Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so Expensive?

Comments

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

If you are at a point in your life where you feel it is worth arguing on the internet over a mere 10 dollars extra (50 - 60) then perhaps you better sit back and reflect on life and how you might improve your situation to the point ten extra dollars does not stop you from enjoying what you want to do.  Just a thought....

Full Sail University - Game Design

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I don't need to be any more detailed when I say this...they don't need your 15 dollars per month.

Any way I don't know why they need the extra money, maybe to make a huge profit but the llittle 15 dollars per month will be pocket change for them, they could if they wanted to just charge 60 dollars with no sub. Though for them it's all about getting that paper any way.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Maybe its an American thing but over here in the UK games do not average at $60, even when converted to British pounds. Sure big blockbusters like Modern Warfare have costed more on the PS3/360, but pc games are always cheaper over here and not only that, MMO's are cheaper still. Ive bought my fair share of MMO's from the shops and i remember seeing Rift on sale in game and that was £30-ish. £45 is virtually unheard of for a MMO or a pc game in Britain. Hope this isn't going to be the trend or ill be waiting for the prices to plummet from now on.

Yea same here in Poland.

PC games are cheaper than console ones, simply because when selling a console game, certain % goes to Microsoft or Sony.

That's why consoles cost few hundred bucks max, and not 1000$ + cause Sony / MS earn money on every game sold by others on their consoles.

So if someone sell PC game version at same price as same game for Xbox / PS, then dear PC user you're getting scr**ed.

Just for info cause nowadays many ppl don't know that. (it was common knowegedle in PS1 times...)

Well in US it cost $60 for Skyrim pc or console, this is the norm nowadays. Only Rift physical was $60, its digital was $45-50 (don't recall exactly), however the digital for PC for most games nowadays is around $60 too...which is just silly. Funny thing is many consoles are planning to make digital versions of games cheaper than the physical with their next generation consoles, I guess PC devs think that it's ok to be greedier than the console nowadays just because of PC gamings growing popularity...

This is what newer PC gamers talk about when they say PC gaming is getting more expensive. It used to be that the initial high cost of creating the gaming computer was cancelled out by cheaper games...not anymore. Anyway, I've only been playing console and indie computer games recently, so I'm not exactly being screwed as a PC gamer.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Originally posted by pmaura

yep this game is worth 60 bucks easy, hell Kingdom of Amur or whatever that new game is, the collectors edition is $250

Please tell me you're joking!

He is not.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/12/09/ea-reveal-3-special-editions-for-kingdom-of-amalur-reckoning/

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

yep this game is worth 60 bucks easy, hell Kingdom of Amur or whatever that new game is, the collectors edition is $250

my mistake 275

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106017-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-special-collectors-and-signature-editions-announced.html

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Zekiah

We are all just frogs in water, feel free to jump out any time you like.

Ignorance is bliss :)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by fistorm

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

Yep it is expensive. It's starwars and its xmas... wait for january, maybe it goes down a little.

• FuuManChew35FuuManChew35 Member UncommonPosts: 22

keep in mind it comes with a month of gameplay already payed for (15 dollar value). So really the game is only 45 dollars.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by sammyeli

Maybe its an American thing but over here in the UK games do not average at $60, even when converted to British pounds. Sure big blockbusters like Modern Warfare have costed more on the PS3/360, but pc games are always cheaper over here and not only that, MMO's are cheaper still. Ive bought my fair share of MMO's from the shops and i remember seeing Rift on sale in game and that was £30-ish. £45 is virtually unheard of for a MMO or a pc game in Britain. Hope this isn't going to be the trend or ill be waiting for the prices to plummet from now on.

See this is what I am talking about, I have never seen a "MMO" for 60 bucks.

Thats because TOR is the first to charge that much. Console games yes $60 and the PC version has been $50. An MMO has never cost $60 until now.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Drekker17

Originally posted by fenistil

Yea same here in Poland.

PC games are cheaper than console ones, simply because when selling a console game, certain % goes to Microsoft or Sony.

That's why consoles cost few hundred bucks max, and not 1000$ + cause Sony / MS earn money on every game sold by others on their consoles.

So if someone sell PC game version at same price as same game for Xbox / PS, then dear PC user you're getting scr**ed.

Just for info cause nowadays many ppl don't know that. (it was common knowegedle in PS1 times...)

Well in US it cost $60 for Skyrim pc or console, this is the norm nowadays. Only Rift physical was $60, its digital was $45-50 (don't recall exactly), however the digital for PC for most games nowadays is around $60 too...which is just silly. Funny thing is many consoles are planning to make digital versions of games cheaper than the physical with their next generation consoles, I guess PC devs think that it's ok to be greedier than the console nowadays just because of PC gamings growing popularity...

This is what newer PC gamers talk about when they say PC gaming is getting more expensive. It used to be that the initial high cost of creating the gaming computer was cancelled out by cheaper games...not anymore. Anyway, I've only been playing console and indie computer games recently, so I'm not exactly being screwed as a PC gamer.

Yea. Kinda sad.  I just hope same situation does not happen in my country.

