Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVPer's thoughts

TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430

I'm curious as to what other PVPers think about such a large release gap between Early Access and "Launch?"

I originally planned on playing on a PVP server but with a 7 day head start... that is a MASSIVE difference between legitimate open world PVP battles and constant gankage. By the time it is launch day most people starting on the 13th will be level 50 already and probably be decently geared.

I almost decided to not play at all but I'm way to bored so I don't think that is an option. I might just switch to a PVE server and just do BGs and the end-game open-world pvp (that does exist right? i don't follow that closely).

So, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

I have always played pvp servers in th past in every game I have played but finnaly in rift I decided after leveling 2 characters to 50 on pvp to switch to pve. PVE is the way to go no question.. especially in this game with a world dedicated to pvp.. Honestly unless you are the kind of person who likes to grieve kill people 20 levels under you there really is no point. In rift 90% of the open world pvp was either people griefing low levels or was a raid of 50s stomping over everyone.. VERY rarley did we every have any decent back and forth PVP in stillmoor generally it was just whoever got the bigger raid together and crush the other side... Either way I really see no reason to play on PVP servers unless you love to deal with 10 year old kids who have nothing better to do than ruin your gaming experience by grief killing you over and over since there's no penalty to do so... oh and I'm a PVPer I play for PVP but if you played lineage 2 before you know there is a difference between PK and PVP. 

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I really don't care if others exploit the pvp-bug and level up to the max in one day. I bet it's fun to skip the whole game and start doing the real grind, end game.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Theely

I'm curious as to what other PVPers think about such a large release gap between Early Access and "Launch?"

I originally planned on playing on a PVP server but with a 7 day head start... that is a MASSIVE difference between legitimate open world PVP battles and constant gankage. By the time it is launch day most people starting on the 13th will be level 50 already and probably be decently geared.

I almost decided to not play at all but I'm way to bored so I don't think that is an option. I might just switch to a PVE server and just do BGs and the end-game open-world pvp (that does exist right? i don't follow that closely).

That is not a legitimate worry.  What about the people who won't be getting the game until Christmas, their birthday, or some other time.  Early release, or not, no game ever has everyone start on the exact same day.  There could be weeks, months, or even years before some people start playing.  Should all of them avoid playing PvP because they couldn't start on the first day?  Of course not.

Most people will be wanting to fight players their own level.  Some people will go after newbies, but there should be plenty on your faction that would be more than willing to go after those people for you. 

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by kiern

Originally posted by Theely

That is not a legitimate worry.  What about the people who won't be getting the game until Christmas, their birthday, or some other time.  Early release, or not, no game ever has everyone start on the exact same day.  There could be weeks, months, or even years before some people start playing.  Should all of them avoid playing PvP because they couldn't start on the first day?  Of course not.

Most people will be wanting to fight players their own level.  Some people will go after newbies, but there should be plenty on your faction that would be more than willing to go after those people for you. 

I genersally only play pvp servers if I am there at release. If you start a year later you're fighting some douche's level locked twink in Kalladim while you're trying to level up and in a newb clown suit, soooooo not wirth the aggrevation. :)

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

So people are calling something "working as inteded (c) Bioware" a bug/exploit? Guess what, things like that were known back in the beta and reported all people had to say was stuff like "well they want to bring people into the PvP so huge xp gain is good"...

I don't play the game but let me tell you this stuff is not new Bioware just didn't correct the huge XP gain so you can't call people exploiters for playing a mechanic the way BW wanted them to.

Another point why you can't have "waved EGAs" iif you PREORDER you should get in when the EGA starts, period.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

All this game offers...in my opinion.....is repetitious kid games they  dare call pvp...or just gankage.True faction vs faction 24/7 persistent conflict  remains mostly oft repeated promises of what will be sometime in the future.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

I chose sucking my thumb because it does bother me since all the servers have a "Light" load right now but everyone gets to 50 eventually.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

All this game offers...in my opinion.....is repetitious kid games they dare call pvp...or just gankage.True faction vs faction 24/7 persistent conflict remains mostly oft repeated promises of what will be sometime in the future.

Okay... you are aware PvP is just Player vs Player right? So you may be right about it not being the most competitive environment ever like an E-Sport... but SW:Tor does have PvP and never claimed to be an E-Sport so calm down on that. Maybe GW2 will offer better in that regard.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

MMO's and E-Sports dont match, and as for GW2 u have an advantage or not when you choose the skills to use on your action bar = retarded, 8 skills that can be of any use vs some player or not

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

I'm gonna play on a PVE server and take my sweet ass time leveling up. If I wanna pvp I will pvp if I don't, I won't there'll be plenty of time for everything.

• ColdSunColdSun Member Posts: 210

I think you should stop sucking your thumb.  So what, some chump 10 levels higher kills you?  All that means is that he started before you.  In no way should it bother you, in fact, you should laugh and continue forward.  I thought part of the excitement of PVP was never knowing wtf would happen?  Just think of the glorious payback as you teach them the true power of the dark side when you catch up.

