Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so Expensive?

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Kainis

Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by Uronksur

Originally posted by MaGicBush

Methinks the younger crowd is finally getting their first taste of supply and demand economics 101.

What? Makes no sense, a digital copy and the current times :P. There is no supply/demand on a downloaded digital copy. It's called inflation and greed.

Bandwidth is free? The infrastructure for facilitating the mass distributing of a ~19gb client over the internet is free?

Pretty much compared to the sales price of a digital copy. Thanks to every potential customer having internet acces, marketing is a lot cheaper nowadays too. Also, you missed MaGiCBush's point. The price isnt high because of limited supply. Thats the great part (for MMO devs) of digital distribution.

It certainly isn't for boxes. Packaging and discs only cost cents out of total box cost.

Dont forget design and distribution. You dont have to design art for and manufacture a digital copy. Digital download is also easier to scale. If you need more bandwidth because of demand, thats easier to do then having to print and distribute another million boxes all over the world, which takes more time. Or worse, the other way around, having printed too many copies.

They likely do what everyone else has ever done. The shipping companies give a bulk rate on the number of boxes you ship at a given time. You print for that many boxes so you say "I need one order to go to Zimbabwe" and that might mean several thousand, etc. Since art is all on pdf, typically, the cost of it all again is reduced to cents per total cost of box. Oh, and many provide said pdfs as part of the digital download, with the only thing missing are the extra adds and box cover art. Spread out over a couple of million orders, these things are negligible and the companies are willing to eat those costs.

You always lose more money on this. The amount you produced is never right. Its too much or you get delays for certain regions because you have too few. So this means priority manufacturing with extra costs, or shipping to other regions. It definately has more overhead costs then digital distribution.

Many places "buy" the order. That means that from a publishing perspective, they have filled their demand if they ship an order to Gamestop. Gamestop has 'bought' the order. When the customer gets from Gamestop, they are simply paying the store back for their costs. In short, Gamestop orders 500 for a store, that 500 is produced for that store. It is up to the store to then sell all 500. EA doesn't care. It has already made it's money off of the 500.

O come on. Think further? How many distribution centers do you have worldwide? How many ppl have you hired to take the orders? You want a fast response and delivery right? To prevent choking points?

There will be too many copies in certain regions and too few in others. And over time you have to keep estimating how many new copies you need to produce. The amount you manufacture is an estimate at any given time. Storing them costs money. This all needs a more hands on approach in multiple spots around the world.

With digital download you can respond a lot faster with the needed distribution (bandwidth). You wont have to store unused copies or need time to manufacture new ones.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    cause their window of profit is very narrow,they got from now till probably next year same date till gw2 is release.after that it is unknown they probably know their profit will drop by a lot .that is why they put it this expensive.i wont pay these amount to play a game hell no
  • arrecksarrecks Member Posts: 17

Game prices have been the same (taking into account inflation). Obviously, people either don't understand simple macroeconomics or they just started playing video games recently. NES (not super nintendo,  OG nintendo) games were around 35$. I remember N64 games being 50$. I'd say 60$ is a good price. I swear, people who complain about prices do not understand basic  microeconomics (along with S and D, comes ATC, AVC, MC and MR). 

Methinks the younger crowd is finally getting their first taste of supply and demand economics 101.

What? Makes no sense, a digital copy and the current times :P. There is no supply/demand on a downloaded digital copy. It's called inflation and greed.

Bandwidth is free? The infrastructure for facilitating the mass distributing of a ~19gb client over the internet is free?

Pretty much compared to the sales price of a digital copy. Thanks to every potential customer having internet acces, marketing is a lot cheaper nowadays too. Also, you missed MaGiCBush's point. The price isnt high because of limited supply. Thats the great part (for MMO devs) of digital distribution.

...my point is that MaGicBush is wrong. There is a supply/demand for digital distribution. EA has to purchase and maintain servers just to distribute the client, and bandwidth has to be purchased to distribute it. If the point he wanted to make was that such is comparatively cheap to a physical product, maybe he should have said that, not that it didn't exist at all.

