Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank-You Korea

free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I just played Dragona and I can't wait for Tera. Gave Aion a go (don't know if its Korean but I'm sure it's eastern in origin)

The graphics are fantastic. Creativity in character and race is fun to watch and fun to play. Animations are smooth and story lines are interesting. Lore is original, the girls are hot, the guys are brick. Let the haters hate. I'm having fun again. I almost forgot what games were about! Keep them coming to the english speaking portion of humanity! I like how you role!

Comments

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520
    ... for Tia Ling.

Corrected.

;)

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Is Tera a sandbox or theme park? Maybe the ops name gave it away. Lol jk. But really. Is it sandbox or theme park?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

From reading up and YouTube videos it looks like a graphically updated version of L2 in terms of PvP political machinations (clans / guilds - the meta-social contact / politics is of utmost importance). Twitch based combat - which IMO is appealing - and gorgeous graphics and animations.

The characters look super fluid and there are lots of gorgeous effects, but gameplay appears a little coin-op to me.

Ultimately, it will boil down to whether or not you like the art-style (no problem with Loli-art style but I'm in the anti-oversized weapon crowd), twitch-based combat and clan / guild PvP.

In no way, shape or form is Tera sandbox.

FWIW, not my game but am impressed by the graphics and fluid animation from what I've seen on YouTube.

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

What I love about Koreans is that they know what games to be set as MMORPG. They introduced me to MMORPGs through Hellgate (an ARPG revival that they turned into MMO).

I also got an interest back in Cabal 1 because the item drops are slowly becoming Diablo-inspired. There are now random options and stats in the items/weapons/armors dropped by monsters now.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Riotgirl

From reading up and YouTube videos it looks like a graphically updated version of L2 in terms of PvP political machinations (clans / guilds - the meta-social contact / politics is of utmost importance). Twitch based combat - which IMO is appealing - and gorgeous graphics and animations.

The characters look super fluid and there are lots of gorgeous effects, but gameplay appears a little coin-op to me.

Ultimately, it will boil down to whether or not you like the art-style (no problem with Loli-art style but I'm in the anti-oversized weapon crowd), twitch-based combat and clan / guild PvP.

In no way, shape or form is Tera sandbox.

FWIW, not my game but am impressed by the graphics and fluid animation from what I've seen on YouTube.

Korean and Asian games reflect a culture that divides beautify and sexualize and you see it in the games. We see it as loliart, they see it different. Sexy was blocked in a game a Korean game I tried yesterday but shit wasn't. I guess it's a grievous insult to tell a full grown woman she is sexy in Korea. The weapons is again about division in perspective. A huge Sword is made huge to amplify it's elegence and beauty. We just see it as more powerfull in an over the top kind of way.

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Is Tera a sandbox or theme park? Maybe the ops name gave it away. Lol jk. But really. Is it sandbox or theme park?

No idea to be honest. Themepark seems to be the direction my info is taking me. I don't know if it's like LotRO where you can go anywhere or mostly background with minimal roaming area.

- And on the name, free2play was what I was at the time I came up with it. It was never meant to be seen as how games should be sold. I simply had free time to play games and free2play was what i used.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Tera have manual aiming and it have a rather open free roaming world, but i think its still a themepark but one of the better ones. Its far from lineage2 clone but its from korea as is aion and almost all mmo's lol

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by kashiegamer

What I love about Koreans is that they know what games to be set as MMORPG. They introduced me to MMORPGs through Hellgate (an ARPG revival that they turned into MMO).

I also got an interest back in Cabal 1 because the item drops are slowly becoming Diablo-inspired. There are now random options and stats in the items/weapons/armors dropped by monsters now.

Hellgate london was not made by koreans lol its not even close to korean game. Its made by old blizzard employees.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Originally posted by forest-nl

Originally posted by kashiegamer

Hellgate london was not made by koreans lol its not even close to korean game. Its made by old blizzard employees.

And Blizzard has made games where the fan base refers to everyone else who aren't Korean as forgeiners.

Hell, even the Americans refer to themselves are forgeiners when going against Korean players in StarCraft 2. So the Koreans might not have made the game, but they sure as hell were the target audience.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Whom are we thanking here? north korea or south korea?

