are taking it way too carefully for EU players.

  • sanosukexsanosukex Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,836Member

    Originally posted by Teala

    I'll just leave this here...

    unless we forget...

     

    they could up up another 4 waves right now and maybe get 30 min que times on some servers

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Laughing-man


    Originally posted by DexterMMO


    Originally posted by Laughing-man


    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    http://www.swtor.com/server-status

    I'm curious if the actual login's have the same info or if they collect data differently.

    People have been saying the server status page is the total pop and the game login screen is the starter area pop.

     

    All the servers were full earlier... this even has the crashed server and 2 servers with a heavy load... it's very accurate. Yes it is total server pop because most players moved beyond the starter choke point. I doubt 95% of players decided to log out for a 3 hour dinner all at the same time..

    I'm confused then, if its the total server population, and they were full earlier, and your saying that everyone didn't log out to eat dinner at the same time, why did the server pops drop?

     I explained this like ... 5-6 times... this is an old server tech dating back to EQ... games like Rift have a cap on load for their starter zone as fighting with thousands of people for starter mobs would be a shit fest. When the majority of players were in the starter 10 levels it gave a inflated load to keep from over packing it... as they move deeper into the game it free's up the server load.

    So what you are saying is though they are representative of the total server population people moving from the starter areas to the later game areas would effect the amount of people?   So the same amount of people taxes the server differently? 

    I thought they had solved that issue by structuring the physical cpu servers so that multiple ones housed a single game server.

    Or does it rededicate more resources to maintaining the begining areas to compensate until people are spread out more?

     

    Edit: I've read your explanations, I still do not under stand how they can represent total server population if they change based off how many people are in the starter areas unless it fills based on the server resources being overly taxed in one specific area.  Which I guess would make sense, but then its not really indicative of the total server population so much as its saying how "Taxed" the server is currently, or how much stress its under, not the actual population.

  • jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member

    Just checked server status myself... 2 heavy, almost all at standard, with a few light for US... All Europe servers are at light, probably cause it's early morning there.

  • DexterMMODexterMMO Houston, TXPosts: 484Member

    Originally posted by Teala

    I'll just leave this here...

    unless we forget...

     

     I'd love a 58 minute queue over a possible 3-4 day wait.

    Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

  • C1d0sC1d0s Marshall, TXPosts: 238Member

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Teala

    I'll just leave this here...

    unless we forget...

     

     I'd love a 58 minute queue over a possible 3-4 day wait.

    You and me both.

    image
  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Teala

    I'll just leave this here...

    unless we forget...

     

     I'd love a 58 minute queue over a possible 3-4 day wait.

    The game officially isn't suppose to launch until the 20th.   I think it is awesome that Bioware decided to  allow for early access.   I also believe they are playing it smart, I know it is frustrating as hell not being able to play, trust me I have sat through my share of launches and I sympathize with everyone that is excited but OMG...stay excited!  Your game is launching.  The wait is over!  SW:ToR is here!  Whether you get in today, or tomorrow or the next...your wait is over...how fricking cool is that!!!

    image
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILPosts: 1,710Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by sanosukex


    Originally posted by DexterMMO


    Originally posted by Laughing-man


    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    http://www.swtor.com/server-status

    I'm curious if the actual login's have the same info or if they collect data differently.

    People have been saying the server status page is the total pop and the game login screen is the starter area pop.

     

    All the servers were full earlier... this even has the crashed server and 2 servers with a heavy load... it's very accurate. Yes it is total server pop because most players moved beyond the starter choke point. I doubt 95% of players decided to log out for a 3 hour dinner all at the same time..

    or they all hated the game so much so many got bored and quit:P pretty sure your explaination is more correct

     yup pick your poison... either I'm right and BW douche bagged it up by not understanding how servers work or this game is an epic fail and 90% of the players already quit.

    So, your idea is that, this game which cost millions of dollars, and probably some very experienced programers and hardware guys doesn't understand servers OR the game is epic fail.  Doesn't pass the common sense test.  You've been spending a lot of capital on this thread in critizing, and it seems like you're trying a bit too hard.

    Since none of us are on the inside, its mere speculation for speculations sake (and sowing the seeds of distrust) and all for naught.  Why do you care what the initial server populations are.  They are phasing in the players, so to expect everything to be maxed out is a bit naive.  Just enjoy it (If you have any intention of it)

     

    Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

  • natuxatunatuxatu Denver, COPosts: 1,371Member

    Me too.. but the game tech doesn't launch till the 20th. I think they are being pretty cool and smart about everything. Its not just the servers they said. They also want to give people a chance to explore and level a little before letting more people in.

