Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MW3 - What happened?

77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
I dont know about everyone else but I was severely dissapointed by MW3. Not so much by thr gameplay itself considering it hasnt changed much over the years but more about the little things. First of all, every map is ridiculously open ended. And by that I mean theres so many different routes and viewpoints to take its hard to keep someone from shooting you in the back. The original CoD maps on the PC were the perfect mix of bottlenecks and different paths IMO. Also, the text on the customization screen is really small and hard to read. I have good vision so thats not the issue. And last but not least the maps all looks similiar and you cant jump on things like you could in previous games. Everything feels like its blocked off by barriers. That was part of the fun of the original Call of Duty, being able to platform yourself into a unique spot to shoot from. Now its just "stay along these set paths and try to cover the 57 different ways a person could shoot you from". Maybe I'm just a jaded classic CoD player but I feel like Infinity Ward really droppedmthe ball on thos one and everyone still plays it simply because its new, and the name Modern Warfare is on it.

Comments

• LafinatuLafinatu Member Posts: 48

About your complaints I don't know but I don't think it's much of a issue most people. So, what happened? Nothing Activsion is bring in the cash.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-2011-project/1214557p1.html 

High Five FTW!

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

The better question is what happened to CoD?

Bobby Kotick happened.

He turned it into a Madden-esque franchise that spits new games out on an annual basis with incremental improvements over the last version.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Thats what makes me sad, that a game can go downhill and earn MORE revenue. Same thing happened to Madden, EA got the lock on NFL licensing and once NFL 2k got shut down(which was a better game in every aspect IMO) they just sent out the same game every year but with updated rosters and some different skins and soundtracks. Kind of sad that Modern Warfare is going down that route

@8BitAvatar

Im on mobile so I didnt see your post til after mine but yes thats exactly what Im mad about. If you ever notice a lot of CoD maps are the same layout just different skins (Wasteland from MW2 = Brecourt from CoD classic)
  • Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

I agree completely with the OP. They negated any ability to cover flanking, which they have been trending towards for the past few COD's. I was bothered by the fact you can't climb on much as well. Spawning in all the maps is terrible. I cannot count the number of times I have litterally watched someone spawn directly in my sights... pull the trigger and they are dead. And of coarse when I spawn in someone's sights it pisses me off. The franchise is headed downhill, although I don't think that will show in thier sales. Makes me mad I bought COD instead of Battlefield 3 :/ Of coarse, I wouldn't play either if I could find a decent sandbox, but that is for another thread.

Often lurking, rarely posting

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

IMO BF3 is so much better than MW3 and I was really looking forward to MW3!! (Mainly the multi player but the single player is a bit better in BF3 too). I still play and enjoy both though

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Uh, Infinity Ward didn't make this one did they?

Thought it was Sledgehammer games or something.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I'm just simply amazed that for three times, people paid for full price for the same game.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

MW3 is a map pack.  I just watched an amazing video of BF3 today where a guy in a jet is being followed by another jet, he heads straight up in the air, jumps out, hits the pursuing jet with a rocket launcher and then falls back into the jet and keeps on flying.  He loaded it on youtube to the theme of the A Team.  You dont have awesome moments like that in MW3.  BF3 didnt outsell MW3 but it is gaining and more people are getting tired of paying $60 for a map pack so I dont see them breaking any records on the next one.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

Originally posted by Talonsin

MW3 is a map pack.  I just watched an amazing video of BF3 today where a guy in a jet is being followed by another jet, he heads straight up in the air, jumps out, hits the pursuing jet with a rocket launcher and then falls back into the jet and keeps on flying.  He loaded it on youtube to the theme of the A Team.  You dont have awesome moments like that in MW3.  BF3 didnt outsell MW3 but it is gaining and more people are getting tired of paying $60 for a map pack so I dont see them breaking any records on the next one.

I want that link!

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

Kids multiplied.

Thats what happenz...

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Soraksis

I want that link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaGhE_sejI Pure Epic Kill

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by uohaloran

Uh, Infinity Ward didn't make this one did they?

Thought it was Sledgehammer games or something.

Correct, still published by ActiBlizz though, which is where the problem lies.  Its still running on the same engine as all the previous games of the series, so ActiBlizz just gave them that.

Actually, according to the Wiki, sledgehammer was working on an action adventure, third person shooter under the CoD name but was forced to cancel the project (they were working since 2009) and help IW make MW3 because so many of IW's staff quit (around 50 people).

