Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First wave complete - server pops all low/few medium. This could be major fail.

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

the fact that all preorders didn't get access at the same time, coupled with apparently no server opening staggering, is a massive fail by itself.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I don't know about you but I was already royally pissed at the stress-test beta on the starting planet when I each time had to search the quest NPCs in between the 40+ people standing around him/her.

The waves do make sense for several reasons and those that once again are complaining seriously should consider if gaming might not maybe be a tiny bit too important for them in their lives.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

Nothing to say about this except OP, You a 1st class idiot.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm not the only person who entered their code on the first day (July 21, 2011) who wasn't in the first wave. So, if they can't even handle all the first day pre-orders with out issues, then I would classify that as a rocky start.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by BarryManilow

Originally posted by eric1000

Originally posted by evemaster00

So far all this sending the invites out in waves thing has accomplished is giving a headstart to the lucky few. The majority of servers are still low pop, a few are medium. If it stays like this for a few hours then this is going to be major fail.

What's fail about it?   Better them do it this way than let everyone swamp the server at once and probably bring it screaching to a halt.

I don't know about you but part of the fun of a launch of a new MMO is the mad rush you get when you tons of players in the newbie zones.   It's part of the excitement and rush people get.  I am seeing live streamers playing and the zones are dead.  It's almost like playing a single player game, which defeats the purpose of an MMO.   No excitement whatsoever...

This is starting be a bore fest honestly.  All the  triple A MMOs I played at launch had this great excitement as people compete at the same time and move on to the next time. 

I agree, i've been a part of most AAA mmo launches and I enjoy the launch day rush. Someone said empire side on one server has a whopping 56 people online. It's exactly as I first said, the lucky few get a head start.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

So far all this sending the invites out in waves thing has accomplished is giving a headstart to the lucky few. The majority of servers are still low pop, a few are medium. If it stays like this for a few hours then this is going to be major fail.

What's fail about it?   Better them do it this way than let everyone swamp the server at once and probably bring it screaching to a halt.

I don't know about you but part of the fun of a launch of a new MMO is the mad rush you get when you tons of players in the newbie zones.   It's part of the excitement and rush people get.  I am seeing live streamers playing and the zones are dead.  It's almost like playing a single player game, which defeats the purpose of an MMO.   No excitement whatsoever...

This is starting be a bore fest honestly.  All the  triple A MMOs I played at launch had this great excitement as people compete at the same time and move on to the next time. 

I agree, i've been a part of most AAA mmo launches and I enjoy the launch day rush. Someone said empire side on one server has a whopping 56 people online. It's exactly as I first said, the lucky few get a head start.

It would have been 56 people in his instance, not on his server.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by adam_nox

the fact that all preorders didn't get access at the same time, coupled with apparently no server opening staggering, is a massive fail by itself.

I believe you where promised a 5 day hear start? Your complain would be a valid if you have no access when it the 15th of december. Do not get me wrong, I understand your sentiment, but I also understand why they do not want to give early access to everyone at once. It actually dumb to do because a server is not created for such a influx of players in one zone.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Any one from EU playing, server page says 'No Servers Available'

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

You mean servers disconnecting and crashing all day? I much prefer the way they are doing it now.

In Bioware we trust!

• gavotte1gavotte1 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by fiontar

I'm not the only person who entered their code on the first day (July 21, 2011) who wasn't in the first wave. So, if they can't even handle all the first day pre-orders with out issues, then I would classify that as a rocky start.

^^^

I'm in the same boat. My husband and brother entered their code first day as well (brother 5ish hours after us) and they're both in the first launch. I get to play "read the forums" :(

Originally posted by Coman

I believe you where promised a 5 day hear start? Your complain would be a valid if you have no access when it the 15th of december. Do not get me wrong, I understand your sentiment, but I also understand why they do not want to give early access to everyone at once. It actually dumb to do because a server is not created for such a influx of players in one zone.

