Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR 1080 - Animation Quality in SLOW-MO - Jedi Sentinel Attacks

Comments

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Best moves related to anything Star War IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7q-u0JTR4&feature=related

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• quickshotzquickshotz Member Posts: 215

And since when was I trying to side with good or bad? I just posted it, u all have turned it into a whats better then what post. personaly I really dont care what is better.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Kuinn

Remember most of the whine here at mmorpg.com at least, is based on the first 10 levels. Or no levels at all.

Wasn't it Blizzard that did a study showing that a huge percentage of players who didn't subscribe past the free month never even made it past level 15?

First impressions are important, and I think animation quality can be a major part of that.

First impressions are important ofcourse, I've personally passed on some games (including mmorpgs) based on first impressions. I also understand the first levels especially are extreme easy mode so that some more casual or bad players dont feel like they are being left out, or just for tutorial purposes, in fact I cant even remember a single player game that was hard from the get go. If a person quits before lvl15 there's propably something else than the difficulty in the game that they dont like.

What comes to animations, TOR should do extremely well in this department when it comes to first impressions since it has really good animations.

Just for trivia, WAR was one of the games that I quit eventually one of the big reasons being piss poor animations on chars and mobs, not to mention the bugs in the animations. TOR however is doing fine, and I personally dont feel it deserves to be whined about the animations, and tbh, I dont even believe the animation whine is honest.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Just for trivia, WAR was one of the games that I quit eventually one of the big reasons being piss poor animations on chars and mobs, not to mention the bugs in the animations. TOR however is doing fine, and I personally dont feel it deserves to be whined about the animations, and tbh, I dont even believe the animation whine is honest.

I agree that SWTOR animations are better than WAR or LoTRO (just look at starter area wolf, walks like it has 3 legs), but it still does not look like it took enough time and love from developers, for such a huge title.

That does not mean it will be a bad game or that people won't have fun in it, it's just a little bit dissapointing.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by wizyy

Originally posted by sanosukex

AoC combat ones were pretty good the deathblow animations were great but the jumping!!! like LOTRO online the jumping animation was just horrifyingly bad. But Swtor one isn't much better. I dunno why but jumping animations bother me so much when they are done bad and there are pretty awful in most MMOs

Agreed completely, I can live without a jumping animation in a MMORPG, but if it's done and done so horribly like in AoC or LoTRO.... ugh.

Ruins the game for me (especially when some ugly caster is jumping up and down on my perfect warrior's corpse :P)

I think WoW did a decent job with their Jumping animations -- although I do agree it can be annoying.

Personally, if I have to see jumping, I want to see good animaitons, instead of the generic potato sac race hop.

yea wow's were fine especially elf races with the little roll they did every now and then. A lot of games have trouble with jumping animations not sure why even lot of single player games the jumping animations are really bad compared to the rest of the animations

Originally posted by wizyy

I agree that SWTOR animations are better than WAR or LoTRO (just look at starter area wolf, walks like it has 3 legs), but it still does not look like it took enough time and love from developers, for such a huge title.

That does not mean it will be a bad game or that people won't have fun in it, it's just a little bit dissapointing.

sums up everything I've tested in beta.... hopefully the content patches come fast...

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Ginaz

That chick is hot :)

Originally posted by BarryManilow

Originally posted by Ginaz

That chick is hot :)

yea

Olivia Munn!

so hot

• velebnicekvelebnicek Member UncommonPosts: 85

Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by observer
    The player animations are great. The enemy AI just stand there though, as if they're immovable.
    They do move sometimes a little :-), but I agree that I wish the AI was better. Then I remember that there has yet to be AI that is intelligent in ANY MMO out today and I don't see it getting any better with GW2. 

Too bad Tabula Rasa is dead.
    I hope some day somebody creates a feeling of "stuff happening around you" that that game was able to provide.
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Kuinn
    Remember most of the whine here at mmorpg.com at least, is based on the first 10 levels. Or no levels at all.

Wasn't it Blizzard that did a study showing that a huge percentage of players who didn't subscribe past the free month never even made it past level 15?
    First impressions are important, and I think animation quality can be a major part of that.

That was the new FTP model, not people who bought the game and had 30 days free and then decided to leave town.

Usually there are so many restrictions on many FTP games that most of those trying don't sub anyways, not just for Blizzard because you don't get what the game is really like.

This is why people quit after the trial:

Now, under the new program called World of Warcraft Starter Edition, new players can play at their own pace without having to worry that the free trial will expire. When they reach level 20, they can continue playing but will stop earning experience, making it impossible to level up. To play past level 20, new players will need to upgrade to the full version of the game, which can be done online here.

