Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so Expensive?

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP the simple answer...because they have an acceptable number (to them)who will pay it....and they want to recoup their sizable investment sooner rather than later.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

i pay $60 for games that I play for a month then trash.  I don't think buying a great game that will lat much longer and only having to pay $15 a month for is that much.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by drbaltazar

mmo gamer dont mind paying for good quality mmo but paying for a non dx11.non 64 bit.non 24p .non 8 threaded etc etc etc mmo? hell no.f2p of today are equal if not better .

/tor is a dx 11 game it requires shader 3.0 and its graphics are actually quite good when u play it. Im tired of people trolling around bashing tors graphics when they just dont like the style they chose

Its getting old either pay the money buy the game play it or dont. Stop whinng about every little thing. 

almost positive this game doesn't support dx11 features.. Which  isn't a bad thing considering most single player games don't even support it.. actually I'm pretty sure its DX9 only still

From everything I've read it is certainly not DX11, so your right.  I would love for them to have a DX9 as well as a DX10 client for the game (Hell, DX11 is out, people need to stop trying to use toasters to play new games /endrant).  But I felt that its graphics level matched its art style so it wasnt that bad that its not in DX10 or 11, but with a budget of $150 million I almost expected it.  

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Originally posted by fistorm

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

I'm just really greatfull you shared that with everyone, something like a choice on purchasing software escapes most of us and so now I dont feel so alone.

His choice was one made out of necessity.  "Theres no way I can pay for this" means he cant afford it.  I can't afford that Bently I want, but that doesnt mean I'm making a choice to not buy a Bently.  

Are you seriously argueing semantics? the point that illudes you is that the title of this post is "why is this game so expensive" To my knowlegde it's no more expensive than any other AAA title, it is not mandatory to buy and this isn't facebook.

But thanks for missing the point of this no point post, Bently.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Wow, I'm amazed this got 18 pages of replies...

• Didn't seem expensive to me. 60 bucks seems reasonable for it honestly with what the game is. One of the highest budget costed games created to date. If the base game was 75 or 80 i'd of said yeah that's high and still payed it but 60 with our current economy and absolutely devalued US currency doesn't seem all that bad.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Shatter30

Since when is $60 expensive?

depends on the country, i kind of understand the OP. When i used to live in my native country i couldnt afford sub based mmos... a regular job pays about US$250 - 350 monthly (unless you are a boss or have other high position) while all forms of entertainment imported from other countries are mad expensive plus crazy higher taxes just because are imported products... for that same reason, sadly, piracy is part of normal life back at home.... tho here in USA $60 bucks for a game is not that bad (if the game is good with good replayability, of course).

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

If there's one sector of the economy where prices are not exorbitant, compared to say, 15 years ago, it's video games.

They've gone up slightly, yes, but when you look at other real life necessities and how much they've gone up over the years (food, gas, etc..), the price hikes aren't so bad.

Back in 1992, Ultima VII cost $70 when it first came out on the PC.

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

Are you guys seriously whining about a 60$ price tag on a game? really? a game that will give you hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment?

How long can you sit in a cinema for 60$ wherever you live? around here it would be about 10 hours (5 movies) in a crappy theater.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by bdew

Are you guys seriously whining about a 60$ price tag on a game? really? a game that will give you hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment?

How long can you sit in a cinema for 60$ wherever you live? around here it would be about 10 hours (5 movies) in a crappy theater.

Different forms of entertainment are superior to others. For instance, 10 hours of superb movies is far more enjoyable than any 10 hours in any MMORPG, in my opinion. 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

$60 is expensive? o_O

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

In the UK it is pronounced. A typical (discounted) price for a new game is 24.99. Pretty much the cheapest you can get SWTOR for is 34.99. Many outlets are selling at 39.99. With origin asking 44.99, it is significantly more expensive here.

It's all about "the going rate" for stuff. When Diablo III, Guildwars II, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City etc. are all cheaper it is natural to question the price. Incidentally hundres of thousands of hours of entertainment will cost a lot lot more than 60 bucks unless you are prediciting a last minute anouncement that SWTOR is going F2P?