It's not one zone. The zone is instanced, beta korriban had something like 150 people per korriban zone and about 20 different instances of korriban total, holding something like 3k people, and it worked fine.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Originally posted by Nazgol

You mean servers disconnecting and crashing all day? I much prefer the way they are doing it now.

No actually I don't mean that, i've never had launch day issues and i'm always there from the moment the servers go up.

• SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171

The server list on the site says they are planning to launch 128 servers today if I counted correctly. With that much new hardware, I would not be surprised if a couple of them have some sort of hardware issue that only becomes apparent when they start being accessed by large numbers of people.

I also recall seeing that the pre-orders for the first day were over 100k box copies in NA alone. So they could be letting in pretty large waves.

Edit: I just got back on the site, and there are 107 US servers, all up with low or medium pop right now. It says no EU servers exist at the moment, so does anyone know if the EU are playing yet?

Originally posted by gavotte1

^^^

I'm in the same boat. My husband and brother entered their code first day as well (brother 5ish hours after us) and they're both in the first launch. I get to play "read the forums" :(

That he entered his code at a later time is worrisome. They tweated that your wave is based on the date you registered the code. So, I'm now guessing that if a day needs to be split into multiple waves, it's not based on actual time you entered the code, but some other arbitrary determination.

It wouldn't matter as much if the waves were every 15 minutes or so, but we have already passed the one hour mark with no second wave yet. I wonder how many waves before all the first day pre-orders get in?

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Um...There is this thing called work that many of us have to go to in the mornings, lets wait until ~6-7 then look at it.

I'm in but I certianly cant play from work

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Do you want them to open the game to everybody at the same time, like WoW did, and have like 50 repeat server shutdowns and 20 hour queu's?

The game officially releases on the 20th, I'd say this is pretty damn good to slowly open the flood gates.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It wouldn't matter as much if the waves were every 15 minutes or so, but we have already passed the one hour mark with no second wave yet. I wonder how many waves before all the first day pre-orders get in?

Heh...how many did they sell on the first day?  Just shy of 100k?

I'm actually amazed my email provider actually delivered the mail in a timely manner, given the email load the must've been generated by this launch.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

An hour should be more than enough time for people to start to filter out of the starter zones and the next wave to come in. They must be having other issues if there still isn't a second wave.

Originally posted by denshing

Do you want them to open the game to everybody at the same time, like WoW did, and have like 50 repeat server shutdowns and 20 hour queu's?

The game officially releases on the 20th, I'd say this is pretty damn good to slowly open the flood gates.

WoW didn't actually have that many preorders. Games like Aion and Warhammer had the kind of numbers SWTOR had and those games didn't need to do a silly staggered launch and those games launched without any serious issues.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I played wow day one and it wasn't nearly as bad as you and others like to exagerrate.  And they had half the servers swtor has up already.

An hour should be more than enough time for people to start to filter out of the starter zones and the next wave to come in. They must be having other issues if there still isn't a second wave.

Have you played any of this game at all?  An hour doesn't even touch the surface in terms of getting out of the starter zone.  It takes several hours at least, and even more than that if you are letting the cutscenes play out.  

Some of you people are incredible.  

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Nazgol

No actually I don't mean that, i've never had launch day issues and i'm always there from the moment the servers go up.

STanding with 50 other people to try and tag a single mob as it pops (Aion). Standing with 50 people trying to tag  one of 3 catapults that spawns every couple of minutes (Rift) (that one took me almost an hour even in a group) and I could go on and on naming other launches. A strange idea of fun frankly.

I played wow day one and it wasn't nearly as bad as you and others like to exagerrate.  And they had half the servers swtor has up already.

Wasn't that bad, huh?  I'd consider it bad if a company has to refund playing time to its customers, which is what Blizzard had to do for WoW.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Wasn't that bad, huh?  I'd consider it bad if a company has to refund playing time to its customers, which is what Blizzard had to do for WoW.

That and the hour long ques they had, and the loot bug.

In Bioware we trust!