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• drake201drake201 Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by free2play

I just played Dragona and I can't wait for Tera. Gave Aion a go (don't know if its Korean but I'm sure it's eastern in origin)

The graphics are fantastic. Creativity in character and race is fun to watch and fun to play. Animations are smooth and story lines are interesting. Lore is original, the girls are hot, the guys are brick. Let the haters hate. I'm having fun again. I almost forgot what games were about! Keep them coming to the english speaking portion of humanity! I like how you role!

huh, we must live on different planets, since korean games are always shitty quality.

Originally posted by drake201

huh, we must live on different planets, since korean games are always shitty quality.

I beg to differ. The only decent NA/EU MMO is World of Warcraft. Lineage 2, Aion, Final Fantasy XI, Ragnarok Online, and others have better art style, and a much better community in the TW region (except FFXi since everyone is on the same servers).

North American games are just not my taste, especially due to their art style. But the main reason why I hate playing North American games is because of people like you, you and your attitude make up for likely 3/4ths of a community in a North American MMO. Western society should adopt Eastern society discipline for raising kids: beat the shit out of them so they learn respect.

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Archeage will be the Lineage 2 clone. It's in close beta for koreans only.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby in Taladega Nights,  "This is America, we speak American".

I couldnt agree with you more. I have never played an Asian game that didnt offer heavy grinding, unrealistic chainmail bikinis, huge cat like anime eyes, characters running with their upper bodies contorted to appear as if they had a corn cob stuck up their ass, or street fighter animated flashy manga insipred combat.  I just cant stand the whole asian culture so I am sorry if I offend you but theres a reason why there has not been a huge following of Asian MMO's culture crossed over to mainstream western markets.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby in Taladega Nights,  "This is America, we speak American".

I couldnt agree with you more. I have never played an Asian game that didnt offer heavy grinding, unrealistic chainmail bikinis, huge cat like anime eyes, characters running with their upper bodies contorted to appear as if they had a corn cob stuck up their ass, or street fighter animated flashy manga insipred combat.  I just cant stand the whole asian culture so I am sorry if I offend you but theres a reason why there has not been a huge following of Asian MMO's culture crossed over to mainstream western markets.

WRONG!

Btw, less racism lol. I can smell it from here.

Originally posted by Lienhart

I beg to differ. The only decent NA/EU MMO is World of Warcraft. Lineage 2, Aion, Final Fantasy XI, Ragnarok Online, and others have better art style, and a much better community in the TW region (except FFXi since everyone is on the same servers).

North American games are just not my taste, especially due to their art style. But the main reason why I hate playing North American games is because of people like you, you and your attitude make up for likely 3/4ths of a community in a North American MMO. Western society should adopt Eastern society discipline for raising kids: beat the shit out of them so they learn respect.

You really got your head up in there. I just state the way it is.

hahahah exactly. When i played aion, i was like wtf did anime perverts make this game.

Also i was beaten regulary by my dad, it didnt make me respect that fuck.

If you haft to be beaten to do whats right, then you are no different then animal.

3/4 of america?lol where the fuck do you get this notion. I'm sorry you are an idiot whom is deeply lost in your preception of the world. 

I say korean games are shitty because all the koreans games i have played including final fantasy XI/aion/lineage, each one of those had a cool feature such as ffx1 class combos, or aion's animation system but other then those ideas the games were shit and had little to no support.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I couldnt agree with you more. I have never played an Asian game that didnt offer heavy grinding, unrealistic chainmail bikinis, huge cat like anime eyes, characters running with their upper bodies contorted to appear as if they had a corn cob stuck up their ass, or street fighter animated flashy manga insipred combat.

...yes, the nutjob combat animations, the screeching and grunting of the characters and the 400lb weapons are pretty funny.  It's so ridiculous that I have a hard time people actually LIKE that.  Especially with the mobs that look like they came from a Dr. Seuss book.

I agree with everything you have to say in your post, but I would add the thing I loathe most which is the weird, creepy child-women dressed mainly in Goth lingerie that these guys populate their games with.  It's like the games are made by people who have an unhealthy interest in schoolgirls or something.  Very disquieting. 

