Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We're being played.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by eccoton

Originally posted by Entropy14
    How we getting played ?? Are free month does not start till the 20th and dont have to start paying sub 1 month after the 20th ........

So this is all free time as a thank you for pre ordering, yes some people get in a day before us..... like who gives a flying f*&^

Its a game, I think ill make it if i Cant play til lthe 15th.
    You would not tolerate this in any other business why do we cut mmo developers so much slack. This is EA we are talking about. They could make a sameday launch work. This is all about getting those preorder sales not and keeping any bad press on launch day to stop people from buying game nothing more. How many people would preorder if they got nothing for doing it? This is about money nothing else. I do not have a problem with that, mmos are made to make money but the op is correct in my opinion.

If a movie released on the 15th, but people could get in to see the movie early on the 13th on a first come, first serve basis, it would be perfectly acceptable.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Badgered86

Imagine if any other game launched but didn't allow everyone who purchased the game to log in on day one.  People would be raging and gaming media would be all over it.  That's exactly what is happening here...

Wait... they're pushing back the Dec 20th release date to later in the year? Or are you saying only some people will be allowed in on the 20th and not others?

NO. It basically says that today is really the launch day and EA is deceitful for calling it otherwise. Blahh..blah..blah..and if there were no early release how we would react if they handled  launch in the same way. No other games do this..etc..etc...etc. As if Bioware hasn't been stating for at least 6months how it would all go down. Then with the Dec 20th launch announced it was made clear that pre-orders would get early access before launch date. Somehow  to the OP...this is wrong.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by dubyahite

I agree with the OP. Today is the launch day not the 20th. He is right this is just a way to stagger launch. What if the game launched on the 20th for all players but you did not get access for two days? You would be pissed. Pre-order is a smoke screen to get your money early and to stagger player access.

Can you go walk into a store and buy the game today? Didn't think so. game's not out yet. 

This was a smart move on their part. If they didn't do this the same people crying about not being able to play would be crying about not being able to play because the server crashed, or the queue is 8 hours or whatever. 

This isn't launch. It's early access. Other companies have done it as well. It's not the same. 

Are you so niave to think EA and BW after spending 80 million dollars could not have a smooth launch horse crap. We are not talking about some small company. This is EA why not expect them to let everyone who buys the game enter on the same day. They can do it. Remember EA 80 million dollars no need to cut them slack.

That's just it. They are having a smooth launch right now.  The servers stayed up. there are no queues.  

Smooth launch accomplished.  

Was there some other point to your response?

Beyond that, there is more to a smooth launch than money. Sure they could open up 3,000 servers, but if the population dips in a few months and servers have to be merged you'll all be back here bashing them for that.  They have to limit the number of servers, even though there are going to be too many people for each server.

Even if the population never dips and continues to grow, the servers will never see a beating like launch day again. Peoples play times will be more spread out and not all logging in at the same time.

It's always better to have to open up new servers down the road then it would be to have to merge them later. People start saying a game has completely failed when server mergers happen, plus it destroys communities.  

The point is this is about buck and nothing else which is ok by me. I will be in on the 15th and I am patient but make no mistake this is about EA not you as a player. Some people post here about this launch as if EA is doing them a favor.

They are doing us a favor by providing a stable playable product for us instead of a crashing lag fest. It is also a smart business decision.

Everybody wins.

Sometimes in business, especially service oriented business with customers, doing the right thing for the customer is also the most profitable thing to do. Our interests are their interests.

Do you even understand anything about customer service and quality of service? Do you understand how that whole thing works?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by Badgered86

Originally posted by laserit

My god.....

I'm such a sucker.....

How dare they let people start playing on the 13th when they clearly said release in on the 20th. Clearly the game is broken.

You don't work in design I see.  Under-promise, over-deliver, but have a plan the whole time to get things done on a certian schedule.

Marketing speak works well on you.  I'm assuming buzz words like "job creators" and "makers and takers" work well on you as well.  Don't feel bad, they do on most people.

Actually I do work in design, for over 30 years now.  I dont design software, I do design, prototype and manufacture all kinds of metal components for almost every kind of industry you can imagine.

#1: Only promise what you know you can deliver.

#2:  Design and provide a prototype or product that meets or favorably exceeds the customer's expectations (over deliver)

This has nothing to do with some idiotic conspiracy theory, or taking your customer's as dumb, or taking advantage of people.

A happy customer is a return customer.

Business 101

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• I get to enjoy the game sooner than expected and for no extra charge. BioWare owned me... hard :(

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Just so you know you never had to Pre-Order

They didn't make you pre-order. With the numbers they are getting, they probably didn't need you to pre-order anyways.

If you want to play it you can wait till launch day and buy it at the store, or online, they provide you with the options

I have play multiple MMO's , where I have to choose an Low Population server and never be on the same one with my friends until weeks after launch and server ques dies down abit.

I have play multiple MMO's where people crashed the server.

This has nothing to do with how much money they put in, this has everything to do with how smart they are doing it.

