Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Hands-on Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

DO NOT READ THIS ARTICLE IF YOU HATE SPOILERS! MMORPG.com has a first hand preview of 38 Studios' Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning. As most know, Amalur is the single-player RPG that will precede the MMO to come in the future. See what we discovered about Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning and then let us know what you think!

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you probably should have heard of this upcoming game. Perhaps not the name but surely the circumstances and people involved. This game is created by 38 Studios – the game studio that Curt Schilling, formerly of the MLB and avid player (and former spokesperson) of SoE’s EverQuest founded. The team he put together includes award winning writer R.A. Salvatore, artist Todd McFarlane of Spawn fame and Ken Rolston of Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion fame. Beginning to sound familiar? We covered their first reveal at Comic Con 2010. Since then, 38 Studios acquired Big Huge Games of Rise of Nations fame and MMORPG.com was invited to a gameplay preview in October.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Kingdoms of Amalur: Hands-on Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rommelivrommeliv Member Posts: 7

Pre-ordered today on Amazon =)  It's on sale for $50.99 (15% off) for the digital download and you don't pay anything until the release date!

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Anyone know if this will be on Steam?

If not ill buy it on 360.

I hate using other digital distributors.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Word is they are working on getting it on steam, I read that Curt Schilling posted that they are hoping to get it on there soon.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Oh why do you tease me....... lol. 

This is one game where it would be hard for it to not live up to the hype. The team they have is just unprecedented in the world of gaming. 

My money was ready awhile ago with just the following.... R.A. Salvatore, Ken Rolsten, Todd McFarlane and the first gameplay vid shown a bit ago. 

I was actually looking forward to this title more than I was looking forward to Skyrim, Skyrim just happened to launch first. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Hope against hope they can put a decent UI along with it, that really killed Skyrim for me.

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

So highly hyped for this game it is not funny.  So is my wife.  I think she is more excited than me for this game.

Hope it lives up to its hype...Which I forsee it doing!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Thanks for the reminder, just pre-ordered

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

So the limited editions went up... they are very limited... get them while they are hot lol... wish I had the money :(

http://limitededitions.reckoning.com/

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

just ordered the signature edition, too bad i'll never open it. I'll wait for steam for my playcopy

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Nice.  Hope it gets on steam soon. I'd like to get this as part of my familiarization with the mmo.

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Hope against hope they can put a decent UI along with it, that really killed Skyrim for me.

Christ u guys want everything to b perfect...

• CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

Actually, I loved the UI. Very spare. But the way they've designed the game and the skills, there's no need for multiple hot-bars. We were joking about some games which require multiple upon multiples of hot-bars.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I like the UI of skyrim.  I don't need half my screen to be filled with damage meters, mini-maps, quest logs, and what nots.  I'd rather just have a compass and be shown which skill i have equipped...that's all i need, and all i really want.  My biggest hate on WoW is that you can make a UI where you just hit 1 button and you win every battle...boring.  I like old school where you didn't have a UI.../quit from daoc anyone? :)

• gruntmaster1gruntmaster1 Member Posts: 1

As someone who only has a PC and no controller I thank you for being almost the only ones trying the game with mouse and keyboard, were you using that all the time? How was the rest of the ui (inventory, other menues, etc.)? Were there any problems (as in game working against you) during combat, such as targeting?

• malrodmalrod Member Posts: 87

cant wait for the release, for once the hype and the expectations seem to be equal.

live long and prosper
    strength and honor

if urgent do it yourself
    if you have time-delegate it
    if you have forever-form a committee

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

If this turns out to be really good, too, I'll have no time to play MMOs between this and Skyrim!

Though I am looking forward to hearing about their MMO project as well. :)

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

My backlog of games is insane. Literally 40 games purchased the last three years that i've yet to complete.

Ill wait for this one to hit a Steam sale.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Looking forward to this one, sw:tor should keep me happy until this is released in February, then April for TSW then wait for GW2, should be a good gaming year :)

• gehrig38gehrig38 Member Posts: 25

The UI was very specifically built, with a ton of time and effort, to be as good a game as possible on the PC. It was mandated very early on to NOT be the usual late game port to PC for PC's sake.

I'm as excited for you guys to see the DLC as anything, the implementation and value, I hope, will change the industry or at least the genre in what players expect from DLC.

Given this game is going to debut the Amalur universe, and set up the world for Copernicus, the MMO, I couldn't be prouder of the team and what they accomplished.

FWIW our QA lab has been playing a run through, fast travel, every quest, no other game play, to see who can finish first. At last count it was nearly 200 hours and not over yet.

World and game are huge.

Curt Schilling
    Chairman, Founder, 38 Studios
    Geek

FYI, I believe Gehrig38 is Curt Schilling himself.  That is his twitter username.  He is a regular poster on the Kingdom of Amalur forums.  I'm new over there myself, just because I didn't know they had a forum up yet.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/

Curt posts under the name Ngruk on the forums.

• gehrig38gehrig38 Member Posts: 25

Yep, apologies, this is Curt for whatever that is worth:)

Curt Schilling
    Chairman, Founder, 38 Studios
    Geek

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

It sounds very good, and I love that they have all those starting areas, they did not have to have as much starter area content imo....If they did it like a lot of other game companies and skimp there...About everything coming out now has 1-2 start areas, even for MMOs.

I may pick this up, I generally don't get single player RPGs, but it does sound good, and I hope it does very good and makes a ton of cash for them, so they can put that towards a good mmo that hopefully isn't a cookie cutter railed clone that everyone makes nowadays.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    At first glance I thought the title of this article was "kingdom of amateurs" haha

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

I ordered mine some time ago from Amazon. I look forward to playing it. Some of the info you wrote is new to me. I am really looking forward to Copernicus.

Anyway the game sounds fun. I love the idea of so many quests and none of you being done yet .

• CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

Originally posted by gruntmaster1

As someone who only has a PC and no controller I thank you for being almost the only ones trying the game with mouse and keyboard, were you using that all the time? How was the rest of the ui (inventory, other menues, etc.)? Were there any problems (as in game working against you) during combat, such as targeting?

Yes, I was using only mouse and keyboard. Heh... getting to inventory, skills, quests, etc. pauses the game - use was pretty intuitive though.  No, no problems, which is why I am so impressed. We were warned it wasn't a final build and to please pardon them if we ran into any bugs, but throughout my 2 hours with the new character and rest of the time with the pre-built characters, I didn't have any problems.

I really liked how the camera worked with you when you had many enemies. You have to face your enemy to attack, but generally (in easy mode anyway) as long as you were partially facing them, you could target and attack.

I also liked that the game asked me if I wanted to go to an easier version after I died too many embarrassing times trying to get through a trapped corridor.  :P  Before I found that I had blink.  :P

Carolyn

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.