Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 Sandiest Sandbox MMO's.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by username509

It is obvious to me that most people posting simply didn't read the article.  If they did they wouldn't be mentioning SWG, or UO at all.  

Seems like you probably should have given a better overview of your blog, or at least relay the criteria you had for 'sandiest'.

Might want to edit something like that into the OP.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

http://sandboxer.org/?p=313

Sandboxer lists the top 5 sandiest sandbox MMO's.  The mods forbid me from copy pasta entire news articles, but this basically sums it up.

1. Wurm

2. Xyson

3. Eve

4. Mortal Online

5. Darkfall

What do you guy think?  If Eve was on the list why wasn't perpetuum on that list? Is wurm really the sandiest sandbox MMO?

Keep in mind your going to want to read the article before posting.  Yes, it mentions SWG and UO.  

Why write a topic about this ?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

I did read the article.

I think UO and SWG are both very sandy and can stand toe-to-toe with those on the list.

That's my opinion though, just like the author has his.

*shrugs*

I share thy opinion, 8Bit

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Originally posted by someforumguy

I dont care about a spelling mistake now and then, especially if its clearly a typo. But this writer doesnt seem to understand the difference between their and there . Or your and you're. And this complaint is coming from someone whose motherlanguage isnt even English.

'and a few MMO’s that have lost there sandyness over the years'

'This list explores only released MMO’s in there current state.'

'Darkfall is a full loot and open pvp game were your not artificially limited by what level you are. '

Then I stopped reading. This annoyed me.

How are you able to read anything on the internet if those things annoy you?

Poor grammar and spelling is everywhere on the web!

Your not someforumguy your thatguy everyone roll there eye at when a post like this is made.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by someforumguy

I dont care about a spelling mistake now and then, especially if its clearly a typo. But this writer doesnt seem to understand the difference between their and there . Or your and you're. And this complaint is coming from someone whose motherlanguage isnt even English.

'and a few MMO’s that have lost there sandyness over the years'

'This list explores only released MMO’s in there current state.'

'Darkfall is a full loot and open pvp game were your not artificially limited by what level you are. '

Then I stopped reading. This annoyed me.

Their's no problem with that article, I dunno what your talking about.

(You're right :P). You'd figure that, even on the Internet, people could take time to write properly if they want to be seen as credible.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Sandboxer lists the top 5 sandiest sandbox MMO's.  The mods forbid me from copy pasta entire news articles, but this basically sums it up.

1. Wurm

2. Xyson

3. Eve

4. Mortal Online

5. Darkfall

What do you guy think?  If Eve was on the list why wasn't perpetuum on that list? Is wurm really the sandiest sandbox MMO?

Keep in mind your going to want to read the article before posting.  Yes, it mentions SWG and UO.  

No idea what to say about the list really, I don't agree with it and I've no idea why anyone would. 

EvE, Wurm, Xyson, Minecraft, UO, SWG (Old SWG I should say) and Fallen Earth are the only ones I can think of that even qualify as sandbox MMO's. 

MO and DFO are PvP MMO's and a far cry from Sandbox. 

Perpetuum is about in the same boat as MO and DFO. 

But that does bring into light that the PvP aspect is what the author is looking at when he is thinking about the term Sandbox. 

We simply have different views on what is and isn't a sandbox. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Originally posted by Benedikt

i would choose different ones

vanguard

Vanguard isn't even a sandbox at all.  Maybe not 100% pure theme park, but it's very much a theme park game.

"EvE, Wurm, Xyson, Minecraft, UO, SWG (Old SWG I should say) and Fallen Earth are the only ones I can think of that even qualify as sandbox MMO's. "

If A Tale in the Desert, Puzzle Pirates, and Uncharted Waters Online aren't sandbox games, then the word simply has no meaning.  One could argue as to whether the latter two are purer sandboxes than what you list or not, but they're not a theme park at all.

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

Funny really how sandbox-MMOs stand in such high regard while at the same time most of them really suck major balls, EVE being one of the few exceptions. 

