Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you had to choose one IP/World for the next super quality, extreme good/succesful fantasy MMO. Wh

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Wow tough one because I love both Forgotten Realms and Dragon Lance, but if I had to choose I'd go Forgotten Realms.    If I had made the list though I would have added Elf Quest!

Elf Quest would make an awesome IP for an MMORPG.    You can now read online, for free, every Elf Quest graphic novel in print.  Just click >>> here.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

I know with all these skyrim thing going on, but i really wanted TES MMO, combining all regions.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by Zeal77

Planescape: Torment

This^

I thought that, was going to put it down then saw your post.

Really an IP with endless settings and possibilities that all hinge around Sigil, the city of doors.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Malazan book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson. Very deep amazing world.

or samari jack

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Read the first WoT book and it was amazing, just a shame i got side tracked by school and didnt read the rest. Maybe if i get my knidle this xmas i will read the rest. A mmo based off WoT i think would be amazing. Also loved the Mistborn trilogy and the chronicles of the necromancer.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

ravenloft.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Nethermancer

Malazan book of the Fallen series by Steven Erickson. Very deep amazing world.

or samari jack

I voted Forgotten Realms, but Samurai Jack would be sweet ;)

• BekisoBekiso Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Elricmerren

Originally posted by Bekiso

Gritty, dark scifi/cyberpunk game with organized, corporate high-caste humans living in big cities VS anarchist, low-caste humans living in deserts, sewers, scrapyards etc, and some work as servants. Through evolution a notable breed difference develops between these two parties. Space travel so advanced, that couple of close planets are habitated and mining of minerals extends to outskirts of the galaxy.

Later in the game's story maybe Skynet or aliens, I don't know which! The cheesier the better. No, ZOMBIES.

A slightly differeing idea of the ip setting for Vampire hunter D really. In that setting the world's culture and way of livng ended in a great war or cataclysm. Then a caste/race of Vampires that had hide before the events rises into the world along side being, demons, ans both mutant or cybernetuc being created via either magic or technology even possibly both of them. After rising from the ashes of the prior world's cultural remains they enslave/enthrall the remaining humanoids in the world into a society. Humans are food to the vampires even though they created a blood substitute they still prefer true human blood to synthetic blood. As the vampirs attained a point of scientific as well as mystic supreme levels they found that they had to fall after this zenith. As they fell the society they had created falls with them, and freeing humanity from the, Also in the world created from a union of a vampire as well as human women/man a race called Damphir that was half human, and hal vampiric holding much of the powers of the vampires yet little of their weaknesses. Being able to play as a Damphir, mutant, vampire, human, r even cyborgs or such in a game that is both high fantasy, sci fi and yeet a waste-land type ip setting would be perfect to me.

Have you played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? I think it has quite good take on vampires (without apocalyptic setting), but I didn't play it far though. A lot of people regard it well. You probably have played it though, I'm guessing.

E: Of course it set in some book or something, but I know nothing about that! Oh right, World of Darkness is being made by CCP, or perhaps it's scrapped idea.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Dragonlance got my vote, but usually in these threads I say No IP is Best.

A new IP means the MMORPG will make all its design decisions in the best interest of the game.  World design will follow game design, rather than game design having to make a few concessions to fit in a pre-existing universe.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Planescape — the most bizarre, fun and original fantasy world I've had the plesure of playing in.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

At least half of these already exist as MMO's..

My obvious choice is Mass Effect. That universe is made to be a MMO. Bioware should never touched SW since they could never possibly make a game that can be worthy of it on current technology, and instead focus on making a Mass Effect Online.

Oh but you mean fantasy. Then it's Elder Scrolls. Which won't happen.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

I would actually vote for  "Amber"- the nine princes etc.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Of the list, I think WoT would be the most interesting, if done well. I think it would work best in the Age of Legends or right after the Breaking. The Power would have to be crazy powerful, but very difficult to play.

Of course, I think we still need something set in Faerun that is really awesome. DDO was in the wrong place, and totally missed what is so wonderful about D&D. Forgotten Realms and Faerun are perhaps the best example of massive world where anything is possible, and anyone can be anything.

A Lord of the Rings would be great, if it was closer in feeling to Middle Earth Online, and less Lord of the Rings Online. By which I mean, it should be more about being someone in the world and less about being the "hero." In Middle Earth, you can't be the hero. We know all about the heroes. The players will never be the heroes. It should be about adventuring and exploring, not taking down the Witch King. Let's be serious here.