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

Just wait a month or 2 there will be plenty of deals to get in game by then.

• ZtekanZtekan Member Posts: 261

Its expensive cuss rumos has it cost 1000 milion dollar to make , acording to lose rumors

System Specc
    Intel I7 4770K 3,5 ghz
    16Gb RAM 1600 mhz
    Nvidia GTX 780

Get a couple of relatives to club together for it maybe, or even pay some towards it yourself?

• CeldainCeldain Member UncommonPosts: 119

it's expensive because they want to make moneh

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

What new video game release isn't at least $60 these days?

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Imo 60$ + sub is way too much, usually sub mmo are cheap, a lot are free, just look around, maybe not the first month but the price fall very fast. Now Will EA do it soon, i wouldn't bet on this for sure, especially since they have some agreement with LA about the box price shares.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Where do you live, Beverly Hills?  Most amazing movie theaters I can find in Houston only cost around 8 bucks a person at the absolute most.  Go to a matinee and its only like 6 bucks.  And we are talking the movie theaters with the awesome reclining seats and the magic soda despensers that have an absurd amount of different sodas and lemonaids all out of one spout.

A "crappy" theatre is one that only has around 6 theatres in it and those cost around 5 bucks to get in.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Requiamer

Imo 60$ + sub is way too much, usually sub mmo are cheap, a lot are free, just look around, maybe not the first month but the price fall very fast. Now Will EA do it soon, i wouldn't bet on this for sure, especially since they have some agreement with LA about the box price shares.

Way too much?  Have you looked at recent launch prices of MMO's?  Its around $60.  And if its free then its usually NOT a sub mmo.  Show me some sub MMO's that are free to buy (AAA or AA please, no RS).  And yeah the price will fall because thats economics.  If it is successful it wont though, look at WoW's boxes, they still cost an absurd amount compared to some mmo's boxes that are lower population.  

I'm not saying SWTOR will pass WoW but as long as its popular its boxes will stay high.  I wouldnt expect to pay less for this game for at least 6 months.

• AmancueAmancue Member Posts: 3

Where do you live, Beverly Hills?  Most amazing movie theaters I can find in Houston only cost around 8 bucks a person at the absolute most.  Go to a matinee and its only like 6 bucks.  And we are talking the movie theaters with the awesome reclining seats and the magic soda despensers that have an absurd amount of different sodas and lemonaids all out of one spout.

A "crappy" theatre is one that only has around 6 theatres in it and those cost around 5 bucks to get in.

actually he's not far off, average movie theater in florida, is anywhere from $9.50 to $14, hell the theater down the street from me is $11.50 with a College I.D. (and thats the discounted rate)

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

It is expensive coz ppl minds are stuck 90s they still believe that server costs are so high.......... and developers just milk them coz they can.

Thank god for Arena Net B2P games are future !!!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Way too much?  Have you looked at recent launch prices of MMO's?  Its around $60.  And if its free then its usually NOT a sub mmo.  Show me some sub MMO's that are free to buy (AAA or AA please, no RS).  And yeah the price will fall because thats economics.  If it is successful it wont though, look at WoW's boxes, they still cost an absurd amount compared to some mmo's boxes that are lower population.  

I'm not saying SWTOR will pass WoW but as long as its popular its boxes will stay high.  I wouldnt expect to pay less for this game for at least 6 months.

There will be a triple A MMO that won't have a sub...just saying.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Wow is at 20$ on the blizzard shop, it not expensive, and ye for a lot of sub mmo you can grap them for free on the net and jsut pay the sub. In fact all the mmo with trials have their software for free, so you cannot put mmo in the same bag as "any other game" as people pretend here, because it was never the case about game price, and probably never will because they get their money and fat money from sub. But i guess its a bit hard to understand for most people.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

They are charging that much because they can. They know the people who really want the game at launch will shell out 60 bucks instead of the usual 50. This is the essence of capitalism. Those that dont think they game warrants 60 bucks will wait a few months and when the hype settles the game will start to go on sales from time to time. 

So pay 60 bucks and play now or wait 2 or 3 months and pay 40 bucks. You hold all of the power in your hands. Heck you can wait a year and buy it for 20 bucks.