You are just pissed because you forgot to Input your Pre-order code, and you weren't given the edge of getting in the game earlier than those few who did it on Day One.

Haven't you ever play other MMO's, if you had you would know the consequences of an Unsuccessful Launch, regardless of whether or not the game is awesome. IF you can't have  a  Smooth Launch, the game will get so much bad press that its just not worth it to justify the few people that got pissed for not getting into the early access.

Pro and Cons, if you can't see it you are just trolling out of Jealousy and its just pitiful

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Entropy14

How we getting played ?? Are free month does not start till the 20th and dont have to start paying sub 1 month after the 20th ........

So this is all free time as a thank you for pre ordering, yes some people get in a day before us..... like who gives a flying f*&^

Its a game, I think ill make it if i Cant play til lthe 15th.

You would not tolerate this in any other business why do we cut mmo developers so much slack. This is EA we are talking about. They could make a sameday launch work. This is all about getting those preorder sales not and keeping any bad press on launch day to stop people from buying game nothing more. How many people would preorder if they got nothing for doing it? This is about money nothing else. I do not have a problem with that, mmos are made to make money but the op is correct in my opinion.

If a movie released on the 15th, but people could get in to see the movie early on the 13th on a first come, first serve basis, it would be perfectly acceptable.

This actually happens all the time. The theatre has a midnight showing early, but only on one screen. When that one screen sells out that's it, noone else gets in. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

The point is this is about buck and nothing else which is ok by me. I will be in on the 15th and I am patient but make no mistake this is about EA not you as a player. Some people post here about this launch as if EA is doing them a favor.

I don't think they are doing anyone a favor. I think they are trying to insure a smooth launch so they don't look bad.

But I don't get that we are "being played".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't think they are doing anyone a favor. I think they are trying to insure a smooth launch so they don't look bad.

I would say that ensuring a smooth launch IS doing us a favor.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

First, early access does not count vs your free 30 days.

Second, the game is not available for retail sale.

So this early access is costing EA money in the form of less earnings per day. EA is hoping that this early access period provides a smoother more positive play experience for their customer base. Which EA hopes will lead to more sub dollars. This is not rocket science.  

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I agree with the OP. Today is the launch day not the 20th. He is right this is just a way to stagger launch. What if the game launched on the 20th for all players but you did not get access for two days? You would be pissed. Pre-order is a smoke screen to get your money early and to stagger player access.

Can you go walk into a store and buy the game today? Didn't think so. game's not out yet. 

This was a smart move on their part. If they didn't do this the same people crying about not being able to play would be crying about not being able to play because the server crashed, or the queue is 8 hours or whatever. 

This isn't launch. It's early access. Other companies have done it as well. It's not the same. 

Are you so niave to think EA and BW after spending 80 million dollars could not have a smooth launch horse crap. We are not talking about some small company. This is EA why not expect them to let everyone who buys the game enter on the same day. They can do it. Remember EA 80 million dollars no need to cut them slack.

That's just it. They are having a smooth launch right now.  The servers stayed up. there are no queues.  

Beyond that, there is more to a smooth launch than money. Sure they could open up 3,000 servers, but if the population dips in a few months and servers have to be merged you'll all be back here bashing them for that.  They have to limit the number of servers, even though there are going to be too many people for each server.

Even if the population never dips and continues to grow, the servers will never see a beating like launch day again. Peoples play times will be more spread out and not all logging in at the same time.

It's always better to have to open up new servers down the road then it would be to have to merge them later. People start saying a game has completely failed when server mergers happen, plus it destroys communities.  

They are doing us a favor by providing a stable playable product for us instead of a crashing lag fest. It is also a smart business decision.

Everybody wins.

Sometimes in business, especially service oriented business with customers, doing the right thing for the customer is also the most profitable thing to do. Our interests are their interests.

Do you even understand anything about customer service and quality of service? Do you understand how that whole thing works?

I sure do know how it works. Before I decided to become a college professor I was VP of marketing for a hobby art store chain for 10 years. So I understand a great deal about customer service and quality. I have no problem with what EA is doing but I am just saying as customers we can expect the largest game publisher on the planet to have a smooth launch without this antiquated idea of per-order. Set a date sell the game and open the doors. I believe EA could do this.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

It doesnt matter how a developer launches a game, the ejiats will be out in full force slating the developers for not doing it their way.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

What's with all the loudmouths yelling "you're not a customer, you haven't paid yet and you certainly haven't paid for early access!" WRONG on all accounts. I paid the FULL 55 euro when I pre-ordered in November. 50 for the game and 5 for early access. It was taken from my bankaccount then and there by Origin because of me purchasing a Digital Edition. I DO have the right to complain (which I'm not; I was late so fuck me), but this goes for many other people so it needs to be said.

Originally posted by catlana

First, early access does not count vs your free 30 days.

Second, the game is not available for retail sale.

So this early access is costing EA money in the form of less earnings per day. EA is hoping that this early access period provides a smoother more positive play experience for their customer base. Which EA hopes will lead to more sub dollars. This is not rocket science.  

