Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Found Oblivion lacking, should I get Skyrim?

MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I am currently trying to get through Oblivion and I'm finding it to be a chore just to start up the game.  I think the game is ultimately lacking in urgency.  I do appreciate the freedom the game allows you, as well as the exploration.  I also appreciate that they are trying to be realistic, but I think they are being realistic to a fault.  Make the game too realistic and things get dull.  However, without urgency/danger/variety I'm finding it very difficult to log back in. 

I'm debating whether to pick up Skyrim or not.  I hope I haven't been too Themeparkified (new word!).  I'm wondering if anyone else out there who found Oblivion boring/dull but are really enjoying Skyrim?

Comments

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

You will never be certain until you try it. I recommend the pc version as the mods make it much more worth it. Plus that will be getting a huge boost when the construction kit for modders is available in January.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

just so that you know.....wile it has a different story and a few tweeks IT IS the same game.

if you didn't really like Oblivion i doubt you'll get much out of Skyrim.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

thats far from true, Skyrim is a revelation compared to oblivion.  I loved morrowind for its atmosphere, Oblivion was a bit dull, Skyrim blows both of them away and takes the best from both while it is at it.  Best bet is go look at videos and reviews if you fancy a look.  

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Skyrim is worth it. Even with the bugs and clunky idiot box UI.

Archlinux ftw

• pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71

Of course. How else would you read The Lusty Argonian Maid: Volume 2?

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I like oblivion but actually never even came close to finishing it. Skyrim- tottaly different for me. I love it and hae played lots of hours. Way more than I played Oblivion. Killing Dragon's just never gets old.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

It's kind of a wash.  There are some good things in comparison to Oblivion but there are also a lot of steps backwards.

The world design and atmosphere are the best thing about the game, I think.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

just so that you know.....wile it has a different story and a few tweeks IT IS the same game.

if you didn't really like Oblivion i doubt you'll get much out of Skyrim.

Sorry, but your generalizing for everyone. I tried Oblivion, couldn't get myself past level 12. I couldn't understand why I didn't want to keep playing. I tried loading Mods like OOO and though that helped, still same problem..would never stay with it. Never got higher than level 12 after 4 attempts. The world just felt lifeless to me and too generic in the dungeons even though I loved the environments.

Now I'm playing Skyrim, only level 16 after about 40 hours of play, but I am absolutely loving it. The graphics are better, the animations are better, I find the world MUCH MORE alive, more interesting things happening all around me, I like the menus better, I don't know, it just feels right. Also, I prefer playing in 3rd person except when inspecting or wanting to see things close up which was impossible to do with Oblivion. 1st person makes me dizzy after a while lol.

Oh...and I'm enjoying it without ANY mods on the PC. I'll add Mods when I have gone through the game once..or at least the main story...but I don't find the need to like I did with Oblivion.

There Is Always Hope!

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by Mardukk

I am currently trying to get through Oblivion and I'm finding it to be a chore just to start up the game.  I think the game is ultimately lacking in urgency.  I do appreciate the freedom the game allows you, as well as the exploration.  I also appreciate that they are trying to be realistic, but I think they are being realistic to a fault.  Make the game too realistic and things get dull.  However, without urgency/danger/variety I'm finding it very difficult to log back in. 

I'm debating whether to pick up Skyrim or not.  I hope I haven't been too Themeparkified (new word!).  I'm wondering if anyone else out there who found Oblivion boring/dull but are really enjoying Skyrim?

Play skyrim it's the game of the year.

Get the pc version and download a bunch of mods eg high textures mods etc so u can play the most stunning game ever.

Bethesdas textures are not good in fact they are awful.Thank god we have those awesome modders and make the game really shine as it should have been when it was released.

• RavencallRavencall Member Posts: 25

Totally agree with Doug.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

If your ulfimate problem with Oblvion is the fact that you can deviate from the main storyline and go off and do your own thing?

Then Skyrim is not for you.

But I find it odd that someone can claim the game lacks of a sense of urgency when its the player's own choice to make things urgently completed or not.  If you want to do the main storyline, then do it... Their dialogue and presentation more than makes it sound urgent, even if there's not a coded clock ticking in the background forcing you to do the quests non-stop until the story is complete. 

It sounds to me that you (the original poster) seem to like games that are more on rails than The Elder Scrolls series.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Gonna go with MY personal experience, which I believe is what you (OP) are asking for...

Morrowind is still my favorite game of all-time (you didn't ask, just telling you =P)

Oblivion - I just couldn't get into it.  The story didn't grab me, the way to level your skills was completely back-assward...I just couldn't do it, no matter how many times I tried.

