Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

people need to lighten up...

i am kind of sick of people going on and on about swtor and its flaws and how its a clone and yada yada. i am no fan boi, but i do like mmos. 

to be honest. people need to lighten up. i played swtor in beta. and many others before it. its a fine game. 

people complain about it being a "wow clone". frankly... lets set the record straight. mmos are mmos and they all have certain features that we have come to expect. they are all clones of each other only in the way that ford and chevy are a clone of a "car". either you are into mmos, or you are not. period. 

a lot of the problem these days is not the game itself. many of them are fine games. we as users are just burned out, and getting old and jaded. 

i see comparisons to sw galaxies. i played that game... i seem to remember a lot of time spent killing cows, girraffs and giant fleas. then in my off time, i hung out in cantinas and cybersexed some chick for a few credits (who probably wasnt even a female but i was young and idealistic and horny)

back then we were willing to spend hours/days grinding away in our mmo of choice...we wished they were as polished as swtor and other modern games were. (go youtube them. the graphics were laughable)

swtor is a fine game. its we, the users that are the problem. we are in our 30s and 40s and we are jaded. we are expecting it to be something that no mmo ever is or ever was. we are pretty much looking to be sucked into the game ala tron style i think. 

lighten up people. enjoy the game. dont rush to level cap... do missions, do the story... make some friends. escape into your toon.... and when you get frustrated, go out side and talk to a real female. 

i liked swtor. i am no fan boi and i only know about star wars because of the movies. but i will tell you what. thats enough for me... i get the basic story and idea and its a nice break from the dark ages... if i hear one more person say "mlady" or don another piece of chain mail, i am going to sith slap someone. 

www.insomniacsbar.com (my little bar that i own in florida)

Comments

• meccariellomeccariello Member Posts: 50

oh... and ps. before you go on and on about WOW and its vast numbers and place as king of mmos... remember this truth.... a VAST MAJORITY of its players are asian gold farmers with multiple accounts who use it as a genuine "job" and make very real $$ to live on from it. 

i liked wow a lot. but lets be honest with ourselves about it. a lot of wow fans have a vested interest in wow staying on top... its their career and a lot fo them flood these message boards to protect their careers by putting down anything new that comes along

www.insomniacsbar.com (my little bar that i own in florida)

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Think the forums are bad here? The official forums with all the crying/complaining/whining of what is in the game, what is not in the game is worse. I don't even read the forums anymore, unless I come across something buggy/broken then I look it up. If these past beta weekends are a sign to come, it's only going to get worse. I turned off chat for those two weekends since most chat was mindless dribble and crap.

PS: Cool bar!

• HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

Amen

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

What there is real females out side ?

Lol i agree totaly with you.

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

+1 for the Truth

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by meccariello

oh... and ps. before you go on and on about WOW and its vast numbers and place as king of mmos... remember this truth.... a VAST MAJORITY of its players are asian gold farmers with multiple accounts who use it as a genuine "job" and make very real $$ to live on from it. 

i liked wow a lot. but lets be honest with ourselves about it. a lot of wow fans have a vested interest in wow staying on top... its their career and a lot fo them flood these message boards to protect their careers by putting down anything new that comes along

I'm not really a fan of WoW but maybe you could explain something.

Prior to the merger type thing with Activision and even after ... there are these really high profit reports from the gaming division based on WoW's subscriber numbers.

So my question is kind of a multi tier thing...

Are you saying that they lie about profits?   Because that would result in very real jail time... 

Are you saying that these proitts are real and thus no laws are being broken.. because this huge army of asians is paying a monthly subscription on all these farming accounts.... then they turn around and not only cover their costs but make a profit by selling gold and power leveling.

Since the VAST majority of accounts are doing the above... a very small number of accounts is actually players...  so either they gold farmers are selling gold to each other or everyone that actually plays wow buys gold...

I remember reading once that in North America alone WoW had 2.5 million active accounts.   This was in one of those business publications that prints things based off public filings (the claim was active aka paying subscribers).   Of course this was a few years ago..

In comparison what used to be "the king" EverQuest... had 450,000'ish maximum concurrent subscribers.

From what I remember the supposed peak of WoW was 12 million or a bit higher... minus the supposed high of around 2.5 million accounts.. the vast majority would have been the rest all located in asia and nobody from europe ever actually played or bought the game.

Either that or vast majority is actually something less than most... or maybe say half.   Which still leaves the idea that 1 of every 2 players logged in at any time is farming...  paying a sub and making a profit on the other half.   Which means every actual player is on average paying at least 15 dollars a month to buy gold or power levels... just so the farmers can break even.

I'm just saying all this based on your claims...

One thing I think you're right about... people do need to lighten up or maybe they should stop lighting up is the actual thing that needs to happen with some of them.

*edit* Oh and I'm pretty sure all those farmers (or a response to this would chime in) use stolen credit card numbers... to either activate accounts or buy cards from the blizzard store.   When the fraud reports come in that would kind of negate the profits on Blizzard's end.    So it all still comes back to how are all these profits by blizzard possible in your scenario.

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by meccariello

LOL...I lived in NPR for a very long time....I'm now in LoL...can't tell you how surprised I was to see where your little bar is located!!  30 minutes away!!

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Seems like some people need to take their own advice...