That is it. You got it right it is about press having a smooth launch to make money. Some hear talk about it like it is a favor EA is doing for them. We are the ones doing EA the favor.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Sovrath

I would say that ensuring a smooth launch IS doing us a favor.  

I don't see it as a favor I see it as part of offering a good product. Companies should offer good products as a matter of course and they should do whatever they can reasonably do within their power to make their customers happy customers.

the key word being "reasonably"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Everybody wins.

I sure do know how it works. Before I decided to become a college professor I was VP of marketing for a hobby art store chain for 10 years. So I understand a great deal about customer service and quality. I have no problem with what EA is doing but I am just saying as customers we can expect the largest game publisher on the planet to have a smooth launch without this antiquated idea of per-order. Set a date sell the game and open the doors. I believe EA could do this.

Ok. You still haven't answered the question I asked. How do they do the same day launch smoothly? Explain that.

How do you keep the servers up during the largest mmo launch in history? How do you keep the queues down? 

I'm glad you studied business and marketing. I studied IT and Networking. What you are asking for is no small feat, trust me.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Everybody wins.

Being a college prof doesnt make you right either, the prime minister has more degrees than a full circle, it doesnt make all his ideas on running a country right.

Originally posted by Michiel

What's with all the loudmouths yelling "you're not a customer, you haven't paid yet and you certainly haven't paid for early acces!" WRONG on all accounts. I paid the FULL 55 euro when I pre-ordered in November. 50 for the game and 5 for early access. It was taken from my bankaccount then and there by Origin because of me purchasing a Digital Edition. I DO have the right to complain (which I'm not; I was late so fuck me), but this goes for many other people so it needs to be said.

I agree. Remember people we paid and extra 5 bucks for access. This is about money pure and simple.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

If you don t like it cancel your damn pre order and don t play. This is the biggest whinefest I ve seen over absolutely nothing. You would have a right to bitch if they stated otherwise, but they didn t. Get over it, and maybe you wouldn t be so cranky and probably have a headache from refreshing your e mail all day.

Why is this such a big deal. People are to damn spoiled nowadays, they think everyone owes them the world.

Grow up and deal with it.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

What's with all the loudmouths yelling "you're not a customer, you haven't paid yet and you certainly haven't paid for early acces!" WRONG on all accounts. I paid the FULL 55 euro when I pre-ordered in November. 50 for the game and 5 for early access. It was taken from my bankaccount then and there by Origin through me purchasing a Digital Edition. I DO have the right to complain (which I'm not; I was late so fuck me), but this goes for many other people so it needs to be said.

Okay, but...

The game still has yet to be officially released.

Read the above line as many times as you need for that fact to set in.

The alternative is that the game were to release for everyone on December 20th, no one would be able to play prior to that, and very likely a great deal of people wouldn't even be able to play on the 20th due to the flood of players crashing all of the servers.

What's with all the loudmouths yelling "you're not a customer, you haven't paid yet and you certainly haven't paid for early access!" WRONG on all accounts. I paid the FULL 55 euro when I pre-ordered in November. 50 for the game and 5 for early access. It was taken from my bankaccount then and there by Origin because of me purchasing a Digital Edition. I DO have the right to complain (which I'm not; I was late so fuck me), but this goes for many other people so it needs to be said.

If you ordered digital edition they refund all but the 5 euroto your account a couple days later.  You might wanna make sure about that on your bank account, but yeah. They will charge you again for the 50 euro

At least that's how it worked in the US. Maybe it's different in EU. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65

The biggest problem with Early Access is that it is currently giving an unfair advantage to Day 1 people - these people are getting free Exp and Commendations by exploiting PVP WarZones.

Do a simple search for people streaming SWTOR now, and you'll see quite a few people spamming WarZones over and over - however the Warzones end prematurely (120 seconds) due to lack of players... because the servers are empty.

Thus, they are able to farm experience and commendations at a much faster rate than they should be able to.

The concept of Early Access is fine, as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage to players based on when they got in. The problem with BWs horribly managed EA program is that they are giving an advantage to fist Day players - and not even attempting to address it.

Treating your community like they lack the intelligence to be told what is going on, is a horrible way to start trying to nurture a long term relationship with that community for your game.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

The self-righteous idiocy displayed by some posters on these boards is overwhelming. One would assume that a 29-30 year old person with no mental handicap would be able to exercise rational thinking.

Apparently some can't.

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Everybody wins.

Being a college prof doesnt make you right either, the prime minister has more degrees than a full circle, it doesnt make all his ideas on running a country right.

I in no way was suggesting because I was a professor I knew more then you or anyone else did I? I was actually saying I know a lot about marketing and customer service because of my 10 years before that since you were trying to insult me with you comment "Do you even understand anything about customer service..." so I was simply answering your question.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

If this staggered thing is bothering you that much PLEASE go outside and go for a long walk and think about what really matters in your life.

If it is still the SWTOR early access then please say you have no important responisbilites.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.