So, basically, they were doing something kid of new, and Activison said no.  Bout sums up the whole situation.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

It is amazing how a company can put out virtually the same product and have people gobble it up like revenous animals..

MW3 has reached the 1 BILLION DOLLAR mark...its ridiculous..

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by tank017

It is amazing how a company can put out virtually the same product and have people gobble it up like revenous animals..

Your right, same with the Halo series and GoW

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by Sourd420

Originally posted by Soraksis

I want that link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaGhE_sejI Pure Epic Kill

that is ridiculous....

as i've posted in other posts, its not that i don't want to try bf3, its not that i prefer mw3 over bf3, its just that all my friends play mw3. the time i enjoy playing most is with my friends online. so i don't see why i would buy a game that 0 of my friends have. 

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

The better question is what didn't happen.  Yet again, the prayers of millions of gamers go unanswered, and the Activision crew skates by another year without developing canceraids.

• ScalperOneScalperOne Member Posts: 281

COD became a milking cow, each year a new one and the consumers keep buying it. Soon you be paying the full price for a game and only getting new levels, or worse you would end up paying a monthly fee of $9.99... + cost of game + map packs.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Aquazen

Originally posted by tank017

Your right, same with the Halo series and GoW

What?

None of the Halo games were completely identical to the previous game, each coming with new weapons, new tools, and new mechanics. From Halo Combat Evolved to Halo 2's streamlined multiplayer support and new weapons- to Halo 3's forge, new vehicles, and support weapons- to Reach's armor abilities, Forge World and firefight (taken from ODST but still notable).

And at least they updated the graphics and polygon count of the game considerably with each sequel. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 looks like DLC for MW2. It looks and plays like the exact. Same. Engine.

I would argue that Gears of War had substantial upgrades through it's series, but I feel like it'd be a lost cause. If a SEQUEL isn't doing something completely new and detached from it's predecessors in every feasible way, it's just another mindless, generic rehash. At least, that's how way too many think. You can go ahead and call me a fanboy, but comparing the level of difference between MW2-MW3 to Gears and Halo series is reeaalllly stretching it.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

What happened? Judging from what I see in videos nothing... (Nothing has changed it's the same exact game.)

• BigjitBigjit Member Posts: 59

Well, from my point of view I could care less about the "map pack" syndrome. While it is fast becoming an issue, the hackers are KILLING that game. I won't buy another one most likely because I'm playing ToR now. If I ever do buy another MW game for the PC it will have servers. That lobby crap may be okay for the console crowd but without mods to kick/ban asshats hacking your just asking for it.

MW3 is hacked into the ground. I wouldn't even waste my time if your thinking of buying it for the PC. Add to that the single player game is about 4 hours long......lol.

• XforsakerXXforsakerX Member UncommonPosts: 124

i own both for the PC and i am way more thrilled logging into BF3 than MW3 , in my honest opinion, like stated by the above people, MW3 just felt like a Map Pack, Map's tended to look similar to the previous's games map's.  I didnt feel any enjoyment out of MW3 like i do BF3....Just wait, Battlefield 3 will surpass this CoD title

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    6142MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Antec Gaming Phenom
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Unless you STOP BUYING CoD / MW you'll be served same old (or worse) every year.

Best thing is that people complain at CoD at least since CoD4 like it is going downhill, etc but still if you read ANY gaming forum, there is dozens upon dozens of people that HAD BOUGHT CoD and compaining.

Seriously - you want to see better games? Stop buying CoD every year finally. Seriously it is that simple.

Unless you love to buy same game every year and then compain about it every year.

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

The better question is what happened to CoD?

Bobby Kotick happened.

He turned it into a Madden-esque franchise that spits new games out on an annual basis with incremental improvements over the last version.

Very true. Although i haven't been playing the cod franchise for very long (since mw2) i'm already bored of it. there isn't much difference in terms of gameplay to me(i dont notice the little things). The only thing different to me from black ops and mw3 is the guns and the maps. Basically its the same thing. I prefer black ops since i could hold a claymore along with grenades. you can't do that anymore. plus i hate all the maps on mw3. none of them are even remotely fun. at least when i was on black ops i liked nuketown (lol smallest map) but at least i enjoyed SOMETHING. 

but in the end, i'm still going to play mw3 since all my friends do. thats really the only time i enjoy the game. 

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Want to know what happened?

Battlefield 3 happened.  :)

Originally posted by xeniar

Want to know what happened?

Battlefield 3 happened.  :)

Not for those who haven't played BF3 yet =P