    If we all logged in at the same time.. even without a queue it'd still be way crowded. giving them some time to explore and move out of the starting area so we can come in is pretty cool IMO.

    But of course deep down i want to play lol. hopefully i get in tomorrow.. i preordered it awhile ago.

    image

  • DexterMMODexterMMO Houston, TXPosts: 484Member

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    So what you are saying is though they are representative of the total server population people moving from the starter areas to the later game areas would effect the amount of people?   So the same amount of people taxes the server differently? 

    I thought they had solved that issue by structuring the physical cpu servers so that multiple ones housed a single game server.

    Or does it rededicate more resources to maintaining the begining areas to compensate until people are spread out more?

     Are you trolling me? Lets say a server has a 3k max population (Faction based) 1.5k per side the start zones in every game are tiny compared to the game itself... end game you have 3k people running about across the game world or doing instances... so they are spread out. As a protective measure most theme park game servers protect the populace from crashing by limiting the amount of people that can be in the "Starter" area of a game world due to how small it is, linear it is. So earlier it represented the "Starter" load. As players moved beyond the starter zone the server load began to go down because the actual server can support more than say ... 500 people. Now basically Bioware could let 500 x 130+ servers into the game and it would go back up to Full.

    Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

  • BarryManilowBarryManilow Pasadena, DEPosts: 707Member

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Teala

    I'll just leave this here...

    unless we forget...

     

     I'd love a 58 minute queue over a possible 3-4 day wait.

    Totally.

  • EduardoASGEduardoASG AzoresPosts: 832Member

    the system is completly dumb.

    when a game launches, mmo type, everyone needs to be on the same ground so they create the names they want to / reserve a few for alts and so on and on.

    furthermore, for a pvp server is important who goes ahead.. hell even for pve is in some sense.

    giving acess to only a part of the players to start the game earlier, using the date when the game was bought as a way to line up the players while every one of them has paid the same price and bought the same product, is completly retarded.

    ~ D R A G 0 N . S L A Y E R S ~ Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

  • DexterMMODexterMMO Houston, TXPosts: 484Member

    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

    So, your idea is that, this game which cost millions of dollars, and probably some very experienced programers and hardware guys doesn't understand servers OR the game is epic fail.  Doesn't pass the common sense test.  You've been spending a lot of capital on this thread in critizing, and it seems like you're trying a bit too hard.

    Since none of us are on the inside, its mere speculation for speculations sake (and sowing the seeds of distrust) and all for naught.  Why do you care what the initial server populations are.  They are phasing in the players, so to expect everything to be maxed out is a bit naive.  Just enjoy it (If you have any intention of it)

     

     You can get mad if you want... I'm right. You don't have to believe me or even accept it... you can assume that 90% of all players said screw this game and logged out if you want. I don't care... I'm right...

    Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

  • natuxatunatuxatu Denver, COPosts: 1,371Member

    cry some more. at the end of the day when all is said and done. none of this will matter. so get over it.

    image

  • DexterMMODexterMMO Houston, TXPosts: 484Member

    Originally posted by natuxatu

    cry some more. at the end of the day when all is said and done. none of this will matter. so get over it.

     cry more about me crying at the end of the day when all is said and done. none of your input or crying about my crying will matter. so get over it.

    Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    So what you are saying is though they are representative of the total server population people moving from the starter areas to the later game areas would effect the amount of people?   So the same amount of people taxes the server differently? 

    I thought they had solved that issue by structuring the physical cpu servers so that multiple ones housed a single game server.

    Or does it rededicate more resources to maintaining the begining areas to compensate until people are spread out more?

     Are you trolling me? Lets say a server has a 3k max population (Faction based) 1.5k per side the start zones in every game are tiny compared to the game itself... end game you have 3k people running about across the game world or doing instances... so they are spread out. As a protective measure most theme park game servers protect the populace from crashing by limiting the amount of people that can be in the "Starter" area of a game world due to how small it is, linear it is. So earlier it represented the "Starter" load. As players moved beyond the starter zone the server load began to go down because the actual server can support more than say ... 500 people. Now basically Bioware could let 500 x 130+ servers into the game and it would go back up to Full.

    I don't see any way this could be trolling... Unless answering legitamate questions some how angers you, in that case I'm concerned for your health man...

     

    So again, my point is that they are not represenative of the total server population, they are in fact represenative of the server "load" which is weighted for the starter zones CPU servers, due to protect from critical system failure and crashing etc.