ColdSun

Originally posted by ColdSun

I think you should stop sucking your thumb.  So what, some chump 10 levels higher kills you?  All that means is that he started before you.  In no way should it bother you, in fact, you should laugh and continue forward.  I thought part of the excitement of PVP was never knowing wtf would happen?  Just think of the glorious payback as you teach them the true power of the dark side when you catch up.

yea thats a lot of fun when a group 20 levels higher than everyone spawn camps an entire area for hours not letting anyone do quests.. Sooo much fun there. This sort of crap happenes all the time on pvp servers

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

People are saying if you nolife it and you skip dialogue (like i'm imagining a lot of PVP hard core players will) that you can get to 50 (level cap)  in less than 60 hours played (which is before the EA is over)  

So.... yeah ....

Just sayin.

Then stop going to that spot?  Camp out and play elsewhere for a bit?  Sooner or later dorks that play PVP this way either get hosed by real players or get bored.  No one ruins my fun.  Back when I played DAOC in beta, there was a skald running around killing other Midgard players with a shout that was bugged.  one shot.  Boom.  People were all pissed off.  Hell, he killed me like ten times.  I decided to take away his fun by not being there anymore.  Later, when the bug was fixed, I was still in the beta and he was a name forgotten forever by all of us.

ColdSun

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Kidon

MMO's and E-Sports dont match, and as for GW2 u have an advantage or not when you choose the skills to use on your action bar = retarded, 8 skills that can be of any use vs some player or not

You'll have to forgive me because im not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. Are you basically implying that Guild Wars 2's skill system isn't a good pvp mechanic?

The fact that you'll be able to unlock a series of skills and only select 8 of them will be much more diverse than any talent based system in other MMO's. It means that a player who encounters you won't be able to predict your actions because theres no possible way s/he will be able to know what your build is and vise versa. It opens a lot of exciting opportunities for pvp and im very interested in experiencing it in the future, a lot of us are.

Then stop going to that spot?  Camp out and play elsewhere for a bit?  Sooner or later dorks that play PVP this way either get hosed by real players or get bored.  No one ruins my fun.  Back when I played DAOC in beta, there was a skald running around killing other Midgard players with a shout that was bugged.  one shot.  Boom.  People were all pissed off.  Hell, he killed me like ten times.  I decided to take away his fun by not being there anymore.  Later, when the bug was fixed, I was still in the beta and he was a name forgotten forever by all of us.

you say that like theres tons of places to level... this game is even more linear than Rift in that fasion

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

You'll have to forgive me because im not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. Are you basically implying that Guild Wars 2's skill system isn't a good pvp mechanic?

The fact that you'll be able to unlock a series of skills and only select 8 of them will be much more diverse than any talent based system in other MMO's. It means that a player who encounters you won't be able to predict your actions because theres no possible way s/he will be able to know what your build is and vise versa. It opens a lot of exciting opportunities for pvp and im very interested in experiencing it in the future, a lot of us are.

yea this was best part of PVP in first GW you couldn't just see what class a player was and know how to handle them cause you never knew what 8 skills he had

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by DerWotan

So people are calling something "working as inteded (c) Bioware" a bug/exploit? Guess what, things like that were known back in the beta and reported all people had to say was stuff like "well they want to bring people into the PvP so huge xp gain is good"...

I don't play the game but let me tell you this stuff is not new Bioware just didn't correct the huge XP gain so you can't call people exploiters for playing a mechanic the way BW wanted them to.

Another point why you can't have "waved EGAs" iif you PREORDER you should get in when the EGA starts, period.

Just out of curiosity, what gives huge XP gains? Are you talking about warzones or something else?

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Originally posted by Quailman

Just out of curiosity, what gives huge XP gains? Are you talking about warzones or something else?

Quailman!! haven't see you since the 90s:P

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Dont care.  Im glad TOR launched.  it is not a pvp game, never will be.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

everyone said same thing about Rift yet they didn't listen to the PVP complaints and lost a ton of people because of it

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by Quailman

Quailman!! haven't see you since the 90s:P

Consume. Be silent. Die.

everyone said same thing about Rift yet they didn't listen to the PVP complaints and lost a ton of people because of it

The logic of your rebuttal is weak.  TOR is not Rift.  Further, in your response to me above, I say, FEEL THE POWER OF THIS FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

ColdSun

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Playing themepark MMO's i've never felt like there's a real need to make PvP servers. People are going to get griefed by the opposing side as is, now you're going to make it worse by griefing your own side? I'd stick to the PvE server and just play for the fun of it and then if I decide to PvP then I'd just queue up for the BG's.

Seriously, wouldn't people prefer to play a PvP focused game if they are more towards doing PvPing? The real pvping days are long but gone. There's always going to be a flaw in every MMO with class balancing, and the PvPers will basically be the ones ruining the classes.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

The logic of your rebuttal is weak.  TOR is not Rift.  Further, in your response to me above, I say, FEEL THE POWER OF THIS FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL DEATH STAR!

This rebuttal is sufficient.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Knowing everything about your class and all others classes in an mmo is what makes you a good pvper, that with experience and good reaction times. Facing someone and not knowing what they can do is based on LUCK wont ever catch me play a game like that, ofc it is just my opinion that counts for nothing.