From my personal experience, and without one single exception to date, Korean/Asian games are long on eye-candy and VERY short on depth and immersion.  I haven't encountered an Asian/Korean game that I'd even keep on my hard drive for a rainly day, and I've tried lots of them.  No wonder they're largely F2P because they most certainly aren't worth paying for, but of late they share that characteristic with quite a few Western games which are also superficial crap.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Dibdabs

I couldnt agree with you more. I have never played an Asian game that didnt offer heavy grinding, unrealistic chainmail bikinis, huge cat like anime eyes, characters running with their upper bodies contorted to appear as if they had a corn cob stuck up their ass, or street fighter animated flashy manga insipred combat.

...yes, the nutjob combat animations, the screeching and grunting of the characters and the 400lb weapons are pretty funny.  It's so ridiculous that I have a hard time people actually LIKE that.  Especially with the mobs that look like they came from a Dr. Seuss book.

I agree with everything you have to say in your post, but I would add the thing I loathe most which is the weird, creepy child-women dressed mainly in Goth lingerie that these guys populate their games with.  It's like the games are made by people who have an unhealthy interest in schoolgirls or something.  Very disquieting. 

From my personal experience, and without one single exception to date, Korean/Asian games are long on eye-candy and VERY short on depth and immersion.  I haven't encountered an Asian/Korean game that I'd even keep on my hard drive for a rainly day, and I've tried lots of them.  No wonder they're largely F2P because they most certainly aren't worth paying for, but of late they share that characteristic with quite a few Western games which are also superficial crap.

Ughh you have no idea how much this bothers me on personal level and number one reason why i shy away from Asian games. i was once watching one of the Tera videos and i didn't even notice my wife standing behind me. She tapped on my shoulder and said 'what the hell is matter with you'? so embarassing. 

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• nethrillnethrill Member Posts: 122

Please, every asian game I've seen or played has been pretty generic and cheesy. That's fine if your maybe 14 and that appeals to you I guess but I've yet to encounter any asian game worth any consideration for your average western adult with any sense of taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_developed_in_South_Korea

Go through that list and you will quickly see they make alot of horrible games. Two recent games out of korea that i tried was SD gundam and Digimon world online, and i gotta say both are absolute crap like most of the stuff listed there.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It's kinda funny really. I see a few cases where people demand depth and complexity in thier video games yet they see jiggly boobs and thier minds are made up, the game is all fluff. I guess they want thier depth in a step by step formula with no distractions and obvious outcomes.

For me complexity in a video game is about template memorization. How much useless information can I jam in my head and still function in society. It's the limit of binary code, not the fault of a Dev or a game or a computer. So devs can do two things. Make it take so damn long no normal person will ever do it, making it "hard" or just find new ways to entertain in games. WoW style, Tera style.

Devs don't dumb down games. Players do by ignoring everything but the things that piss them off.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by nethrill

Please, every asian game I've seen or played has been pretty generic and cheesy. That's fine if your maybe 14 and that appeals to you I guess but I've yet to encounter any asian game worth any consideration for your average western adult with any sense of taste.

duly noted.

Nothing cheesy about wow or everquest or everquest 2 or the over the top sexuality in Age of Conan, or or the silliness in City of Heroes/Villains... or the...

well you get the point.

I wouldn't be calling people out on "taste" as it's so easy to step into another's life and start criticising their clothes or tv choices or music tastes, movie tastes or even that they play video games as a hobby.

People who live in glass houses.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I have never played an Asian game that didnt offer heavy grinding, unrealistic chainmail bikinis, huge cat like anime eyes, characters running with their upper bodies contorted to appear as if they had a corn cob stuck up their ass, or street fighter animated flashy manga insipred combat.  I just cant stand the whole asian culture so I am sorry if I offend you but theres a reason why there has not been a huge following of Asian MMO's culture crossed over to mainstream western markets.

You say "Asian", but I think you mean "Korean".  Nintendo games are nothing like what you describe, for example, and the same could be said of many other major Japanese developers.