Cause publishers just earn much more money per game on PC than on console version cause they don't need to share with Sony / MS.

Yea they do plan to have digital versions cause :

a) more money per copy

b) will allow to sell additional stuff (DLC, microtransaction,etc) best thing is that cause consoles are closed stuff opposed  to PC. Microsoft and Sony if they decide to they'll be able to have monopoly on digital sales. No competition from 3rd party sale sites like Steam, Origin, Gog, D2Drive, etc

Same business strategy like Apple :)

At consumer expense though....

Originally posted by Rusty715

Originally posted by sammyeli

See this is what I am talking about, I have never seen a "MMO" for 60 bucks.

Thats because TOR is the first to charge that much. Console games yes $60 and the PC version has been $50. An MMO has never cost $60 until now.

Funny thing is, there shouldn't be a reason to change it.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

has no one heard ever of inflation? Eventually prices go up as the dominant currency, in this case the dollar, gets weaker. Want to know why it is $60? Look at the state of economics for the last few years.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

my mistake 275

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106017-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-special-collectors-and-signature-editions-announced.html

Thats crazy!!! Does make coffee for you while you're playing to help you stay awake?  You get a solid gold figurine, what??  I mean  its gotta come with something.  Hell, I don't even know much about the game, but I'm gonna have to check it out just to see what it is.  Is it an MMO that I'm not aware of??

I self identify as a monkey.

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

because its not cheap?

Originally posted by Kainis

has no one heard ever of inflation? Eventually prices go up as the dominant currency, in this case the dollar, gets weaker. Want to know why it is $60? Look at the state of economics for the last few years.

Ok so then another mmo comes out at the price of 50 dollars next year...then?

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by fistorm

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

Um, you do understand that ~$50 or $60 is pretty standard for major releases these days, right? Just look at anything by a major studio in 2011 and you'll see my point. The price of the Digital Deluxe edition pretty much corresponds to most collector's editions, and the SWTOR collector's edition matches the price of other collector's editions that contain big items like statues: Skyrim, for example.

So the pricing is standard, plus you get early game access and your first month of game time. So I don't know what you are whining about. These pricing tiers are hardly novel or exorbitant.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

my mistake 275

Thats crazy!!! Does make coffee for you while you're playing to help you stay awake?  You get a solid gold figurine, what??  I mean  its gotta come with something.  Hell, I don't even know much about the game, but I'm gonna have to check it out just to see what it is.  Is it an MMO that I'm not aware of??

No but the production run is LIMITED and you get autographs by either Seth McFarlane (spawn), R.A. Salvatore (writer), or Curt Shilling (baseball player).  That's kinda bad arse if you ask me. Not 275 bad arse.  But still those aren't small fry names.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Its so expensive because we dont take a stand. We take all the crap they throw at us showing them that its okay to increase the prices, we dont care, we are dumb gamers flocking to the over priced games.

IF TOR gamers did not buy the game the first day, a standof, it would show them but it wont happen.

By we I mean you all, I wont buy this game at all and I am not buying games the first few months after they are out. Peace out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

pretty much it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Sovrath

pretty much it.

I remember paying 40-50 bucks a pop for orginal nintendo games when they were first released.. so really the prices haven't gone up that much at all considering how much more goes into games these days

Originally posted by Flex1

Its so expensive because we dont take a stand. We take all the crap they throw at us showing them that its okay to increase the prices, we dont care, we are dumb gamers flocking to the over priced games.

IF TOR gamers did not buy the game the first day, a standof, it would show them but it wont happen.

By we I mean you all, I wont buy this game at all and I am not buying games the first few months after they are out. Peace out.

Did you not see the post on inflation?

Part of it is also what the market will bear, I wouldn't deny that. Games have been stuck at a certain price point for quite a while. However, all people have to do i check out what the difference is by using one of many inflation calculators.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Wouldn't it be awesome if games were always priced to be based on the current value of a dollar?  One day you go in and the game is 60.53, the next week the value of the dollar rose so the new price is say like 58.20.  People who want the most "bang for their buck" would actually have to learn something about economics.  

I know the price wouldnt change too much day to day, but at least people wouldnt be devolving into idiotic consumers who dont understand the reasoning behind market trends.

Originally posted by sanosukex

pretty much it.

I remember paying 40-50 bucks a pop for orginal nintendo games when they were first released.. so really the prices haven't gone up that much at all considering how much more goes into games these days

so true. What year are you talking about and we can see. I think there is something like a 10 dollar difference between today and 2004.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by sanosukex

pretty much it.

so true. What year are you talking about and we can see. I think there is something like a 10 dollar difference between today and 2004.

that was like in the late 80's.. i remember the "BIG" games generally cost 40-50 then the lesser ones for about 25-30

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by RizelStar

Ok so then another mmo comes out at the price of 50 dollars next year...then?

No. At the rate of everything else these days, I wouldn't be suprised to see $65-$70 base prices for AAA MMOs this time next year. The fact that they managed to stay at one price point for so long while everything else including milk was going up, is nearly miraculous.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."