Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

From a story standpoint, whats left?

alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member

I never cared about anyone but Arthas and Thrall same as 99% of us who like the game but arent deep into the comics.  They are the only 2 characters recognized by people outside of gaming.

I didnt care about what went on with Deathwing, imo if they wanted to redo the vanilla experience to keep new players they should have done that on thier own dime, not charge me 50 extra bucks.

I REALLY dont care about a panda race, my little sister saw me looking at the page and started yelling kung fu panda.

I cant be the only one that just isnt interested in what they are doing with story....

Comments

• ThanesThanes St. Augustine, FLPosts: 182Member

P A N D A S A N D P O K E M O N

edit, naw, I guess they might add a story about transcendance, considering they're adding monks.  What's left at level 90 but fighting gods or getting elevated to the status of one.

• alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member

Originally posted by Thanes

P A N D A S A N D P O K E M O N

edit, naw, I guess they might add a story about transcendance, considering they're adding monks.  What's left at level 90 but fighting gods or getting elevated to the status of one.

Whoa whoa, whats this about becoming a god? Dont remember ever seeing anything like that lol, would rock though. Im not saying im an RP nerd but I get turned off by an aimless game that isnt really fighting any kind of hardcore antagonist....I might as well play a sandbox if im done caring about that stuff....

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,778Member Uncommon

Originally posted by alexanys1982

I never cared about anyone but Arthas and Thrall same as 99% of us who like the game but arent deep into the comics.  They are the only 2 characters recognized by people outside of gaming.

I didnt care about what went on with Deathwing, imo if they wanted to redo the vanilla experience to keep new players they should have done that on thier own dime, not charge me 50 extra bucks.

I REALLY dont care about a panda race, my little sister saw me looking at the page and started yelling kung fu panda.

I cant be the only one that just isnt interested in what they are doing with story....

i care for all those things you dont, because i play WoW for the Lore, not for the end game raids and epic gears ;) pretty casual i am

• InjerinInjerin Chuluba, ILPosts: 63Member

I watched this and........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhDFsGLjOlk.... and laughed and laughed.

• ArakaneArakane Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 200Member Uncommon

as to the op's question, which is a good one, I really don't know. For me, the best thing about WoW is the story/lore. That's about my most favorite part of any rpg, mmo or not. I always followed the lore of wow with great interest but not sure where they can go from here on in. I am sure they will think of something though, though now I will be busy with sw:tor  and there is a ton of lore there :)

• alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member

I was going to throw in the fact that TOR has alot of story in the op but I decided to just go ahead and omit it...I just remember being captivated by the whole Arthas thing, now its like who the hell cares?

• ScalebaneScalebane La Junta, COPosts: 2,225Member

what ever metzen and blizzard creates is whats left, they can go anywhere they want with their story from this point.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• ScalebaneScalebane La Junta, COPosts: 2,225Member

i'm glad they have closed up old story lines even though they can go back to them, now i can't wait to see what the future holds.

not sure why people feel so threatened by panda's but whatever i guess, i just don't see how its different then playing a stupid looking gnome, a cow, a spacegoat, or any of the other silly races that are put into MMORPGS or RPGS in general.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• WSIMikeWSIMike Catskill, NYPosts: 5,564Member

There's still The Emerald Dream to be visited in full (not the phasing version of it in some quests now). There's been the rough layout for an entire Emerald Dream area, complete with some world geometry that you could explore. I remember checking it out some time back in one of those world viewer programs.

The giants who created/terraformed Azeroth also created other worlds (you can see the holograms of them in one of the "Halls" up in Storm Peaks). 

The Warcraft lore goes a lot farther than I think a lot of people realize. They simply haven't used it all yet. 

So I guess it's really a question of how far do they want to take it?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• drake201drake201 Avondale, AZPosts: 75Member

Originally posted by WSIMike

There's still The Emerald Dream to be visited in full (not the phasing version of it in some quests now).

The giants who created/terraformed Azeroth also created other worlds (you can see the holograms of them in one of the instances up in Ulduar). 

The Warcraft lore goes a lot farther than I think a lot of people realize. They simply haven't used it all yet. 

So I guess it's really a question of how far do they want to take it?

Most of the lore is used up, if you know the story the old gods are behind pretty much everything and are the only enemies left standing.  Any other villian from now on will simply be made up instead of taken from the story.

• VolkmarVolkmar EspooPosts: 2,497Member Uncommon

Originally posted by alexanys1982

Mmmmh. Cata revamp was not done on your dime. It was free. You are free to not buy Cata and you still get the revamped world. Cata is for Worgen/goblin races, level 80-85 areas, archaeology, the new raids/dungeons and so on.

Get your facts straight before bashing.

As for Story.... Deathwing existed long before Thrall or Arthas ever were born (even in terms of Warcraft games). Also so nice of you to put everyone that disagree with you in the 1%.

