Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 5 Other Movies That Could Be MMOs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With Star Wars: The Old Republic only about a week away from release, we started to wonder about other movies that might make terrific MMOs. In The List today, we opine on our five favorite IPs and a few reasons they'd be lots of fun to play. Check it out and then add your thoughts in the comments.

With the imminent arrival of that game that’s based on a venerable old movie favorite…what’s its name again? Oh right, Star Wars: The Old Republic, that’s it. Anyway, with SWTOR finally hitting the airwaves, it made me start to think of other movies that I believe would make terrific MMOs, games that have a fairly clear set of factions that could probably make the transition to a game world inhabited by thousands of players at the same time. All of the titles I’ve listed would bring a breath of fresh air into the increasingly dull line of MMOs that exist today.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The List: 5 Other Movies That Could Be MMOs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• StormNetStormNet Member UncommonPosts: 31

You missed Firefly.. I feel this would make a GREAT MMO due to the diversness of the "verse" and the endless possibilities of the series not to mention the cult like following of the browncoats.

I think though that Wildstar kind of feels a tad bit like Firefly in it's characters feel and musical overtones. Still a true IP based on Firefly I believe would be wildly popular.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Is Firefly a movie? I thought it was just a TV show. And, I believe there actually IS an indie-developed Firefly MMO in development. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Revenge of the Nerds:

Jocks vs the visitors of MMORPG.com

---------

Planet of the Apes

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

How could you have forgotten????

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by SBFord

Is Firefly a movie? I thought it was just a TV show. And, I believe there actually IS an indie-developed Firefly MMO in development. :P

it has movie Serenity which more or less closed the unfinished series

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Sorry personally I wouldnt play none of those 5 movie mmo's.  Just not my cup of tea, and I think they would offer crappy and very little appeal.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

The Godfather. Different families fighting it out in turf wars could work.

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

actually, Blade Runner should be everyone vs everyone, including but not limited to: corps, solos, goverment, drifters, treehuggers, etc.

• GhiltGhilt Member Posts: 2

I do not see much "Multiplayer" in those movies, they all seem to be much 'single player' to me.

But the Firefly/Serenity, if done properly (with sandboxy touch), this would win my heart over any other sci-fi MMO (including SW:TOR)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

i always thought stargate would make a great mmo. someone screwed that up though.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I think many of Philip K. Dick's stories (Bladerunner, Minority Report, Total Recall), could make awesome single player games. MMOs? Not so much.

I'm sorry but I have to say that none of these movies would work for me as an MMO.

MMOs I would like to see? Shadowrun, Red Dead  Redemption,maybe Underworld or a similar horror theme.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Multiverse obtained a license from fox to produce a firefly MMO in 2006, but has never done anything with it.  It is not even on their list of games in development.  Since Multiverse has never made a MMO, my guess is that the chances of them ever making a firefly one are pretty slim.  

It still would make an excellent MMO, but developers and investors tend to shy away from Sci-Fi games.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

Aren't there a million "side 1 vs. side 2" MMOs already?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

5) Die Hard: No.
    4) Red Dawn: That could be done. There's actually a FPS game out with this theme right now.
    3) Blade Runner: For the love of god, yes. There is so much you could do here. Multiple factions, humans and replicants, etc. Wouldn't even have to be humans versus replicants. The setting alone I think would be worth it.
    2) The Terminator: I don't really see this. I could see a FPS game, but not a full on mmorpg.
    1) Cowboys vs Aliens: Yes.

Some other movies that might work as well:

I skipped some of the more obvious ones like Farscape, Babylon 5 and Firefly.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Multiverse obtained a license from fox to produce a firefly MMO in 2006, but has never done anything with it.  It is not even on their list of games in development.  Since Multiverse has never made a MMO, my guess is that the chances of them ever making a firefly one are pretty slim.  
    It still would make an excellent MMO, but developers and investors tend to shy away from Sci-Fi games.

There is a fan fueled mmo with a website and everything.

http://fireflyuniverseonline.com/

No telling if it'll get anywhere though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Do a tv show list next week ;D

I can see Terra Nova being a cool MMO.  Especially if you have the future and the past fleshed out.

Or Sanctuary.

Anyway, so as not to derail the thread, movies....hmmm....Die Hard? no.  Blade Runner?  for setting and the possible philosophy of AI becoming sentient, sounds good.

Red Dawn?  Mmmm...nah, it's better suited for RTS and FPS/TPS type games.

Terminator...same as above. Cowboys and Aliens...maybe if the movie was as good as the trailer was before the movie launched, otherwise heck no.  

I do think an Alien/Predator MMORPG could be cool, and you can have 3 factions when you add humans, but just don't limit it to one area.  Make it span multiple planets and space ships including earth and the planets we saw in the various movies.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

I don't think movies translate too well into games. Think about all the game tie-ins with movies and how many of them were actually worth playing? Now the settings could work. Take the setting of one of the Godfather movies and that could become an MMORPG. Or we can create

Married with Children: the MMORPG

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Blade Runner please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

You missed Robocop

Part Man

Part Machine

All MMO

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

From this 5 , i only want  to see Blade Runner mmo...

When we talk about movie become mmo, i want to see  than definelty  them:

- Alien (or Alien vs. Predator is good too)

- The Walking Dead

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Not technically a movie..

But Game of Thrones.

5 Faction PvP. :D

Also Spaceballs.

I would be a Mog Trader making a living selling Perri-Air to add custom gear to my Tier 8 Winnebago.

• jstlinkjstlink Member Posts: 1

I bet ya supernatural would work great as an mmorpg.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

All crap, we wat 3 realms.

Like, Aliens vs Predators vs Marines

or

Nerds vs Bullies vs Snops

UHF.

Each channel could be a zone.

Fighting Conan the Libraian in Spatula City.

Don't even get me started on the 24 man Wheel of Fish raid.