Bandwidth is cheap and easier to scale. Printing and distributing physical copies takes time. So if demand exceeds supply with this, you have a serious problem. Even more the other way around. Digital distribution is way more flexible and cheaper. Stop believing their marketing bs that tries to justify those prices and subs.

They ask 60$ +15$ a month because they can. This has nothing to do with costs.

You aren't paying attention.

Magicbush said the supply/demand does not exist at all. I am pointing out that his claim is wrong. Why you are coming and telling me that bandwidth is cheap and easy to scale is beyond me, because it is besides the point.

No he is right. There is no limit to the supply of a digital copy as long as the salesprice for each product exceeds the costs.

He. Did. Not. Say. That. This is not a complicated concept.

Magicbush never meant that there is no supply or demand, just that the price isnt based on supply and demand. Blame him for sloppy writing, but why would you assume that he actually meant that there is no supply or demand?

• RavencallRavencall Member Posts: 25

What is this the second or third time we have seen this ? (LoL) Welcome to the modern age where you get a job ! The cost is $ 10 above the the norn , the monthly is average. My suggestion ? go play hello kitty till walmart call's you back..

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

...my point is that MaGicBush is wrong. There is a supply/demand for digital distribution. EA has to purchase and maintain servers just to distribute the client, and bandwidth has to be purchased to distribute it. If the point he wanted to make was that such is comparatively cheap to a physical product, maybe he should have said that, not that it didn't exist at all.

Bandwidth is cheap and easier to scale. Printing and distributing physical copies takes time. So if demand exceeds supply with this, you have a serious problem. Even more the other way around. Digital distribution is way more flexible and cheaper. Stop believing their marketing bs that tries to justify those prices and subs.

Magicbush said the supply/demand does not exist at all. I am pointing out that his claim is wrong. Why you are coming and telling me that bandwidth is cheap and easy to scale is beyond me, because it is besides the point.

No he is right. There is no limit to the supply of a digital copy as long as the salesprice for each product exceeds the costs.

Magicbush never meant that there is no supply or demand, just that the price isnt based on supply and demand. Blame him for sloppy writing, but why would you assume that he actually meant that there is no supply or demand?

Because that is what he actually said, and I don't pretend to be able to read minds to know what people actually intended to say. If you want to speculate that he "meant" something else, feel free. Just don't expect any of us to be convinced of it because you say so.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by fistorm

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

Maybe they know that they will not earn any money from subs and they are charging in advance.lol

• Vindicare175Vindicare175 Member UncommonPosts: 3

Since when is 60$ expensive? If your planning to wait for the price to go down it won't for a long time , also depends on how well it does.

Originally posted by Ravencall

What is this the second or third time we have seen this ? (LoL) Welcome to the modern age where you get a job ! The cost is $ 10 above the the norn , the monthly is average. My suggestion ? go play hello kitty till walmart call's you back..

That just makes you a sheep. You think its an average price because the games industry determines it is.

It is funny that when it comes to gamemechanics and gamequality, MMO players can be very critical. But when it comes to prices many of those same MMO players are zombies.

But I guess that one has to do with the other. Paying first for impatience from waiting and then getting disappointed because the game rarely meets expectations, so we become critical about the game.

And the next time we still havent learned. Because they ask the average AAA price for the game, That means quality.

(Disclaimer: This is meant for MMO's and players in general, not for SWTOR because it hasnt released yet)

Because that is what he actually said, and I don't pretend to be able to read minds to know what people actually intended to say. If you want to speculate that he "meant" something else, feel free. Just don't expect any of us to be convinced of it because you say so.

The inflation and greed part logically implies it. How else would you explain that sentence? Meh, these forums....

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

I'm just really greatfull you shared that with everyone, something like a choice on purchasing software escapes most of us and so now I dont feel so alone.

• RavencallRavencall Member Posts: 25

I payed $ 80.. Baaaaa. Not to be rude , I know that not everyone can roll out dough. My suggestion is save up the game looks cool and is worth the money. Besides its starwar's ! ..sry had to insert fanboy qoute. Baaaa

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

There is supply and demand they are just fixing the price to the industry norm.  They have these super uncomplicated models telling them if they sell the game at $a they'll make $b as well as if they sell it for $x they'll may $y.  If b>y then they sell it for $a, if not they sell it for $y

Even if it's you believe it's not a a supply and demand case (which you would still be wrong) it's still BASIC ECON 101 stuff.  You know, the stuff you learn within the first 12 months of college (aka higher education).