Although there’s no time limit for trial players, there’s a great deal of other restrictions besides the 20-level limit: Trial players can have a maximum of 100 gold; their trade skills are capped at 100 ranks; they are unable to trade in the Auction House or join guilds; their chat options are limited; and they cannot invite other players into a party and so on.

In short, the game itself may be free, but it’s a far cry from the full World of Warcraft experience.

Who wants to play a mmo solo only and think that's the experience you'll get?
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by velebnicek
    Originally posted by keithian

Originally posted by observer
    The player animations are great. The enemy AI just stand there though, as if they're immovable.
    They do move sometimes a little :-), but I agree that I wish the AI was better. Then I remember that there has yet to be AI that is intelligent in ANY MMO out today and I don't see it getting any better with GW2. 

Too bad Tabula Rasa is dead.
    I hope some day somebody creates a feeling of "stuff happening around you" that that game was able to provide.

Tabula Rasa has been dead for over two years now. Very few people actually miss it or games like Shadowbane and Auto Assault.

Those games died for a reason, mainly because more people seemed to like it now that it's dead than when it was alive.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

So, for the people complaining about animations in this game, what are you actually complaining about?  Running and jumping?  Because there is no way anyone could be complaining about actual combat animations.  Bioware nailed that.  

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by popinjay
    Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by popinjay

I did get a chance to play it in CBT2, and the combat was more fluid than what you find in SW:ToR and it requires you to pay attention to your position when attacking and defending, because you can dodge and block attacks, as well as position yourself so that the enemy has to turn and face you to actually hit you.   Standing toe-to-toe in this game is not recommended.  You also do more damage to your target if you can get behind of out flank them.

Positioning does matter in TOR too,  but positioning overall means a lot in other games like Phantasy Star,  TERA,  GW and so on.     Blade and Soul will not change the way MMOs are created or the way they are played.  It will not be a new revolution.  We already have games on the market with very fluid and different combat,  DCUO for instance,  which actually puts a lot more emphasis on skillful combat than Blade and Soul (even in PvE) and does it very well.    

Basically, all these new MMOs that people think are somehow inspirations I was playing back on the dreamcast...  there is nothing new about them or gamechanging.  That is all.

Not from my game experience it doesn't.   Most combat is static, stand face to face and play whack-the-mole. 

Not sure what classes you've played in ToR, but postitioning very important from Smugglers needing cover to Jedis who do massive crit damage from behind.

This doesn't look to be the case in B and S. B and S is just more DCUO combat, roll/dodge, attack roll/dodge. It's fun but Blade and Soul really isn't something revolutionary.

Just bigger boobs (arguably) and nicer graphics than DCUO.imageimage

I hope the armor in the game are going to be AMAZING because the caracthere look totally normal and not sexy to be a girl or a man ... seriously Its missing some boobs ...

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

So, for the people complaining about animations in this game, what are you actually complaining about?  Running and jumping?  Because there is no way anyone could be complaining about actual combat animations.  Bioware nailed that.  

jumping in this game is pretty bad.. not as bad as conan or LOTRO but still not good. And as for the rest a well.. a lot of the animations in themself are very good the main issue is when they come together it just doesn't look or feel right when playing especially in PVP. Melee blaster deflection animation is good but attacking not so much. When you have multiple people fighting using various animations they just don't work well together at all.. The range attacks aren't as noticable because well for the most part its ranged and you are just sitting back shooting. BH has so great ones with the jet pack as well. Operative and smuggler have some of the worst animations I have seen in the game. The stealth opener ones are laughably bad. And like I said if you sit there in PVE and look at them they look fine solo for the most part but throwing a ton of PC's together and watching how all the animations work togther is a pretty big mess aside from lightsaber blaster deflection.

After saying that most MMOs have the same or similar issue when it comes to PVP. Although for me watching videos of PVP in some other MMOs is at least entertaining. Here unless you are actually playing watching it is just pretty dull. This mostly comes from the slower pace of combat.

Either way I'm sure you disagree completley and think I'm out of my mind but I have been playing these games since they first started and yes its just my opinion but its my opinion after playing 100+ of these types of games over the years(paid and free ones)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

My main complaint it that they're very dull.  Too many (not all, but most) of them are just too basic, wacking away, like they don't take any sort of skill or athleticism.  They need more flare, and if they're going to use mo-cap, they should be hiring skilled martial artists, not just mo-capping one of the coders waving around a wiffle-ball bat.

The other complaint I've seen a few times has more to do with the flow and pacing of the animations.  I think the long GCD is to blame for this one, and maybe they lack a good system for animations superseding one another.  

Could also be related to a lack of animations between attacks, like for when you get hit, when you don't, etc. It looks bad when you see someone getting hit by a lightsaber, and they don't even flinch or dodge or anything.