We do not know where the Pandaria story is going to go. I'm interested of the asian themes, I love Dynasty Warriors after all and Shogun1/2 : Total War :3

Then again, they say the story is going to go toward Warcraft: Total war. And you tell me you do not want THAT?

oooook.... then.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

Blizzard has dimensions they can pluck from anytime

http://www.wowwiki.com/Twisting_Nether

http://www.wowwiki.com/Great_Dark_Beyond

and theres always Sargeras  (the creator of the Lich King)

He's likely the greatest evil in WOW lore

http://www.wowwiki.com/Sargeras

Brann Bronzebeard is fairly confident that the real Sargeras never actually set foot on Azeroth, implying the real Sargeras is still around in the Twisting Nether.[10] Lending this theory further credibility is in War of the Ancients, the power of the Well of Eternity was needed to create a portal strong enough for Sargeras to attempt to enter Azeroth, the creation of which took a long time to be completed. The portal used to bring the Sargeras that Aegwynn fought was powered by a handful of demons and was created in only a few minutes.

In an interview to Chris Metzen and Micky Neilson they said that "he's out there somewhere", that "you can’t put him down" and "he’s not going to stay down for long". At last Metzen said: I'd be very disappointed in us if we didn’t leverage him fully.[12]

• observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,009Member Uncommon

If only WoW would have progressed like this:

classic -> wotlk -> cataclysm -> burning crusade -> ?

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi HalifaxPosts: 380Member

Will be an Old god next, most likely taking main stage rather than being a side story.

Then after that will be the return of the Burning Legion I'd say.

• CeridithCeridith Toronto, ONPosts: 2,980Member

The Burning Legion, headed by Sargeras, is one of two main remaining threats in the Warcraft Universe. There's Argus, there Eredar (and Draenei) homeworld that could potentially liberated from the Legion, amongst countless other worlds that were conquered by them. They could also incorporate the Titans as allies to the players. Old gods would be the second biggest threat (possibly even equal to the Legion).

Which in my opinion would have made for an infinitely more interesting storyline and expansion... but no... Blizzard went with Kung-fu Pandas and Pokemon instead... it just boggles my mind.

• AusareAusare adamstown, MDPosts: 850Member

I thought there are still problems in the Emerald Dream

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Freeland, MIPosts: 630Member

It's a Blizzard owned IP so they can still do whatever they want!  They don't have the same problems that games like LOTRO, WAR or SWTOR have since they aren't restricted using somebody else's story.

• MightykingMightyking CapellePosts: 233Member Uncommon

Fantasy has no limits. This goes for the Warcraft franchise, but also WAR, LotRo, SWTOR. The Stories can be endless and are only limited by the developers fantasy.

Simple huh?

• nickster29nickster29 Holmen, WIPosts: 486Member

I would like to see more Old Gods & Titans lore.  Cataclysm sort of had it, with the whole Twilights Hammer / Shadow Council & Deathwing... but didn't have the same feel that Ulduar (one of my favorite raids ever) had.

Hopefully Blizzard will feel the need to step up their game with the upcoming expansion, I want to see what Blizzard might actually be able to do when they have a serious competitor in the same market.  Maybe brings some of the "A team" back onto WoW and make it interesting again?  

• CeridithCeridith Toronto, ONPosts: 2,980Member

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

It's a Blizzard owned IP so they can still do whatever they want!  They don't have the same problems that games like LOTRO, WAR or SWTOR have since they aren't restricted using somebody else's story.

Exactly right, they can do whatever they want with Warcraft's story. Hell they could add a my little pony expansion and make ponies a playable race (bronies for Horde).

But, I don't have to like any of it. Quite honestly, I don't anymore. The whole Kung-fu Pandas as a main lore figure just ruins Warcraft lore for me. So I no longer play WoW, and reminisce about the days when Warcraft lore was gritty and epic, and not some eight year old's dream about playing with kung-fu pandas.

Funny how that works.

• nyxxisnyxxis Independence, MOPosts: 62Member

To me the question is not the lore. As far as I am concerned WoW/Blizz has had some of the best self standing/self made lore around. Have read most of the books and might continue to do so. They can take it as far as they have great writers to back it up.

Its about gameplay. I have been around since the beginning, and the only thing more dumbed down than kung fu panda and pokemon is the gameplay. They have made it so simple and mind numbing youtube is being flooded with 8 year olds running raids vids.

There has to be a reason that they have lost almost 3 mil subs since the release of cata. I no longer play, will never play again and most of the people I know that used to play will never again.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

I think that MoP is definitely taking the story in the right direction:  Alliance vs Horde.  Im kind of sick of half assed cooperation causing a truce of sorts.

Im betting there is something on Pandaria that both sides feel can be exploited to turn the tides of the war, and as both sides rush to harness it it backfires on everyone.  That 'something' could be somehow related to an old god who was manipulating both sides to unleash him.