Skyrim is awesome.  Had I not played Morrowind, I think Skyrim would take the "all-time favorite" title.  I'm having a great time with it, and that's without any mods.  The great thing about it is that it's always there.  A huge world to explore whenever I want to.  I'll be playing this Star Wars-themed MMO (you may have heard of it) in the upcoming week, so Skyrim will go on the backburner for a little bit.  But there'll be those times when I'm Start Warsed out, and back to Skyrim I go.

tl;dr Get Skyrim.  It's gud.

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

Skyrim won VGA Game of the Year. and 2 other trophies.

The game is awesome! If your PC is high-end and u get to experience it in ultra high settings then ur mind will b blown! Simplez!

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

Morrowind seemed rather slooooow to me.

I thought Oblivion was dull.

Skyrim ROCKS!

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I didn't get more than 6 or 7 hours into Oblivion. I didn't even close the first oblivion gate before I lost interest.  I've put 120+ hours into Skyrim though :)  Not that anyone's personal experiences should really influence you.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I love the world in Skyrim. I didnt like it much in Oblivion. Also the autolvling of mobs is something I didnt expect to like. In Oblivion it just didnt look right how at some point you would find highway bandits wearing very expensive glass or ebon armour, while trying to shake you down for a few gold. In Skyrim they made this more immersive with the way that armourrating for each armourset can be scaled. So bandits will look like ragged bandits wearing leather, iron and their leader maybe in more expensive looking armour.

So for me Skyrim is a lot more immersive. There are more reaons for me, but these jumped out at me right away.

EDIT : Forgot to say that I really like melee combat in Skyrim. Forgot how it was in Oblivion in comparison though.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Well, it seems pretty overwhelming that Skyrim is a different and much better animal than Oblivion. I really agree with one poster saying that the Oblivion world is lifeless and the auto leveling of the mobs was a silly idea. As long as I go in expecting a poor UI, I should be good.

I'll definitely be picking Skyrim up. Thanks much for the help everyone.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i p layed oblivion didnt like it and still tried out skyrim and turns out i didnt like skyrim either. if u dont like teh other elder scrolls games u probably wont like skyrim

not saying its not a well made pretty game it is. I just thought the skill leveling system was clunky and quests all over the place adn just wasnt the game for me 

U may like it though. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by kalinis

i p layed oblivion didnt like it and still tried out skyrim and turns out i didnt like skyrim either. if u dont like teh other elder scrolls games u probably wont like skyrim

not saying its not a well made pretty game it is. I just thought the skill leveling system was clunky and quests all over the place adn just wasnt the game for me 

U may like it though. 

Overall, did you like Skyrim better than Oblivion?

I didn't play Morrowind, I think I was too busy playing Baldur's Gate at the time, actually I was playing EQ during MW's release (now that I look it up).

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I thought of one other major difference. In Oblivion, it really took away from the game that it felt like only 7 or so people were behind the voices. Here the same person over and over again ruined the immersion. In Skyrim, they have like 70 or so actors which is more than enough variety to make things feel fresh in each city.

There Is Always Hope!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Just speaking for myself I never got very far in Oblivion.  it bored me.  I'm about 130 hours into Skyrim though and still having fun. I imagine I'll slow down though now that TOR is launching.

Skyrim is a great game though.  Again, speaking for myself...playing games since the 1980's...it's on my short list of greats.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I personally couldn't stand Oblivion, but I absolutely love Skyrim.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I found Skyrim to be of a relaxed pacing much like Oblivion.  I don't think you will like it much more than Oblivion, although it is obviously a better game.  Very similar though...  Great game.  It is difficult to understand why someone may not like it except to say that maybe you have not played it enough or explored the different options within it enough.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by Mardukk

I would say pick up skyrim..

I could never get on with oblivion, after the first tower i would just get bored. .was totally different for me with Skyrim and im still having great fun playing it now and I had it on the day of release.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Originally posted by Terranah

Just speaking for myself I never got very far in Oblivion.  it bored me.  I'm about 130 hours into Skyrim though and still having fun. I imagine I'll slow down though now that TOR is launching.

Skyrim is a great game though.  Again, speaking for myself...playing games since the 1980's...it's on my short list of greats.

I absolutely agree with everything in this post (apart from the SWtOR part (I don't like the game)).

I only logged a few hours in Oblivion due to finding it very slow-paced and I found the combat felt too remote; I felt like a bystander.

According to Steam, I have 238 hours logged into Skyrim now. I admit I rushed the first play-through due to sheer excitement at the unfolding story, so I rolled another toon and am currently playing through in a different way.