And, though they will never be about it, I don't think, Tamriel would just be great. I mean, just great.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

DUNE

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

DragonLance.

Such a rich ip and almost never used in games.. god knows why.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Elricmerren

Gritty, dark scifi/cyberpunk game with organized, corporate high-caste humans living in big cities VS anarchist, low-caste humans living in deserts, sewers, scrapyards etc, and some work as servants. Through evolution a notable breed difference develops between these two parties. Space travel so advanced, that couple of close planets are habitated and mining of minerals extends to outskirts of the galaxy.

Later in the game's story maybe Skynet or aliens, I don't know which! The cheesier the better. No, ZOMBIES.

A slightly differeing idea of the ip setting for Vampire hunter D really. In that setting the world's culture and way of livng ended in a great war or cataclysm. Then a caste/race of Vampires that had hide before the events rises into the world along side being, demons, ans both mutant or cybernetuc being created via either magic or technology even possibly both of them. After rising from the ashes of the prior world's cultural remains they enslave/enthrall the remaining humanoids in the world into a society. Humans are food to the vampires even though they created a blood substitute they still prefer true human blood to synthetic blood. As the vampirs attained a point of scientific as well as mystic supreme levels they found that they had to fall after this zenith. As they fell the society they had created falls with them, and freeing humanity from the, Also in the world created from a union of a vampire as well as human women/man a race called Damphir that was half human, and hal vampiric holding much of the powers of the vampires yet little of their weaknesses. Being able to play as a Damphir, mutant, vampire, human, r even cyborgs or such in a game that is both high fantasy, sci fi and yeet a waste-land type ip setting would be perfect to me.

Have you played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? I think it has quite good take on vampires (without apocalyptic setting), but I didn't play it far though. A lot of people regard it well. You probably have played it though, I'm guessing.

E: Of course it set in some book or something, but I know nothing about that! Oh right, World of Darkness is being made by CCP, or perhaps it's scrapped idea.

Oh yeah the clans, blood arts and such were vary well done .  plaayed a Fiend or Flesh-shaper that actually transformed his friends and loved ones into a suit of amor as well as his wife into a sword  (all still living  and organic, and also senient.) as he gained a deep seated fear of not being able to protect them as well as losing them. Later on the characetr grew to create a unique blood liine called the Dampeals that upon being turned had thier bloodlust , as well as remaining humanity placed into a item/weapon created from their body. The item/weapon that is called a Birth-weapon gave them increased ability to resist their blood-loust/beast, they also have icy blue blood that had blue flames rising off it, but would chill the peole hit by it as a symbol that much of thier passion was within their Birth-weapon.

I actually have started creating my own D&D/pnp style of table top rpg setting that has been in the works for about 8 years, though still not finsihed i do play it alot when i get the time with friends. It uss many machinics as well as deas from various games, settings, and other thigns to draw inspiration for it from. I actually have about 29 unique races that are playable, as well as about 18 template/base classes for the setting based on the areas of the setting peopel are in and such mind you.

Also liked the fallen setting in wod. YEt honestly in Faerun you want to go with thray, or other areas that are litttle kmown or used many of the areas are offen to used. Examples would be the blade coast, and such where manyof the her's or what not came from. The red steel setting is not offen used or known of that is more of run-down cental ameraca set during the times after the fall of the maya but befroe the spanish came. I liked that setting quite abit.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

C.S Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Dwarfman420

None of thee above.

Ultima Online

Agreed....

Where the hell is the dark age of camelot ip?

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Twilight.

I kid. :D

now I poop on you.

Originally posted by Krytycal

Twilight.

I kid. :D

No do not kid it would get rid of alot of those that would complain in true traditional vampiric ips that they are not twilight, as such bring on the twilight Ip to save future vampiric Ip from the twilight fans.

Twilight only if it comes with ecipletic seziure causing light shows.

• indrctindrct Member UncommonPosts: 86

I'm surprised so many people know about WoT.  If it were done right... omg Path of Daggers the MMO O.O

Originally posted by Ausare

Twilight only if it comes with ecipletic seziure causing light shows.

No i would hook the twilight with the company doing the true vampiric ips to soak money from the Twilight ip to keep our glorious Vampiric ip going strong even in days of loss of faith in the,. If you kill or make the players incapastitated they do not pay.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Forgotten Realms.

It has more material written for it than every other fantasy combined.

And since its itself nexus of all fantasy. Its perfect.