Then there's the issue of how enemies react to combat, which is almost a seperate AI issue, but related.  The way most just stand in one place shooting at flat intervals, without moving much at all, in any way, for any reason.  It's monotonous, and just looks especially bad when guns are involved.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

About 2 of the comments previously:

1. Wow's smoothness in animations: They cheat. They always have cheated. In Wow you mainly see your auto attack and very few key power animations with your character. When you use a power your auto-attack animation is turned off (yet the damage isn't so you get damage outside of any associated animation) and you get either a graphical overlay effect that has nothing to do with your character or an actual power animation (over riding your auto-attack). It feels smooth because at any given moment your character isn't actually showing what it is actually doing. That is called cheating for effect. In some of the newer games the developers have been trying to created realistic animation to effect and have been struggling to do so as it is a much greater challenge.

2. SWG love: I enjoyed several elements to that game. Sadly I hated far more. I also played a TKM pre-NGE and the animations were indeed very good, however ... 99% of pve combat ended up as Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, dead mob, move on to next, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3, Unarmed Combo 3 ...

Unfortunately the stiffness of Swtor may be it's downfall for many. I know my immersion is pushed to the point of shattering due to the lack of 'real life' feel in this game.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous

1. Wow's smoothness in animations: They cheat. They always have cheated. In Wow you mainly see your auto attack and very few key power animations with your character. When you use a power your auto-attack animation is turned off (yet the damage isn't so you get damage outside of any associated animation) and you get either a graphical overlay effect that has nothing to do with your character or an actual power animation (over riding your auto-attack). It feels smooth because at any given moment your character isn't actually showing what it is actually doing. That is called cheating for effect. In some of the newer games the developers have been trying to created realistic animation to effect and have been struggling to do so as it is a much greater challenge.

dunno if you can really call it cheating because its pretty much what pretty much all MMOs did back then and most still do today. But auto-attack does make things feel more fluid since you always have some sort of animation going. They need more instant cast abilities to fill in those gaps to make things feel like combat is flowing little smoother.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by nerovipus32

these animations are a million times better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gX09YgZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dieS4enLsDY

Whoa. Thanks for posting these, they are just f*cking amazing! Last mmorpg that had kinda neat animations was Vanguard. But that was nothing compared to this. It's just looks so easy and realistic.

• quickshotzquickshotz Member Posts: 215

U really judge animations of how much movement there is and not the fluidity of the movement.... meh glad you dont design games

Originally posted by quickshotz

U really judge animations of how much movement there is and not the fluidity of the movement.... meh glad you dont design games

fluidity is great but you also have to look at how those individual animations react with the rest of the animations in the game. Now in PVE it's not very noticable since you are basically doing one character animation at a time vs a NPC that pretty much just auto attacks. The issue is in PVP when multiple characters are using multiple character combat animations. Some of them work well like the blaster deflection from lightsabers but many just do not go well together. Overall it makes the PVP feel awkward and not very fluid at all. You can watch any PVP video on youtube and see what I mean although many seem to feel its amazingly fluid and natural feeling but I just don't see it and it didn't feel fluid in my limited PVP experience in the game.

• Originally posted by sanosukex

dunno if you can really call it cheating because its pretty much what pretty much all MMOs did back then and most still do today. But auto-attack does make things feel more fluid since you always have some sort of animation going. They need more instant cast abilities to fill in those gaps to make things feel like combat is flowing little smoother.

All classes have instant abilities that cost no resources which can be used as filler in-between the more powerful attacks.

Originally posted by Axxar

All classes have instant abilities that cost no resources which can be used as filler in-between the more powerful attacks.

yes they do but you have a lot more cast time abilities as well compared to other similar games making combat feel somewhat slower
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

yes they do but you have a lot more cast time abilities as well compared to other similar games making combat feel somewhat slower

Not really,  you have a lot of instant abilities,  many of which you can use while moving...  some classes have more cast time abilities than others.

The higher the level, the more abilities you have to choose from.  For example, Consulars have a lot of abilities that use acasting bar under 20,  but after 20 you pick up a lot of other abilities that let you cast instantly or use while moving... not to mention passives that reduce casting time by quite a bit,  or altogether in some cases.

Not really,  you have a lot of instant abilities,  many of which you can use while moving...  some classes have more cast time abilities than others.

The higher the level, the more abilities you have to choose from.  For example, Consulars have a lot of abilities that use acasting bar under 20,  but after 20 you pick up a lot of other abilities that let you cast instantly or use while moving... not to mention passives that reduce casting time by quite a bit,  or altogether in some cases.

depends on class some a lot more so than others

depends on class some a lot more so than others