I agree, but EVE actually has a pretty good company behind it with the resources to make things happen. Most sand box MMOs are made by very small independent companies.

Also, EVE has been around for awhile and had time to smooth the edges. Maybe in a few years DF and MO will catch up.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by Benedikt

i would choose different ones

vanguard

Vanguard isn't even a sandbox at all.  Maybe not 100% pure theme park, but it's very much a theme park game.

"EvE, Wurm, Xyson, Minecraft, UO, SWG (Old SWG I should say) and Fallen Earth are the only ones I can think of that even qualify as sandbox MMO's. "

If A Tale in the Desert, Puzzle Pirates, and Uncharted Waters Online aren't sandbox games, then the word simply has no meaning.  One could argue as to whether the latter two are purer sandboxes than what you list or not, but they're not a theme park at all.

A tale in the desert isn't one I've played so I didn't and won't comment on that one. Uncharted waters was to much like PoTBS and not something I considered sandbox. Puzzle Pirates is a different type of game all together so no idea why you included it. 

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

There is no ONE definition for the wold Sandbox used in regards to an MMO.

So, of course, opinions will flow...

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

1. WoW

2. LoTRO

3. Everquest 2

/topic

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Pre-tram Ultima Online has to be on every sandbox list.  Come to think of it, there would be no mmorpg.com if it weren't for Richard Garriott, who coined the term.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

A tale in the desert isn't one I've played so I didn't and won't comment on that one. Uncharted waters was to much like PoTBS and not something I considered sandbox. Puzzle Pirates is a different type of game all together so no idea why you included it. 

PotBS is a lot closer to WoW than it is to UWO.  PotBS combat is somewhat similar to UWO's, albeit better.  But that's about where the similarities end.  PotBS is very much a theme park game, where you go from port to port (quest hubs) doing a bunch of quests that go out and kill things to level up.

UWO isn't even primarily about combat.  It's an open world where you go out and do whatever you want, whenever, and wherever, without an implied order of here's where you go at this level.  Different players don't even have the same skills, and hence access to the same sets of content.  As I said, if that's not a sandbox, then nothing is.  Except maybe ATITD.

If Puzzle Pirates isn't a sandbox, then what is it?  It surely isn't a theme park.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

1. Wurm

2. Xyson

3. Eve

4. Mortal Online

5. Darkfall

No idea what to say about the list really, I don't agree with it and I've no idea why anyone would. 

EvE, Wurm, Xyson, Minecraft, UO, SWG (Old SWG I should say) and Fallen Earth are the only ones I can think of that even qualify as sandbox MMO's. 

MO and DFO are PvP MMO's and a far cry from Sandbox. 

Perpetuum is about in the same boat as MO and DFO. 

But that does bring into light that the PvP aspect is what the author is looking at when he is thinking about the term Sandbox. 

We simply have different views on what is and isn't a sandbox. 

I would consider Guildwars to be a pure PVP MMO.

DFO and MO are more PVP in a sandbox type games.  

FallenEarth is to restrictive.  You have to skill up to unlock a lot of features.  It's almost like a level grind.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

UO (pre tram)is #1 above all in this category.  Its so far ahead at #1 that numbers 2 - 99 are reserved for UO's  luggage.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

No UO or SWG so the list is completely flawed.  Ryzom should also be on the list.

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

What changed between UO Pre Tam and now? I'm just wondering.. I heard of a server that has pre tamp and has a healthy population. 

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

What changed between UO Pre Tam and now? I'm just wondering.. I heard of a server that has pre tamp and has a healthy population. 

Pre-Trammel to just after post Trammel not much.  PKers had to fight other pvpers instead of pve people.  Poor babies.

Pre-Trammel to now a lot.  UO has become much more gear oriented with the runics and artifacts.

I haven't heard they release a pre-trammel server unless you are referring to a server that should not be named. :)

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

Dude someone in this thread just said that... ask him or her. Then when you join and play let me know I would love to jump on that shit. Its just I never played UO but I love sandbox MMO.

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Venger

Pre-Trammel to just after post Trammel not much.  PKers had to fight other pvpers instead of pve people.  Poor babies.

