Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you had to choose one IP/World for the next super quality, extreme good/succesful fantasy MMO. Wh

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I picked Discworld because it seems ideally suited to having a few million extra people creating stories inside the world. The other IPs seem too restricted because they already have a story arc for the worlds...they have a beginning, middle and end and players would have no impact on that. Discworld isn't comprised of a world story, it's comprised of a lot of stories about a lot of individuals.

If I was going to hand pick an IP, I'd go with one of the following:

• H.P. Lovecraft, set in the 20's. The United States, the Dreamlands, and Leng Plateau would be among the available locations. Mostly a story driven theme park game.
    • Zombie Apocalypse - of course. Full on sandbox game.
    • Wild, Wild West - Victorian Steampunk with Magic in the Old West. Combination theme park and sandbox game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

sorry, i could not list more fantasy IPs.... just 10 answers per poll...  btw. This poll is JUST fantasy IPs no halo or such... :-)

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

1. RuneQuest

2. H.P. Lovecraft
  • ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

Even though it is older then most i woul love to see the shining force game ips, or wild arm the first game's ip used.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Forgotten realms. 

same

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• DM19DM19 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Your list is a bit short really.

planetside 2 i'd love to see take off.

Swtor i'd like to see do well till PS2 is out lol.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by kolsovo

Voted DragonLance.

I wanna be a god damned knight of Solamnia RIGHT NOW!!!

That would be great.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

My choice doesn't quite fit the topic because it's Sci-Fi.  I think Starship Troopers would make a fantastic MMO.  Campy content, lots of fighting, advancement in the military (multiple branches), gear oriented combat... it's almost too easy.  Watch the movie 20 times then start building.

No, really DON'T watch the movie. It was probably the worst book to film translation I've ever seen. Read the book 20 times and start building.

Personally I'd like to see David Gemell's Drenai series translated to an MMO.

Record of lodoss ways, Vampire hunter D, trinity blood, also for honorable mentsion since still two of my favorite series of anime ips Tekkaman Blade, and Guyver.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance would be nice. Both have quite a lot of content to work with.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I want a Stargate MMO.  The possibilities for a game like that boggles the mind. SG: Atlantis could be an expansion.  I would play a Wraith or Asmodian. I would be entertained and my wife wouldn't see me away from my computer for 2-3 years.

Everyone wins!

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Considering most MMO's have been, up to this point, mainly sword and sorcery type games...It's amazing that they haven't done a decent D&D game based on either forgotten realms or dragonlance (or hell even the ravenloft seting would be a great MMO)

Voted for Dragonlance

Originally posted by slickbizzle

I want a Stargate MMO.  The possibilities for a game like that boggles the mind. SG: Atlantis could be an expansion.  I would play a Wraith or Asmodian. I would be entertained and my wife wouldn't see me away from my computer for 2-3 years.

Everyone wins!

They did make one but it failed in beta. 

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

My choice doesn't quite fit the topic because it's Sci-Fi.  I think Starship Troopers would make a fantastic MMO.  Campy content, lots of fighting, advancement in the military (multiple branches), gear oriented combat... it's almost too easy.  Watch the movie 20 times then start building.

No, really DON'T watch the movie. It was probably the worst book to film translation I've ever seen. Read the book 20 times and start building.

Personally I'd like to see David Gemell's Drenai series translated to an MMO.

I've thought about this in the past and love to see one made but based more on the anime then the movie.

i've never had a chance to read the book but did hear the anime was based a lot closer to it then the movie.

For D&D ips what about dark sun, or grayhawk, birthright (that is one of the settings i gew up in playing.), but i would agree ravenloft's systems and machanics would be interesting to see inmmos like the system for becoming a darklord.

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by Drekker17

None of those, I want an original IP.

Question for others though: Was their ever a Dragon Lance MMO? because I remember when I first was interested in MMOs and found out about a Dragonlance one...however I look now and can't find any info on it. How I found out about it was looking up example of MMORPGs, it was long before I found  this site.

Probably thinking of old old SSI Dragonlance Gold Box Series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Box

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• KitynKityn Member UncommonPosts: 117

None of the above. I would choose GW2. A Palladium Books RIFTS would be a nice MMO but I do not think that current tech can do it and make it work.

• daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

Baldurs Gate

• BekisoBekiso Member Posts: 7

Gritty, dark scifi/cyberpunk game with organized, corporate high-caste humans living in big cities VS anarchist, low-caste humans living in deserts, sewers, scrapyards etc, and some work as servants. Through evolution a notable breed difference develops between these two parties. Space travel so advanced, that couple of close planets are habitated and mining of minerals extends to outskirts of the galaxy.

Later in the game's story maybe Skynet or aliens, I don't know which! The cheesier the better. No, ZOMBIES.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

After reading the title of the thread, I immediately thought Wheel of Time.  So happy to see it was included on the list :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Return to Ispar.

based on the events some time in the future of Dereth when most of the human inhabitants finally found a way to return to their home world of Ispar.  Auberean, the world where Dereth is located in the Asherons Call universe.

Basically I would create an Asherons Call 3.  :)

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Bekiso

Gritty, dark scifi/cyberpunk game with organized, corporate high-caste humans living in big cities VS anarchist, low-caste humans living in deserts, sewers, scrapyards etc, and some work as servants. Through evolution a notable breed difference develops between these two parties. Space travel so advanced, that couple of close planets are habitated and mining of minerals extends to outskirts of the galaxy.

Later in the game's story maybe Skynet or aliens, I don't know which! The cheesier the better. No, ZOMBIES.

A slightly differeing idea of the ip setting for Vampire hunter D really. In that setting the world's culture and way of livng ended in a great war or cataclysm. Then a caste/race of Vampires that had hide before the events rises into the world along side being, demons, ans both mutant or cybernetuc being created via either magic or technology even possibly both of them. After rising from the ashes of the prior world's cultural remains they enslave/enthrall the remaining humanoids in the world into a society. Humans are food to the vampires even though they created a blood substitute they still prefer true human blood to synthetic blood. As the vampirs attained a point of scientific as well as mystic supreme levels they found that they had to fall after this zenith. As they fell the society they had created falls with them, and freeing humanity from the, Also in the world created from a union of a vampire as well as human women/man a race called Damphir that was half human, and hal vampiric holding much of the powers of the vampires yet little of their weaknesses. Being able to play as a Damphir, mutant, vampire, human, r even cyborgs or such in a game that is both high fantasy, sci fi and yeet a waste-land type ip setting would be perfect to me.

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33

I voted for Dragonlance but I would prefer an original IP. Dragonlance is pretty good for a fantasy setting and you can have lots of different races. I would love to ride a (Dragonlace-type) dragon, too.

(Wow I had to validate the fact that I am human to post this!)

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Blade Runner,  thats including the books too.