Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 free to play?

legend55legend55 Member Posts: 155

I heard that everquest is going to be fully free to play, Is this true? Or are there just going to be alot less restrictions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Its got the same restrictions as EQX had. Lots of money required to open up other classes and races and fable armour.

Pretty dissapointed TBH, least everyone is on one server now though if they want to be, no more live and free seperation.

Ofc you can choose a free class/race and play from 1-90 for free. But yes lots of restrictions still.

• legend55legend55 Member Posts: 155

Damn that's a bummer, I think they could reach more players if they just go completely free and only charge like exclusive items and stuff. Free to play is the future! But anyway thanks for the response:D

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by legend55

I heard that everquest is going to be fully free to play, Is this true? Or are there just going to be alot less restrictions?

Thanks in advance

Won't make much difference if you are new but for old players nothing is F2P.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Damn that's a bummer, I think they could reach more players if they just go completely free and only charge like exclusive items and stuff. Free to play is the future! But anyway thanks for the response:D

It is completely free, as long as you play within the restrictions. Its not so expensive , because youve got the choice of paying $14.99 a month like the old way and it unlocks everything basically except for the expansions you have not bought yet. (i think)

The other way to play is to play for free within restrictions, and if you want a new class or race, buy them individually as you need them., instead of buying them all at same time to unlock everything That does not cost a lot at all its 750 SC for each class or race unlock.

Originally posted by Kooshdin

It is completely free, as long as you play within the restrictions. Its not so expensive , because youve got the choice of paying $14.99 a month like the old way and it unlocks everything basically except for the expansions you have not bought yet. (i think)

The other way to play is to play for free within restrictions, and if you want a new class or race, buy them individually as you need them., instead of buying them all at same time to unlock everything That does not cost a lot at all its 750 SC for each class or race unlock.

Didn't know that, but I don't think playing with restrictions is good enough, They should just go fully free to play. Amen haha:D buying for new classes personally I think is just wrong, isn't a good MMORPG based on good and wide character selection? to be able to play with anything you want?

• asyndetonasyndeton Member UncommonPosts: 87

For returning players this switch is a pretty good deal. They "grandfathered" any characters created before December in. Meaning that not only can you access your account without subbing, but you can play any character you had without needing to unlock their class or race.

Yes, the system has restrictions, yes they want you to pay, but you still get a lot... FOR FREE. 

Complaining about the restrictions is so silly, especially when you are not even paying. No onee is entitled to give you ANYTHING, just be grateful that you are getting something and don't ask for more.

(PS: That last line isn't directed at anyone here, please don't be mad at me).

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Originally posted by Kooshdin

Didn't know that, but I don't think playing with restrictions is good enough, They should just go fully free to play. Amen haha:D buying for new classes personally I think is just wrong, isn't a good MMORPG based on good and wide character selection? to be able to play with anything you want?

You cant ever get total free to play unless some generous company decides to reward its player base by giving a totally free mmo to play as a free gift. As yet, that has not happened so till then we have to play for free within certain restrictions, thats the way it goes .

yeah I agree totally with the 2 reactions before me, But I really truelly think the future is free to play. Think of games like LOL or Fiesta online of some sort, only a small fraction is p2p, and so many players play the game. They make without any doubt serious money, no one can deny that. but anywaaay, going way of topic haha:D Just dreaming about a totally free everquest world. :D

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

remember though alot of people that are new to eq2 are geting alot for free they get base game and most of the expasions for free.were over the years ive payed cash for them all.

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 156

I'm not going to play the game because of the unlockers. That's just greedy.

Edit. I mean I'm not going to join in with the free to play group because I hate the idea of the unlockers. I will not pay additional money to use the equipment my character is wearing at the moment. EQ2 is a lovely game, but these unlockers just are too much. And even if I got to use them without unlockers, the future replacements need unlocking if they're leg+.

Originally posted by hupa

Edit. I mean I'm not going to join in with the free to play group because I hate the idea of the unlockers. I will not pay additional money to use the equipment my character is wearing at the moment. EQ2 is a lovely game, but these unlockers just are too much. And even if I got to use them without unlockers, the future replacements need unlocking if they're leg+.

True to that. Amen

Originally posted by hupa

That is a misleading word. You wouldn't be paying additional money at all if you are logging in. You would be logging in for free, and then paying to unlock things. That is not additional. If you are paying the sub (Just as how things were before) it is all already unlocked. Nothing "additional" about it.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

yeah I agree totally with the 2 reactions before me, But I really truelly think the future is free to play. Think of games like LOL or Fiesta online of some sort, only a small fraction is p2p, and so many players play the game. They make without any doubt serious money, no one can deny that. but anywaaay, going way of topic haha:D Just dreaming about a totally free everquest world. :D

Fiesta is a better game than EQ2?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

membership matrix

http://www.everquest2.com/free

as  I posted elsewhere,

zero unlockers are needed under level 90   (except for race/class)

choose a free race/class you are set to go

soloing is very easy

in groups, no one cares about your gear under 90

as bronze/silver

you have 2/4 bags but you can buy 40 slot bags from players/tradeskillers

effectively giving you 80/160 inventory slots

I personally leveled from 1-90 as a silver account using ZERO unlockers

- its not as restrictive as people claim

at 90 you will want unlockers, but thats still 89 levels of free to play

Originally posted by Orphes

Fiesta is a better game than EQ2?