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.  If you complain about it and still buy it, congratulations...here is your hypocrite card.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The game will be $5 by summer.

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

The new modern warfare game just hit a BILLION dollars in sales today.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I'm sorry, but when was the last time you bought a brand new video game? Because I'll wager it's been years...

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

U know why its 59.99 because thats what games cost today.  Its not like they are charging more then u would for a single player game for the  xbox360 pc or ps3.

games that are released cost 60 dollars now its just the way things work

dont like the price dont buy it. it doesnt make u a sheep if u buy it or dont. 

The fact is games cost 60 dollars to buy. there is alot of costs associated with makng games and that cost gets passed on to us in the cost of the game itself.

U k now they arent gonna just give u a game. Oh and gw 2 will be in the 60 dollar range also when it releases.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    mmo gamer dont mind paying for good quality mmo but paying for a non dx11.non 64 bit.non 24p .non 8 threaded etc etc etc mmo? hell no.f2p of today are equal if not better .
  • UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

The inflation and greed part logically implies it. How else would you explain that sentence? Meh, these forums....

I agree. It's just terrible when we take people at their word that they mean it when they say "there is no supply/demand on a downloaded digital copy".

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by drbaltazar

mmo gamer dont mind paying for good quality mmo but paying for a non dx11.non 64 bit.non 24p .non 8 threaded etc etc etc mmo? hell no.f2p of today are equal if not better .

/tor is a dx 11 game it requires shader 3.0 and its graphics are actually quite good when u play it. Im tired of people trolling around bashing tors graphics when they just dont like the style they chose

Its getting old either pay the money buy the game play it or dont. Stop whinng about every little thing. 

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Because the DVD or digital download bandwidth is lined in gold.

actually it's EA ... 59.99 is their average cost.

That is just typical game rate now. They all use to be $49.99 now everyone is going with the $59.99 for a game PC or console. Inflation.

• AngelfireAngelfire Member Posts: 145

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Considering that with digital copies they don't have the added cost of manufacturing/shipping it isn't really justified.

No they just have the cost to maintain servers and bandwidth + storage etc. A friend of mine worked out the math once when I made the same point you did and if you think about all the bandwidth they must need for potentially hundreds of thousands of downloads simultaniously running... its not a small sum and it probably completely offsets the 'save' on shipping and packaging costs. Really all D2D actually accomplishes is convienence for both the distributor and end user, and possibly is a bit better for the planet. I do it cause I live in the middle of nowhere and I'd have to spend another 20$ just on gas to get a physical copy. :p

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by kalinis

/tor is a dx 11 game it requires shader 3.0 and its graphics are actually quite good when u play it. Im tired of people trolling around bashing tors graphics when they just dont like the style they chose

Its getting old either pay the money buy the game play it or dont. Stop whinng about every little thing. 

almost positive this game doesn't support dx11 features.. Which  isn't a bad thing considering most single player games don't even support it.. actually I'm pretty sure its DX9 only still

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

LOL at people that think $60 is a lot of money.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by kalinis

almost positive this game doesn't support dx11 features.. Which  isn't a bad thing considering most single player games don't even support it.. actually I'm pretty sure its DX9 only still

From everything I've read it is certainly not DX11, so your right.  I would love for them to have a DX9 as well as a DX10 client for the game (Hell, DX11 is out, people need to stop trying to use toasters to play new games /endrant).  But I felt that its graphics level matched its art style so it wasnt that bad that its not in DX10 or 11, but with a budget of $150 million I almost expected it.  

Originally posted by rdrpappy

I'm just really greatfull you shared that with everyone, something like a choice on purchasing software escapes most of us and so now I dont feel so alone.

His choice was one made out of necessity.  "Theres no way I can pay for this" means he cant afford it.  I can't afford that Bently I want, but that doesnt mean I'm making a choice to not buy a Bently.