Pre-Trammel to now a lot.  UO has become much more gear oriented with the runics and artifacts.

I haven't heard they release a pre-trammel server unless you are referring to a server that should not be named. :)

Siege Perilous. However I think they still have all that gear oriented garbage. Not sure been a while.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Trammel introduced a consent-only PvP side to Ultima Online by making a copy of the world on each server. Previously all players were free game to the roaming PKs as soon as they stepped outside the safety of the cities.

Pretty soon after that most of the server's population moved to the Trammel side, much to the displease of the PKs used to easy prey. UO's roleplaying communities thrived and expanded, free from the molestation of the PKs. As a result, UO's subscription numbers doubled within a time period of one and a half year.

Then Age of Shadows was launched and everything UO was built on was shattered. The lead designer changed and took UO to a whole new direction, trying to bring to UO the gear grind and classes that they thought made WoW so popular.

Unfortunately as history has proven many times over, copying WoW is usually not a path to success. UO servers are still alive, but their population is a fraction of what it was at the Renaissance times. Because the uniqueness of UO:s open world player housing, merging the servers never was and never will be an option, thus dooming the population to slowly dwindle into nothingness.

When you hear the old UO vets talking about Trammel having destroyed UO they actually mean it destroyed their fun in UO, which was ganking players who had no chance to defend themselves.

Trammel was the best thing ever happened to UO. The numbers are there to prove this.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by tom_gore

Trammel introduced a consent-only PvP side to Ultima Online by making a copy of the world on each server. Previously all players were free game to the roaming PKs as soon as they stepped outside the safety of the cities.

Pretty soon after that most of the server's population moved to the Trammel side, much to the displease of the PKs used to easy prey. UO's roleplaying communities thrived and expanded, free from the molestation of the PKs. As a result, UO's subscription numbers doubled within a time period of one and a half year.

Then Age of Shadows was launched and everything UO was built on was shattered. The lead designer changed and took UO to a whole new direction, trying to bring to UO the gear grind and classes that they thought made WoW so popular.

Unfortunately as history has proven many times over, copying WoW is usually not a path to success. UO servers are still alive, but their population is a fraction of what it was at the Renaissance times. Because the uniqueness of UO:s open world player housing, merging the servers never was and never will be an option, thus dooming the population to slowly dwindle into nothingness.

When you hear the old UO vets talking about Trammel having destroyed UO they actually mean it destroyed their fun in UO, which was ganking players who had no chance to defend themselves.

Trammel was the best thing ever happened to UO. The numbers are there to prove this.

I think the problem with FFA FL PVP is that its meant to simulate emergent real world behavior in a sandbox. But the fact is that in the real world people couldn't just unsub and leave, they had to live in a ffa pvp world. In a game it just makes people quit. Only the powerful people enjoy it. And in the real world during one person could just not be so powerful. The pker just logs off and bam he is safe. So there is no sleep risk like in the game. And you have to eat, and such, which makes problems in the real world, but in the game you don't have to.

People are always like omg ffa fl pvp is realistic! Thats making games like real life!

And that is a lie. As long as you can log out, its not real, its not realistic. Tell FFA PVP lovers this:

As soon as you are willing to play a game where your avatar stays logged in and can be killed while you are offline, you are just a pathetic lying poser.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by tom_gore

I think a system with a PvE zones (zones with laws that are enforced) and lawless PvP zones in an open world is a better way to go than the way UO did it.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Yet another reason not to read that crap site. It is beyond me how the bugridden MO with it's unproffessional team, trial and error design approach and complete lack of any features which are not tied to PvP are ranked above Darkfall, and where the hell is UO?

• ikarrianikarrian Member Posts: 122

UOR ftw, AoS and everything after made UO unfun... the game were as most fun without trammel and safe-zones. And when "Skill" mattered. And then AoS and gear stats came... Ruined the PvP and killed the game.

Me and buddys played for a long time on free-shard : Defiance, althou that also became influenced by all the trammies and " All-kill-no-skill " tamers