Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Putting the WOW numbers thing to rest .....

2»

Comments

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I think you're partially right, but overexaggerating a bit.

TOR definitely doesn't run as smooth as you would think by the quality of certain textures out there (even though it needs to be said that you can definitely turn the graphics way up for this one as well).

However, I was still able to pump out 40-50 FPS on an older comp for TOR, only experiencing noticeable FPS drops in PvP or really crowded areas.

They could have optimised it better though, as I could play Rift and other older games with comparable gfx more smoothly.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The majority of people that are going to play the game could give a damn about how close TOR comes to WOW numbers. In the order of things that are important, it most likely ranks near the bottom.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DrekenDreken Member Posts: 44

One thing that needs to be taken into consideration as Blizzard released Expansions for WoW they also slightly increased the Hardware Requirements.

For instance here are the Original Hardware Requirements for Vanilla WoW:

Pentium 3 / AMD Athlon 800Mhz

256 MB of Ram

32MB 3D Card Nvidia Geforce Class 2 Card and above

Now here are recommended hardware requirements for Cataclysm

Dual Core CPU

2 GB of Ram

256 MB Nvidia Geforce 8600 or ATI Radeon HD 2600

And here is SWTOR's Hardware Requirements

Dual Core CPU

2 GB of Ram

ATI X1800 or better* · nVidia 7800 or better* · Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*  

Yeah looks like anyone that wants to jump ship from WoW to SWTOR won't have to upgrade their PC.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by monoth

You can't judge performance of a MMO on beta....  Don't forget you have debugging tools and other things running in the background, the final game should run better and faster then the beta version.

Video cards that might of struggle a bit in beta might run fun come Live.  Weill find out in 2 days :)

Wishful thinking really.

• eKoInfernoeKoInferno Member Posts: 6

So fucking sick of these wow yay/nay threads...

I wish I could invent a program that slaps people in the face a second before they try to click on the post button, and post wow bs.

A second try would end up in a punch, then stab then headshot.

I would get so many facebook-friends. image

• mainogremainogre Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by Silax

When WoW was first released it didnt run on walmart computers at all.

Untrue. WoW requirements have always been pretty low. 

Not everyone has to run at 60 FPS, and in WoW for the most part you CAN if you're just leveling. 

actually this is true. when wow came out, your typical "walmart" home computer was a very low end Emachine system. With low setting, i was seeing people getting 5-10 fps MAX

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Originally posted by Dreken

Dual Core CPU

2 GB of Ram

ATI X1800 or better* · nVidia 7800 or better* · Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*  

Yeah looks like anyone that wants to jump ship from WoW to SWTOR won't have to upgrade their PC.

Problem is that this is a lie. You won't get a playable framerate even on low with "integrated graphics", no way in hell. It might start with the lowest settings - in which case the game can't even compete with the oldest of F2P-MMOs in terms of graphics - but playable? No.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

This site needs a system where your topic gets review from mods first before appearing on the general discussion. Last time i checked this is a TOR forum but all i see are WoW vs TOR , GW2 vs TOR, and tons of other useless threads. Really nothing constructive ever gets posted on these threads. 

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

Think MMORPG's staff cant handle all the BS-posts and just let it go...

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Guileplayer

This site needs a system where your topic gets review from mods first before appearing on the general discussion. Last time i checked this is a TOR forum but all i see are WoW vs TOR , GW2 vs TOR, and tons of other useless threads. Really nothing constructive ever gets posted on these threads. 

Welcome to the internet, here especially, Ive been here for years and yes it has always been like this.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

Dual Core CPU

2 GB of Ram

Problem is that this is a lie. You won't get a playable framerate even on low with "integrated graphics", no way in hell. It might start with the lowest settings - in which case the game can't even compete with the oldest of F2P-MMOs in terms of graphics - but playable? No.

You are wrong. Completely.   You are trying to judge system performance (of which you have little to no knowledge of), on a beta test that had debugging software running (Basically 2 copies of the game running at the same time), as well as the devs saying the graphics engine itself was severly restricted and had some bugs which meant that most GPU's were trying to process teh same image twice, therefore getting very low performance.

A lot of integrated graphics can indeed run this game. Read the tech specs again. It says MINIMUM. Meaning the absolute basic specs required to run the game. It doesnt state " oh you will get 30 fps with this card",

In short, it helps A LOT, if you have some basic knowledge of what you are talking about. You dont seem to have ANY.