    Thank you for explaining.

  • DexterMMODexterMMO Houston, TXPosts: 484Member

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by Laughing-man

    So what you are saying is though they are representative of the total server population people moving from the starter areas to the later game areas would effect the amount of people?   So the same amount of people taxes the server differently? 

    I thought they had solved that issue by structuring the physical cpu servers so that multiple ones housed a single game server.

    Or does it rededicate more resources to maintaining the begining areas to compensate until people are spread out more?

     Are you trolling me? Lets say a server has a 3k max population (Faction based) 1.5k per side the start zones in every game are tiny compared to the game itself... end game you have 3k people running about across the game world or doing instances... so they are spread out. As a protective measure most theme park game servers protect the populace from crashing by limiting the amount of people that can be in the "Starter" area of a game world due to how small it is, linear it is. So earlier it represented the "Starter" load. As players moved beyond the starter zone the server load began to go down because the actual server can support more than say ... 500 people. Now basically Bioware could let 500 x 130+ servers into the game and it would go back up to Full.

    I don't see any way this could be trolling... Unless answering legitamate questions some how angers you, in that case I'm concerned for your health man...

     I asked if you're trolling because i've already explained this. Well at least I felt I had. Maybe I didn't word it right.

    Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

  • dubyahitedubyahite Lincoln, NEPosts: 2,483Member
    So much rage. Isn't patience one of the earliest things we try to teach our children? Sharing, patience, taking turns, not throwing a fit when thugs don't go their way.

    These are all basic concepts that our parents teach us before we get into school even. We should remember that and settle the crap down. In a few short days (which is nothing compared to the amount of time we will sink into these games) we will all be playing the game.

    We have been told over and over again how this staggered launch was going to work, from the very beginning. If you didn't like it, why did you preorder? Did you really think you were going to get in on the first day if you didn't order right away?

    You will get your turn. Until then, live your life.


    dont panic! It's going to be OKAY!

    Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

    The Secret World - Dragons

    Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

    Tera - Dragonfall Server

    http://www.shadowshand.com

  • QuesaQuesa Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,246Member

    Never have I seen a bigger flash-flood of tears.

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

     I asked if you're trolling because i've already explained this. Well at least I felt I had. Maybe I didn't word it right.

    Sorry if it came off that way, I just was a tad confused because different folks keep claiming different things on how the server load status is handled.  What you are saying makes absolute sense.

  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Quesa

    Never have I seen a bigger flash-flood of tears.

    Google FFXIV.

    Nuff said.

     

  • DexterMMODexterMMO Houston, TXPosts: 484Member

    Originally posted by dubyahite

    So much rage. Isn't patience one of the earliest things we try to teach our children? Sharing, patience, taking turns, not throwing a fit when thugs don't go their way.



    These are all basic concepts that our parents teach us before we get into school even. We should remember that and settle the crap down. In a few short days (which is nothing compared to the amount of time we will sink into these games) we will all be playing the game.



    We have been told over and over again how this staggered launch was going to work, from the very beginning. If you didn't like it, why did you preorder? Did you really think you were going to get in on the first day if you didn't order right away?



    You will get your turn. Until then, live your life.





    dont panic! It's going to be OKAY!

     Actually most parents don't teach their kids anything, they expect T.V., Internet and school to do it for them. Thats another discussion though. It's my right as a paying customer to point out that a company made a mistake and the only part that bothers me in a way that makes me a little angry is the cheaters who won't face any punishment for exploiting the low population for free 5-10k experience every couple minutes by queueing pvp mini games.

    The low population that would be avoided... if Bioware actually understood their servers instead of taking the day off after seeing them "Full" at 2PM when they are basically Empty at prime time.

    Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILPosts: 1,710Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by DexterMMO

    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

    So, your idea is that, this game which cost millions of dollars, and probably some very experienced programers and hardware guys doesn't understand servers OR the game is epic fail.  Doesn't pass the common sense test.  You've been spending a lot of capital on this thread in critizing, and it seems like you're trying a bit too hard.

    Since none of us are on the inside, its mere speculation for speculations sake (and sowing the seeds of distrust) and all for naught.  Why do you care what the initial server populations are.  They are phasing in the players, so to expect everything to be maxed out is a bit naive.  Just enjoy it (If you have any intention of it)

     

     You can get mad if you want... I'm right. You don't have to believe me or even accept it... you can assume that 90% of all players said screw this game and logged out if you want. I don't care... I'm right...

    Mad I am not.  Perplexed probably.

    Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

Sign In or Register to comment.