Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta in December BRILLIANT MARKETING!

13»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

re: closed beta starting in December not Open beta - It's been in closed beta since may

re: open beta - open beta can mean different things, it can mean NDA lift, it doesn't have to mean "free trial for everyone"

re: canada - lots of games companies are relocating to canada for tax breaks, it's got nothing to do with a wealth of programing talent, lots of US, UK & French games companies are doing this too

re: EA - Its a co-publisher arangement, much like Valve used to have, EA help with distribution of boxes & marketing in return for a cut.  EA don't own Funcom unlike say Bioware or Mythic.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by EduardoASG

@ the op

dont believe it. i dont know where did you get your info but im 99% positive its false info.

Funcom, also known as Failcom and other more insulting designations given by most of the players who got to play their software, will never:

a) release an unbugged game, ever.

b) release a 'normal' open beta with most of the game acessible.

c) release a game with the adviced features included.

Funcom will..

a) sell you a limited time and content beta acess so you can only play a bit of the crap they making and not realize youre buying a piece of bugged unfinnished badly coded bulldung.

b) sell you a game promising features they dont have cash or know how for or they not even thinking implementing.

c) ban you form their forums the moment you post your honest opinion there, and/or complain about the badly service provided.

a) No mmo ever released has had 0 bugs.

b) You don't know this. All you're going on is AOC.

c) Again, this is a 100% your angry guess

One game developed by a different team for Funcom has totally soured your opinion of them ever releasing a quality game?

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by Sorrow

By going open beta on or around the SWTOR launch, The secret world team give they bored gamers out there an option to pull us away from buying SWTOR just out of boredom.

This is HUGE marketing magic, and very very smart for a game that plans to release shortly after SWTOR with the same distribution model.

Hopefully EA doesn't try and nix this move.

Heres a fun fact for ya... Funcom devoloped a hit mmo 11 years ago by the name of anarchy online...

Funcom  would need to unbrand this game if its gonna be successfull...but its funcom so chances are it wont find success either way...

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Why do I get the feeling this game is being rushed out.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Ya I love all the hate on Funcom, we all know no other MMO out there has never messed up, even the holy grail of all MMO's has had its share of problems  and bugs, and poor choices on the direction of the game.

But I think all of us will feel this for every single mmo since none will be just to our liking.

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by Slowdoves

Has been in develvopement since before AoC so maybe put some salve on that "feeling"?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

funny looking at your ID tags

As I get the feeling SWTOR is being rushed out.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Can't wait for open beta. 2 weeks more till this month ends though.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

By going open beta on or around the SWTOR launch, <blah blah>

Originally posted by Bandar83

Quoted from their website:  
    Open beta will not be initiated before Christmas, but will be a part of our strategy next year prior to our April 2012 launch.    

After the OP's post and this reply two posts later, how did this thread get to six pages?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Dayzon

Has been in develvopement since before AoC so maybe put some salve on that "feeling"?

Well heres a question,  is the game currently in testing?  I know they were requesting beta applicants,  but usually you hear something by now about people getting in.

That would be my only concern at this point,  is that the game is adequately tested.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'm not saying all games need extensive testing - (such as the 2 year testing SWTOR went through)  but, April really isn't that far away.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

not to be all doom and gloom .. but how is this game ready for OB?

oh thats right .. it's funcom.

good luck I s'pose .. im gonna have to wait till a few months after release on this one I think.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by popinjay
    By going open beta on or around the SWTOR launch, <blah blah>Originally posted by Bandar83 Quoted from their website:  
    Open beta will not be initiated before Christmas, but will be a part of our strategy next year prior to our April 2012 launch.    
    After the OP's post and this reply two posts later, how did this thread get to six pages?

Because....

It's mmorpg.com, and more people are interested in ignoring fact and presenting their own opinon as fact. Truth/fact usually get's checked at the station here.

• DarVashielDarVashiel Member UncommonPosts: 80

I had to ROFL at this. It wouldn't matter if the game was being released tomorrow.

I'm not touching anything Funcom. On top of it, there are not enough people who are going to be pulled away from SWTOR to even care.

This is just my personal opinion of course.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by DarVashiel

I had to ROFL at this. It wouldn't matter if the game was being released tomorrow.

I'm not touching anything Funcom. On top of it, there are not enough people who are going to be pulled away from SWTOR to even care.

I don't know how long you played in TOR beta, if at all, but i've been in since April.

I'm ready for a game with actual challenge, depth, and freedom. I don't know if TSW will give me that , but TOR sure as hell didn't. I was sick of TOR within a week.

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Dayzon

Well heres a question,  is the game currently in testing?  I know they were requesting beta applicants,  but usually you hear something by now about people getting in.

That would be my only concern at this point,  is that the game is adequately tested.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'm not saying all games need extensive testing - (such as the 2 year testing SWTOR went through)  but, April really isn't that far away.

They had "hired" closed beta testers earlier this year, and have had some closed beta with a limmited number of regular players in the past couple of months. 

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

plenty of ppl wont touch swtor with 10 foot pole, its for carebear pver with garbage pvp.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

plenty of ppl wont touch swtor with 10 foot pole, its for carebear pver with garbage pvp.

I'm one of them. 0 interest in a themepark MMO with...omg cut-scenes!! Is it 2012 yet? Can't come soon enough lol

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• russellb1975russellb1975 Member Posts: 50

Yawn, Secret World....Funcom....another F2P game three months after release.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

Originally posted by floreairfoot

I don't know how long you played in TOR beta, if at all, but i've been in since April.

I'm ready for a game with actual challenge, depth, and freedom. I don't know if TSW will give me that , but TOR sure as hell didn't. I was sick of TOR within a week.

I couldn't agree with you more flore. 

Am I wrong for wanting another MMO like old school EQ1