• mainogremainogre Member UncommonPosts: 36

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

Dual Core CPU

2 GB of Ram

FYI nvidia 7800 came out about 6 years ago. So i would think most peoples computers could handle this game.

Also if you are refering to preformance in the beta, beta was run on a "stress test" to test their servers

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Originally posted by PapaB34R

Welcome to the internet, here especially, Ive been here for years and yes it has always been like this.

i have been to other sites man like gamefaqs or mmo-champion, neogaf and even gamefaqs have better threads than the junk we get here. And just go to mmo-champion swtor boards man. Already people discussing game related mechanics. You won't see a single junk threads like the ones we see here...And mmo-chapmion has a vast WoW community,.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

Originally posted by PapaB34R

i have been to other sites man like gamefaqs or mmo-champion, neogaf and even gamefaqs have better threads than the junk we get here. And just go to mmo-champion swtor boards man. Already people discussing game related mechanics. You won't see a single junk threads like the ones we see here...And mmo-chapmion has a vast WoW community,.

Thanks for the tip, been looking for a better mmorpg.com alternative!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

TOR uses a much newer engine that is more demanding, so any flaws in it are very obvious and have a noticable hit on performance.  WOW's engine is something like 8 years old, any sloppy coding is covered up by massively overpowered hardware.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I dont know,what is it with these fangirls of biowares new 'clone wars with voices' mmo. It seems to me that most are jaded ex WOW players who blames Blizzard for wasting years of their lives running around in Azaroth.Lets just get this out of the way 'swtor is not going to beat WOW' not this year or any other year. Instead of plotting WOW downfall go and enjoy waving your magic swords in space and enjoy the game you have paid for. Blizzard has Asia covered and Brasil and plenty of subs in the west,yeah its lost a couple of mill but that dont mean those couple of mill are going to run to biowares 'clone wars with voices' at all. Roll ob the early start and release because you will be gone,no need to post here when you are having so much fun. And before i get the usual 'go back to WOW' crap,i left that game before battle grounds was introduced.

Here you go, this kid didn't even read the stupid post, he just assumes he knows what he's talking about and then goes on to a childish rant about clone wars with voices and wow and bla bla bla.

That is the poster child for opponents of SWTOR, an insult filled tantrum, tempered with a mindless paragraph of idiocy.

but srsly , he made a compelling argument here.

SWTOR's language-packs are only in german, french and english . That means the target audiences would probz be english speaking community and major europes .

Considering now WoW is reaching Asia and brazil ( world's largest and growing population&economics) , i fear that WoW has an earlier headstart here ..

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Silly rabbit, the WOW numbers thing will never go away until WOW does.  People have too much invested in the irrational hate of the game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Tom's hardware, if they tested the game did so testing the beta, & there are a whole bunch of things running in the game during the beta that are not during the released live game in most modern game development, for example bug-testing software, logging software, background system metrics etc etc & all of those serve to bog things down, by release a ton of that isn't running, much better hardware optimisations have been done etc.

So running beta & running live wont be the same thing at all, though I don't doubt that it will require more resources than WoW, it's engine is different & while I think it'll happily run on machines with dual-core cpu's & add-in gfx cards it probably will not run on a bog-basic machine intended for spreadsheets & net surfing.

• devontedevonte Member UncommonPosts: 39

No, what actually puts the WOW numbers thing to rest is intelligence not this thread. Most of WOW's subsribers are asians with multiple accouints that pay $1 a month. So no  other game will have WoW's amount of subscribers, not because WOW is good or has low system requirements but just because it's so cheap for asians.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ipeka

Originally posted by rdrpappy

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I dont know,what is it with these fangirls of biowares new 'clone wars with voices' mmo. It seems to me that most are jaded ex WOW players who blames Blizzard for wasting years of their lives running around in Azaroth.Lets just get this out of the way 'swtor is not going to beat WOW' not this year or any other year. Instead of plotting WOW downfall go and enjoy waving your magic swords in space and enjoy the game you have paid for. Blizzard has Asia covered and Brasil and plenty of subs in the west,yeah its lost a couple of mill but that dont mean those couple of mill are going to run to biowares 'clone wars with voices' at all. Roll ob the early start and release because you will be gone,no need to post here when you are having so much fun. And before i get the usual 'go back to WOW' crap,i left that game before battle grounds was introduced.

