Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 Sandiest Sandbox MMO's.

username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

http://sandboxer.org/?p=313

Sandboxer lists the top 5 sandiest sandbox MMO's.  The mods forbid me from copy pasta entire news articles, but this basically sums it up.

1. Wurm

2. Xyson

3. Eve

4. Mortal Online

5. Darkfall

What do you guy think?  If Eve was on the list why wasn't perpetuum on that list? Is wurm really the sandiest sandbox MMO?

Keep in mind your going to want to read the article before posting.  Yes, it mentions SWG and UO.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Comments

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

Yes I agree with WURM being the sandiest sandbox but a lot of shit is out dated and the combat sucks balls. 

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Sandboxer is probably biased against Perptuum because it is similar to Eve.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

and yet all of them pale in comparison to old SWG....or even old Neocron.

Neocron fucking sucked why the fuck is that even mentioned right now?

• IsnifArmPitsIsnifArmPits Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

UO and SWG, both Raph Koster projects. The two best sad boxes ever. And sadly will never be seen again.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

It's so sad that 4 outta 5 games on this list are almost complete crap. I've played all 5 and only Eve is worth a real look. I really wish someone would bring forth a decent Sandbox game. 

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

UO and SWG.

Nothing else comes close.

But hey, we all have an opinion..

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

Neocron fucking sucked why the fuck is that even mentioned right now?

Whoa there cowboy, no one said the sandy sand box games had to be good. They just have to be ...sandy.

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

List invalid. Fatal Error 9183 - No Ultima referrence found in the list. Creator's mental ability is questioned. OP's common sense not found. Please provide proper credentials and try again.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

But Neocron was not sandy... really. Don't get me wrong I fell in love with it because of the cyberpunk stuff but the game at the end of the day sucked

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Voracity2325

List invalid. Fatal Error 9183 - No Ultima referrence found in the list. Creator's mental ability is questioned. OP's common sense not found. Please provide proper credentials and try again.

It's fairly obvious you didn't click the link on the post.  

You didn't read the article, yet you feel that your entitled to post about it anyways.  

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Well, I'd actually say Wurm is more sandboxy due to the whole terraforming, cutting down and growing of trees, etc. I just wish that Wurm were more polished and the animations/combat weren't so clunky.

Pre-CU SWG was definitely a great game though, best crafting system I've ever seen, and the inclusion of social based skills is something we've not seen since.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

if these are the 5 best sandbox games, i guess i'm not a sandbox game fan then.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

UO, SWG, EVE, ATITD, Wurm

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

The article says it's not a list of the best sandbox games.  It's probably supposed to be a list of those that go the furthest in the "sandbox" direction on the sandbox versus theme park continuum.

I'd argue that A Tale in the Desert is the sandiest, because it actually has, you know, sand.  That site seems to only be interested in sandbox games with something like the combat you'd expect in a theme park game, rather than all sandbox games.

• UbermehUbermeh Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Quizzical

The article says it's not a list of the best sandbox games.  It's probably supposed to be a list of those that go the furthest in the "sandbox" direction on the sandbox versus theme park continuum.

I'd argue that A Tale in the Desert is the sandiest, because it actually has, you know, sand.  That site seems to only be interested in sandbox games with something like the combat you'd expect in a theme park game, rather than all sandbox games.

Thats awesome.

But your right. Probably more about which game has the most open world not the "best".

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Hmm, not a bad list, though I think Ultima Online as it is should still be there, instead of just giving an honorable mention to pre-Trammel. Also, I'd definitely put A Tale in in the Desert there; we don't have many non-combat MMOs.

SWG is no more, so there's not much point, is there... They've given its Pre-CU version an honorable mention.

Wurm coming out on top is no surprise, though. 

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I think people immediately assumed the list was the top 5 BEST sandbox games, rather than, as Quizzical said, the 5 SANDIEST sandboxes. Of course, this is a very simple scale in that the more freedom the player has, the sandier it is. However, you'll note that popular sandboxes actually place restrictions on players to keep the game fair and realistic - EVE, SWG, UO - and so this list has nothing to do with a sandbox's quality.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

i would choose different ones

wurm

haven & hearth

eve

vanguard

istaria

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

It is obvious to me that most people posting simply didn't read the article.  If they did they wouldn't be mentioning SWG, or UO at all.  

This is a list of the sandiest sandbox MMO's currently released, in their current state.  

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by username509

Originally posted by Voracity2325

It's fairly obvious you didn't click the link on the post.  

You didn't read the article, yet you feel that your entitled to post about it anyways.  

Valid: Ultima and SWG are mentioned, this is true. You caught me on not reading the post. However you did withhold critical information from the abridged post. Also, HONORABLE MENTION? I can see where this can be used with SWG since the bastards decided to destroy it with CU and then cancel it (RIP Pre-CU SWG). Ultima is still going so therefore it's still the sandiest fantasy sandbox out there. Unlike all the other fecal matter that they try to pass off as fantasy sandbox. But I guess graphics and combat define sandbox now. So being a man of honor, I do sincerely apologize for questioning your common sense. 

List invalid. Fatal Error 9184 - Ultima referrence found in the list as "honorable mention". Creator's mental ability is questioned. OP withheld critical information from abridged post. Please provide proper credentials and try again.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

I did read the article.

I think UO and SWG are both very sandy and can stand toe-to-toe with those on the list.

That's my opinion though, just like the author has his.

*shrugs*

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Think MO should be knocked off that list and replaced with UO. Other than that I think list is good for "Sandiest Sandbox" not "Best Sandbox"

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I dont care about a spelling mistake now and then, especially if its clearly a typo. But this writer doesnt seem to understand the difference between their and there . Or your and you're. And this complaint is coming from someone whose motherlanguage isnt even English.

'and a few MMO’s that have lost there sandyness over the years'

'This list explores only released MMO’s in there current state.'

'Darkfall is a full loot and open pvp game were your not artificially limited by what level you are. '

Then I stopped reading. This annoyed me.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Funny really how sandbox-MMOs stand in such high regard while at the same time most of them really suck major balls, EVE being one of the few exceptions.