Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice Command software for MMO's?

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've messed w/any in-game voice command software, (years actually, the last I tried was Game Commander 2) and since I'm gonna be spending the next 3/4 of my life *grin* playing SWTOR I'm thinking about trying out the latest, greatest voice command software with it, to take a little of the load off. Problem is, after some quick Google-Fu, it's not looking like there's been much activity in in-game voice command software development, so thought I'd ask in here where all the gamers hang out.

Anyone aware of a really GOOD program that's current, and hopefully actively developed? Preferably also able to recognize and use a bluetooth headset?

TIA!

GD

GeekDrop.com | GeekDrop Facebook Fan Page | GeekDrop Twitter
Recently voted the interweb's #1 "Geek" site.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

didn't even know they made this type of gaming software

I self identify as a monkey.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I haven't seen any since Microsoft ceased production of the Game Voice stuff.

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Same here...sounds great though, would love to see how it works...

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

They stopped developing it because they couldn't filter out all the bitching and moaning kids do while playing.
    "Fireball!"
    "Gaaawd Fireball!!"
    "Oh c'mooooon!!!"
    "OMG FIREBALL!1!!"
    "WTF fireF**KINball JEEEEZUZ!"

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ Mumble is actively being developed, and open software.

Then there's also the usual TeamSpeak / Ventrilo.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

My roommates weren't happy with me playing Tom Clancy's Endwar with voice commands. Not happy at all...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Mightyking

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ Mumble is actively being developed, and open software.

Not the same thing at all.  Thanks, though.

• GeekDrop.comGeekDrop.com Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Mightyking

Thanks, it looks like that's actually another voice chat software however, rather than an in-game voice command software. i.e. you can't use it to for example say "shield" and have it send the keystrokes that you'd normally use to activate your character's shield spell.

Here are a couple of examples that I've seen so far:

Game Commander 2 - Very old, not even sure it still works anymore

GlovePIE - Seems like it might be ok, but haven't tried it yet. Seems very simplistic and not very actively developed

VAC - Another untested one, I may give ths a try

Say2Play - Just now found this one. Not free.

I was also wondering if anyone's tried using that Dragon Dictate stuff within a game?

If anyone knows of any others, especially if they have experience with it, I'd love to hear. image

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by GeekDrop.com

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've messed w/any in-game voice command software, (years actually, the last I tried was Game Commander 2) and since I'm gonna be spending the next 3/4 of my life *grin* playing SWTOR I'm thinking about trying out the latest, greatest voice command software with it, to take a little of the load off. Problem is, after some quick Google-Fu, it's not looking like there's been much activity in in-game voice command software development, so thought I'd ask in here where all the gamers hang out.

Anyone aware of a really GOOD program that's current, and hopefully actively developed? Preferably also able to recognize and use a bluetooth headset?

TIA!

GD

youtube mate!

You can just watch videos of games and dont even have to talk.

do we really need gaming to get even easier and even less interactive lol?

Not trying to knock on you mate, sorry if i seem that way. But games are getting so easy recently this would just be the death of them for me.

I think I may give Say2Play a shot.  I just found this one too.  I really kind of miss my old Game Voice set up and it would be nice to have it again.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you have a Kinect and some time, you can get it working with your PC. This guy did it with Skyrim:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83wzJwrBK0. It seems to work great for switching weapons. The physical movement for combat (especially bows) looks hard as cr@p though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Telil

Hey all,

TIA!

GD

youtube mate!

Not trying to knock on you mate, sorry if i seem that way. But games are getting so easy recently this would just be the death of them for me.

Easier?,,,Not sure it would be...switching from button mashing to voice activation of abilities... I just don't see how voice activating every ability each time it's needed is easier. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Sonictempal

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Same here...sounds great though, would love to see how it works...

Here you have a presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j_ekugPKqFw

---------------------------

One thing. As I learned on my phone, voice commands take much longer than pushing a button and they are more exhausting.

Try to talk everything you do in games.  Crazy amount of words. Not to mention that kinda lack simultanousness...

Still if anyone like those then go ahead. Just don't see a point.

• GeekDrop.comGeekDrop.com Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Sonictempal

Originally posted by Telil

Hey all,

TIA!

GD

youtube mate!

Easier?,,,Not sure it would be...switching from button mashing to voice activation of abilities... I just don't see how voice activating every ability each time it's needed is easier. 

lol, not for every command ... just for certain ones; especially ones that are used only in the heat of battle where every second counts, like PvPing and a shield spell that only lasts seconds and has a long cooldown. Maybe also for buffs. MMO's usually have a billion commands, and only so many toolbars, so using voice for a few commands isn't really setting it on Easy-Mode, anyymore than say, a mouse with 30 programmable buttons, for example.