Here you go, this kid didn't even read the stupid post, he just assumes he knows what he's talking about and then goes on to a childish rant about clone wars with voices and wow and bla bla bla.

That is the poster child for opponents of SWTOR, an insult filled tantrum, tempered with a mindless paragraph of idiocy.

but srsly , he made a compelling argument here.

SWTOR's language-packs are only in german, french and english . That means the target audiences would probz be english speaking community and major europes .

Considering now WoW is reaching Asia and brazil ( world's largest and growing population&economics) , i fear that WoW has an earlier headstart here ..

Lmfao..The person you quoted really does not understand that WOW is vast in Asia and BioWares new single player hybrid really is not on the target in Asia.They dont get Star Wars and BioWare are not even on the same page as Blizzard.As i said in my first post that touched a few nerves.Swtor fans seem hell bent on beating WOW and many seem like jaded x WOW players.Lets see if many of them are still paying a monthly sub three months down the line,we have seen it time and again for the last 7 years.To me SWTOR reminds me of clone wars except it has voice overs covering the sad truth that its just your typical 'more of the same' and we already know that its not enough to be 'more of the same' and hold subs.Its new and shiny and just like any MNO that is new and shiny everyone or some are excited.BioWares new single play hybrid has no chance of beating WOW so people might as well enjoy what they have paid for instead wishful thinking.

For the love of god, can MMORPG staff get their act together and close threads like these.

FFS, EVERY. SINGLE. THREAD. on this god forsaken forum ends up in a wow-rant.

mmorpg.com has really changed last couple of years, to bad the wow yay-nay kids didnt...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Bit off topic, but playing on a cell phone part sound interesting. Imagine if we can stream to my cell phone to play. Another thing. What if Gameloft made a clone for smartphones. Lol. Awesome

Gameloft did. It is the most wow cloniest game ever. It's called Order and Chaos online. It's actually really darn good for a cell phone game. Has dungeons and everything. 

Hint hint, I was taking about a clone of SWTOR

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i dont think thats true. i dont think tor fans want tor to beat wow. Thats a ridiculous feat. Dont get me wrong i belive it can match or not excceed old swg numbers. 

I just dont see 14 million players ever playign tor. While star wars is huge in alot of places, even asia some people like star wars dont kid yourself .

That said lets face it the big star wars fans are us and europe and thats where tor may have more subs then wow. not overall but in us and europe they may have more subs in those regions then wow has in those regions.

I dont want tor to beat wow in subs i just want it to have enough subs to go on for 10 yrs like alot of the mmos of the past have done. 

I just want tor to be a success cause i liove it. I dont think those that want tor to beat wow are jaded ex wow players either. On mmorpg there are tons of wow haters who never played wow who want some game any game to beat wow.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Zeal77

McDonalds sells the most hamburgers worldwide. That doesn't make it the best burger. WoW has the most subs because it's the easiest MMO to get "uber" in. So easy a caveman can do it. Or a nine year-old punk kid.

Mc Donalds is the best, they don't just sell burgers. They excel in multiple areas. That's why they are best. You ignore that

That's a pretty awful way to spin that argument, I gotta be honest.

McD's succeeds because it's fast, convenient and easy on the wallet.... not because of the quality of its food or service.

Just like in the original quote, you leave out what's good about mc Donalds, WoW, SWTOR, etc.

Mcdonalds also offers kids toys and play places. many lower ranking fast food don't do this, so why expect to pass McD for top, when mcD goes after a larger base of consumers. Also you act as if your opinion of what is qualiy is the only opinion out there. That's why this mcD comparing mess never works. People vote with their wallets. And these big corps win.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by dubyahite

Bit off topic, but playing on a cell phone part sound interesting. Imagine if we can stream to my cell phone to play. Another thing. What if Gameloft made a clone for smartphones. Lol. Awesome

Gameloft did. It is the most wow cloniest game ever. It's called Order and Chaos online. It's actually really darn good for a cell phone game. Has dungeons and everything. 

Hint hint, I was taking about a clone of SWTOR

I'm giving it 2 months tops, i mean they already have Order and Chaos, just slap those Sci-fi skins over it, add some VO and its done.