I wasn't talking about whats the better game, I was talking about the amount of players of these games. I just gave fiesta online as an example:D

Originally posted by Nadia

membership matrix

http://www.everquest2.com/free

as  I posted elsewhere,

zero unlockers are needed under level 90   (except for race/class)

choose a free race/class you are set to go

soloing is very easy

in groups, no one cares about your gear under 90

as bronze/silver

you have 2/4 bags but you can buy 40 slot bags from players/tradeskillers

effectively giving you 80/160 inventory slots

I personally leveled from 1-90 as a silver account using ZERO unlockers

- its not as restrictive as people claim

at 90 you will want unlockers, but thats still 89 levels of free to play

Still don't you find it bothersome at lvl 90 you have to use unlockers?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Sort of.  Sony's definition of "free" and your definition are generally quite different.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Sort of.  Sony's definition of "free" and your definition are generally quite different.

You got that right.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I tried it out last night only to find that i only had a small choice of races and barely any choice of classes.

SOE's advertising made it sound like it was truly free to play, rather than pay to unlock everything.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Bags are cheap.

Unlocking old toons, cheaper than they had previously had it. You basically get 2 slots. Pay 500 sc (5 us dollars) to go silver and you get 4 character slots unlocked. Free races, free classes are pretty good choices honestly. 7.50 usd to unlock the others. Really most classes within the same archtype play the same, it kind of depends on your playstyle perks.

The gear unlocks are kind of the biggest bummer. It's 30 cents (0.30 usd) to basically make legendary uber gear wearable by your toons.

Similar system for higher tiered spell upgrades.

YOU kind of don't really need them until you get to the end game content / raids where you'll be expected to gear.

Before then all of your toons run on 2 stats with the others not mattering at all. So it's kind of easy to gear up without legendary items. For example all toons use stamina as their health stat. Say you make a monk, strength is the only other stat you have to gear for. It decides your damage and your defense. Agility does squat, willpower does nill, intelligence adds NOTHING.

So that simplified system can help you get through the game on the cheap.

At end game I suspect dropping 15 dollars here and there to buy up the unlocks needed to move from one set of end game gear to the other could suffice.

I'm working on doing a more thorough break down of the actual cost of the game vs paying the subscription fee.

My math so far puts it just a little under LotRO and Wizard 101's vanity / zone unlocking scheme.

But I think if you can play the game frugally and with another player (it's a very slow solo based game) leveling up to 90 on the cheap is very possible.

At the very least paying the 5 bucks to go silver and then the 3 bucks to unlock your inventory space can offer a good experience. 8 bucks total isn't a bad deal for a one time payment.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

I tried it out last night only to find that i only had a small choice of races and barely any choice of classes.

SOE's advertising made it sound like it was truly free to play, rather than pay to unlock everything.

Yes true, you only get 4 of the netural races to begin with, but you get to choose from 8 separate classes. There is only 24 classes in all, 25 with beastlord I guess, that is a third of the classes you get for free. So, saying that it is pay to unlock "everything" is not only misleading, it is wrong. 

All the advetising I saw didnt make me think everything would be free. I knew there would be restrictions, and ten seconds of research told me exactly what they were.

Besides, You still have the option to sub and unlock everything. They never took that away. 

Originally posted by asyndeton

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Yes true, you only get 4 of the netural races to begin with, but you get to choose from 8 separate classes. There is only 24 classes in all, 25 with beastlord I guess, that is a third of the classes you get for free. So, saying that it is pay to unlock "everything" is not only misleading, it is wrong. 

All the advetising I saw didnt make me think everything would be free. I knew there would be restrictions, and ten seconds of research told me exactly what they were.

Besides, You still have the option to sub and unlock everything. They never took that away. 

You sound like a real EQ2 lover, still if you saw the advertising that I saw you would think otherwise. Besides don't you find it just unfair that you HAVE TO unlock some classes, a real MMORPG shouldn't be having that!

Besides don't you find it just unfair that you HAVE TO unlock some classes, a real MMORPG shouldn't be having that!

these are your definitions - not the industry,  no reason to single out EQ2

look at any of the games that used to require subs but now call themselves "free to play"

most of them have locked classes

LOTRO, DDO, Age of Conan, Champions Online  -- all have classes you can pay to unlock

when DDO went f2p, DDO vets had to pay to unlock their warforged characters or monks

at least SOE removed race/class restrictions from existing characters

Originally posted by Nadia

Besides don't you find it just unfair that you HAVE TO unlock some classes, a real MMORPG shouldn't be having that!

these are your definitions - not the industry,  no reason to single out EQ2

look at any of the games that used to require subs but now call themselves "free to play"

most of them have locked classes

LOTRO, DDO, Age of Conan, Champions Online  -- all have classes you can pay to unlock

when DDO went f2p, DDO vets had to pay to unlock their warforged characters or monks

at least SOE removed race/class restrictions from existing characters

I don't single out EQ2, just saying its a damn shame thats all. Yeah your right with the LOTRO, DDO, age of conan. But EQ2 not only charges character unlocking but also alot of other stuff just saying.. 

Yeah your right with the LOTRO, DDO, age of conan. But EQ2 not only charges character unlocking but also alot of other stuff just saying.. 

EQ2 gives you more FREE adventure content than any of those others

yes EQ2 tries to nickel and dime you if you dont sub -- BUT THEY ALL DO

the cash shops on LOTRO and DDO have more "pay to win" items too

EQ2 has none of the items listed below (yet)

- p2win tradeskill items 

- p2win rez scrolls     

- p2win mana potions

- p2win health potions

- p2win gear    (EQ2 has no adventure gear on store, only appearance gear)

DDO Store

http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store

LOTRO Store

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?347917-LOTRO-Store-Full-Price-List